Account suspension discussion [merged]

This is why no third party software should have ever been greenlit by ArenaNet in the first place (and was probably why they chose not to do so for 4+ years). By making "were okay with it, but use at your own risk" statements about things like Arc, they opened the door to a lot of experimentation from players without the developer support or oversight to make sure these tools aren't abused in some way.

Simply put, they do not have the manpower to police what and how it is used, so their only two options are a blanket "this is okay" with zero followup or a stern punishment for first time offenders. Anything in between the two extremes pretty much has to fall into the "punishment" side or they risk add ons hurting the game's performance or fairness.

Yes, players should be banned if they deliberately use third party software to gain an in game advantage - but Anet opened this door themselves when they started tacitly endorsing dps meters and other tools - and, as a result, are, imo, as responsible for much of the fallout as the actual offenders.

This is just editorial, btw - I don't use these tools and I was not banned.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont know guys, I feel pretty sad and bad now. I got the ban, and I only use arcdps and taco, both of them supported by anet. I also have a razer mouse, I dont know if the drivers can also be a problem.

Also the dont appeal statement is more depressing.Im a guild leader, more than 9k hours, 36k achievements and I spend a lot of money every month in gems. I never, never, would put my account on risk, that wont have any sense. I just want a revision, but they say they wont accept an appeal.

@Belorn.2659 said:I must say this dealt with in a rather punitive and heavy handed. Usually suspension of this caliber is done against people who actively profit from expolits and bots, but here we have people that got suspended for 6 months for simply having the wrong and outdated dps meter. Impersonal, with no human touch or empathy as can be seen by the policy of not even hearing appeals of those affected.

I did not get suspended but I am very disappointed. Is this kind of game company that we should expect Anet to be from now on?

There is a lot of speculation, but we do not know the reason for the suspension. Personally I do not give a penny for those being suspended and claiming not using any third party app. It is their word against that of Arenanet. The reason for suspension is between them and arenanet. So even if they try to claim a or b, arenanet seems to know different. If that is correct, is between them as well.Don’t get me wrong, I’m dying out of curiousity, but I know from these situation to not jump to conclusions and not to trust someone on their word. I have seen people claiming they didn’t do anything wrong, while they actually used a third party teleportation hack.

TL;DR Everything in this thread so far has been speculation but the fact that 2k-ish people have been suspended for using a third party app as arenanet confirmed that.

@mercury ranique.2170 said:

@Belorn.2659 said:I must say this dealt with in a rather punitive and heavy handed. Usually suspension of this caliber is done against people who actively profit from expolits and bots, but here we have people that got suspended for 6 months for simply having the wrong and outdated dps meter. Impersonal, with no human touch or empathy as can be seen by the policy of not even hearing appeals of those affected.

I did not get suspended but I am very disappointed. Is this kind of game company that we should expect Anet to be from now on?

There is a lot of speculation, but we do not know the reason for the suspension. Personally I do not give a penny for those being suspended and claiming not using any third party app. It is their word against that of Arenanet. The reason for suspension is between them and arenanet. So even if they try to claim a or b, arenanet seems to know different. If that is correct, is between them as well.Don’t get me wrong, I’m dying out of curiousity, but I know from these situation to not jump to conclusions and not to trust someone on their word. I have seen people claiming they didn’t do anything wrong, while they actually used a third party teleportation hack.

TL;DR Everything in this thread so far has been speculation but the fact that 2k-ish people have been suspended for using a third party app as arenanet confirmed that.

Except, all Anet does is posting claims. They never show proof. My question is, who's protecting us against Anet mistakes? Because they made mistakes in the past in terms of bans.

@Twoodi.5849 said:Banned too, I sometimes used gw2taco, augtyria (similar to gw2taco but for map completion), music macros and 2 other macros for dodge jump (g11 and g12 on my keyboard) as i thought it was fine to use macros if its 1 macro for 1 action.

Kinda funny i am getting more harshly punished for some unkown reason than people who real life money traded PVP wins and only got a 3 month pvp suspension and can still play the game.

The second you mentioned macro I knew why you got banned. I think there was a time not too long ago where Anet said they were going to do something about things like music macros. You didn't get banned for an 'unknown' reason at all.

@Kururu.8140 said:

@Twoodi.5849 said:Banned too, I sometimes used gw2taco, augtyria (similar to gw2taco but for map completion), music macros and 2 other macros for dodge jump (g11 and g12 on my keyboard) as i thought it was fine to use macros if its 1 macro for 1 action.

Kinda funny i am getting more harshly punished for some unkown reason than people who real life money traded PVP wins and only got a 3 month pvp suspension and can still play the game.

The second you mentioned macro I knew why you got banned. I think there was a time not too long ago where Anet said they were going to do something about things like music macros. You didn't get banned for an 'unknown' reason at all.

One of the developers were quoted saying Music macros are fine and i haven't used them in months anyway. Another developers said its fine to use macros if its 1 macro per action and having g11 as space g12 as v is fine according to their rules.

here's what I do know ... you won't get suspended if you use 0 3rd party programs ...

Look people, we all play this little game with ourselves and push the limits with 3rd party software. JUST don't do it if you value the time you played the game. It's not worth it. You don't know how they work and the EULA is VERY clear these things. Don't play the innocent victim. It doesn't translate well on the Anet end.

@Twoodi.5849 said:

One of the developers were quoted saying Music macros are fine and i haven't used them in months anyway. Another developers said its fine to use macros if its 1 macro per action and having g11 as space g12 as v is fine according to their rules.

Those aren't really macros so much as programmable keys, I think?

I use a Razer Orbweaver and Logitech G600 MMO mouse, both of which are fully programmable and I've remapped the heck out of them and I've received no ban.

@Pifil.5193 said:

I use a Razer Orbweaver and Logitech G600 MMO mouse, both of which are fully programmable and I've remapped the heck out of them and I've received no ban.

If that's the case them I'm not really sure. I don't know the principles in which they banned people on. I've just been coming across an awful lot of 'innocent' people receiving a ban and others who somehow dodged the ban hammer.

Friend got banned, and cant get appeal for 6 months? That seems absurb. My friend is a super casual player only does Fractals then log off, no pvp or wvw and doesnt really care about open world content. So to say he had an "illicit third party program" Other than Taco for HP / and ArcDPS which were both greenlighted by officals is just... Anet you're losing trust on your customers.

I can respect that I don't know the whole picture and only got the word of those suspended and anets statement, but not even listen to appeals is just out there. 6 months deserve a case per case handling with a human in control. What ever human resources they saved on this move will likely cost them in the long run.

I have played anet games since gw1 beta. Not once have I heard of anyone getting 6 month suspension for anything less than clear evidence of rewards gained from botting and cheat tools in pvp, handled in a case per case fashion. It looks like we are not dealing with that reality any more.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

Except, all Anet does is posting claims. They never show proof. My question is, who's protecting us against Anet mistakes? Because they made mistakes in the past in terms of bans.

Two mechanics.1: the law. It is a difficult and troublesome process, but if the rules laid down by our democratic rulers are good enough, you should be protected by wrong doings (even despite giving arenanet the right to block your access on their leisure.2: the ultimate customer power by not doing business with them.

Either one will not result in getting an account be reinstated. No judge will ever tell arenanet to allow access for someone they do not want in. But it are the option available (besides talking with arenanet by opening a support ticket if you believe you have been done wrong).

That is my only critique to Gaile’s post. For either way, a customer (or ex-customer) has the right to a dialogue. You might not be willing to participate in the dialogue, but someone suspended has the right to contact you and enquire about the reason of the suspension and question your decision. (And it is your discretion to answer when you find fitting). Just...you might be wrong. I have no doubt you took great care, it you might be wrong. There might be circumstances you didn’t foresee. So using the dialogue would suit you. Maybe not in the 72 hour time frame. Maybe not often giving information satisfying to the person suspended, just an open mind to hear someone out.

You know almost every person in prison claims they are innocent. Just like all these people here are claiming they are innocent. Anet won't post proof due to privacy reasons but I'm sure if they could all of you would be having your feet in your mouths.

@Rufo.3716 said:You know almost every person in prison claims they are innocent. Just like all these people here are claiming they are innocent. Anet won't post proof due to privacy reasons but I'm sure if they could all of you would be having your feet in your mouths.

I dont have any problem of them posting what I do, because I dont do any illegal.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Belorn.2659" said:I must say this dealt with in a rather punitive and heavy handed. Usually suspension of this caliber is done against people who actively profit from expolits and bots, but here we have people that got suspended for 6 months for simply having the wrong and outdated dps meter. Impersonal, with no human touch or empathy as can be seen by the policy of not even hearing appeals of those affected.

Two mechanics.1: the law. It is a difficult and troublesome process, but if the rules laid down by our democratic rulers are good enough, you should be protected by wrong doings (even despite giving arenanet the right to block your access on their leisure.2: the ultimate customer power by not doing business with them.

I would love to see a case of bans in game in the court. Not gonna happen. The second option can only "save" you in the future, but doesn't help you if Anet bans you based on false positive results, taking away all the money you invested through years. In terms of what players can do, there is literally nothing to protect us if Anet decides to ignore appeals.

@Pifil.5193 said:

That's part of the problem here. Some people use the word macro to mean any key bound to one of the extra buttons some keyboards have, or to a mouse button. For example I have dodge bound to X on my keyboard, and one of the buttons on the side of my mouse set to X, so when I press it while playing GW2 I dodge. The way some people use the word that is a macro. (I believe this is a result of the fact that in many cases these buttons were designed for actual macros - they can usually be programmed to execute long strings of actions - and therefore get called macro buttons.)

I think that's why Anet made their rule that one button press = one action is allowed, any more than that is not. If you press a button and jump and a second button and dodge (and therefore press them both together to dodge jump) it doesn't matter if it's space and V (or whatever key dodge is on by default) or G11 and G12, or X and a mouse button. As long as you press one button to jump and one to dodge it's ok. But if you push one button and your character jumps and dodges that is not allowed.

Another problem is some people seem to make up their own definition of 'one action' and then tell themselves that's what Anet meant. I'm sure someone will read what I wrote above and want to argue that I'm talking about dodge jumping and that is one action and therefore should be allowed, even though it's designed to require 2 key presses to complete. Some people take it to what I think are absurd lengths - I once encountered a guy in map chat insisting that the 'one key for one action' rule allowed build templates because changing all your skills and all your traits is not 10+ separate actions, it's 1 build change and therefore 1 action.

(Software can also be problematic - the Logitech software I use to bind X to a button on the side of my mouse can also be used to create and run actual macros - long strings of commands. For example if I wanted to I could actually set it up so I push 1 button and it opens the chat box, selects a channel and types a pre-recorded message. Or I could set it so I push 1 button and it carries out an entire skill rotation. I can easily imagine someone asking in-game if the Logitech software is ok to use with GW2, being told yes it's fine and assuming that means all it's functions are allowed, not just the ones that follow the games rules.)

My account got suspended too, and I have never used anything besides arcdps. I did NOT do anything illegal (yes, I'm 100% certain), and I'd like to know why it happened. The only thing that could be seen as something that violates rules was sending 100 gold to a friend of mine, but I doubt that's the reason.There seems to be a very high percent of false positives.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Belorn.2659" said:I must say this dealt with in a rather punitive and heavy handed. Usually suspension of this caliber is done against people who actively profit from expolits and bots, but here we have people that got suspended for 6 months for simply having the wrong and outdated dps meter. Impersonal, with no human touch or empathy as can be seen by the policy of not even hearing appeals of those affected.

I would love to see a case of bans in game in the court. Not gonna happen. The second option can only "save" you in the future, but doesn't help you if Anet bans you based on false positive results, taking away all the money you invested through years. In terms of what players can do, there is literally nothing to protect us if Anet decides to ignore appeals.

A suspension for me is like a permaban. I dont miss a daily, and I spend a lot of money in the game. I shouldnt be banned unfairly, they must accept appeals and check what got wrong with the ban wave.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

There actually has been one between another mmo and a suspended customer. He got a refund of some purchases as the time to enjoy it was not sufficient. But yes, a suspension has never been turned around and likely never will be. A supplier of a service can stop the service at their leisure. Only in extreme cases it can be turned around (e.g. if it is proven they did so for someone being female, or something simular)

@Fallesafe.5932 said:

@"Last Crysis.1934" said:Well the point is, if A-Net wanted us to have it they will give it to us.

Thanks for sharing your personal opinion. It's still not arcDPS.

Sorry, for the delay. Was out getting dinner. Here's your answer for those asking. Though, I would still love some confirmation from Gaile as to whether the two programs in question are now no longer allowed. Regardless, I'd stop using either program until we know for sure.

@Serra.5479 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

A suspension for me is like a permaban. I dont miss a daily, and I spend a lot of money in the game. I shouldnt be banned unfairly, they must accept appeals and check what got wrong with the ban wave.

I'm sorry but as a regular player I have no interest in believing neither you nor anet. Submit a ticket if you haven't yet and wait for response.

We have no way of knowing what software they are discussing, but we can be more than reasonably sure it's not Arc and not TACO and not LaunchBuddy, at least not alone. We can also be sure it's not software that comes with gaming mice or even a dodge jumping macro. Why? Because far, far more than 1600 people use or have used such software and fewer than that were affected.

We can also be reasonably sure that at least some of the people posting "I dunno why I was banned" do know, despite their protests. And that some people don't remember that they have used such software in the past; there's no statute of limitations on when ANet will suspend an account. And some people might think that, gee, if Arc is okay, then so is any program that reads from the memory (without adding capabilities, e.g. to character mobility or incoming/outgoing damage or target location/details).

And sure, ANet might also have made a mistake. Still, out of fewer than 1600 accounts affected, how many mistakes do we think is likely? 800? 80? 16? or just a handful?

If your account was affected, file a support ticket, and word it as graciously as you can.a If your account wasn't affected, why borrow trouble worrying about it? If you've been using Software X for 6 months, stopping today isn't going to protect you if it's deemed a violation.

@"Laila Lightness.8742" said:There is no innocents if you got suspended you broke the rules probly for using arc dps and TACO if anet approved these they would be built in game in first place sorry you got banned but its the truth

Wrong, You can get wrongfully banned it's possible and not something that happens once in a blue moon. https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/7rcmjw/had_a_1440_hour_ban_for_third_party_software_use/this reddit post is a prime example of a wrongfully banned and got reverted.Also, these programs you're claiming to be illegal is greenlighted by Chris.

@"Serra.5479" said:I dont know guys, I feel pretty sad and bad now. I got the ban, and I only use arcdps and taco, both of them supported by anet. I also have a razer mouse, I dont know if the drivers can also be a problem.

Also the dont appeal statement is more depressing.Im a guild leader, more than 9k hours, 36k achievements and I spend a lot of money every month in gems. I never, never, would put my account on risk, that wont have any sense. I just want a revision, but they say they wont accept an appeal.

Arc and Taco are not supported by Anet. They tolerated them but with the "use at your own risk" warning. You have been warned. It's that easy. May not seem fair, but they did warn you and as others have stated: Only older versions (especially of Arc) have been "greenlit" by Anet. These statements are sometimes over 1 year old. And there happend updates to these addons in this year which may be banworthy.

Archived