Wonder why some people never WVW

FASTCAR.7831

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Cuddy.6247 said:

@Cuddy.6247 said:I'm hoping that the server restructure helps a bit in the game. Tonight I got on around 2 hours ago. Didn't even reach max participation because enemies outnumbered us so heavily. I had to take a tower alone for the daily.

But you know. Fort Aspenwood is "full."

WvW is a joke of a game mode. Anyone who thinks it's fun needs a psych eval.

FA is currently Very High not Full.

There was a lot of good fights on ebg between all 3 sides around durios for a good two hours tonight. The new system should help move some people around for better coverage balance.

"Good" fights? It was everyone being holed up in a tower surrounded by aoes and banners. Either fought on the commander and died or had an arrow cart and made some progress. It was a joke, this entire game mode is just one giant joke. The day ANet finally finds the sense to add Gift of Battle to PvE somehow is the day this game mode finally dies.

The fights last night were pretty good for FA. No matter what, when fighting Mag you can guarantee it will end up being a fight in/around SMC, meaning dealing with siege. You need to prepare for that. If you are coming in with a full zerk + scholar runes build, without a healer pocketing you, you will die very fast.

@Gop.8713 said:I think a lot of it is just ppl come from pve where ultimately you're supposed to win, while in a well-designed, balanced pvp environment you're supposed to lose about half the time and that makes ppl uncomfortable . . .

If a game is intentionally controlling your win-loss ratio then it is absolutely not 'well-designed' and 'balanced'. Well-designed and balanced means you beat your opponent by playing better than they do; not because of some silly bullshit.

@derd.6413 said:because open world pvp and getting one shot by mesmers doesn't appeal to everybody

Situational awareness, stunbreakers, toughness/vitality and rolling makes that go away.

@Shagaliscious.6281 said:

@Cuddy.6247 said:I'm hoping that the server restructure helps a bit in the game. Tonight I got on around 2 hours ago. Didn't even reach max participation because enemies outnumbered us so heavily. I had to take a tower alone for the daily.

There was a lot of good fights on ebg between all 3 sides around durios for a good two hours tonight. The new system should help move some people around for better coverage balance.

"Good" fights? It was everyone being holed up in a tower surrounded by aoes and banners. Either fought on the commander and died or had an arrow cart and made some progress. It was a joke, this entire game mode is just one giant joke. The day ANet finally finds the sense to add Gift of Battle to PvE somehow is the day this game mode finally dies.

The fights last night were pretty good for FA. No matter what, when fighting Mag you can guarantee it will end up being a fight in/around SMC, meaning dealing with siege. You need to prepare for that. If you are coming in with a full zerk + scholar runes build, without a healer pocketing you, you will die very fast.

Then we have awfully low expectations. He died constantly and eventually lagged out due to the cluster. And lost the tower due to both the pressure and the lack of engagement.

I'm one of those weirdos that like an occasional good story when PvPing, something that would surprise me in good or bad ways such questionable decisions, unforeseen consequences, death by environment, clutch save by the Ogre Rune's rock dog accidently acting as a meat shield, players with strange behaviors and so on.

I don't find it in WvW anymore, and the elite specs made my thrill disappear, it mostly became a matter of who had most of everything and important abilities no longer were cards to play.

@"Cuddy.6247" said:

@"Shagaliscious.6281" said:

lol we all were fighting around durios most of the night, either FA or TC held that tower those times, the siege came from either of those two in there. We would have fought open field but neither side wanted to do that for long, FA zerg stared at us from inside durios tower at one point, the same with TC zerg in anz which I have pictured below.

Speaking of siege.. mag does the most fighting IN siege, rather their opponents. Complain about mag siege, but take a moment and check what your server and others are doing which helps ruin this game mode a little more, like the picture below is how every tower is these days. I mean use siege to stall big groups attacking and countersiege... but not when you also have a zerg to defend..

nqQJ15V.jpg

When your side dont have scourges nor fb's and ur queued..... while the otehr 2 server blobs are mostly of scourges and fb's...Alot of players felt how the game is made to play trough imbalance and broken builds on solo or blob.

This actually happened....this week.

I will tell you why I didn't WvW for about 4 ½ years of playing this game.

I am not a very good PvP player. I was afraid that I can't get anything done because I would constantly die. And I would get really annoyed about people ganking and/or corpse jumping me.

Well, now that I have done WvW a bit, I'm still a bad player and often lose to enemy players when roaming. And I get really annoyed about people ganking and/or corpse jumping me, especially with troll builds. (do they really have to go out of their way to mob one person when they are five?)

But at least I get a shitload of transmutation charges now, which was the main reason I started to do WvW.

@LetoII.3782 said:

@"SkyShroud.2865" said:Why peopel don't wvw.....same reason why maple story was a huge sucessAgreed, the Rpg crowd isn't much for losing in general. Personally I find the no-player-left-behind difficulty of gw2's pve unappealing.. If I play chess with my 2y/o nephew instead I at least get family points.

I remembered I was the first batch of players for english ms beta, rushing level along other hardcore players and within a week I quit as I find it pointless. Before that, I was playing Knight Online where golds drop on pvp death and pvp kills yield honor iirc. And before that a few other mmorpgs and many of which had even more punishing deaths. For example, in helbreath, one will drop a random gear on death. After ms, I went to wc3, invited to team to enter dota competitions in local scenes. I also plays city builders, rts, rpg, survival, facebook games etc.

Despite all the gaming, still don't understand why people would play pve mmorpg. Killing and getting killed make one realize the mmorpg world is a dangerous place and that dangerous feelings are exciting, it brings the world "alive". I do understand there are things to do in pve but I'm sure as hell it do get old yet some people can keep repeating the same old rotations, same old positions, same old patterns over and over again. I am not sure that is dedication or just....personality?

@XenesisII.1540 said:

@"Cuddy.6247" said:

@"Shagaliscious.6281" said:

lol we all were fighting around durios most of the night, either FA or TC held that tower those times, the siege came from either of those two in there. We would have fought open field but neither side wanted to do that for long, FA zerg stared at us from inside durios tower at one point, the same with TC zerg in anz which I have pictured below.

Speaking of siege.. mag does the most fighting IN siege, rather their opponents. Complain about mag siege, but take a moment and check what your server and others are doing which helps ruin this game mode a little more, like the picture below is how every tower is these days. I mean use siege to stall big groups attacking and countersiege... but not when you also have a zerg to defend..

nqQJ15V.jpg

Ah, my bad, I guess the cannons and sup AC's that you guys were raining down on us when we got through outer SMC was you guys fighting in siege, gotcha.

@Cuddy.6247 said:

Then we have awfully low expectations. He died constantly and eventually lagged out due to the cluster. And lost the tower due to both the pressure and the lack of engagement.

Just out of curiosity, what class and build do you run in WVW?

@LetoII.3782 said:

@SkyShroud.2865 said:Why peopel don't wvw.....same reason why maple story was a huge sucessAgreed, the Rpg crowd isn't much for losing in general. Personally I find the no-player-left-behind difficulty of gw2's pve unappealing.. If I play chess with my 2y/o nephew instead I at least get family points.

Yeah I wish pve mobs were more unpredictable. It's so boring otherwise - learn set pattern and execute it.

And this might be weird but I'd love to see veteran and above mobs have a downed state - so stomping became a thing in pve.

@Curunen.8729 said:

@SkyShroud.2865 said:Why peopel don't wvw.....same reason why maple story was a huge sucessAgreed, the Rpg crowd isn't much for losing in general. Personally I find the no-player-left-behind difficulty of gw2's pve unappealing.. If I play chess with my 2y/o nephew instead I at least get family points.

And this might be weird but I'd love to see veteran and above mobs have a downed state - so stomping became a thing in pve.

Not that weird, and it's already been done. Many of the toxic alliance have a downed state, introduced with the Nightmare Tower in LS1. You can still see them in Kessex Hills, at least.

I wonder why some people don't play chess. I wonder why some people don't play baseball. Maybe some people are just into story (of which is there none in WvW). Maybe some people want to relax instead of being competitive after a long day of work. Maybe some people find WvW to be too repetitive, because it's the same towers over and over again.

People who don't like PvE think PvE is too repetitive, but there are far far more areas where I can go in PvE that look different and feel different.

Maybe some people have different preferences. I don't even really understand the question.

Edit: This doesn't include some people with particularly high ping who live in foreign countries, people will slow internet connections or lots of lag, who simply can't play it

@Euryon.9248 said:

Not that weird, and it's already been done. Many of the toxic alliance have a downed state, introduced with the Nightmare Tower in LS1. You can still see them in Kessex Hills, at least.

Yeah I remember them, shame the downstate mechanic is not more widespread. There's so much flashy stuff in pve now anyway that adding finishers to the mix should be fine (might even drive gemstore purchases more, who knows).

@XenesisII.1540 said:

@Shagaliscious.6281 said:Ah, my bad, I guess the cannons and sup AC's that you guys were raining down on us when we got through outer SMC was you guys fighting in siege, gotcha.

You mean that time when you guys brought 10 omegas to south smc? Yeah I guess I should have given you guys a break from the cannons then.

Nope, wasn't us. We got there after that. I'm just gonna end with this, you guys claim that you hate fighting in siege, which is understandable, but then you act like you don't use siege yourselves. Mag uses siege, FA uses siege, EVERYBODY uses siege. Stop acting like you don't.

@Gretzel.6790 said:If a game is intentionally controlling your win-loss ratio then it is absolutely not 'well-designed' and 'balanced'. Well-designed and balanced means you beat your opponent by playing better than they do; not because of some silly kitten.

Yes, thanks, that makes my point exactly :)

The trouble, obv, is that when you're playing against actual ppl and not ai you're going to lose some bc no one is better than everyone else. And in a well-designed, balanced environment you're going to lose about half the time. But ppl can't accept that bc everyone believes they're above average lol . . .

Simply because each of us has different taste and interests. It is not because I like WvW that it means that it shall be good for others. Many of my friends don't like it and don't understand why people so much like WvW whereas PvE is such big fun for them. It's only a matter of personal criteria to define what is fun for self. And that's good so to my eyes. If everybody would like the same and all do the same... That would be so boring! Variety is important. :)

@"TheGrimm.5624" said:If you think about WvW is one of the few spots that build, class, playstyle, gear, rotations all really matter.

Funnily enough the reason I always loved wvw so much was because it was the one place where build/gear/playstyle etc didn't matter haha!

You could use any gear stats that you wanted and still contribute effectively (not just Berserker or gtfo), you could try fun niche builds and interesting rune choices instead of Scholars/"max dmg omg" type approach, it let you actually explore the depth of the game instead of being subjected to the sort of "this encounter has been solved already and if you don't conform to the preexisting solution then you're a selfish player who's playing wrong" mentality that was infesting pve.It was just such a different atmosphere from the rest of the game. Nobody cared about taking a few minutes longer than some "optimal" time, nobody cared about the gear anyone else had, everybody was grown up enough to understand that losing/dying in a computer game wasn't the end of the world. Generally just everything felt more chill there. Which in turn let me experiment with builds in peace. Maybe at the cost of a few extra deaths, but who's counting? =)

Archived