Power Firebrand roaming build.

whoknocks.4935

Hey guys, guardian is my main and I am rank 170ish in wvw, so I'm still far from being an expert.

I do only solo roaming because I don't have a guild to play with, sometimes I join casual zergs or small groups of people to take towers camps etc.

I played mainly core guardian and dragonhunter for roaming, now for the first time I decided to give firebrand a try.

I am oriented into power firebrand and not condi, first because I don't like condi specs that much, I find them a bit nobrain and boring, and second because i actually have ascended power gear xD

This is the build I am currently running:http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQNAR3enkIClDhVDBeDB8DhlBCzKAUtaT7J0IaG96a9BqAA-j1xHQBnZ/h4dEAYoSQCq8DAXEg3p+z3eAguBSBExYA-w

I have full marauder weapons, armor, and backpiece which I prefer to stay like that because I can't afford a stat change.Trinkets I'm running full wanderer, but being the pvp trinkets I can swap their stats easily when I want, so I can change them no problem.I run full mighty wvw infusions, traveler's runes because I hate being slow, and I can switch between axe and sword because I have both ascended.

I want to know your opinions and possible changes to my build, even watch the skills, if for example the mantra heal is better then litany of wrath etc.

I repeat i want SOLO roam, and casual small groups fight.I want a build to have a chance not dying immediately if i get outnumbered.

With my build i get over 20k hp and almost 3k armor without the buffs of firebrand, so i guess it's not that bad.Power build NOT condi.

Thanks everyone :)

I've run something pretty similar stat and trait-wise so here are my recommendations:

• Use sword rather than axe. Axe CC is nice but honestly its damage is no better than sword + you get more mobility.
  • You can swap out CoP for Mantra of Truth (very nice blind + weakness + damage + cripple, makes landing GS 2 easier)
  • If you do the above, I recommend then swapping out RF for the elite mantra. You can then play around with the master-level trait to see what you like better (personally I like to trait for mantras).
  • I recommend putting a damage on critical sigil on GS. The energy sigil will kind of go to waste since you have two of them and essentially have what feels like 4 weapon swaps (tome in and tome out will activate the sigils).
  • I'd recommend running a mix of marauder's and valkyrie, perhaps a few pieces of knights/cavalier for gear.
  • Don't bother stacking toughness/vitality if you don't have healing power on firebrand....
  • 20k hp will feel the same as 16 or 17k hp since you have next to no healing power.
  • For armor, 2300-2500 all feels the same. If you go lower, you'll feel it, and if you go higher you start sacrificing other stats in most cases.

The strengths of power firebrand: The build can hit pretty hard and feels like playing core guard with a bit more utility. It's excellent in duels since anything that can burst you down can easily be stomped with your build as well, and it has the sustain/utility to outlast many of the bunker-y builds out there.

The major weakness of the build are: You will notice your lack of sustain if the fight goes on a bit too long. Once your bursts are on CD and you've used up your heal there isn't a whole lot you can do. This builds' sustain is worse than DH imo. It also doesn't have great burst options when fighting against other roamers since the build isn't as mobile as other roamers, nor is it ranged.

@Arcaedus.7290 said:I've run something pretty similar stat and trait-wise so here are my recommendations:

• Use sword rather than axe. Axe CC is nice but honestly its damage is no better than sword + you get more mobility.
  • You can swap out CoP for Mantra of Truth (very nice blind + weakness + damage + cripple, makes landing GS 2 easier)
  • If you do the above, I recommend then swapping out RF for the elite mantra. You can then play around with the master-level trait to see what you like better (personally I like to trait for mantras).
  • I recommend putting a damage on critical sigil on GS. The energy sigil will kind of go to waste since you have two of them and essentially have what feels like 4 weapon swaps (tome in and tome out will activate the sigils).
  • I'd recommend running a mix of marauder's and valkyrie, perhaps a few pieces of knights/cavalier for gear.
  • Don't bother stacking toughness/vitality if you don't have healing power on firebrand....
  • 20k hp will feel the same as 16 or 17k hp since you have next to no healing power.
  • For armor, 2300-2500 all feels the same. If you go lower, you'll feel it, and if you go higher you start sacrificing other stats in most cases.

The strengths of power firebrand: The build can hit pretty hard and feels like playing core guard with a bit more utility. It's excellent in duels since anything that can burst you down can easily be stomped with your build as well, and it has the sustain/utility to outlast many of the bunker-y builds out there.

The major weakness of the build are: You will notice your lack of sustain if the fight goes on a bit too long. Once your bursts are on CD and you've used up your heal there isn't a whole lot you can do. This builds' sustain is worse than DH imo. It also doesn't have great burst options when fighting against other roamers since the build isn't as mobile as other roamers, nor is it ranged.

I find axe autoattack hit pretty hard, now I'm running still full marauder armor and weapons and backpiece but switched to celestial trinkets and I find it pretty good, it adds a bit condi and healing power too which doesn't seem much but it helped me a lot on those running thieves which escaped and ended up dead because of the fire and bleed ticks.

You are perfectly right and it feels like core guardian 2.0, with more utilies like you said.For example as a core guardian I struggle against scourges and you have to make zero mistakes, with firebrand if things go bad you can condi cleanse with f2 tome and apply f3 resistance and I find fight scourges in 1v1 way more easy then core guard and even dh probably.

I have a bit of problems against those cheesy zerk warriors, they cc you once your out of stab and axe burst is a oneshot... that's why I wanted more hp and toughness. I can manage thieves better, because with f1 tome i dish out so many damage on them they can't stay melee range all the time so i have plenty of time to adjust myself to burst them down.Of course with dh it's easier but i decided to switch to power firebrand because its new to me and to change a bit instead of always core and dh. And it's hells fun.

Sigil of agility on gs i feel like it's just to good to remove it, it adds even more quickness which firebrand already generate a lot i know, maybe i can swap energy with something else like air as you said.

Thanks anyway a lot for the long text feedback i appreciate that.

With the elite mantra CC shouldn’t be a problem, since we apparently are allowed to use mantra when CC, and it grants stability.You can even pop healing mantra as well for aegis.

When I tested sword vs axe, sword one by 1sec kill-time.Axe lose dps when using all its abilities, but sword gain more dps.Also swords symbol is instant, blind, close gaps and grants fury (making you change more zerker/marauder for Valk).

Axe put out more dmg but with one sec casttime. Also I feel like axe favour condition builds more.

Then there is Zealot’s defence.It is a stationary attack, but ranged and anti-projectile. And with easy access to quickness theough firebrand, you can deal a lot of dmg with this one, aswell as protect you from projectiles (utility and damage).

Blazing Edge is the utility for axe. Less offensive imo, but a good CC, still feels a bit clunky in execution.

And with right-hand strength, axe and sword hot the same CD. Sword got a bit more range, but no conditions to apply beside VoJ passive.

Also consider going Rune of Speed :) and maybe more offensive prefixes than wanderer, even though concentration is nice, I feel like you get to little out of it compared to what you sacrifice.

For a power-based FB, I believe sword is superior to axe (much better if paired with shield and moderately better if paired with focus). The dps of their auto attack chains are very comparable with neither of them really having an advantage over the other. As for their 2 and 3 skills, sword gives more mobility and damage. Sure axe has that 600 range pull but for guard, 600 range teleport > 600 range pull in the vast majority of cases.

Now if you're running a celestial build then yes, axe dps may be superior since axe was essentially designed for hybrid damage.

Yes sword 2 “symbol of blade” is just so nice

• teleport (though fairly short range)
  • Blind = dmg mitegation
  • Fury = dmg buff 50% uptime with right-handed strength. And with the Radiance trait line that means around 45% crit half the time without precision.
  • Light field = lot of oppotunities for cleansing, unfortunately no Light aura, since we got no leap here
  • Symbol = can heal, burn etc if you also have Zeal or honour trait (which you probably not have) even increase duration for more than 50% uptime of fury from symbol alone.

And since no mantras grant fury, well this is just a great addition. Would go sword/torch though for more dmg output, even just as power firebrand.It is just such a nice ability, and imo balanced very well not to be op. I would love more abilities like this xD

@Arcaedus.7290 said:For a power-based FB, I believe sword is superior to axe (much better if paired with shield and moderately better if paired with focus). The dps of their auto attack chains are very comparable with neither of them really having an advantage over the other. As for their 2 and 3 skills, sword gives more mobility and damage. Sure axe has that 600 range pull but for guard, 600 range teleport > 600 range pull in the vast majority of cases.

Now if you're running a celestial build then yes, axe dps may be superior since axe was essentially designed for hybrid damage.

Now i switched trinkets and backpiece to cavalier (power toughness ferocity) since i don't need precision at all because im running radiance with retaliation and the damage is great.

I didnt face any warrior or spellbreaker yet with this build change, but they are the class which gives me more problems, too many defensive abilities to stop my burst while their damage is way too high, i hope the extra toughness and ferocity from cavalier will help me, with shield trait i reach 3200 armor, and yeah i switched to sword :)

@whoknocks.4935 said:

@Arcaedus.7290 said:For a power-based FB, I believe sword is superior to axe (much better if paired with shield and moderately better if paired with focus). The dps of their auto attack chains are very comparable with neither of them really having an advantage over the other. As for their 2 and 3 skills, sword gives more mobility and damage. Sure axe has that 600 range pull but for guard, 600 range teleport > 600 range pull in the vast majority of cases.

Now i switched trinkets and backpiece to cavalier (power toughness ferocity) since i don't need precision at all because im running radiance with retaliation and the damage is great.

I didnt face any warrior or spellbreaker yet with this build change, but they are the class which gives me more problems, too many defensive abilities to stop my burst while their damage is way too high, i hope the extra toughness and ferocity from cavalier will help me, with shield trait i reach 3200 armor, and yeah i switched to sword :)

For fighting warriors, make sure to utilize blinds. Sword 2 blinds, GS 3 blinds, mantra blinds, and I think using F1 tome blinds.

I just wonder if Valkyr would be a better option than Cavalier.I mean armor is good and all for burst, but 3k might be waste compared to the lose of health (against conditions).Also Radiance-crit depends a lot on retaliation, and spellbreaker would be able to strip that, so active defences like dodge and blind might be your best shot.And try to avoid attack while full-counter is up :)

@Phoenix the One.4071 said:I just wonder if Valkyr would be a better option than Cavalier.I mean armor is good and all for burst, but 3k might be waste compared to the lose of health (against conditions).Also Radiance-crit depends a lot on retaliation, and spellbreaker would be able to strip that, so active defences like dodge and blind might be your best shot.And try to avoid attack while full-counter is up :)

I don't have many troubles against scourges if i have all my cooldowns and tomes ready to use.

Gs5 combined with judges interventions, plus pull and gs2 i bring them lower than 50% health already.

Then they counter attack using the barrier, the elite, and the shades.I kite around using resistance from tome3 if needed, tome2 for condi cleanse if im in trouble and with litany of wrath heal, combined with tome1 4thskill i heal up completely to full while dishing out tons of damage, and generally i finish them with sword or gs again.

But spellbreakers and core warriors are my main problem, maybe they are natural counters to the build.Spellbreaker can pop full counter easily because of sword2 symbol or tome1 skills, thats why its a tough fight, and when they start kite you, sometimes you can only do nothing and they already refilled to full health.And without stab you are an easy prey for them.

So that's why i prefer cavalier over valkyrie, power builds are 90% what i encounter, and i have good tools to deal with condis.

I highly recommend trying out a full mantra build I've been having huge success with it for months now focusing on maintaining 25 stacks of might: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQNAR7ensADFBj1BDOCDkCjl4BzqEkviUVBgGQ9aPmOT7pA-jVSBQBc4gAQhHAg/0NAgLAwCOCAOU9nXqE0jK/43+DrDGAmJpEMzMz0IzMzMzMlCIiZaA-w

Having a hard time against spellbreakers? Mantra of Truth nutures them and any other power class allowing you to decimate them. Not only is it casting weakness but cripples them so you can pull off your Whirling Wrath combos. Mantra of Potence allows you to Whirling Wrath quick enough the enemy can't escape as well as helps keep your might stacks high.

Anyways I recommend giving it a shot it has yet to disappoint me.

@"Thereon.5219" said:I highly recommend trying out a full mantra build I've been having huge success with it for months now focusing on maintaining 25 stacks of might: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQNAR7ensADFBj1BDOCDkCjl4BzqEkviUVBgGQ9aPmOT7pA-jVSBQBc4gAQhHAg/0NAgLAwCOCAOU9nXqE0jK/43+DrDGAmJpEMzMz0IzMzMzMlCIiZaA-w

Having a hard time against spellbreakers? Mantra of Truth nurtures them and any other power class allowing you to decimate them. Not only is it casting weakness but cripples them so you can pull off your Whirling Wrath combos. Mantra of Potence allows you to Whirling Wrath quick enough the enemy can't escape as well as helps keep your might stacks high.

Anyways I recommend giving it a shot it has yet to disappoint me.

Thanks for the feedback, im not a huge fun of the mantras, maybe i could use the cripple weakness one.

Without skills like judges interventions you suffer a lot in my opinion opening burst precasts and you are not able to chase down enemies which is already a bit of an issue being power firebrand.

Personally it's hard to give up on litany of wrath heal plus f1 tome4, is a guaranteed full heal from 1000 hp to max most of the times and people dont expect you full health again like that.

And heal mantra is good only popping all the 3 chains, and with 5 mantras during a fight its a pain to charge the mantra again, maybe your build works on small coordinated groups, but on solo roaming you need to be fast and get the advantage immediately in the fight.

Not sure about all the five mantras but if not wrong you have a stunbreak just on elite skill, running with one stunbreak is a death sentence, since firebrand have no passive stunbreak ability.

And you will get ganked a lot by thieves, mesmers and warrior that you waste your elite in zero time.

Thanks anyway, for sure i will get some tips out of your build :)

Archived