New Player looking for help with profession

Hi there,

I'm new player of GW2 and need ur help. (I'm WoW Player but now I want to try GW)

I have already bought both DLC and I need your help in choosing a profession.

I would like my profession to manage leveling well and use it mainly for PvE (It's great if PvP would also be ok). I want to use it later for raids.

I prefer mainly DPS chars, no matter if it is caster or not. What can you recommend for me?

In gw2 there isn’t trinity (tank, dps, healer). You need to do all three. Some classes count more on kill quick, tank less (glasscanon style). Others kill slower but have more survivability.

So the differences between classes or less obvious when it comes to stats. The main difference is the thematic. So really look at what you find attractive. Leveling is a lot easier and gw2 has limited geargrind. Way before the last geargrind (which only makes you 5% better) you should know if you are dedicated to that class.

Honestly, I'd suggest trying out each of them that sound interesting to you. The level 80 boost you get will even let you get a feel for a class before committing to it.

As you continue with the game, having alternate characters becomes pretty normal. I don't know first had, but I believe it is less time consuming to move from class to class than in WoW.

every class has a dps spec, you're gonna have to narrow it down to what game style you want. My only advice: Unless you have a guild or a group of friends to raid with, don't pick necro. Pugs don't accept necros with open arms. May change down the line but I've stopped hoping for that.

I will quicky explain here what profession does at end game pve

Condition = dotPower = direct damage (not from dots)

Warrior - 3 possible builds, decent dps but it is taken for passive buffs that he provide to the group. Every party want one. Easier to play and power option is good for beginers.

Guardian - 2 builds, both dps. One is easier power dps, other condition with wierd rotations. Both are ok but not best at what they do. Power option is good for beginers.

Revenant - 1 condition dps build. Its in the upper half if i remember and can adapt rotation to provide some buffs during split phases.

Thief - dont know how many builds but its all dps. Never played one so not much i can say. Rotation is very repetetive if i heard correctly.

Engeneer - 1 dps power build that is quite good since it buff condition damage of your party.

Ranger - either ok condi dps or best healer in the game. Every party want druid as a healer

Elementaliat - 1 top tier power build. Little defense and ultility compensated by enormous dps. Depends on good support and position to be efective since he has to cast for long time. One of the most complex rotations

Necromancer - 1 top tier condi build. Very good at cleaving adds. Can provide barrier to block some damage. When multiple are used can bounce condition from boss to adds and rest can bounce them beck from adds for gigantic dps increse but that require coordination

Mesmer - 2-3 builds. One great single target condition spec with little cleave. Can take specific ultility spells for encounter. One power that is similar to zhe condi one. And one support spec that provide active buffs to party. Everyone wants one for those buffs. Also if fight need tank its support mesmer. Support variant is expensive to gear.

Edit: generaly power builds are easiest to gear. If some variants interest you feel free to ask and i will try to go more in depth.

Edit2: its true that necromancet is sometimes kicked because it used to be basicaly a joke for raids. It has its uses. In fight with adds he kills them easily so there is no reason to focus adds and everyone can just focus the boss. If you stack necromancers in encounters with adds each brings much more dps then the first one from bouncing. On the other hand in fights where are no adds its basicaly condi class with lower dps then others (on this encounters condi mesmer shines since he has best single target condi dps a d no cleave - exact oposite)

@Optimator.3589 said:If you're looking to pug raid, avoid necro, rev, or warrior. Ele and thief would be good choices, with the former being an exceptionally versatile class that has a very high skill ceiling.

Warrior? Wat. Warrior is one of the most desired classes for Raiding at the moment:

A Raid squad is always going to want a Banner Boy and recent patches made Power Spellbreaker a good DPS spec.

You’re talking out of your rear end.

Dps slot is not the same as in other mmo since sometimes you need to do more then dps. You have to decide if you want something that do only damage (but very high) or if you want to do lower damage but bring some ultility. Something like cc, projectile and so on.

Some profesions bring ultility and have easier rotations but needs to use your spells at right moment. Others habe harder rotations but dont need to do other stuff. Depends on your style

@Oglaf.1074 said:

@Optimator.3589 said:If you're looking to pug raid, avoid necro, rev, or warrior. Ele and thief would be good choices, with the former being an exceptionally versatile class that has a very high skill ceiling.

Warrior? Wat. Warrior is one of the most desired classes for Raiding at the moment:

A Raid squad is
always
going to want a Banner Boy and recent patches made Power Spellbreaker a good DPS spec.

Many squads will already have a banner war, and IIRC, power war was pretty low on Quantify's benchmarks. Apologies if I'm giving outdated info.

@Optimator.3589 said:

A Raid squad is
always
going to want a Banner Boy and recent patches made Power Spellbreaker a good DPS spec.

Many squads will already have a banner war, and IIRC, power war was pretty low on Quantify's benchmarks. Apologies if I'm giving outdated info.

My point is that If you're going to disqualify an entire class on the basis that the group might already have an X or Y then there's literally no class left for you to pick.

It is a silly thing to do.

The fact of the matter is that Warriors are both integral and popular for Raids and should not be lumped in with Revenants or Necromancers who are very situational and generally just accepted into one or two bosses (such as BK or HK for Deimos etc).

@Oglaf.1074 said:

A Raid squad is
always

I love my warrior. Tough and fun. No complaints at all from me.