Profession popularity

chronicler.7160

@"MarshallLaw.9260" said:Seems fairly close to the stats found on GWefficiency :https://gw2efficiency.com/account/player-statistics

Bear in mind that these come from players who have accounts registered with the site only, so the stats give some indication of the full picture but cannot be taken as a 100% accurate representation.

I am surprised that guardian is the most popular. I thought warrior and ele will be ahead. I am also surprised necro was ahead of Mesmer.

The playtime on GW2efficiency is probably more relevant than the raw # of characters of any given profession. Most people, myself included, would like to have one of each class in their char slots. The difference is how much time you spend on any given profession.

@otto.5684 said:

@"MarshallLaw.9260" said:Seems fairly close to the stats found on GWefficiency :

Bear in mind that these come from players who have accounts registered with the site only, so the stats give some indication of the full picture but cannot be taken as a 100% accurate representation.

I am surprised that guardian is the most popular. I thought warrior and ele will be ahead. I am also surprised necro was ahead of Mesmer.

Oh, guardian has been the most popular for a very long time. Don't get me wrong, warrior and ele are also popular, but guardian has been just slightly above them.

If you're wondering why engineer is so low, there's a thread about it:

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/29583/why-so-few-engineers/p1

What do you garner from this information? Nothing.

People pick their mains for various reasons, and for a lot of people it's because some classes require physical abilities that are beyond them. It seems bizarre to think that such an inclusively-minded company would champion exclusivity when it comes to the classes.

@Svarty.8019 said:What do you garner from this information? Nothing.

People pick their mains for various reasons, and for a lot of people it's because some classes require physical abilities that are beyond them. It seems bizarre to think that such an inclusively-minded company would champion exclusivity when it comes to the classes.

is just for fun , and to be fair , not played classes are a big issue , when u have a class that is played by 18% and other 7% , it means there is something wrong maybe the class isnt cool looking , or has issues beyond gameplay and fun , or something that as Dev u dont notice.

and thats why Holosmith was created probably , to bring more ppl to play Eng.

@Warlyx.6732 said:

is just for fun , and to be fair , not played classes are a big issue , when u have a class that is played by 18% and other 7% , it means there is something wrong maybe the class isnt cool looking , or has issues beyond gameplay and fun , or something that as Dev u dont notice.

Let me give you some examples;Mesmer and thief, specifically, and probably engineer and non-staff ele are all twitchy classes that means they are exclusively for more agile players. You won't find as many older players on these classes, and you will find a lot of younger players on them, I can guarantee that.

Less agile players go for simpler classes, look at ranger and necro, maybe warrior and guardian, staff elementalist. I've noticed that these are often played by the old codgers.

I won't even say anything about the gender divide, but you'll find something similar. Of course there will be odd exceptions to the rule, but you'll GENERALLY find these to be correct.

Sadly, Arenanet segregated their own playerbase. That's just frustrating for ALL of us.

@Svarty.8019 said:

Let me give you some examples;Mesmer and thief, specifically, and probably engineer and non-staff ele are all twitchy classes that means they are exclusively for more agile players. You won't find as many older players on these classes, and you will find a lot of younger players on them, I can guarantee that.

Less agile players go for simpler classes, look at ranger and necro, maybe warrior and guardian, staff elementalist. I've noticed that these are often played by the old codgers.

I won't even say anything about the gender divide, but you'll find something similar. Of course there will be odd exceptions to the rule, but you'll GENERALLY find these to be correct.

Sadly, Arenanet segregated their own playerbase. That's just frustrating for ALL of us.

Lol lets be real anyone under 40 can play "twitchy" mmo professions . mmo are sloowwww

Now fps games? That's different

By that logic the wvw community is 40+ bunch of retired old folks

@Svarty.8019 said:

Necro is popular for young players too , its a necro! , Ele is your wizard archetype so popular as hell, Ranger is popular as well , because archer and pet (look at wow Hunter)

Male or Female meh , my gf when played decided to play an Asura MALE , necromancer because it looked funny :lol:

Anyway is true that age and sex have something to say , but in the end what works is what is played Guardians are at the top of the "most" played proff for a reason.

Because is fun , it looks cool , and have some variety , from support , to power , to condi , to tanky ect

Other proffesions dont have that luck , and are stuck on crappy power spec , or not fun condi spec , or are annoying to play , dont look cool enough or 1 elite is worthless and u are forced to play X .

in the end is Anet the one to see the real numbers , and why some proffs are underplayed.

@Svarty.8019 said:

I would not argue that engineer is a twitchy class. Depending on kit, it can theoretically be a spammy class (grenade kit in particular), but not twitchy. It's less popular because it requires the use of combo fields to be the most effective, which is a relatively in-depth system for this game. The only other class that even comes close to using combo fields as extensively is elementalist, and it's not a critical part of the class.

@"MikeL.8260" said:I expected Necro to be the most played class with second being Guardian. Feels like no matter where I am or look a Necro is running about.

Aside from engineer or rev there are no classes that are really "rare". Roughly 1/10 players is going to be on a necro at any one time, and with how many players are about you're bound to see one. Second, necromancers are particularly notable. Whether they're running around with a gigantic petting zoo, or they're throwing shades everywhere, if a necromancer is around they'll be pretty visible.

Their visibility is the most important part. If there was a profession that caused noxious screeching sounds everywhere it went, they would appear to be everywhere even if only 1/100 players played them.