Pet's shouldn't take damage

Zuko.7132

Ranger is the only class that has a punishable profession mechanic. Add on the top of it unreliable pets, unreliable pathing (Birds) and hard to land pet skills (Rock Gazelle, E Wyvern). They should receive the same defensive buffs from PvE.

Rock Gazelle is one of the worse pet right now when it comes to pathing and landing its skills. It has a good sticky AA and its other skills are only good when it connects.

At least SBeast can ''revive'' the pets by merging.

@Krispera.5087 said:Ranger is the only class that has a punishable profession mechanic. Add on the top of it unreliable pets, unreliable pathing (Birds) and hard to land pet skills (Rock Gazelle, E Wyvern). They should receive the same defensive buffs from PvE.

Rock Gazelle is one of the worse pet right now when it comes to pathing and landing its skills. It has a good sticky AA and its other skills are only good when it connects.

Ya it's really dumb maybe it was okay a long time ago when damage wasn't so crazy and aoe wasn't everywhere, but now it's just plain dumb.

@Zuko.7132 said:It is literally impossible to keep a pet alive in pvp on core ranger against some specs like condi mes. the aoe spam alone will kill them in under 16 seconds without even being targeted. And then half of your traits are useless.That’s fine. Pets should take normal damage like now BUT:

• when you dodge/evade your pet gets the same evade frames. Effect like mirage dodge is fine for them so pets don’t have to break animations or whatever.
  • When you are affected by a cleanse your pet cleanses the same amount of conditions.

Again I would like fair play, not broken crap.Think about it, if this is done you can use your cleanses / evades to save your pet or save yourself.

@anduriell.6280 said:

@Zuko.7132 said:It is literally impossible to keep a pet alive in pvp on core ranger against some specs like condi mes. the aoe spam alone will kill them in under 16 seconds without even being targeted. And then half of your traits are useless.That’s fine. Pets should take normal damage like now BUT:
  • when you dodge/evade your pet gets the same evade frames. Effect like mirage dodge is fine for them so pets don’t have to break animations or whatever.
  • When you are affected by a cleanse your pet cleanses the same amount of conditions.

Again I would like fair play, not broken crap.Think about it, if this is done you can use your cleanses / evades to save your pet or save yourself.

I like this, allows counter play opportunities and a potential pet survive-ability increase.

@Zuko.7132 said:It is literally impossible to keep a pet alive in pvp on core ranger against some specs like condi mes. the aoe spam alone will kill them in under 16 seconds without even being targeted. And then half of your traits are useless.

An immortal pet? No thanks. Killing the pet is a viable tactic when fighting a ranger, and that's how it should be. If the pet became immortal, they would have to reduce pet damage to somewhere near mesmer clone AA damage. And that's like 20 dmg per hit.I do like anduriells proposal though.

@anduriell.6280 said:

Every positive effect shoudl affect the pet baseline IMO.Boons should, cleanses should, evades should and bonusses from traits should do too, always.

I would actually make boonshare between ranger and pet baseline, and replace the Nature magic Minor into sonething new. Several things would need ajustements but this would give ranger atleast a nice mechanic to play with.

@Yannir.4132 said:

Exactly. The pets have better stats than the ranger does, in fact. Sharing stats would in fact nerf the pet.

Not quite. It depends on the stats and traits you've chosen or stacked. That's not to say the suggestion means eliminate the pets' own stats. It means add your stats to the pets' as well.

In this example, let's take a tanky pet like the bear. Now, let's say the player stacked life and toughness. Adding this to the pet would increase its viability.

I know this is possible because it's indirectly available through certain skills like healing. As a druid, I stacked healing and use a healing-style pet. With every heal, it heals too and has its healing increase through traits and skills.

Long story short, what does this solve? My pet does not die in PvP . . . ever. And that answers the problem asked originally.

Trait and stat sharing for other attributes would make this even more viable depending on the above mentioned stats and pets.

But, as always, it's simple a suggestion and my opinion.

@Ardenwolfe.8590 said:

Exactly. The pets have better stats than the ranger does, in fact. Sharing stats would in fact nerf the pet.

Not quite. It depends on the stats and traits you've chosen or stacked. That's not to say the suggestion means eliminate the pets' own stats. It means add your stats to the pets' as well.

In this example, let's take a tanky pet like the bear. Now, let's say the player stacked life and toughness. Adding this to the pet would increase its viability.

I know this is possible because it's indirectly available through certain skills like healing. As a druid, I stacked healing and use a healing-style pet. With every heal, it heals too and has its healing increase through traits and skills.

Long story short, what does this solve? My pet does not die in PvP . . . ever. And that answers the problem asked originally.

Trait and stat sharing for other attributes would make this even more viable depending on the above mentioned stats and pets.

On the other hand, it would also create a problem. What if you don't want your pet to be specced the same way you are? If you want to be tanky but you want a high DPS pet?

@Yannir.4132 said:

On the other hand, it would also create a problem. What if you don't want your pet to be specced the same way you are? If you want to be tanky but you want a high DPS pet?

Good solution would be to add stats depending on archetype. And making the archetype selectible would solve the pet stat problem.

Also making the F2 solvable would be neat too.

@Yannir.4132 said:On the other hand, it would also create a problem. What if you don't want your pet to be specced the same way you are? If you want to be tanky but you want a high DPS pet?

The question posed is about increasing pet survivability in PvP. That was my solution as far as that specific question. You can't have it both ways. Not given this class's nerf history and the way this game is balanced overall. That said, would you like to post a suggestion instead of criticizing everyone else's?

@anduriell.6280 said:

This is a good idea.I also like @Zuko.7132's idea of not increasing the cooldown if a pet dies, since it will often.

~ Kovu

@Ardenwolfe.8590 said:

@Yannir.4132 said:On the other hand, it would also create a problem. What if you don't want your pet to be specced the same way you are? If you want to be tanky but you want a high DPS pet?

The question posed is about increasing pet survivability in PvP. That was my solution as far as that specific question. You can't have it both ways. Not given this class's nerf history and the way this game is balanced overall. That said, would you like to post a suggestion instead of criticizing everyone else's?

I never thought there's a problem in the first place although I did state I liked anduriells idea.

• 2 weeks later...

@"Krispera.5087" said:Ranger is the only class that has a punishable profession mechanic. Add on the top of it unreliable pets, unreliable pathing (Birds) and hard to land pet skills (Rock Gazelle, E Wyvern). They should receive the same defensive buffs from PvE.

See thishttps://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/29505/gw2-ranger-pets-bad/p1

@Krispera.5087 said:Ranger is the only class that has a punishable profession mechanic. Add on the top of it unreliable pets, unreliable pathing (Birds) and hard to land pet skills (Rock Gazelle, E Wyvern). They should receive the same defensive buffs from PvE.

Cool story. Tell it to a necromancer xD

Archived