New Player getting into Raids

Hi everyone,

I just have some questions regarding raiding in the barriers to entry as well as rewards.

Rewards are my primary concern I suppose. After some searching the main lore (for me) to do the raid is the fact that it drops ascended gear. Im the type of player that loves PvE content and gearing up to the best but I enjoy getting them from drops and not really crafting but ill craft if I have to. So my concern comes from people saying you need ascended gear to raid, and if thats true what is the point of doing it if you already have the best gear that the game offers (stats wise)? Even past gearing up full id still like to enjoy the experience and the rewards but im having trouble understanding what exactly I can do with rewards other than the gear.

Also Im just getting my feet wet with game and only have PoF. I understand the main raiding experience is with the HoT expansion which I will purchase but does anyone do the Hall of Chains Raid at all? Are there unique rewards for doing Hall of Chains over Spirit vale and the other prongs of the other raid?

You dont need ascended. Most casual / training raids will take you with exotic.

Gear is gear, Ascended or Legendary the difference isn't stat value its function and fashion.People clear whatever, its different per group. Some like to full clear and other just go for the lucrative gold runs (Gorse/Dhuum/Whatever wing has Call of the Mists)

If all you're after is ascended gear, fractals have a better drop rate for asc gear, but they don't have the unique skins in raids. As for gear, tex said it well; asc gear isn't needed, just learn the encounter by either watch vids on it, join training runs, ask in the aerodrome, or read the wiki. This game is horrible at teaching players so you have to learn it yourself. Additionally, it reeeeaaaalllly helps if you know your class inside and out. Know what your traits do, know what your utilities do, know your weapon skills. Know how you dps.

Also are you na or eu?

You can do raid with exotic gear. Bare in mind many ppl are using dps meter that can see your dps and performance, so you can try to practice your rotation with the training Golem in LA aerodrome... Make sure they are ok. Also learn the boss mechanic from like dulfy or video etc..When you join raid... Even fail match you get the raid currency which you can use that to buy asc gear.. there are some achievements that reward asc gear too and trinkets from open map etc..Ur game package pof doesn't hv hot stuff and raid? I highly recommend to buy everything!! :) Good luck in ur adventure.

@Sephylon.4938 said:If all you're after is ascended gear, fractals have a better drop rate for asc gear, but they don't have the unique skins in raids. As for gear, tex said it well; asc gear isn't needed, just learn the encounter by either watch vids on it, join training runs, ask in the aerodrome, or read the wiki. This game is horrible at teaching players so you have to learn it yourself. Additionally, it reeeeaaaalllly helps if you know your class inside and out. Know what your traits do, know what your utilities do, know your weapon skills. Know how you dps.

Also are you na or eu?

I am in NA, I guess another problem is I rolled Deadeye as my first character. Not exactly popular or practical in raids apparently. Also wow people weren't kidding about the fashion wars stuff. People really do the raid for skins

I can't remember the last time I was gear checked in a pug on NA. People mostly care about kp and LI but if you're just getting youre just getting feet wet, training raids or joining a guild is your best bet. Most progression groups won't demand ascended. They will just expect you to practice rotations. Raiding in the long term provides a reliable stream of ascended gear.

Fractals does as well but has the unfortunate gate of requiring ascended gear to get reliable ascended drops.

@Almondjoy.8964 said:

@"Sephylon.4938" said:If all you're after is ascended gear, fractals have a better drop rate for asc gear, but they don't have the unique skins in raids. As for gear, tex said it well; asc gear isn't needed, just learn the encounter by either watch vids on it, join training runs, ask in the aerodrome, or read the wiki. This game is horrible at teaching players so you have to learn it yourself. Additionally, it reeeeaaaalllly helps if you know your class inside and out. Know what your traits do, know what your utilities do, know your weapon skills. Know how you dps.

Also are you na or eu?

I am in NA, I guess another problem is I rolled Deadeye as my first character. Not exactly popular or practical in raids apparently. Also wow people weren't kidding about the fashion wars stuff. People really do the raid for skins

it's why easy mode raid is a hot topic atm

https://snowcrows.com/raids/thief/ - My advice, find a guild or a group of people you like playing with to avoid pugs, you do not want to use the lfg when you're just starting.

@Almondjoy.8964 said:Hi everyone,

I just have some questions regarding raiding in the barriers to entry as well as rewards.

Rewards are my primary concern I suppose. After some searching the main lore (for me) to do the raid is the fact that it drops ascended gear. Im the type of player that loves PvE content and gearing up to the best but I enjoy getting them from drops and not really crafting but ill craft if I have to. So my concern comes from people saying you need ascended gear to raid, and if thats true what is the point of doing it if you already have the best gear that the game offers (stats wise)? Even past gearing up full id still like to enjoy the experience and the rewards but im having trouble understanding what exactly I can do with rewards other than the gear.

Also Im just getting my feet wet with game and only have PoF. I understand the main raiding experience is with the HoT expansion which I will purchase but does anyone do the Hall of Chains Raid at all? Are there unique rewards for doing Hall of Chains over Spirit vale and the other prongs of the other raid?

Having ascended for raid is a plus, but exotics will be fine to get things done esp nowadays. GW2 has no gearing threadmill because of the easy accesss to end game stats/ equipments. Thus, the rewards is to have unique skins (value weight on fashion/ rarity) :sunglasses: . The enjoying experience revolve around who you're doing it with, goal; to obtain skins etc. for the grind. (Since the desire to grind repeatedly for story doesn't sound plausible to me :lol:)

There are players doing Hall of Chains (latest raid). The difference between the raid rewards are mostly skins and infusions (look up ghostly infusion; effects).

When players turn to LFG, they will have expectations for the players they're getting (hence the Kp, Li). Such group ain't suitable for players that are new to the raid. Tho occasionally, some will click.

Like others said before me; consider Raiders Inn (If you're from NA). Training or w/e people calls, it's a LFG platform/commmunity with the mentality to enter raids. With experienced players showing the ropes.

@Eramonster.2718 said:Having ascended for raid is a plus, but exotics will be fine to get things done esp nowadays.A note here: if you don't have ascended gear yet, go with power dps build. That's where the difference is the least noticeable. Yes, your DPS will go down, but at initial level learning your rotations and raid mechanics will be of greater value. Where ascended gear is more important is for any build with Expertise and Concentration stats (especially that last one), as you generally won't be able to cap condi duration and boon duration in exotics (not with the meta builds anyway).

And as for rewards... in GW2, the main rewards (as far as gear goes) are not better stats, but vanity look. It's not called Fashion Wars 2 for no reason. People used to the traditional MMORPG models with gear-grind hamster wheels might find it weird, but we kind of like it that way. That means we don't need to keep upgrading gear over and over again.

@Eramonster.2718 said:

Having ascended for raid is a plus, but exotics will be fine to get things done esp nowadays. GW2 has no gearing threadmill because of the easy accesss to end game stats/ equipments. Thus, the rewards is to have unique skins (value weight on fashion/ rarity) :sunglasses: . The
enjoying experience
revolve around who you're doing it with, goal; to obtain skins etc. for the grind. (Since the desire to grind repeatedly for story doesn't sound plausible to me :lol:)

There are players doing Hall of Chains (latest raid). The difference between the raid rewards are mostly skins and infusions (look up ghostly infusion; effects).

When players turn to LFG, they will have expectations for the players they're getting (hence the Kp, Li). Such group ain't suitable for players that are new to the raid. Tho occasionally, some will click.

Like others said before me; consider Raiders Inn (If you're from NA). Training or w/e people calls, it's a LFG platform/commmunity with the mentality to enter raids. With experienced players showing the ropes.

Okay so skins it is! Im cool with raiding for that. What kind of skins are available for a thief that comes from the raid?

@Almondjoy.8964 said:

Having ascended for raid is a plus, but exotics will be fine to get things done esp nowadays. GW2 has no gearing threadmill because of the easy accesss to end game stats/ equipments. Thus, the rewards is to have unique skins (value weight on fashion/ rarity) :sunglasses: . The
enjoying experience
revolve around who you're doing it with, goal; to obtain skins etc. for the grind. (Since the desire to grind repeatedly for story doesn't sound plausible to me :lol:)

Okay so skins it is! Im cool with raiding for that. What kind of skins are available for a thief that comes from the raid?

lol, you don't want to know...

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Perfected_Envoy_armor_(medium)

@Almondjoy.8964 said:

enjoying experience

skip to 1:54 to see animations and skip the forging of the armor. Some unique boss skills obtained through either the boss chest (lootable once per week) or by buying them via magnetite shards/gaeting crystals from scholar Glenna. The first 5 words in that sentence each have unique links that lead to different pages of the wiki.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Eramonster.2718 said:Having ascended for raid is a plus, but exotics will be fine to get things done esp nowadays.A note here: if you don't have ascended gear yet, go with power dps build. That's where the difference is the least noticeable.Well no. Power profits twice from ascended gear, first from the extra stats, second from the extra weapon strength, which is a flat 5% buff for power. A condi build barely makes use of weapon strength. With the typical 10-20% contribution of direct damage in a condi build, an ascended weapon adds only 0.5-1% damage.

Archived