Dueling Etiquette (for quick reading just skim the bold)

Crab Fear.1624

When you 1 v 1, either in a dedicated server room, during an SPvP match, or you happen to stumble across one in WvW, there seems to be varying ideas of what is fair .

For example, whenever I watch a streamer, sometimes they may be in a duel and they complain about being LoS in such a high pitched voice, one might think they have become victim of some high crime. I have even beat out superior classes by blocking their critical attacks by LoSing them.

You may think it is not fair, but I think it is.

In my opinion, here are the core rules to a 1 v 1 duel :

• Server rules come first
  • ~~ Opponent must aware and agree (casual passers-by in games, and ganks can't be added as notches on the belt)~~
  • 1 player versus 1 other player, no help. any assistance is dishonorable
  • use of terrain, and environment is legal. you have to use what is advantageous to you (this mean LoS is fair)
  • any build goes except eternal bunker builds, those are tasteless and classless

Bad stuff :

• getting help (ally buff or assistance, even inadvertently)
  • losing a duel and then ganking with your friend
  • after x number of rounds, not admitting you were bested (if it is practice, whatever. if it is formal challenge, the rounds should be limited)
  • complaining about fair play as if it were cheating

Dueling with a class that does high damage from ranged and safety against a class that needs to infight is a tough match. So, if the player can position you and themselves to negate your burst(line of sight), whose fault is it?

It is your fault that you were not tactically and spatially aware. Your opponent knows your kit and has set you onto the board in their favor.

waaaah..... LoS me?

Please add your own rules. As this is posted in PvP forums, I could not start my day without some internet hostilities.

ch83xz6.jpg

@Crab Fear.1624 said:

• after x number of rounds, not admitting you were bested

Isn't this apart of learning? Fighting someone better than you until you either start to stalemate or start to get one over them?

I'm pretty sure that's the reason why some of us go for 5-10 duels in a row, there's always something to tweak in the build or a way to overcome certain builds. (In WvW duels it can sometimes come down to a change of food)

@sephiroth.4217 said:

@"Crab Fear.1624" said:

Isn't this apart of learning? Fighting someone better than you until you either start to stalemate or start to get one over them?

I'm pretty sure that's the reason why some of us go for 5-10 duels in a row, there's always something to tweak in the build or a way to overcome certain builds. (In WvW duels it can sometimes come down to a change of food)

He may mean when formally challenging someone you are trash talking or something. Just general rules for dueling. Sparring on the other hand yeah can go for like 10 rounds because people want time to learn and practice against stuff.

I've always separated the terms "1v1" and "dueling" though because I've found them to mean different things to me. A duel being a set up and organized event in a designated server with it's own etiquette (such as no los usage if agreed upon by participants) and restrictions and a 1v1 being an event that happens randomly or in a match with no restrictions, etiquette, or whatever else people complain about. I 1v1 a ton using this logic but rarely, if ever, duel because I don't like restrictions on what mechanics I can utilize when I fight.

@sephiroth.4217 said:

Well if the 1 v 1 is just for practice, I am certain you as a player would say something positive after reaching a conclusion. (see we agree here)

A formal challenge with the rounds set is different though, it is not for practice, it is to determine the best for that time. (this is what i meant)

X = the number it takes to be satisfied or have agreed that you can not best them (or they can no best you)....today

Edit: I amended the OP, hopefully it will clear things up for others.

@Crab Fear.1624 said:

Well if the 1 v 1 is just for practice, I am certain you as a player would say something positive after reaching a conclusion. (
see we agree here
)

A formal challenge with the rounds set is different though, it is not for practice, it is to determine the best for that time. (
this is what i meant
)

X = the number it takes to be satisfied or have agreed that you can not best them (or they can no best you)....
today

Edit: I amended the OP, hopefully it will clear things up for others.

Yea I definitely misunderstood but thanks for the clear up...

I remember when HoT first came out, was in Eb (wvw) dueling a gun lame warrior vs me as a staff thief. I kept using tress to LoS his rifle attacks and boy did he get the hump and rage pm. some people reguardless of game mode just can not take being countered and just let their emotions go. I dont often come to pvp dueling servers thogh, may be some people have different rules

I haven't been to a dueling server in forever, but when I did, these were the rules I can remember:

• No playing bunker builds
  • Running off or away from a dueling point = forfeit
  • Both people must bow first when they are ready
  • No help from teammates
  • No using elite skills (in some cases)

@Crab Fear.1624 said:

For example, whenever I watch a streamer, sometimes they may be in a duel and they complain about being LoS in such a high pitched voice, one might think they have become victim of some high crime. I have even beat out superior classes by blocking their critical attacks by LoSing them.Dueling with a class that does high damage from ranged and safety against a class that needs to infight is a tough match. So, if the player can position you and themselves to negate your burst(line of sight), whose fault is it?It is your fault that you were not tactically and spatially aware. Your opponent knows your kit and has set you onto the board in their favor.

I agree with this, and I'm glad people have this mindset. If you're running a build that is built for range and they reflect or terrain block you, or you're running a class that is high close range damage and they kite you or wall you out, this is gameplay you should expect and adapt for rather than whine over. They sure as hell will LoS or kite you in WVW or on the actual spvp field so get used to it, duels are (supposedly) not for feeding your ego.

@brannigan.9831 said:There is no such thing as SPVP duel rules. You have no right way to tell me what to do in a 5v5 game mode. If I see a 1v1 Im going to plus one it every time and if Im in a side point duel Im going to do whatever it takes to win it.

He's talking about Server Duels, not unranked/ranked matches.

• No using elite skills (in some cases)

Lich Form, Moa Polymorph, Supply Drop, Thieves Guild and Rampage are all generally frowned upon.

As fair as im conserned it only a duel if you are in a dueling arena, os or a guild hall.

If im fighting someone near there keep and they run in good luck to them. If i see two guys fighting in wvw espically if they are on a tipical roaming route ill kill the red one (which could be both).

Use anything and everthing to your advantage to win (whith out breaking the Terms and Conditions of cource) LoS, water, npc's, what every you can find to give an advantage. Thats just as much part of the skill of the game as a well time interrupt.

If you get in to punch up at a bar can you be sure the other guy is going to fight fairly? And what would be considered fair at the time any way?

Necromancers start with 33% lifeforce, 100% stealth builds are a no go, thieves start with no stolen item, everyone starts out of combat (no adrenaline for warriors), no targeting things other than your opponent and their summons (using JI to create range in a fight and so on), if a tickle fest is going on for too long the viewers can call it a boring draw.

Archived