[Elite Suggestion] Maniac

Regon Phoenix.8215

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Synstylae.2751 said:

@Jack Redline.5379 said:great sword is really not a good weapon for Thief also Maniac could be a sort of Berserker which alraedy is Warior sry i must say no

@Synstylae.2751 said:Bad idea, greatswords dont fit into thieves weaponry, nice effort though, but still no

Many weapons don't fit many classes, but it still fit somehow. Anet could make it fit and why doesn't it fit thief. Thief essentially is an agile and fast attacker who avoid attacks as a form of defense and perform specific heavy attacks then retreat after attacking either through stealth or mobility. What i presented fits this perfectly, but my elite more focused on damage instead of mobility/stealth, but other than that it is fit to the core idea of thief.

There is nothing fast and agile about greatswords. Thieves are also considered far less muscular than warriors, i doubt a thief could even lift a greatsword, thats why they usually stick to small one handed weapons. Giving staff to thieves was a mistake on anet's behalf, it must have been the choice with least work.

I just do not want another THW to be honest.

Dual swords , or a mace or even torch would be my preferences. OH sword alone would set up d/s , s/s , p/s which I can not help but feel will expand the number of builds used in game. The Combo's with mace and especially if usable in either hand will create even more build potential , and Torch OH using Pistol , sword or dagger in main has "Thief" written all over it thematically.

@Regon Phoenix.8215 said:

@Jack Redline.5379 said:great sword is really not a good weapon for Thief also Maniac could be a sort of Berserker which alraedy is Warior sry i must say no

@Synstylae.2751 said:Bad idea, greatswords dont fit into thieves weaponry, nice effort though, but still no

Many weapons don't fit many classes, but it still fit somehow. Anet could make it fit and why doesn't it fit thief. Thief essentially is an agile and fast attacker who avoid attacks as a form of defense and perform specific heavy attacks then retreat after attacking either through stealth or mobility. What i presented fits this perfectly, but my elite more focused on damage instead of mobility/stealth, but other than that it is fit to the core idea of thief.

There is nothing fast and agile about greatswords. Thieves are also considered far less muscular than warriors, i doubt a thief could even lift a greatsword, thats why they usually stick to small one handed weapons. Giving staff to thieves was a mistake on anet's behalf, it must have been the choice with least work.

This is not dark souls and its not about imagination. You have a good idea here, but it just does not fit thief in any way. Also with your argument anything can fit anyone if you use enough imagination. Behold pink warriors that shoot rainbows from tiny wands.

• 4 months later...

@Synstylae.2751 said:

but it just does not fit thief in any way.

Then what does fit thief?

While i can accept the core idea of thief with greatsword, burst skills and charge mechanic tied to it, even if i don't like it, i find your implementation of it very "half-baked". So i brought some criticism with me.

1) Charge generation seems very unbalanced, you may generate tons of red charges with GS (much more than you may spend) and even single trait allow you to generate 3 red charges in 9 seconds with any weapon, whereas you may hardly generate 3 blue charges with both trait and charge-up (i'm not counting elite ability, but hey, why do i must sacrifice elite slot just to make core mechanic work somehow?) which requires very specific traits and weapons to be used.2) Every elite specialization of any profession (except revenant) work properly without heal/utility/elite abilities assotiated with those specializations, they don't fell to be neccesary and you may see many builds that don't have those abilities in them. Those abilities should extend core mechanic, have interesting interactions with core mechanic, not be a default requirement that makes specialization work.3) Some trait choices feel too boring and obvious. If i want to be condi maniac, which traits will i pick? And if i'm power maniac which traits will i pick? Hmm... Even don't know. I see the only choice between damage (condi/power) and some survivability.4) The whole spec feels underpowered if you don't use GS with a power direction. You have to sacrifice too much (steal, few slots in right panel) for very doubtful benefit.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I know when the game came out the 3 things they talked about that set the thief aside from other charters was

1. steal skill -- which will give you a skill to use (why it was called thief)
  2. was the idea of (dual skills) what is meant by this, is the 3rd skill would change depending on what you had on your left hand (wither it be a weapon or nothing) Thing to note is that we did come out with a short bow at start so even tho the (dual skills) was a mechanism for the thief it still used a 2h weapon (and another thing to note a bow takes a lot of strength to pull)
  3. was the idea of stealth but not a constant stealth but more like burst stealth with one skill able to give others some temp stealth.

So the idea of the thief was a fast attacking stealthy skill stealing class (so even the dead-eye still kept the idea of the skill stealing even tho you did not tp to the enemy)best to describe the thief would be a (ninja\assassin\rouge type) can't see just assassin because the thief came with duel pistol which is not a very quite weapon lol

As for GS and Staff yes that is a weapon you use in if you n Ninjutsu. And assassins uses a rifle many times through out (resent) history and even now days

Also remember Samurais used Katana which some were 2h sword (tho yea they were not as big as some of they swords you see on cartoons lol)

@derd.6413 said:this looks like warr but for thief (no that's not a good thing) and the burst mechanic isn't well implemented (requires you take the espec utilities to work)

also this doesn't look very thief-y

I do agree that when I saw the charging and burst (although I have seen in many other mmo games) it does feel and sound a lot like the warrior (tho I don't put it past Anett to implement something like that after all they have given the (dual skill) mechanic to the weaver and the long stealth nearby ally to the scrapper and if I remember correctly the mirage.

The main thing I am think of about this is that the Great sword, rifle and staff does fit the stealth assassin type fighter (actually a QUITE A BIT MORE then the pistol pistol does) Now yes pistol dose fit the rogue part (so to speak gunslinger) of the thief .

And personally I would like to see a version of the Samurai with a Great sword which if we are going to Cantha I believe it would fit the lore.Tho if they rather give just give the off hand sword that would still fit the Samurai Idea (A note of interest is that wither it be 1 or 2 handed sword we would because of the (dual skill) mechanic still get 5 new skills lol.

@Phoenixtwolf.9213 said:

@derd.6413 said:this looks like warr but for thief (no that's not a good thing) and the burst mechanic isn't well implemented (requires you take the espec utilities to work)

also this doesn't look very thief-y

I do agree that when I saw the charging and burst (although I have seen in many other mmo games) it does feel and sound a lot like the warrior (tho I don't put it past Anett to implement something like that after all they have given the (dual skill) mechanic to the weaver and the long stealth nearby ally to the scrapper and if I remember correctly the mirage.i get what you're saying but i disagree. with weaver it felt more like they took mechanics that went well with their concept and this is more like taking said mechanics is the concept

The main thing I am think of about this is that the Great sword, rifle and staff does fit the stealth assassin type fighter (actually a QUITE A BIT MORE then the pistol pistol does) Now yes pistol dose fit the rogue part (so to speak gunslinger) of the thief .

this is something alot of ppl do but the classes are usually more diverse then one playstyle or theme

And personally I would like to see a version of the Samurai with a Great sword which if we are going to Cantha I believe it would fit the lore.Tho if they rather give just give the off hand sword that would still fit the Samurai Idea (A note of interest is that wither it be 1 or 2 handed sword we would because of the (dual skill) mechanic still get 5 new skills lol.

alot of ppl want GS on thief because they're thinking of katanas but there's only one (as far as i remember) katana in game (and it's a gemstore skin at that) while most other GS skins are big and bulky (and wouldn't fit the whole thief theme)

• 2 months later...

@Rinagal.9235 said:1) Charge generation seems very unbalanced, you may generate tons of red charges with GS (much more than you may spend) and even single trait allow you to generate 3 red charges in 9 seconds with any weapon, whereas you may hardly generate 3 blue charges with both trait and charge-up (i'm not counting elite ability, but hey, why do i must sacrifice elite slot just to make core mechanic work somehow?) which requires very specific traits and weapons to be used.

Well, that's to keep the class basis on the direct damage.Red charges means direct damage and this elite is focused on dealing direct damage, but it also offer some versatility like some other elites.For example it is not optional for dragonhunter to be played as healer support, but it is possible. It is not optional for spellbreaker play as condition bow, but it is possible.Well, same goes for this elite. The most viable build would focus on red charges, but you would also be able to play while focusing on other two. It wouldn't be optional, but it would be possible.Also, regarding blue charges:Major Trait 2 (Blue Means Degeneration) - a blue charge every 5 secMajor Trait 7 (Overcharged) - gain a bonus charge every time you gain a chargeUtility Charge-up 2 (Generate Aggression) - a blue charge every 8 secLets assume you would be using dagger in main hand, because it is the main condition weapon.Dagger's burst have 14 sec cd, yet you can generate 4 blue charges in 8 sec (with right traits).Now, if you want to generate blue charges for other weapons for their utility, then yeah, it would be hard to generate 3-4 charges. However, blue charges mostly offers conditions, so if you play power build, then why would you want to apply conditions? Except for pistol, but pistol benefits from blue charges greatly, so constantly generating them for pistol would be quite overpowered.

@Rinagal.9235 said:2) Every elite specialization of any profession (except revenant) work properly without heal/utility/elite abilities assotiated with those specializations, they don't fell to be neccesary and you may see many builds that don't have those abilities in them. Those abilities should extend core mechanic, have interesting interactions with core mechanic, not be a default requirement that makes specialization work.

Well, that's debatable. Dragonhunter is quite bad without traps, just like scrapper without gyros.I do see your point. However, you don't need heal/utilities/elite from this elite for it to work, because traits already allow you to generate charges on your own. Heal/utilities/elite does help it perform much better, but they aren't necessary for you to play, because you would be able to generate enough charges through traits faster than CD on burst skills run out. So, technically you don't need any other way to generate charges outside of traits.

@Rinagal.9235 said:3) Some trait choices feel too boring and obvious. If i want to be condi maniac, which traits will i pick? And if i'm power maniac which traits will i pick? Hmm... Even don't know. I see the only choice between damage (condi/power) and some survivability.

Condition:Major Trait 2 (Blue Means Degeneration)Major Trait 5 (Tactics? Nahhhh)Major Trait 7 (Overcharged) or Major Trait 8 (Only Madness Spreads) or Major Trait 9 (Madness Fuel)

Power:Major Trait 1 (Red Means Power)Major Trait 4 (Unstoppable Mobility)Major Trait 7 (Overcharged) or Major Trait 9 (Madness Fuel)

@Rinagal.9235 said:4) The whole spec feels underpowered if you don't use GS with a power direction. You have to sacrifice too much (steal, few slots in right panel) for very doubtful benefit.

True. GS would be the best and most optional weapon for this elite.P.S. you don't sacrifice steal. Steal gets replaced by burst. When an ability gets replaced by other ability, then old traits will still effect the new ability.

@"Regon Phoenix.8215" said:Theme: something like that classical bizarre fighter who wears no armor, carry oversized sword and perform reckless yet very fast attacks devastating enemies enemies like a madman. A class fantasy about a rogue like character who went insane, picked the most massive weapon available and started jumping, slashing, cutting, crashing, spinning and destroying everything around him/her.

New mechanic: charges (the will circle around your main-hand weapon and each individual charge will last for 20 sec; Similar how Assassin's charges looked in Diablo 2). There are three charges with different colors and charges can only be generated while you are in combat. Each color shows what that charge is all about: red - direct damage, blue - condition damage, green - healing. Thief can have up to 3 charges regardless of their color (for example you can have 3 green charges or 2 red charges and 1 green charge, but you can't have more that 3 total charges). In addition, steal gets replaced by burst (still counts towards all steal related traits) which works very similarly to warrior's burst, but with a tiny difference. Burst skills use up charges to gain additional power. More charges get used up = stronger burst you will get. Also, just like with warrior, this burst skill depends on your weapon choice.

Adept Minor Trait
(Abandon Reason)Unlock
Greatsword
and allow you to use
Charge-up
abilities.Replace
Steal
with
Burst
. Reduce your maximum initiative by 2.

Adept Major Trait Line
Major Trait 1
(Red Means Power)Scoring a critical hit against an enemy will give you
Red Charge
. Cooldown: 3 sec.
Major Trait 2
(Blue Means Degeneration)Inflicting an enemy with a poison will grant you
Blue Charge
. Cooldown: 5 sec.
Major Trait 3
(Green Means Retreat)When you enter stealth you gain
Green Charge
. Cooldown: 10 sec.

-

Master Minor Trait
(Power Charges Up)Every time you reach 3 charges you gain 5 stacks of might for 3 sec.

Master Major Trait Line
Major Trait 4
(Unstoppable Mobility)While you have Greatsword equipped your movement abilities will remove 1 damaging condition and 1 non-damaging condition.
Major Trait 5
(Tactics? Nahhhh)Conditions inflicted through your
Blue Charge
will last 30% longer.
Major Trait 6
(Temporal Sanity)When you get downed you will instantly consume all your
Green Charges
reviving yourself by 12% per charge consumed.

-

Grandmaster Minor Trait
(Ready Again)Your burst skill refresh 10 points of initiative.

Grandmaster Major Trait Line
Major Trait 7
(Overcharged)Your Charge-up abilities will now generate 1 bonus charge of same color and increase the maximum number of charges you can have to 4.
Major Trait 8
(Only Madness Spreads)When your burst skill consumes a
Blue Charge
you will transfer 2 conditions from you to every enemy hit by your burst ability. Consuming more
Blue Charges
will transfer more conditions.
Major Trait 9
(Madness Fuel)When you about to get downed, the you will enter into state of mania, allowing you to fight for 5 sec with new health pool of 10k health. While in this state you can't be healed and if you run our of health you will get downed instantly. When this state ends, then you will get downed.

Greatsword Burst
(Hunting the Pray)Jump forward (to your target) and anchor you greatsword into the ground while evading attacks and performing overhead attack against nearby enemies dealing damage to them and consuming all your charges.
  • Casting time: 3/4 sec
  • Cooldown: 14 sec
  • Range: 900
  • Radius: 240
  • Evasion: 3/4 sec
  • Damage: 300 (scales with power)
  • Per red charge consumed: deal 200 (scales with power) bonus damage
  • Per blue charge consumed: inflict 2 stacks of bleeding for 6 sec
  • Per green charge consumed: leech health dealing 100 (scales with power) damage, healing 200 (scales with healing power
  • Leap combo finisher

Shortbow Burst
(Flashing Barrage)Shadow step around your target launching attacks at it.
  • Casting time: 1/2 sec
  • Damage: 250 (scales with power)
  • Number of attacks: 2
  • Per red charge consumed: increase number of attacks by 1
  • Per blue charge consumed: inflict 1 stack of poison for 3 sec and 1 stack of bleed for 5 sec
  • Per green charge consumed: regain 4 initiative

Sword Burst
(Snatch Steal)Slice your target dealing damage and stealing boons.
  • Range: 140
  • Damage: 750 (scales with power)
  • Number of boons stolen: 2
  • Per red charge consumed: steal 1 more boon
  • Per blue charge consumed: immobilize enemy hit for 2 sec
  • Per green charge consumed: gain regeneration for 3 sec and fury for 2 sec

Dagger Burst
(Mosquito Bite)Shadowstep to your target and poison your target.
  • Casting time: instant
  • Range: 600
  • Damage: 350 (scales with power)
  • Poison: 2 stacks for 10 sec
  • Per red charge consumed: daze your target for 3/4 sec
  • Per blue charge consumed: inflict 1 stack of poison for 10 sec
  • Per green charge consumed: after performing the attack gain 2 sec of stealth

Pistol Burst
(God Slayer Bullet)Shoot your target with deadly titanium bullet. Hitting an enemy in the back or to the side will have 30% bonus critical strike chance.
  • Damage: 600 (scales with power)
  • Per red charge consumed: deal 150 (scales with power) bonus damage
  • Per blue charge consumed: stun your target for 3/4 sec
  • Per green charge consumed: gain 4 stacks of might for 10 sec

Greatsword 1
(Vertical Swing)First hit of three hit chain. Hit several enemies in front of you.
  • Range: 200
  • Enemies hit: up to 3
  • Damage: 450 (scales with power)

Greatsword 1
(Heavy Spin)Second hit of three hit chain. Perform a spinning attack hitting all enemies around you. Generate a Red Charge if this ability scores a critical strike.
  • Radius: 200
  • Enemies hit: up to 5
  • Damage: 450 (scales with power)
  • Charge generation cooldown: 8 sec

Greatsword 1
(Impaling Stab)Third hit of three hit chain. Stab forward impaling all enemies in front of you. Generate a Red Charge if this ability scores a critical strike.
  • Range: 300
  • Enemies hit: up to 5
  • Damage: 500 (scales with power)
  • Charge generation cooldown: 8 sec

Greatsword 2
(At their Ankles)Roll forward evading all attacks and cripple all nearby enemies.
  • Initiative cost: 4
  • Evasion: 1/2 sec
  • Range: 300
  • Cripple: 4 sec

Greatsword 3
(Hook and Heavy Swing)Hit an enemy with your fist. If first strike hits, then perform an arching attack (after 3/4 sec from initial hit) in front of you knocking back all enemies in front of you.
  • Initiative cost: 6
  • Range of first hit: 140
  • Range of second hit: 200
  • First strike damage: 200 (scales with power)
  • Second hit damage: 500 (scales with power)
  • Knockback distance: 300

Greatsword 4
(A wall of Steel)Remove 2 conditions from yourself and guard yourself from all attacks for a duration. Generate Green Charge if you block an attack.
  • Duration: 2 sec
  • Initiative cost: 8
  • Charge generation cooldown: 6 sec

Greatsword 5
(Mad Tornado)Spin around hitting nearby enemies several times dealing damage and bleeding them. Reflect projectiles while you are spinning.
  • Channel time 2 sec
  • Radius: 240
  • Initiative cost: 8
  • Number of hits: 4
  • Damage (4x): 1200 (scales with power)
  • Bleed per hit: 2 stacks for 6 sec

Healing Charge-up
(Gather Health)Heal yourself and generate a Green Charge. Heal more per existing Green Charge on you.
  • Cooldown: 10 sec
  • Healing: 2000 (scales with healing power)
  • Healing increase per Green Charge: 15%

Utility Charge-up 1
(Generate Force)Knock all nearby enemies away and generate a Red Charge.
  • Cooldown: 12 sec
  • Radius: 140
  • Knockback distance: 240

Utility Charge-up 2
(Generate Aggression)Spit into your target's face blinding it and generate a Blue Charge.
  • Casting time: 1/4 sec
  • Cooldown: 8 sec
  • Range: 600
  • Blind: 3 sec

Utility Charge-up 3
(Generate Power)Generate 3 Red Charges.
  • Cooldown: 16 sec

Utility Charge-up 4
(Generate Escape)Remove cripple, chill, slow and immobilize from you, gain stealth and superspeed. Generate a Green Charge.
  • Cooldown: 40 sec
  • Stealth: 3 sec
  • Superspeed: 2 sec

Elite Charge-up
(Generate Madness)Gain special effect based on weapon in your main hand.
  • Cooldown: 40 sec
  • Greatsword: generate 3 Red Charges and refresh your Burst skill.
  • Shortbow: generate 3 Blue Charges and gain quickness for 3 sec.
  • Sword: remove all conditions from yourself and generate a Red Charge for every condition removed.
  • Dagger: generate 3 Blue Charges and your attacks becomes unblockable for 3 sec.
  • Pistol: generate a Red Charge, a Blue charge and a Green charge, and gain 5 stacks of might for 10 sec.

Update 2018-05-20: changed several stuff about greatsword AA, reduce maximum initiative by 2 and increase utility of pistol burst.

Rather than Maniac you could name it Butcher, Head-hunter, Inquisitor or Reaver. And then you could give it more extreme names but all and all I like your concept and this would make me want to make a thief, Id roll one just for this spec because it sounds fun and isn't so much of "more of the same". Keep it up I like the theory crafting and passion shown in this spec Idea.

@"Thornwolf.9721" said:Rather than Maniac you could name it Butcher, Head-hunter, Inquisitor or Reaver. And then you could give it more extreme names but all and all I like your concept and this would make me want to make a thief, Id roll one just for this spec because it sounds fun and isn't so much of "more of the same". Keep it up I like the theory crafting and passion shown in this spec Idea.

Well, name could be changed to anything to fit the story. I just thought that something like "maniac" would fit the most leather wearing madman jumping around with a massive 2H sword (especially 2H katana), cleaving enemies and laughing like a crazy person.

Oh, and this is just one little suggestion. I made tons more. For example.

@Crab Fear.1624 said:

@Crab Fear.1624 said:We already have that.

They are also called "those guys that still main thief".

Did +25k damage dealing abilities got nerfed recently?

25k damage dealing abilities?

Where and under what conditions?

And this doesn't even include death judgement which once hit my ranger for 30k.

@Crab Fear.1624 said:We already have that.

They are also called "those guys that still main thief".

Did +25k damage dealing abilities got nerfed recently?

25k damage dealing abilities?

Where and under what conditions?

And this doesn't even include death judgement which once hit my ranger for 30k.

The first video is music, I hope it's not a condition to be listening to that to hit for 25k.

The second video does have impressive damage, but it would only work on potatoes and hopefully only one time. The build won't work now due to DD changes, so that "abilities" doesn't exist.

Lord Hizen making WvW montage memes. Still, it's WvW, the stats reached there do not exist in SPvP (in some cases, but assuredly for DE).

The last video is a potato, and it shows how garbage a one shot build is.

Since you pointed out ranger, they actually have several 20-25k abilities, with a bit more sustain.

Seeing you are so hostile about a joke, I guess you moved on from thief, otherewise it would have been some "lol" or other type of response.

Thief mains would have got the joke.

But for real, thief mains are literally giving up the game or their character because of all the "changes" devs are putting on us (crappy, ball and chain type changes).

Most classes can do the 20-25k damage abilities, but that doesn't make the class inherently good or useful....

Edit: If I missed some satire here, I apologize...lol

@Crab Fear.1624 said:But for real, thief mains are literally giving up the game

Lol, who cares? The less 1-shot glass cannons = the better.

My core guardian never was in meta and, yet, you do not see crying about it.

Lol wow. For starters before RI nerf core guard had one of the best esiest one shot builds and is still present after nerf ur built right.2nd core guard was used and seen alot in pvp until its recent tone down due to its high bursts potential so a guard complaining about one shots is funny to see. Guard has a espec that is and has been meta since it was added (fb) in both pvp and wvw, not just meta but THE meta spec of all specs along side scourge. 3rd may not care because ur clearly the thing u care for only but others obviously do, and for the record tons of core guards cared when RI was nerfed. I was one of em. That said I agree true one shot builds shouldn't exist,bursts across board need tuned down but thief ttk needs to be balanced better to balance its frailty,one extra dodge doesnt cut it especially when other classes also have same type evade skills like evade frame in attacks,tele on top of higher burst/sustain,blocks and invulnerability skills cuz rightnow outside of niche one trick builds/attacks thief hits like garbage on most its attacks.

all i see is condition, condition remove etc..

screw that i just wannabe like a Soulbeast with attack opportunity (or however u spell it) and all the other crap and hit for like 16k with Maul! yep sounds good. else fuck it.thief didnt get anything good yet..

first we get good daredevil then they fucked it with swipe and exhaust.then we get crappy daredevil they fucked it somehow (i dunno how cus never liked perma stealth gameplay)

so at the end we always get back to core thief.. just need big ass dmg without any conditions.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:Lol wow. For starters before RI nerf core guard had one of the best esiest one shot builds and is still present after nerf ur built right.2nd core guard was used and seen alot in pvp until its recent tone down due to its high bursts potential so a guard complaining about one shots is funny to see. Guard has a espec that is and has been meta since it was added (fb) in both pvp and wvw, not just meta but THE meta spec of all specs along side scourge. 3rd may not care because ur clearly the thing u care for only but others obviously do, and for the record tons of core guards cared when RI was nerfed. I was one of em. That said I agree true one shot builds shouldn't exist,bursts across board need tuned down but thief ttk needs to be balanced better to balance its frailty,one extra dodge doesnt cut it especially when other classes also have same type evade skills like evade frame in attacks,tele on top of higher burst/sustain,blocks and invulnerability skills cuz rightnow outside of niche one trick builds/attacks thief hits like garbage on most its attacks.

Lol. You lost this argument when you stated that core guardian was more meta that thief.