How is mesmer leveling these days?

Echoherb.6528

Mesmer's used to be one of the worst classes to level, but with the recent changes has that gotten better? I'm trying to decide what to use my last boost on. I enjoy leveling and learning the class, but I want to free up the shared inventory slot so I'm trying to decide what would be the worst class to level to use it on.

... I think its pretty much exactly the same as 6 years ago lol. Half of the trick is going full damage and greatsword in a vanilla mesmer leveling phase, anything else is too slow. And of course the other half is getting gear at the right time (ie buy a full set of green gear every 10 level or so, I believe its at level X4 or something you get the good stuff at that level interval and then you dont need to upgrade until the next time, except if you get drops of course).

It isn't as bad. I would avoid scepter and staff though. In my opinion, the attacks from staff and scepter are slow paced even with the clones (unless you choose to go condi). One handed sword with OH sword is a more fast paced combination since the OH sword phantasm is pretty strong with a low CD. GS #2 is good damage with a low CD as well.

With the phantasms rework, you can use shatters more often without having to wait on the attacks from the phantasms.

@Dawdler.8521 said:... I think its pretty much exactly the same as 6 years ago lol

What? It's night and day, and mesmer is one of the fastest class to clear mobs with now.

You can kill most random mobs with sword 2, mantra of pain and F1, even less depending on your gear. For anything worth the effort, you open G4, switch to Sw/Sw, sword 5, disenchanter, Ether, sword 5, disenchanter, sword 2. Throw some mantras and F1 in there.

That's ridiculous burst, higher than most other classes. And with mounts, you can forget mesmer's other problem, having to maintain swiftness.

@RabbitUp.8294 said:You can kill most random mobs with sword 2, mantra of pain and F1, even less depending on your gear. For anything worth the effort, you open G4, switch to Sw/Sw, sword 5, disenchanter, Ether, sword 5, disenchanter, sword 2. Throw some mantras and F1 in there.

Your mesmer didnt have swords and greatsword at launch? Man that must have been boring :/the mounts make it faster sure but it was never required. If we ignore them... its the same as before.

I think it's THE fastest mob killing class, power Mesmer has the highest burst in the game - always did (surprisingly no one remembers that) and normal mobs die with GS2 in melee range > GS3 > F1, it's a one second combo. It may not have that much aoe but who the hell farms mobs in groups? I've never seen anyone do that except in squads which you don't even care about aoe since everything dies so fast around you.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@RabbitUp.8294 said:You can kill most random mobs with sword 2, mantra of pain and F1, even less depending on your gear. For anything worth the effort, you open G4, switch to Sw/Sw, sword 5, disenchanter, Ether, sword 5, disenchanter, sword 2. Throw some mantras and F1 in there.

Your mesmer didnt have swords and greatsword at launch? Man that must have been boring :/the mounts make it faster sure but it was never required. If we ignore them... its the same as before.

Nice meme.

It's not like mesmer got more damage oriented traits, and phantasms are burst focused now. Thanks for the uninformed comment.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

Swordsman, Disenchanter, Defender, Blurred Frenzy and auto attacks got buffed 6 years ago. :)

@RabbitUp.8294 said:

Nice meme.

It's not like mesmer got more damage oriented traits, and phantasms are burst focused now. Thanks for the uninformed comment.This is irrelevant for levelling as you dont care for maximizing damage, all you get is decent at any given level by getting full damage gear. And the greatsword has always been the decently fast weapon.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

Nice meme.

It's not like mesmer got more damage oriented traits, and phantasms are burst focused now. Thanks for the uninformed comment.This is irrelevant for levelling as you dont care for maximizing damage, all you get is decent at any given level by getting full damage gear. And the greatsword has always been the decently fast weapon.

Of course damage is relevant and burst even more so. Why do you think mesmer had a bad rep all those years? Mobility is one thing, but even without mounts, there's SoI+focus. The biggest problem was bad damage, especially aoe. Both of those are gone, and mesmer a very strong burst in the game, while still maintaining strong sustained damage.

Saying mesmer is exactly the same as it was 6 years ago is just so very wrong.

Archived