WvW Work In Progress

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@Swagger.1459 said:@"Ben Phongluangtham.1065" Would be really sweet to have a +25% movement speed enrichment!

There are skills and/or traits for each class that provide this. Build for it.

Movement speed is mainly an issue for two classes, Necro and Guardians.Some classes have passive traits (Chrono, Warriors, etc) while other classes have excess skills that can stack swiftness (Soulbeast, Herald, etc). These classes have the means of increasing movement speed from the core game that can be applied to the expansions, while having more versatile skills that help them get around the map without sacrificing much.

While I don't play Necro, I do have more insight on the Guardian class.Core guardians have only two ways of stacking swiftness that is relevant to WvW: Staff 3 and the skill "Retreat".To get the max value of Staff 3, a guardian must constantly stop, cast the symbol, and wait for the symbol to expire to get the full swiftness amount. Even then, the cooldown is higher than the swiftness amount. Also, roaming guardians (solo of course) don't use staff since staff is currently in a bad spot.

Retreat has not been used by solo roamers, and its time as a zerg skill has long past. The cooldown of the skill is greater than the duration of swiftness (trying to use the decreased CD trait means going into a traitline specifically for one skill, and that traitline is not good for solo roamers).

Currently the optimal way for Guardians to stack swiftness is to run Firebrand and spam the 1st skill in Tome of Courage. Core and DH will have to settle with Traveler's Runes.

While I don't have an issue with a 25% movement speed enrichment, I think the better option is the add more Runes that give the same final bonus as Traveler's Runes.This would give every class a means to movement speed, so players can pick which specializations they want to run (Revenants won't be forced to run Herald, but then again, Revs have much greater problems than movement speed).

@Swagger.1459 said:@"Ben Phongluangtham.1065" Would be really sweet to have a +25% movement speed enrichment!

My guardian still waiting for his passive 25% movement speed...oh well, maybe next elite spec

Was there not enough emphasis on SKILL? Why did that imply passive? Learn to use swiftness or/and "build for it"...

D:

Swagger was talking about 25% movement speed...also, dont think its fair make me waste a skill slot for retreat or any other skill that give swiftness while other professions can take an actually usefull skill, put me on a huge disadvantage, and traveler runes suck too lol

Then roll a class that does. They have disadvantages too. Negating those with an enrichment?

Well, give thief and Mesmer +25% damage enrichment, or +25% armor enhancement.

"Just roll another class" isn't a great argument. So Guards and Necros should just swap off their favorite toon?

Necro has a signet they can 'choose' to run. Just like the traits or skills others have to choose to run.

Guard? I've got nothing.

And I don't feel peoPep need to move off their toon. But if they feel they want speed, them either switch toons, or use the skills that give it. Which guard has symbol of swiftness and Necro can use war horn. Again, not ideal, but a choice.

The problem is the difference in "usability" of those skills. Blink/teleport of Mesmers/Eles are great movement skills that also break stun. So players aren't really sacrificing much to run those skills. Same for Thief's Shortbow. Sure, they could run other weapon sets, but Shortbow is viable for range poke and the movement skill is just too strong to not take (kind of like Guardian's Staff in zergs; the staff skills are subpar, but Empower still has its uses).

If all the skills were balanced, there wouldn't be this issue, but unfortunately they are not.Again, I think more Rune variety would resolve this issue without requiring the manpower of a balance team.

@nativity.3057 said:

Movement speed is mainly an issue for two classes, Necro and Guardians.Some classes have passive traits (Chrono, Warriors, etc) while other classes have excess skills that can stack swiftness (Soulbeast, Herald, etc). These classes have the means of increasing movement speed from the core game that can be applied to the expansions, while having more versatile skills that help them get around the map without sacrificing much.

While I don't play Necro, I do have more insight on the Guardian class.Core guardians have only two ways of stacking swiftness that is relevant to WvW: Staff 3 and the skill "Retreat".To get the max value of Staff 3, a guardian must constantly stop, cast the symbol, and wait for the symbol to expire to get the full swiftness amount. Even then, the cooldown is higher than the swiftness amount. Also, roaming guardians (solo of course) don't use staff since staff is currently in a bad spot.

Retreat has not been used by solo roamers, and its time as a zerg skill has long past. The cooldown of the skill is greater than the duration of swiftness (trying to use the decreased CD trait means going into a traitline specifically for one skill, and that traitline is not good for solo roamers).

Currently the optimal way for Guardians to stack swiftness is to run Firebrand and spam the 1st skill in Tome of Courage. Core and DH will have to settle with Traveler's Runes.

While I don't have an issue with a 25% movement speed enrichment, I think the better option is the add more Runes that give the same final bonus as Traveler's Runes.This would give every class a means to movement speed, so players can pick which specializations they want to run (Revenants won't be forced to run Herald, but then again, Revs have much greater problems than movement speed).

My guardian still waiting for his passive 25% movement speed...oh well, maybe next elite spec

Was there not enough emphasis on SKILL? Why did that imply passive? Learn to use swiftness or/and "build for it"...

D:

Swagger was talking about 25% movement speed...also, dont think its fair make me waste a skill slot for retreat or any other skill that give swiftness while other professions can take an actually usefull skill, put me on a huge disadvantage, and traveler runes suck too lol

Then roll a class that does. They have disadvantages too. Negating those with an enrichment?

Well, give thief and Mesmer +25% damage enrichment, or +25% armor enhancement.

"Just roll another class" isn't a great argument. So Guards and Necros should just swap off their favorite toon?

Necro has a signet they can 'choose' to run. Just like the traits or skills others have to choose to run.

Guard? I've got nothing.

And I don't feel peoPep need to move off their toon. But if they feel they want speed, them either switch toons, or use the skills that give it. Which guard has symbol of swiftness and Necro can use war horn. Again, not ideal, but a choice.

The problem is the difference in "usability" of those skills. Blink/teleport of Mesmers/Eles are great movement skills that also break stun. So players aren't really sacrificing much to run those skills. Same for Thief's Shortbow. Sure, they could run other weapon sets, but Shortbow is viable for range poke and the movement skill is just too strong to not take (kind of like Guardian's Staff in zergs; the staff skills are subpar, but Empower still has its uses).

If all the skills were balanced, there wouldn't be this issue, but unfortunately they are not.Again, I think more Rune variety would resolve this issue without requiring the manpower of a balance team.

Necro has been one of my three mains, and have never liked guard..

I agree on the rune variety. I would be very much in favor of the buff being centered there. It allows for maybe better balance.

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:

@Ragnarox.9601 said:can we get similar rewards like pvp ? 10 gold for chest tier completition? or something like that, or at least better reward track. Or at least grandmaster marks for armor or weapons.....wvw rewards are luckluster and non rewarding now.

In PvP you can get 3 marks every 12-13 weeks, depending on off-season length. Since WvW has no off season, it's a bit harder to balance. I'd probably have out another currency to make sure they are given out at the same rate. But I'm open to it.

If timegating is an issue, I would rather you guys look into putting the actual reward track granting the marks on a timegate (eg only once per month or something, which would equal out to 3 marks every 12 weeks if you did it monthly) instead of simply giving it a ridiculously large grind just to slow it down. I think the former is significantly more fun to play with as a reward structure, instead of slogging through something designed just to waste your time in order to slow down the rate of earning it.

@Swagger.1459 said:

@Swagger.1459 said:Oh @Strider Pj.2193 I wanted to share something with you because you used the word “additive”!

“Movement Speed increases do not stack with each other—only the greatest value takes effect. For example, a character under the effect of Signet of Air (+25%) and swiftness (+33%) will only move 33% faster. Maximum movement speed is universally capped at 400 units per second; this translates to 136% of base out-of-combat speed, but 190% of base in-combat speed. As such, the capped movement speed can be achieved out-of-combat with a mere 40% movement speed increase, whereas in-combat this requires a 100% increase i.e. Superspeed. Superspeed only makes use of its full 100% increase while in combat.”

So a +25% movement speed enrichment is not “additive”, it’s just makes your character move that amount as baseline!

I believe you missed my point. I definately understand 'additive', and what you wanted would be 'baseline'. Point simply is, if you allow every class to have a passive speed buff they don't have to trait for, then those traits and skills should be 'additive' on top of your new baseline. Which, as you could see, would effectively negate the enrichment bonus for people that are
unwilling
to adjust their build like others for speed.

The point was adding in an additional option to movement speed, to open up build options in a movement heavy mode... Was ridiculous for you to even compare it to a 25% global damage buff or 25% global armor buff...

What you call ridiculous I can't argue with. But effectively killing the need for traits...

Again, all classes have access to these via traits or skills, sacrifice something for it like the people who do. Or build differently.

Having more options doesn’t negate anything. It’s just that, more options... If we follow your thought process, then we should remove food and utility buffs too, and let all bonus stats come from traits and buffs.

You are treating my suggestion as if I were asking for some super speed enrichment... Was simply bringing up an additional option for an individual player to not move around at the base sloth speed... And the effect doesn’t stack anyway...

Moving slow is annoying as all get out in wvw, but at least it was really cool to get stuff like
to make our trips to the crafting stations less annoying in cities!

What does this have to do with the thread?

@EnderzShadow.2506 said:

@Swagger.1459 said:Oh @Strider Pj.2193 I wanted to share something with you because you used the word “additive”!

“Movement Speed increases do not stack with each other—only the greatest value takes effect. For example, a character under the effect of Signet of Air (+25%) and swiftness (+33%) will only move 33% faster. Maximum movement speed is universally capped at 400 units per second; this translates to 136% of base out-of-combat speed, but 190% of base in-combat speed. As such, the capped movement speed can be achieved out-of-combat with a mere 40% movement speed increase, whereas in-combat this requires a 100% increase i.e. Superspeed. Superspeed only makes use of its full 100% increase while in combat.”

So a +25% movement speed enrichment is not “additive”, it’s just makes your character move that amount as baseline!

I believe you missed my point. I definately understand 'additive', and what you wanted would be 'baseline'. Point simply is, if you allow every class to have a passive speed buff they don't have to trait for, then those traits and skills should be 'additive' on top of your new baseline. Which, as you could see, would effectively negate the enrichment bonus for people that are
unwilling

The point was adding in an additional option to movement speed, to open up build options in a movement heavy mode... Was ridiculous for you to even compare it to a 25% global damage buff or 25% global armor buff...

What you call ridiculous I can't argue with. But effectively killing the need for traits...

Again, all classes have access to these via traits or skills, sacrifice something for it like the people who do. Or build differently.

Having more options doesn’t negate anything. It’s just that, more options... If we follow your thought process, then we should remove food and utility buffs too, and let all bonus stats come from traits and buffs.

You are treating my suggestion as if I were asking for some super speed enrichment... Was simply bringing up an additional option for an individual player to not move around at the base sloth speed... And the effect doesn’t stack anyway...

Moving slow is annoying as all get out in wvw, but at least it was really cool to get stuff like

I asked a question from Ben earlier and it’s being discussed... Not hard to find out by looking at post history or the first page of the thread.

@Ragnarox.9601 said:can we get similar rewards like pvp ? 10 gold for chest tier completition? or something like that, or at least better reward track. Or at least grandmaster marks for armor or weapons.....wvw rewards are luckluster and non rewarding now.

In PvP you can get 3 marks every 12-13 weeks, depending on off-season length. Since WvW has no off season, it's a bit harder to balance. I'd probably have out another currency to make sure they are given out at the same rate. But I'm open to it.

Don't get me wrong, its not for me, I have already full legendary armor from wvw, legendary weapons, lots of ascended stuff..., but lots of new players don't have that and we are seeing fewer and fewer of players there cause of many imbalances of many classes and lack of real rewards. We could use some wvw mount skins also, or something new....something great to work for.

@Swagger.1459 said:

unwilling

I asked a question from Ben earlier and it’s being discussed... Not hard to find out by looking at post history or the first page of the thread.

Ben answered your question, "The 2 enrichments currently on the list are a wxp bonus and a reward track bonus.

I dont really want to make an enrichment that adds to power creep or suddenly becomes required for all WvWers to use. "

@EnderzShadow.2506 said:

unwilling

Ben answered your question, "The 2 enrichments currently on the list are a wxp bonus and a reward track bonus.

I dont really want to make an enrichment that adds to power creep or suddenly becomes required for all WvWers to use.
"

So what? That’s how conversations go.

You asked. I told. Go enjoy the forums and leave this be.

Do you consider changing the WvW reward track progression into being more dependant on active play. There may be no such problem on high tier servers, but my experience comes from low tiers... and it's really bad. There are players constantly afking in keeps and on spawn. They don't need or want to roam nor to participate in bigger fights because it won't speed up their reward track progression.

Current implementation of reward tracks in WvW really favors behaviours like this^. What is more people are more likely to let enemy server take their objective so they can retake it and bump their reward track timer back to 10:00.

You could add a weekly token for completing the commitment bonus/wood tier. And require like 3 or so per mark. Or just create a repeatable achievement track in the WvW panel instead of a new token/currency.

@"Ragnarox.9601" said:can we get similar rewards like pvp ? 10 gold for chest tier completition? or something like that, or at least better reward track. Or at least grandmaster marks for armor or weapons.....wvw rewards are luckluster and non rewarding now.

Hello!While you are on this topic.Pvp has 3 currencies:pvp tickets, shards of glory and ascended shards of glory.The only time gated currency is the pvp tickets. Shards of glory can be bought of tp and ascended shards of glory can be farmed by repeated the pvp chests.https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ascended_Shard_of_GloryWhat does this mean? -currently in pvp, the ascended armor (the precursors) are NOT time gate, as they require ascended shards of gloryBUT the legendary gear is time gate as it requires pvp tickets which are time gated.

Can wvw get a similar system? add a new currency- (I thought maybe Memories of War?) Make it so the ASCENDED (precursor) armor does NOT cost wvw tickets anymore, and instead, let it cost this new currency which wont be time gated. Make this currency only obtainable from wvw PIP chests AS WELL AS from the repeatable diamond chest.In return increase the price of the gift that can be bought for wvw tickets can be increase to compensate.

Why am I suggesting this?

• In pvp: Legendary armor = time gated BUT ascended armor is NOT time gated
  • in wvw: Legendary armor AND ascended armor are BOTH time gated (behind wvw tickets)

That is all. Thank you.p.s: gold in wvw pip chests when? :anguished:

Don't forget to include more items purchasable with WvW tokens. We need to spend those 40000 + Badge of honor on WvW exclusive items just like the PvP and PvE have their exclusive items. And if you have time, create new (visually appealing) gear and weapons for WvW only!Thank you!

But in PvP you can also get the gold to craft more. ( Which is what Ragnarox was getting to)Since the reward tracks in Spvp give gold and the gold rewards are repeatable through-out the season.

That's a huge problem in WvW especially trying to craft legendary gear.It is expensive, and WvW does not help very much at all cover that expense.I had suggested that more rewards be given at the end of diamond. Similar to Spvp ,you would need to be active enough to repeat the final chest.

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:The 2 enrichments currently on the list are a wxp bonus and a reward track bonus. I dont really want to make an enrichments that adds to power creep or suddenly becomes required for all WvWers to use.

You could add an enrichment that grants a single additional pip. The lower ranked wvw players in particular could use the boost.

~ Kovu

To add to the move speed enrichment idea... there seems to be this idea that it has to be 25% or none at all. One half is right, it's pretty rough on certain classes the amount you have to sacrifice for a usable speed buff, where others get it without any effort or sacrifice at all (I'm looking at you chronomancer). The other half is ALSO right in that a 25% enrichment would become baseline for everyone and would invalidate the classes that do build for extra mobility and move speed to an extent. So don't do either. Make the speed enrichment lower than the normal baseline; at 15% movement speed increase you neither invalidate building for higher move speed nor do you leave classes without easy access to speed boosts sacrificing large amounts of other damage or utility to get anything more than baseline.

@"Ragnarox.9601" said:can we get similar rewards like pvp ? 10 gold for chest tier completition? or something like that, or at least better reward track. Or at least grandmaster marks for armor or weapons.....wvw rewards are luckluster and non rewarding now.

Could you look at this post please?

Its about the Value of the Reward Tracks and how bad the actually are.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/29187/wvw-reward-track-value-update#latest

Thanks for the hard work.

I don't really agree with the speed enrichment either.Builds long ago had to sacrifice either using utilities or runes to get 25% run speed, I think that was part of their overall balancing and needing to rely on other classes for certain things. Remember when mesmer had no access to 25% run speed? then chronos got it as a trait, and then their signet got 5s swiftness, now most classes have 25% run speed somewhere, cept guardians(which makes it funny when they have access to just about as much quickness as mesmers, so apparently they can swing their arms really fast but not their legs) :lol:

Sojourner idea seems good for a compromise, if you put the enrichment at 25% then everyone will have to get it no question and at that point you might as well just do a full 25% boost to running for everyone in wvw, but if you put it at 15% then it isn't necessary to have if your class can give you 25% or 33% from swiftness, but still helpful in some builds.

With chest renewing every week in WvW unlike PvP that only renews each season, would be hard to balance out grandmaster marks. Maybe have them as a random drop for those doing wvw. Would be nice if even the last couple of chest had some gold in them. Esp. the repeating chest at the end. It would help keep people in WvW after maxing out their pips.

If the time gate is the problem for the grandmaster marks then have a sub currency to collect with the chest each week, and then exchange like 4 or more of them to get a mark from skirmish vendor. More or less if they feel like the time it's enough to get like last diamond chest, since some people can get it by saturday, while some can't finish it. Although those people finishing it on saturday can already buy ascended with tickets since they most likely have high enough rank for faster pips.

I can agree to that as long as it was rank based. Not some repeat of the afking for pip stuff we had when that started. Another idea with rewards to do as well to sort of polish or fine tune the game mode is there are lots of different roles a player can take on. They said no mastery but they could do something like the chart they had with pvp that acquired info on how you are playing. To reinforce it too being able to assign players when sharing participation on what they are doing so that under the role they are playing everyone would have their own play style tab where they could pick regardless of rank or the current one with the vendor.

Also gemstore and/or black lion chest could start having items put in it geared toward wvw. I could just imagine the keys being used to win an endless guild cata blueprint. Badge of honor nodes for home instance just stuff like that doesn't make it pay to win but still valuable things out there with those who play wvw game mode where currently the only thing ever was finishers.

As well one thing I've noticed over time was the more my magic find increased there has been a dramatic decrease in bag drops for quite some time so someone playing next to me has gotten 2 stacks of them and I get like 20 for every stack that person gets. Would be nice if with that reward that something were to balance that out for a chance to make that better rewards as well. Plus a chance to get rid of this theme of just sitting inside an objective waiting for someone to attack it. Get them out and fighting if they want rewards imo.

Archived