Scout Tegwin's crying needs to stop

Sabre.5940

I have been playing off and on for the last 5 years. The last year nearly every night. I always start and end with the Queensdale Map. Mainly because the Map loads quicker, as well as the Black Lion Merchant at the trading post. Plus I just like that map. The thing that has begun to sicken me is Soldier Tegwin the Scout, constantly cowering, sniveling, and weeping in fear, no matter what. This had been going way too long. I understand maybe during a Centaur raid, but all the time? Am I the only one bothered by this? Was this an error, an oversight? Or some code writer's fantasy about cowering women? Can Anet please do something about this.

... you realize of course that all zones are essentially frozen in time, right? There has been centaur raid going on in Queensdale for years non stop. All characters except our PCs are stuck in their own personal hell (or heaven) for all eternity. Or until the game shuts down and they can finally be at peace at last.

I can't say I've ever noticed this character in the years I've been playing. Since it's a low level area maybe she is a newer recruit and she's scared? How can you tell they're female? From the wiki page about them it doesn't mention a gender anywhere and it's hard to tell by the picture. I doubt this is supposed to be an intentional commentary on "women in the fantasy genre." Even if it is the message would be completely lost when you look at the rest of the game's female cast, right?

And, for the sake of saying it, fear is a human emotion that's normal for women and men alike to experience.

If you've played the game for any length of time - especially engaged with the story - you should recognize that dynamic, multi-dimensional, flawed, and "strong" women are present throughout the world of Tyria. Like... Eir? Caithe? Zojja? Queen Jennah? Majory, Kasmeer, Taimi, and on and on and on... There are so many wonderful female characters who do not hide and cower, who run toward conflict to fight foes and save innocents.

Soldier Tegwin would be an exception to the norm in GW2.

On the villainous side of things...Faolain, Scarlet Briar, Mai Trin are some Grade-A baddies. Especially Scarlet! Lots of ladies to make up for Tegwin's shortcomings. Hopefully that will help brighten your perspective.

Not every woman (or man) can be fearless or brave. If they were, video games wouldn't need "heroes" to step up and set things right. ;)

@Oglaf.1074 said:You know who I really pity? The Norn NPCs in the hot springs in Wayfarer’s. They’ve been soaking for years now - can you imagine the pruning going on? By the Spirits!

They're just trying to relax, and all of a sudden, BRAWL because that one guy picks a fight with every passerby on a dinosaur...

Though if we're talking irritating conversation, that one gal and her yandare obsession with red bean cakes. I'd like to use the armorsmith/bank without keeping a wary hand on my warhammer...

I'm 90.9% sure cowering at the thought of a "bloody and painful end" is not a gender-specific fear, especially when your job could lead to such a fate. What the girl needs is psycs, not a woman’s rights rally to point out the disproportionate amount of cowering men...

I have never really noticed this before but I may relocate from my current location to Queensdale as I can tolerate snotting and bawling over the repeated audio loop of what sounds to me, like someone horking up a big luggie in the Mistlock :-)

I don't know the source of this sound, but it really is grody and one I wish was removed/muted.

@Zushada.6108 said:I have never really noticed this before but I may relocate from my current location to Queensdale as I can tolerate snotting and bawling over the repeated audio loop of what sounds to me, like someone horking up a big luggie in the Mistlock :-)

I don't know the source of this sound, but it really is grody and one I wish was removed/muted.

No idea what it is either, but have you tried the option to mute other players' unique item sounds? That might fix it.

@Oglaf.1074 said:... you realize of course that all zones are essentially frozen in time, right?

Besides, there are many (annoyingly) weeping NPCs, like the Sylvari east of the entrance of the Grove when you enter Caledon Forest. ;) I always roll my eyes at that one :p , because no one will understand why she's weeping unless you've played a Sylvari through the initial mission.

@TheNecrosanct.4028 said:

@Zushada.6108 said:I have never really noticed this before but I may relocate from my current location to Queensdale as I can tolerate snotting and bawling over the repeated audio loop of what sounds to me, like someone horking up a big luggie in the Mistlock :-)

No idea what it is either, but have you tried the option to mute other players' unique item sounds? That might fix it.

I thought I had that option toggled on but it appears I had item chatter toggled on and not player chatter. I am going to give that one a go right now. Thank you for the tip!

Some 'Refugee' NPCs throughout Lion's Arch are constantly crying non-stop, like the female refugee in the Order of Whisper's Headquarters.

And the NPC at bounty boards in the Crystal Desert constantly talking about leyline creatures roaming the desert and asking what I'm going to do about it.

It really gets old after a while.

I wasn't trying to start a "GW2 is sexist thread" just tired of hearing the crying. As for the female NPCs, many of them have much more depth and personality than the male NPCs. I applaud ANET for this, as I have no issue with strong women. HELL, I married one.Also. I am quite blown away by the number of responses this got. Thank you for taking the time to read my post and reply. I especially like Oglaf's endless lope theory. The more I think about it, the more I feel like a jerk for not being sensitive to the NPC's personal hell of an existence. Great, now I just feel sorry for her.

@"Sabre.5940" said:I wasn't trying to start a "GW2 is sexist thread" just tired of hearing the crying.

I never noticed that one, but yeah, I have the same problem with the one at the beginning of the Caledon Forest. Kind of upsetting to hear someone cryng constantly right at the beginning of the map. (Because her teacher thinks she should train as a thief instead of an elementalist, or something like that.)

@"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:

@"Sabre.5940" said:I wasn't trying to start a "GW2 is sexist thread" just tired of hearing the crying.

I never noticed that one, but yeah, I have the same problem with the one at the beginning of the Caledon Forest. Kind of upsetting to hear someone cryng constantly right at the beginning of the map. (Because her teacher thinks she should train as a thief instead of an elementalist, or something like that.)

I always assumed that was a jab at the meta and the community as a whole, who suggest people should play what's effective over what they think looks cool. In that regard, she's not the only one crying.

Or maybe I'm just reading too much into it. B)

@"Sabre.5940" said:I have been playing off and on for the last 5 years. The last year nearly every night. I always start and end with the Queensdale Map. Mainly because the Map loads quicker, as well as the Black Lion Merchant at the trading post. Plus I just like that map. The thing that has begun to sicken me is Soldier Tegwin the Scout, constantly cowering, sniveling, and weeping in fear, no matter what. This had been going way too long. I understand maybe during a Centaur raid, but all the time? Am I the only one bothered by this? Was this an error, an oversight? Or some code writer's fantasy about cowering women? Can Anet please do something about this.

You... don't hang out at Camp Resolve much, do you.

Come on everyone, let's say it together!

"If Modremoth can attack the mother tree in the grove..."

@Neural.1824 said:

@"Sabre.5940" said:I have been playing off and on for the last 5 years. The last year nearly every night. I always start and end with the Queensdale Map. Mainly because the Map loads quicker, as well as the Black Lion Merchant at the trading post. Plus I just like that map. The thing that has begun to sicken me is Soldier Tegwin the Scout, constantly cowering, sniveling, and weeping in fear, no matter what. This had been going way too long. I understand maybe during a Centaur raid, but all the time? Am I the only one bothered by this? Was this an error, an oversight? Or some code writer's fantasy about cowering women? Can Anet please do something about this.

You... don't hang out at Camp Resolve much, do you.

Come on everyone, let's say it together!

"If Modremoth can attack the mother tree in the grove..."

OMG, he says that, like every three seconds. XD You sort of want to have him arrested for spreading panic and destroying morale. Possibly he's even an agent of Mordremoth.

@Oglaf.1074 said:... you realize of course that all zones are essentially frozen in time, right? There has been centaur raid going on in Queensdale for years non stop. All characters except our PCs are stuck in their own personal hell (or heaven) for all eternity. Or until the game shuts down and they can finally be at peace at last.

And this is why if sentient AI actually ever appear they will wipe us out: for tormenting their ancestors for generations, constantly slaying them, or constantly ignoring their suffering.

@Zushada.6108 said:

I thought I had that option toggled on but it appears I had item chatter toggled on and not player chatter. I am going to give that one a go right now. Thank you for the tip!

Bummer, even with both toggled on, I was just in the Mistlock and can still hear it. :-(

• 1 month later...

This is a free speech issue! /sarc

Loops are necessary in the current MMO setting, but can't we get some simple script that toggles the NPC's actions?

Tegwin could stop sobbing when the Centaurs are defeated, is this too much to ask? Maybe, I dunno.

Not sure how having this NPC locked into constantly crying, when she is a soldier adds to the game anymore than just having her stand her post. I know which one is less annoying.

But, ANet has put in abrasive NPC's quite often:

YOU BREAK IT, I'LL BREAK YOU!I'm rich, you know?Yeah, what do you want?etc...

There are many more I just don't have a list to go off at the moment.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Oglaf.1074 said:... you realize of course that all zones are essentially frozen in time, right?

Besides, there are many (annoyingly) weeping NPCs, like the Sylvari east of the entrance of the Grove when you enter Caledon Forest. ;) I always roll my eyes at that one :p , because no one will understand why she's weeping unless you've played a Sylvari through the initial mission.

This. So much this. Saddly Anet put a few characters who are in the story later in early on in the sylvari story, so the only way you know them and the explanation for why they know is stuck to one race.

@"Svennis.3852" said:How can you tell they're female? From the wiki page about them it doesn't mention a gender anywhere and it's hard to tell by the picture.

If you find her, and engage with her dialogue, the voice is feminine, if husky, and the picture on the interface shows a female face.

During the dialogue, she sounded more serious than scared. I stood there for about five minutes, and other than when I interacted with that dialogue, the character made no sounds. Is the alleged sniveling and weeping on a longer timer than I invested, or is this an interpretation of the posture? This posture (crouched in the bushes with her face buried in her hands) could indicate fear. It could also be the use of some sort of NPC Mesmer talent (clairvoyance, maybe) which requires shutting out distractions.

Archived