Please! Need help with FPS

Hi all,

I'm first to admit that I'm really dumb when compared to most when it comes to PC gaming, but I've tried to fix an issue that has dogged me for quite a while. I purchased a newer computer recently that was playing GW2 at about 30-40FPS, which was WAY more than what I was getting on my previous computer.

Over the past few days though my frame rate has dropped right back down to where it was, and GW2 seems to be eating into all my memory and CPU usage, and i'm back down to the 10-25 FPS that I was trying to get out of to being with.

My specs are:Dell Inspiron 3650Windows 10Intel Core i5-6400 CPU @ 2.70GHz 2.71GHz8.00GB RAM64-Bit OS

Are you using the intel graphics? If so then you are sitting about right. Sadly, using a pre-built system will limit what GPU you can put into it, as I believe that model Inspiron has only a 300w PSU. The only dedicated GPU you will be able to use will be older, low end models that do not require more than 200w. The only other option is to play on lower settings.

@"Ashantara.8731" said:Have you already unparked all CPU cores etc.? --> https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/467900#Comment_467900

It is worth noting that a CPU core is "parked" when it is not actually beneficial to have it active. If you find a situation where it actually helps to unpark them manually, you should also submit feedback to Microsoft so they can fix whatever bug is going on. Just like using memory for caching disk content even when stuff is in the swap file, this can even end up improving overall performance!

Also, flagging GW2 for "game mode" using the game bar definitely won't hurt getting this sort of thing automated for you...

! The reason it can end up improving performance is that the various levels of shared cache in the CPU can make running things on less cores faster, because less time is spent loading data to or from memory, or slower levels of cache, and instead being able to spend more time executing actual code. Computers are ... no longer intuitive regarding performance, in an annoying number of ways.

@"SlippyCheeze.5483" said:Also, flagging GW2 for "game mode" using the game bar definitely won't hurt getting this sort of thing automated for you...

The term "game mode" reminds me to mention that it is wise to add the GW2 game folder to the list of exception in your antivirus' behavior shield. Constant scanning of files can slow down performance as well.

@moonstarmac.4603 said:Are you using the intel graphics? If so then you are sitting about right. Sadly, using a pre-built system will limit what GPU you can put into it, as I believe that model Inspiron has only a 300w PSU. The only dedicated GPU you will be able to use will be older, low end models that do not require more than 200w. The only other option is to play on lower settings.

Actually he can get a GT 1030 which is only 30w and can run the game at very good settings.

@ArmoredVehicle.2849 said:

@moonstarmac.4603 said:Are you using the intel graphics? If so then you are sitting about right. Sadly, using a pre-built system will limit what GPU you can put into it, as I believe that model Inspiron has only a 300w PSU. The only dedicated GPU you will be able to use will be older, low end models that do not require more than 200w. The only other option is to play on lower settings.

Actually he can get a GT 1030 which is only 30w and can run the game at very good settings.

Yeah, my 60 dollar GT730 is allowing me to play very ably and smoothly at high settings -and that's a good thing since my 6 year old Dell's PSU is only 265 watts.

Archived