Why my video card run so hot?

I have a Radeon xxx 580. It should very easily be able to run this. I noticed even after 15 minutes of playing this game. I can feel the heat from my video card. How can I lower the settings? It won't be so noisy or hot? I could be able to easily play this for hours with no issue. I just don't know why it's getting so hot so quickly. Is there something I can turn down or off?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:Errm more / better cooling, clean your fans and tweak your settings both in gpu settings and in game setting.. aside from that, might be a case biting the bullet and upgrading your system some.

Radeon xxx 580 is pretty recent. Unsure why it would be so hot. Now that you're here. I have another question if you don't mind. How do I become a VIP?

@Icemanfrost.5428 said:

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:Errm more / better cooling, clean your fans and tweak your settings both in gpu settings and in game setting.. aside from that, might be a case biting the bullet and upgrading your system some.

Radeon xxx 580 is pretty recent. Unsure why it would be so hot. Now that you're here. I have another question if you don't mind. How do I become a VIP?

I know its pretty new.. which is why you might want to look at the cooling aspect of your system first.. does case have sufficient cooling options available. Do you have enough fans, are they set up correctly, are your fans/system clean (dust can be a real pita), is your system close to a heat source (hot radiator) so your effectively blowing in and out hot air. Do you have sufficient airflow around the case (ie not locked in tight cupboard :) )Once you have looked at those things and its still an issue then maybe your settings need tweaking.. lower your graphics settings to low and see how the temps vary.. if you see something significant then maybe your system is struggling to run at high settings.. might be a bad gpu, bad heatsink on gpu or just not really capable of running so high without hitting upper heat limits.My second system is runs with an old Nvidia GTX550Ti and runs mid settings at a pretty decent FPS and only hits around 66-72. I would love to see it drop another 10 degrees but then my feet would feel cold in the winter :)

As for VIP.. best ask one of the more prevalent posters about that one. I have been here since before the start maybe that helps>???

@Menadena.7482 said:Your video card should not be overheating as this game taxes the cpu more. Are you just doing general stuff or is it a busy scene (like a boss fight)? Are lots of other things running on your computer?

I changed my frame rate to 30 to see if that helps. I could just be casually fighting with monsters. Normally just leveling up in my zone. No matter what. II notice it will start to get louder. Then about 15 minutes into it. I can feel the heat from it pouring out. It makes it impossible to play for more than an hour at a time.

@Icemanfrost.5428 said:My Shader cache is off.

I have morphological filter on

Anti Aliasing is set to Muti-Sampling

Can you maybe post a picture of the inside of your case? It would make it easier for us to see if it's something obvious that is responsible for overheating. When you lower your graphics settings, you are not doing anything to find the root cause.

@Icemanfrost.5428 said:

VIP? What, where, who? :D

@Faaris.8013 said:

@"Icemanfrost.5428" said:My Shader cache is off.

I have morphological filter on

Anti Aliasing is set to Muti-Sampling

Can you maybe post a picture of the inside of your case? It would make it easier for us to see if it's something obvious that is responsible for overheating. When you lower your graphics settings, you are not doing anything to find the root cause.

https://imgur.com/a/0Xokr

https://imgur.com/01TxiKa

@"Icemanfrost.5428" said:I have a Radeon xxx 580. It should very easily be able to run this. I noticed even after 15 minutes of playing this game. I can feel the heat from my video card.

Install the software that comes with your graphics card. I have no experience with Radeon, but I assume it has software, too, that lets you regulate its fan control. Simply adjust the setting so that the fan(s) will run at 100% when a certain temperature (I suggest 50° C) has been reached.

Edit: Just googled this. However, I would recommend to use the card's manufacturer's software instead for this purpose.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"Icemanfrost.5428" said:I have a Radeon xxx 580. It should very easily be able to run this. I noticed even after 15 minutes of playing this game. I can feel the heat from my video card.

Install the software that comes with your graphics card. I have no experience with Radeon, but I assume it has software, too, that lets you regulate its fan control. Simply adjust the setting so that the fan(s) will run at 100% when a certain temperature (I suggest 50° C) has been reached.

Edit: Just googled
. However, I would recommend to use the card's manufacturer's software instead for this purpose.

I have CD drive that came with it, however sadly. I don't have a CD rom. My old one had problems and I just opted not to get a new one. I installed something called AMD overdrive but I really didn't understand how to adjust the settings.

@Icemanfrost.5428 said:

@Icemanfrost.5428 said:I have a Radeon xxx 580. It should very easily be able to run this. I noticed even after 15 minutes of playing this game. I can feel the heat from my video card.

. However, I would recommend to use the card's manufacturer's software instead for this purpose.

I have CD drive that came with it, however sadly. I don't have a CD rom. My old one had problems and I just opted not to get a new one. I installed something called AMD overdrive but I really didn't understand how to adjust the settings.

EEEKKK are you overclocking the GPU and if so do you know how/what your doing when overclocking it.. cos isn't AMD overdrive specifically for overclocking your GPU (not used a radeon card in like 10 years so haven't used it personally).If you have overclocked it, even knowingly I would suggest setting it back to defaults pretty quickly.. the noisy fan is likely your GPU fan going into "OMG" mode :)

Suggest downloading and running the stock Radeon software that came with your card to control your temps/fan speeds, you don't need a cd rom these days just go to the AMD website enter your card details/op system and you should see the software somewhere for download.

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

@Icemanfrost.5428 said:I have a Radeon xxx 580. It should very easily be able to run this. I noticed even after 15 minutes of playing this game. I can feel the heat from my video card.

EEEKKK are you overclocking the GPU and if so do you know how/what your doing when overclocking it.. cos isn't AMD overdrive specifically for overclocking your GPU (not used a radeon card in like 10 years so haven't used it personally).If you have overclocked it, even knowingly I would suggest setting it back to defaults pretty quickly.. the noisy fan is likely your GPU fan going into "OMG" mode :)

Suggest downloading and running the stock Radeon software that came with your card to control your temps/fan speeds, you don't need a cd rom these days just go to the AMD website enter your card details/op system and you should see the software somewhere for download.

Thanks. I'll try to download it and re-run it. Sometimes it will randomly freeze up. When I set it to 30 FPS it starts to shake the screen. I don't know why. I don't mean to overclock it but I might be doing it accidentally.

@Icemanfrost.5428 said:I have CD drive that came with it, however sadly. I don't have a CD rom.

Not sure what CD Drive is (and why a graphics software would be called that), but you don't need a CD Rom drive to install any software, as the latest version can always be downloaded from the manufacturer's website.

Edit: How about you post the exact name (manufacturer and model) of your graphics card and I will find you the software if you are having difficulty with such matters? :) Tweaking the graphics settings won't solve your overheating issue. ;)

@"Icemanfrost.5428" said:

What case do you have? How many case fans? Is your cpu cooler fan set to draw from the top and vent to the bottom? I would swap that fan to the bottom to push hot air up if you have top exhaust and front intake fans or just rotate the cooler 90 degrees clockwise to draw from the front and vent to the back.

@No One.3716 said:

@"Icemanfrost.5428" said:

What case do you have? How many case fans? Is your cpu cooler fan set to draw from the top and vent to the bottom? I would swap that fan to the bottom to push hot air up if you have top exhaust and front intake fans or just rotate the cooler 90 degrees clockwise to draw from the front and vent to the back.

It has two fans in the front. One of the legs on right side is a little off. I don't think that's causing the heat. It becomes extremely hot. I download MSI afterburner. However I had to change the graphics to Medium. A radeon 580 xxx should be able to play this with no problem. It has two sides one for data mining and you can flip it and one for video card. Maybe my graphics guy put it in wrong but it just becomes insanely hot.

I often have quit playing after an hour because the heat is un-berable. That's a shame because I really like this game.

@"Elspereth.1280" said:In another thread you were saying that your card was running at around 50 degrees. Are you now saying that it is hotter than that? 50 degrees for a modern card really isn't hot.

It was going all the way max to 90 degrees. I didn't know how hot it was. I had change graphics to medium and download MSI after burner to try manually set it. I know have it set at 50 degrees, the lowest it will go but the game often crashes or runs very choppy. I really do like this game. I've spent hours playing it. Almost everytime I run the game. It has an "hold on we need check data on guild wars 2"

It's been reapairing the data almost everytime it runs. It's exhausting. I don't know if I should get a better video card or a case.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Icemanfrost.5428 said:I have CD drive that came with it, however sadly. I don't have a CD rom.

Not sure what CD Drive is (and why a graphics software would be called that), but you don't need a CD Rom drive to install any software, as the latest version can always be downloaded from the manufacturer's website.

Edit: How about you post the exact name (manufacturer and model) of your graphics card and I will find you the software if you are having difficulty with such matters? :) Tweaking the graphics settings won't solve your overheating issue. ;)

Eeerm pretty sure tweaking your settings will reduce heat as your GPU heats up the harder it has to work to attain those all important fps.By tweaking things down in game or via your gpu software (NVidia control panel etc) heat is reduce as demand drops.I can drop my settings down and get a 5-10degree temp difference .. sure I detriment my game quality but it might save my graphics card from going full meltdown... why on earth do you think they have heatsinks and fans on the cards.. hmmm.

In the OP's case I would hazard a guess its a combination of poor airflow management, possible overclocking without knowing what they are doing and high settings.. all three making a potential boom boom pow possibility.

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

Eeerm pretty sure tweaking your settings will reduce heat as your GPU heats up the harder it has to work to attain those all important fps.By tweaking things down in game or via your gpu software (NVidia control panel etc) heat is reduce as demand drops.I can drop my settings down and get a 5-10degree temp difference .. sure I detriment my game quality but it might save my graphics card from going full meltdown... why on earth do you think they have heatsinks and fans on the cards.. hmmm.

In the OP's case I would hazard a guess its a combination of poor airflow management, possible overclocking without knowing what they are doing and high settings.. all three making a potential boom boom pow possibility.

It's very odd because my system has to repair the archive almost every-time I start up guild wars 2. It's repairing it right now. I find that very odd. I did lower my graphics from High to Med. I am considering changing it to 30 fps but it looks very choppy. I will try to clean the system later today. I just want so badly to play this game.

@Icemanfrost.5428 said:

@"Elspereth.1280" said:In another thread you were saying that your card was running at around 50 degrees. Are you now saying that it is hotter than that? 50 degrees for a modern card really isn't hot.

It was going all the way max to 90 degrees. I didn't know how hot it was. I had change graphics to medium and download MSI after burner to try manually set it. I know have it set at 50 degrees, the lowest it will go but the game often crashes or runs very choppy. I really do like this game. I've spent hours playing it. Almost everytime I run the game. It has an "hold on we need check data on guild wars 2"

It's been reapairing the data almost everytime it runs. It's exhausting. I don't know if I should get a better video card or a case.

Going to guess1- you need to reinstall GW2 again rather than repair it.2 - You need to check how your fans have been installed along with your CPU cooling.... ie do you have a mix of inflow and outflow (exhaust).3 - You need to install some fan control software.. stop using overclocking software if you don't know what your doing with it.4 - Look at the various guides on the net when it comes to GPU setting and game settings relevant to Guildwars2 - there are a few decent ones to look at, in fact this forum I believe has some links to some decent options (at least the old forums did, not sure if they still exist, try the support pages)5 - If your still getting issues, list out your stsyem specs and I am sure a few techies around here will dive in and try to help.

@Icemanfrost.5428 said:

It's very odd because my system has to repair the archive almost every-time I start up guild wars 2. It's repairing it right now. I find that very odd. I did lower my graphics from High to Med. I am considering changing it to 30 fps but it looks very choppy. I will try to clean the system later today. I just want so badly to play this game.

Take a screenie of your GW2 graphics settings, list out your system specs and maybe we can spot something - with your GPU you should easy be running at 60FPS.. something is causing this or its been setup badly and its now damaged the gpu.. BUT THAT SEEMS LESS LIKELY.

Do you get any issues using other applications?

Just taken a look at the Radeon xfx 580.. seems that card does run a little hotter and the fans tend to kick in at around 40degrees.. the loud fans might be caused with them ramping straight up to full speed or something between stock temp and fullspeed if your ambient temps are above 40degs.. ie are you near a hot radiator, is your heating up real high anyway.If you have no fan control software installed you might not be running the fans at the right speeds as temps increase.I would say that on high settings you should be seeing temps around 65-75degrees and 60 fps is more than achievable..

Archived