We need griffons to benefit from updrafts

Draco.9480

I like my griffon the way it is. (Or the way it was before they changed the ascending part).I like having a purpose for having fully mastered my gliding, and having had to work for those masteries. I feel/felt accomplished when I finally unlocked updrafts and I was able to go to Patriarch at Verdant Brink. Or when I finally finished out gliding and got ley line gliding, making crossing platforms at dragonstand easier.

Griffon has its purposes already, let's stop mixing the two expansions even further or trying to make one huge aspect of a previous expansion obsolete.

Griffon can glide further than a glider can, but glider range can be extended with updrafts and leylines. If the griffon could use updrafts (and/or leylines), they would be able to reach even more places, possibly breaking some maps even worse than they are now.

Plus, it's easy to say "let them use updrafts", but griffons do more than glide. How would wing flaps interact with updrafts and leylines? Can you power dive in an updraft? What happens if you dive to build speed, can an updraft or leyline be passed through before they affect you or will you maybe get flung through the air by combining the two?

I would have a ton of fun if a griffon could use updrafts, but I don't think it's a good idea.

@Oglaf.1074 said:

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:Can't fathom why they are restricted from using the airdrafts.. additionally why can't we switch back from griffon to glider if its possible to do it the other way round

To not entirely make Gliders irrelevant?

Griffon will never get updraft capabilities.

Gliders wont be irrelevant.. those players without PoF cant use griffons but can use gliders if they have HoT.. but yes I can see how the use of a glider could be more limited... I will give you that.So then maybe allow swapping of griffon to glider in flight to utilise the air drafts.. seems silly you can swap glider to griffon and gain extra heights, swoops, etc but then cant utilise airdraft by swapping back to glider. It's not like we can fly endlessly on a griffon or a glider so sometimes we need to utilise the benefits of both during flight.

@Nick Lentz.6982 said:

@Nick Lentz.6982 said:Game mechanic wise, it makes no sense why a flying creature can not use an updraft

No perhaps not game mechanics wise, but for other "mechanics" reasons ... that the griffon and rider are too heavy?

How does a Griffin have the ability to dive/ return to same altitude though? I don't think physics work that way.

Aerodynamics I think would argue that with you. Planes and non-powered gliders dive and return with ease.

My point was that perhaps the updrafts aren't inherently strong enough to provide enough thrust (not lift) on such a heavy creature whereas the amount of force that the updrafts do provide is just enough for a character on a glider.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Nick Lentz.6982 said:Game mechanic wise, it makes no sense why a flying creature can not use an updraft

No perhaps not game mechanics wise, but for other "mechanics" reasons ... that the griffon and rider are too heavy?

How does a Griffin have the ability to dive/ return to same altitude though? I don't think physics work that way.

Aerodynamics I think would argue that with you. Planes and non-powered gliders dive and return with ease.

My point was that perhaps the updrafts aren't inherently strong enough to provide enough thrust (not lift) on such a heavy creature whereas the amount of force that the updrafts do provide is just enough for a character on a glider.

Im not sure that a griffon, with rider, is as aerodynamic as is required of gliders and aeroplanes need to be to achieve this result.

A solid no from me. Griffons already have a much extended range and speed over gliders without updrafts. The whole idea is the Griffon is for fast air travel, and the glider is for nimble, technical air travel, and they are more useful in their respective environments. Having them stay that way ensures they never overlap, so it gives players a reason to utilise both, instead of favouring one over the other. By having the Griffon use updrafts it would give players less of a reason to use the glider, which considering gliders are one of the primary selling points of HOT, would be disappointing to not have as much reason to use them. Having that overlap favoring Griffons could be considered as encouragement of a gear treadmill.

@lokh.2695 said:I would support this, but seeing that updrafts are considered to be a HoT-thing, where the griffon is a PoF-thing, I doubt that ANet will put them together somehow. remember that you don't need one expansion for the other or any expansion at all and I think Anet wants to keep the content sepparated to some degree.

Still, I'd be happy should they do it some day ;)

Going by that logic, that is like saying Anet should have left the ability to glide in HoT zones only and not anywhere else, yet they didn't limit gliding to HoT zones only, just like they didn't limit mounts to PoF zones only, which was smart!

With that being said in mind, since Anet has made the ability to glide global throughout the game, then Anet can (and should) make Griffon's compatible with updrafts and leylines from their respective expansions outside of PoF. Period. There is no good excuse not to do it. Most players are still going to (and still continue to) buy new Glider Skins just to have them, regardless if they have a Griffon mount or not, because not everyone likes the same song and dance when they are in the air. They may want to use their Griffon, or they may want to look tricked out in their Glider(s). It is that simple.

Archived