Account suspension discussion [merged]

@FerrenoNL.7928 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@FerrenoNL.7928 said:I just got the suspension too. Likewise all I run is ArcDPS (with build templates) and TacO. Im presuming either of those is not allowed anymore.

Gaile, forwarding to a generic information post is not very helpful. I've submitted a support ticket and will await Anet's replies there in private.

@OP I recommend you do the same :)

I had both of those installed but needed to rebuild my PC 2 days ago (thus my pc uninstalled everything on it including GW2 and along with it arcdps and taco which I haven't re-added to GW2 yet). The thread said they suspended 1583 accounts but I find it hard to believe only 1583 had arcdps and/or taco. Taco is simply an overlay and all arcpds does is read screen information so they should both be okay to use.

ArcDPS reads game memory.

Eh, I guess. Either way it still isn't a violation as far as I'm aware.

It was at the start, then they said it isn't but also they said it's "use at your own risk".

This. I can imagine that perhaps Arc modified a memory address it wasn't supposed to by accident, or perhaps Anet's measurements are off.

I hope that they have competent people working on automated detection algorithms, and that something a bit sturdier than simply doing a processlist scan, flagging a "suspicious tool running alongside GW2" is required for them to move forward.

Nevertheless, if I'm understanding Gaile right, they are investigating, and whilst that investigation lasts, no appeals will be handled.

Deep inside, I hope in some cases they banned people using Arc. That would make my warnings from few months ago so true now.

That would contradict the greenlight from Chris a while back. Don't forget that Arc not only is a DPS meter, but also substitutes templates.

Not at all. Chris said it's allowed at that moment in time in version that was available at the moment of giving it green light. However there were multiple updates since then and deltaconnected himself admitted that Arc updates are not actively checked for compliance by Chris and he pushes the without Anet supervising the changes. That's why, it's always possible for Arc to be non compliant.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@NICENIKESHOE.7128 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

Deep inside, I hope in some cases they banned people using Arc. That would make my warnings from few months ago so true now.

Given the amount of people use it, including those who make guides (SnowCrow, Dulfy etc), I don't think a player warning beforehand would do justice. Especially since ANet give it a clear go on specific aspect after long negotiations and questions. Would at least be an official warning beforehand. Ofc these are assuming if arcdps doesn't get invasive.

Considering arc's feature of build templates (which technically is just an autoclicker macro) it may have caused false positive results. Anet can't see if you're using 3rd party tools but they can see if you're teleporting or going to places you're not supposed to - that's how they find these accounts. That means Arc has a potential to trigger antihacking detection at Anet.

@Fallesafe.5932 said:

@"Last Crysis.1934" said:Well the point is, if A-Net wanted us to have it they will give it to us.

Thanks for sharing your personal opinion. It's still not arcDPS.

That was year ago, Arc had multiple updates since then and deltaconnected himself admitted Anet doesn't actively check his updates for this tool.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

Given the amount of people use it, including those who make guides (SnowCrow, Dulfy etc), I don't think a player warning beforehand would do justice. Especially since ANet give it a clear go on specific aspect after long negotiations and questions. Would at least be an official warning beforehand. Ofc these are assuming if arcdps doesn't get invasive.

Considering arc's feature of build templates (which technically is just an autoclicker macro) it may have caused false positive results. Anet can't see if you're using 3rd party tools but they can see if you're teleporting or going to places you're not supposed to - that's how they find these accounts. That means Arc has a potential to trigger antihacking detection at Anet.

Indeed, which is why I say ANet permits specific aspect of arcdps. Keep in mind build template is an added feature with separate download plus warning README so normal player using arcdps only should not be at risk.

@"Gaile Gray.6029" said:You'll find information about a series of account suspensions in this thread.

Gaile please, I dont use illegal programs, please check my account.I have more than 10k hours, more than 36k achievements and I spend a lot of money in gems every month, why would I risk my account?Please, please, help.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Last Crysis.1934" said:Well the point is, if A-Net wanted us to have it they will give it to us.

That was year ago, Arc had multiple updates since then and deltaconnected himself admitted Anet doesn't actively check his updates for this tool.

Put your money where your mouth is. I'll bet you 1000 gold.(Edit: that nobody was banned because of ArcDPS)

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Oglaf.1074 said:Both arcDPS and tacO are
supposed
to be kosher based on previous Anet comments/policy.

They suspended under 2000 accounts. There are certainly far more accounts using ArcDPS and/or TACO than that.

Without evidence, I conclude that ArcDPS & TACO remain fine. And further, until proven otherwise, I'll assume that at least some of the people complaining about the suspension are being disingenuous about what software they use, some don't realize that there's an issue with another piece of software, some might have forgotten a previous use.

And sure, based on past experience with such things, probably a couple of the 1600 accounts involved some mistake on ANet's part. I'm sure ANet took all possible steps to reduce that possibility as much as possible, especially knowing that they would publicize this mass-suspension, but there's no system so perfect that it prevents mistakes from happening. Still, in the absence of any evidence to the contrary, I'm inclined to accept ANet's description.

tl;dr I doubt very much that the issue is with TACO or ArcDPS.

I only have my main account banned, and I only use Taco and arcdps with that account.Also, I use launchbuddy with my secundary account to get the daily chest, and I dont have any secondary account with a ban.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

That's my concern with the system, or lack thereof, is we occasionally get loose thumbs up from people at the company on certain items, but then seemingly there's no continued communication beyond that point, and if we continue to update mods that were once tolerated, they could easily be updated to cross a line.

I would 'hope' if it were any of those tools that they clearly know many of us use, that they'd have to either publicly (or perhaps privately) let us know we have something that is no longer acceptable before suspending us without appeal.

Banned too, I sometimes used gw2taco, augtyria (similar to gw2taco but for map completion), music macros and 2 other macros for dodge jump (g11 and g12 on my keyboard) as i thought it was fine to use macros if its 1 macro for 1 action.

Edit: To make it more clear i reprogrammed G11 to be space and G12 to be V. I still have to press both at the same time to dodge jump like you would with space + v

Kinda funny i am getting more harshly punished for some unkown reason than people who real life money traded PVP wins and only got a 3 month pvp suspension and can still play the game.

@Serra.5479 said:

@"Gaile Gray.6029" said:You'll find information about a series of account suspensions in

Gaile please, I dont use illegal programs, please check my account.I have more than 10k hours, more than 36k achievements and I spend a lot of money in gems every month, why would I risk my account?Please, please, help.

Gaile can't do anything. If you want to appeal this decision you'll need to submit a ticket to Support. (Make sure you include any information you think might be relevant.)

Be aware they're probably overwhelmed with tickets right now, so you'll probably have to wait a while to get a response, but you're not going to get one at all by posting on the forum.

@Fallesafe.5932 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

Put your money where your mouth is. I'll bet you 1000 gold.(Edit: that nobody was banned because of ArcDPS)

I'm not saying anyone was. I'm saying this app is never safe and may cause their detection systems to trigger. Talking about mouth and money, give me statement from Anet where they say this app is 100% safe to use. You won't find one.

@Twoodi.5849 said:Banned too, I sometimes used gw2taco, augtyria (similar to gw2taco but for map completion), music macros and 2 other macros for dodge jump (g11 and g12 on my keyboard) as i thought it was fine to use macros if its 1 macro for 1 action.

Kinda funny i am getting more harshly punished for some unkown reason than people who real life money traded PVP wins and only got a 3 month pvp suspension and can still play the game.

Jump dodge, is two actions in very close succession. You’d have had the same effect laying your thumb over Space (jump) and V (dodge). You macroing the action made it 2 actions > 1 key press.

Seems like a lot of these bans are from similar macros/addons to jump dodge, or fly/no clip SAB Trib modes. Good riddance to cheaters!

Depends how you bind the keys too, via ingame options = ok. Synapse or other 3rd party, seems to net you a ban if using it illicitly.

@Last Crysis.1934 said:Well the point is, if A-Net wanted us to have it they will give it to us.

Well as ArenaNet's own Chris Cleary worked with the developer of ArcDPS from time to time (over the build templates, for example) I'd say that's not actually the case that they don't want us to have it.

Also TacO uses APIs that ArenaNet specifically created for use by 3rd party programs.

@Danikat.8537 said:

@"Gaile Gray.6029" said:You'll find information about a series of account suspensions in

Gaile can't do anything. If you want to appeal this decision you'll need to submit a ticket to Support. (Make sure you include any information you think might be relevant.)

Be aware they're probably overwhelmed with tickets right now, so you'll probably have to wait a while to get a response, but you're not going to get one at all by posting on the forum.

I just want them to double check the bans, because they must be wrong with some people. Im really, really sure I dont do any illegal or use any illegal program, other way I wont be here trying to get some help with the ban.

@Haleydawn.3764 said:

@Twoodi.5849 said:Banned too, I sometimes used gw2taco, augtyria (similar to gw2taco but for map completion), music macros and 2 other macros for dodge jump (g11 and g12 on my keyboard) as i thought it was fine to use macros if its 1 macro for 1 action.

Jump dodge, is two actions in very close succession. You’d have had the same effect laying your thumb over Space (jump) and V (dodge). You macroing the action made it 2 actions > 1 key press.

Seems like a lot of these bans are from similar macros/addons to jump dodge, or fly/no clip SAB Trib modes. Good riddance to cheaters!

I think you misunderstood me g11 was space g12 was v so it was still two independent buttons i just used it because its easier for me to fit one finger over the smaller macro keys.

I must say this dealt with in a rather punitive and heavy handed. Usually suspension of this caliber is done against people who actively profit from expolits and bots, but here we have people that got suspended for 6 months for simply having the wrong and outdated dps meter. Impersonal, with no human touch or empathy as can be seen by the policy of not even hearing appeals of those affected.

I did not get suspended but I am very disappointed. Is this kind of game company that we should expect Anet to be from now on?

Archived