Returning player needing some advice/help

Hey all,

I've been away from GW2 for a number of years and just started playing again with my wife. We missed all of HoT and stopped playing a little while after fractals came out. My highest character is a level 80 guardian and we do not have either expansion yet. What would be a good build/armor selection to utilize to get back into the swing of things? Here's my current gear:

Nightmare Court Helm

• Power/Precision/Condi Damage

Valkyrie Warden Shoulderguards

• Power/Vitality/Ferocity

Knight's Warden Coat

• Power/Precision/Toughness

Valkyrie Warden Gloves

• Power/Vitality/Ferocity

Knight's Warden Leggings

Knight's Warden Boots

All armor has the Superior Trooper Rune

Mystic Claymore

• Power/Precision/Ferocity

Berserker's Ebon Vanguard Hammer

Berserker's Soft Wood Focus

full beserker gear all the way if you dont have any expansions, since there isn't much build option to be played at full potential if you do not have the expansions.if you want to play Condi, you can make Sinister set instead of Viper

Check out SnowCrows raid setup guide will give you a rough idea of how the classes have evolved during your time away

Gear in this game is very simple. There are only 2 important factors: the rarity and the stat combination. All gear with the same rarity, level requirement and stats is identical no matter where it comes from. So a level 80 exotic beserkers helm you crafted or bought from an NPC is just as good as one dropped by a boss or from a dungeon or whatever.

At level 80 you should be aiming for a full set of exotic equipment. Exotics are one down from top tier (which is ascended/legendary - those two have the same stats) but much easier and cheaper to get. The simplest option is to buy them from the trading post with gold, and there are some quite cheap exotics these days. But other options include crafting it, buying it from the temples in Orr with karma, buying it from the dungeon merchant in LA with dungeon tokens or getting it as drops (very rare) or from achievements.

Before buying however you'll also want to think about what stat combination you want. There are a lot of options: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Attribute_combinations

Beserkers is popular and it can be good in open-world PvE because it's a pure damage set. But that also makes it harder to play because you'll have the bare minimum of passive defense (vitality/health and toughness/armour) and need to rely on active defenses like dodging, kiting and reflecting attacks to stay alive. If you know what you're doing and you've got good reaction times it can be great because you'll kill things very quickly (which also helps - if they're not alive long enough to do many attacks they can't hurt you ask much) but if you're slower to respond or not good at knowing which attacks to dodge you may find you die a lot.

In that case it may be better to pick something with some defensive stats like Knights gear (toughness/power/precision).

The other major thing to think about is whether you're using a lot of damaging conditions. If so you'll probably want gear with condition damage instead of or as well as power, because conditions don't gain anything from power.

Also don't forget you can mix and match sets if you want to. If your ideal combination isn't available (or requires an expansion you don't have) you may be able to get close to it by combining different sets.

Berserker stats are good because it forces you to Git Gud by treating you to the school of hard knocks. Learning to survive in “glass cannon” gear is a vital skill to have. :)

(And honestly, active/passive defenses through abilities mitigate way more damage anyway)

yes, Orange is exotic

you can do world bosses if you want something a bit laid back, it will take 3hours to do all.

you can also do dungeons, but there isnt many people doing dungeons these days after the reward gold nerf... unless doing it for dailies or going for tokens to trade in for Gifts to craft legendary weapons.

there is also fractals, which you can get the exotic trinkets to socket agony infusions to survive higher level fractals before transitioning into ascended armors.

i think what you need is a goal, like 'I'm gonna go craft this legendary weapon', or 'I'm gonna go finish these achievements', etc.

Archived