Living story is the single worst gaming experience so far in my entire life.

@Raigai.4218 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:When reading title I expected Caudecus fight to be the reason. And OP didn't disappoint.

HoT and LW3 are definitely more complex than the gameplay joke that is core Tyria and personal story. Get used to it as it's for the better that game expects you to be focused more, learn the mechanics and play more actively. Once you understand Caudecus fight it's cakewalk. It may require you to change some utilities, hope it's not too much to ask?

Change utilities? I can just keep dying forever and run back with broken gear until it's over. It's awful design. It's embarrassing. And before anybody here gets cocky, I'm not a bad player. I'm a top player in a known fighting game that is much more complex than this kid's game.

So what? I was great at Streetfighter back in the day and I've always been great at MMOs, too. But put me in an FPS game, give me some time to practice, and I'm still average at best! I don't do well with MOBAs, either. They're just different game types and what makes a great player in one doesn't necessarily translate into the next.

I beat Caedecus the first night that episode was released on my elementalist. It took me one attempt and I went down one time. This was before they nerfed it. Am I the best player that ever lived? Doubtful. What does that tell you?

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@battledrone.8315 said:

@lokh.2695 said:Well, to be fair, I had encounters with the old grumpy man where I ended up half naked and exhausted.

Having said that, since most bosses in story instances don't regain health/reset, even if an encounter is hard or your struggling at any given point you can attrition it out, not the most fancy thing to do, but it works. Then there's also, you know, all the other ppl playing this MMorpg. If you struggle at something, chances are high, others are as well. Team up and you'll be fine.MMOs don't get more casual than GW2 open world. It's casual to the point where you can play for hundreds of hours in the open world w/o knowing what the cc skills of your class are, how to effectively dodge AoEs or what the point of melee weapons is. Open world PvE asks next to nothing from the players which not only prevents players from learning a few tricks about the game but also gives most players a sense of false security/badassnes when they encounter slightly harder content. So when they go into an encounter that is slightly more demanding and fail it can't possibly be because they have missed something about the encounter or failed to use basic in-game mechanics, it's because the game is bad and not casual friendly enough. There is only truth in that statement in the sense that the open world fails to teach ppl about mechanics by not demanding it.

sooo...its not the wrong product, its the wrong customers?

no, this was sold as a casual mmo

more like: the product is flawed in that it doesn't demand more of the players on a regular basis which leads to players to being overwhelmed when the game actually wants them to do something.it is a casual mmo

and if the game demanded more of the players, then it wouldnt be CASUAL, would it?

"Casual" depends on context. When people talk about casuals they are referring to irregular playtime or a less than serious attitude toward the game (which often causes the irregular playtime). This has absolutely nothing to do with the actual difficulty of the game, as a casual can play competitive or difficult game, just look at League of Legends and how it was initially the moba for casuals.

For a game to cater to casuals it can't just be easy, most MMORPGs are already extremely easy, but don't cater to casuals (unless they have a wallet) because at the end of the day casuals don't play for 12 hours a day, nor do they play everyday, and often times take breaks. GW2 is setup in a way where gear you earn is permanent, you aren't grinding 5 months for gear that only has a 6-12 month cycle, there isn't a 90%+ dps and defense difference between mid tier gear and best in slot, etc. Exotics are thrown around and many are basically free off the TP, Ascended sets can be earned in a month and are permanent as well as not being miles better than exotics, and then legendaries are just ascended pieces with "better" visuals and freely swapping stats.

Some of the game's reliable gold making method don't even take effort and can be semi-afked through while others do the work.

@battledrone.8315 said:

@lokh.2695 said:Well, to be fair, I had encounters with the old grumpy man where I ended up half naked and exhausted.

Having said that, since most bosses in story instances don't regain health/reset, even if an encounter is hard or your struggling at any given point you can attrition it out, not the most fancy thing to do, but it works. Then there's also, you know, all the other ppl playing this MMorpg. If you struggle at something, chances are high, others are as well. Team up and you'll be fine.MMOs don't get more casual than GW2 open world. It's casual to the point where you can play for hundreds of hours in the open world w/o knowing what the cc skills of your class are, how to effectively dodge AoEs or what the point of melee weapons is. Open world PvE asks next to nothing from the players which not only prevents players from learning a few tricks about the game but also gives most players a sense of false security/badassnes when they encounter slightly harder content. So when they go into an encounter that is slightly more demanding and fail it can't possibly be because they have missed something about the encounter or failed to use basic in-game mechanics, it's because the game is bad and not casual friendly enough. There is only truth in that statement in the sense that the open world fails to teach ppl about mechanics by not demanding it.

sooo...its not the wrong product, its the wrong customers?

no, this was sold as a casual mmo

more like: the product is flawed in that it doesn't demand more of the players on a regular basis which leads to players to being overwhelmed when the game actually wants them to do something.it is a casual mmo

and if the game demanded more of the players, then it wouldnt be CASUAL, would it?

If the game demanded more in the open world, ppl would learn and thus know more about the game and its mechanics which would make them struggle less. What do you want, press 1 to receive your selection of BiS gear and a Legendary?

no, i want new casual content, that doesnt REQUIRE me to have good gearbut, i know they can make more money with grind content to bolster the CC so...

Exotic works fine. Although gear isn't going to make any difference against the CC spam they resort to these days.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@EpicName.4523 said:I dislike the LW as well and have two problems with it:

1) Most boss fights rely on some gimmick in order to finish them off. It can be quite frustrating before you find what that gimmick is and it isn't always that apparent. To be fair, if those mechanics did not exist the bosses would be just pinjatas you have to dps down. And here is for my second point.

Could you give some examples?

Take the final boss in Bitterfrost story. Champion Ice Beast or something. There you have stand behind some mobs so he charges and kills them. This is a gimmick.

Okay, this one is indeed not well explained. Anything else?

Literally every boss at the end of an episode. They would require what most people would call a "unique mechanic" to defeat them and I call gimmick. Pointed the beast out because it was particularly annoying and badly explained as you said.

I was expecting more from you. What you say is wrong for every case but the ice monster from episode 3.

Episode 1: Out of the Shadows - Jade Armor champ: breakbar + bloodstone nodes with special action. Breakbar is nothing new and bloodstone effect with special action is introduced to players earlier in this episode and even if you forget, whole instance is about teaching you how to use special action for this case.

Episode 2: Rising Flames - the pustule mechanic is introduced during final fight and clearly communicated on the screen when it spawns.

Episode 3: A Crack in the Ice - as we agreed, this boss indeed lacks proper mechanic explanation and is all about trial and error.

Episode 4: The Head of the Snake - Caudecus may feel hard because of small room we fight him in but mechanics of the fight are stupidly easy. Breakbar + burst. The rest is surviving. You can break him using your own skills or throwing bloodstone shards at him. Players should know they deal big breakbar damage since Episode 1 already.

Episode 5: Flashpoint - Balthazar fight is all about repeating same mechanic you are being tought to use in this instance. Taimi also clearly communicates what you need to do.

Episode 6: One Path Ends - just like Flashpoint, Eye of Janthir and it's ability to break golem defenses and anomalies is being presented in whole instance so players should understand this easily. The rest is killing Lazarus and avoiding death.

Sorry, but except for episode 3 all mechanics are explained to players in these episodes. So claiming that game is expecting you to guess mechanics is misinformation. At this point it's on player to stay focused on playing the game and executing the knowledge that is provided to them.

I am sorry man, but you misunderstood. I never claimed the mechanics are not explained, though in some cases they are not. I said that every boss has a gimmick you must use in order to beat him and I prefer not to have those gimmicks because the story is boring and I'd rather have some dummy to dps down and finally move to the next map.If the story and especially the characters in it were somewhat more interesting this might not be the case.

@"Theros.1390" said:I just regret that the title is just SO negative, and the op post so unconstructive.

It would have been great to see more sentences like "How can we improve this : ", and less like "This is a whole tr*sh"

That's because the OP isn't interested in improving it ... he's just frustrated and wants to make the game appeal to the lowest common denominator, single player AFK-fest.

Somewhere along the line ... people forgot how to actually PLAY games and forgot that playing games involves solving problems, not just being the lead actor in a screenshot. Clearly the OP didn't try to solve his problem at all, then dismissed the game for being too hard.

@EpicName.4523 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@EpicName.4523 said:I dislike the LW as well and have two problems with it:

1) Most boss fights rely on some gimmick in order to finish them off. It can be quite frustrating before you find what that gimmick is and it isn't always that apparent. To be fair, if those mechanics did not exist the bosses would be just pinjatas you have to dps down. And here is for my second point.

Could you give some examples?

Take the final boss in Bitterfrost story. Champion Ice Beast or something. There you have stand behind some mobs so he charges and kills them. This is a gimmick.

Okay, this one is indeed not well explained. Anything else?

Literally every boss at the end of an episode. They would require what most people would call a "unique mechanic" to defeat them and I call gimmick. Pointed the beast out because it was particularly annoying and badly explained as you said.

I was expecting more from you. What you say is wrong for every case but the ice monster from episode 3.

Episode 1: Out of the Shadows - Jade Armor champ: breakbar + bloodstone nodes with special action. Breakbar is nothing new and bloodstone effect with special action is introduced to players earlier in this episode and even if you forget, whole instance is about teaching you how to use special action for this case.

Episode 2: Rising Flames - the pustule mechanic is introduced during final fight and clearly communicated on the screen when it spawns.

Episode 3: A Crack in the Ice - as we agreed, this boss indeed lacks proper mechanic explanation and is all about trial and error.

Episode 4: The Head of the Snake - Caudecus may feel hard because of small room we fight him in but mechanics of the fight are stupidly easy. Breakbar + burst. The rest is surviving. You can break him using your own skills or throwing bloodstone shards at him. Players should know they deal big breakbar damage since Episode 1 already.

Episode 5: Flashpoint - Balthazar fight is all about repeating same mechanic you are being tought to use in this instance. Taimi also clearly communicates what you need to do.

Episode 6: One Path Ends - just like Flashpoint, Eye of Janthir and it's ability to break golem defenses and anomalies is being presented in whole instance so players should understand this easily. The rest is killing Lazarus and avoiding death.

Sorry, but except for episode 3 all mechanics are explained to players in these episodes. So claiming that game is expecting you to guess mechanics is misinformation. At this point it's on player to stay focused on playing the game and executing the knowledge that is provided to them.

I am sorry man, but you misunderstood. I never claimed the mechanics are not explained, though in some cases they are not. I said that every boss has a gimmick you must use in order to beat him and I prefer not to have those gimmicks because the story is boring and I'd rather have some dummy to dps down and finally move to the next map.If the story and especially the characters in it were somewhat more interesting this might not be the case.

This is your original post. Highlighted the part that is wrong:

@EpicName.4523 said:1) Most boss fights rely on some gimmick in order to finish them off. It can be quite frustrating before you find what that gimmick is and it isn't always that apparent. To be fair, if those mechanics did not exist the bosses would be just pinjatas you have to dps down. And here is for my second point.

I'm not going to argue gimmick part as this is like your opinion. If you call boss having mechanics a gimmick then I don't know what to say... Zhaitan had no gimmick so it must be your fav boss. But the highlighted part is where you post incorrect information. Apart from episode 3, all the bosses use mechanics that are present in game and at the point of fighting the boss players should recognize what to do. If they don't, it's really a player problem, not the game.

The thing isn’t so much that mechanics are bad per se. it’s that the mechanics tend to be of one variety: invulnerability with a vulnerable phase triggered by the mechanic.

This has the tendency to be repetitive after we’ve gone through the fourth boss with a functionally similar mechanic.

Other mechanic options include:

1) Boss heals if player can’t stop a mechanic2) Boss changes to different damage type/style (not my final form!)3) Boss gains power over time (speed to kill matters)4) Boss tactics change based on the player / players (ranged characters get pulled in or melee get kited).5) Boss becomes stronger with each each kill6) Boss corrupts the boons of players7) Boss has reflect phases which absorb damage from players and reflect it back.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:I'm not going to argue gimmick part as this is like your opinion. If you call boss having mechanics a gimmick then I don't know what to say... Zhaitan had no gimmick so it must be your fav boss. But the highlighted part is where you post incorrect information. Apart from episode 3, all the bosses use mechanics that are present in game and at the point of fighting the boss players should recognize what to do. If they don't, it's really a player problem, not the game.

Ok, I made poor choice of words. Let me put it this way:

Most bosses in the living world seasons require some unique mechanic (gimmick) in order to be beaten. For example, in LWS 3 episode 1 that is the "Counter Magic" mastery. It is the one mechanic you must use in order to defeat the boss and is something introduced specifically for the boss/es in that area. Therefore the name "gimmick." If you don't have the gimmick you will likely be unable to defeat the enemy it is designed to be used on. Sure, this particular ability can be occasionally used elsewhere, but you never have to rely on it.

I kinda start to dislike the word "gimmick", honestly. Been using it too often it seems.

Me, being the filthy casual I am, do not like having such one time wonders which you must rely heavily on and then hardly, if ever, use. As I claimed earlier, I am not fan of the writing and having to learn new stuff which later become kind of useless makes me unhappy. I'd rather have a straight fight with more traditional mechanics which we see in regular fights, rather than this.

Also, let us assume that the Champion Ice Beast is the only boss where you are not being clearly told how it should be defeated. One such fight is enough to prove my point that sometimes what you should do is not apparent. Additionally, making the boss kill the mobs for you is another mechanic unique to this boss. (Might be wrong because I don't do raids) Therefore this unique mechanic is again a gimmick.

Played 40 minutes of the very first episode of LS1. Never ever even tried another LS. Its so bad, i don't understand why are they even releasing these??? It brings nothing to the table. Its short, forgettable, cringy voice acting/dialogue and the new zones bring nothing else but auto attacking zerg fest, that is unrewarding, not challenging... a waste of time as a whole. Instead of this crap, it would've been so much better if they added new difficult dungeons that cannot be completed in 5 minutes while you're facrolling on your keyboard.

Too bad this game is 130% focused on casuals instead of actual gamers...............

@Nuka Cola.8520 said:Played 40 minutes of the very first episode of LS1. Never ever even tried another LS. Its so bad, i don't understand why are they even releasing these??? It brings nothing to the table. Its short, forgettable, cringy voice acting/dialogue and the new zones bring nothing else but auto attacking zerg fest, that is unrewarding, not challenging... a waste of time as a whole. Instead of this crap, it would've been so much better if they added new difficult dungeons that cannot be completed in 5 minutes while you're facrolling on your keyboard.

Too bad this game is 130% focused on casuals instead of actual gamers...............

Wait... LS1? Firstly, thats not accessible content anymore. Secondly, LS3 and 4 have major improvements over 1 and 2.

@Nuka Cola.8520 said:Played 40 minutes of the very first episode of LS1. Never ever even tried another LS. Its so bad, i don't understand why are they even releasing these??? It brings nothing to the table. Its short, forgettable, cringy voice acting/dialogue and the new zones bring nothing else but auto attacking zerg fest, that is unrewarding, not challenging... a waste of time as a whole. Instead of this crap, it would've been so much better if they added new difficult dungeons that cannot be completed in 5 minutes while you're facrolling on your keyboard.

Can I have your stuff?

I am curious as to the extent of your knowledge of the new maps. Did you teleport to friend to try them out?

@Plautze.6290 said:Or OP might just ask in map chat if someone is willing to assist in fighting Caudecus? I hear living story instances don't get scaled up...?I clearly remember leaving Caudecus' mansion naked with only my half-eaten helmet on, so no hard feelings, OP ;)

Sounds like me during HoT ch Prized Possessions. Using leap to get away from corrupted Faolain was awful the first time I went through the instance. Was rather bashful rezzing from the instance in nothing but my bra and granny panties whilst wielding my sword and axe. :3

I can say that some of the instances haven't been quite as painful as that for me; I have yet to get through LW4 Ep 2 simply because the Scruffy fight at the end of LW4 Ep 1 just annoyed the snot out of me completely as it wasn't a challenge, it was just far too long and repetitive.

I have found, the final confrontations in PoF and in LW3-4 to be more repetitive and far too long when compared to those in HoT. In LW2 and in HoT I felt like I was battling for a reason as they were difficult fights with multiple mechanics and phases so I was always pushing to the next phase. As LW3 unfolded, then PoF and now LW4, it appeared as though the devs have resorted to making fights less evolutionary to plain repetitive and boring. I really found the last fight in PoF a bit of a sham compared to HoT but I understand the likely went easier on us given the backlash from the community over HoT in general.

Granted, some of it could be my own evolution as a much better player since HoT. Either way, the over-use of crowd controls (knockbacks), condis and the lack of evolutionary fights (those that phase to different mechanics) has really just made me avoid the latest LW episode all together.

@Cerioth.7062 said:

@"Nuka Cola.8520" said:Played 40 minutes of the very first episode of LS1. Never ever even tried another LS. Its so bad, i don't understand why are they even releasing these??? It brings nothing to the table. Its short, forgettable, cringy voice acting/dialogue and the new zones bring nothing else but auto attacking zerg fest, that is unrewarding, not challenging... a waste of time as a whole. Instead of this crap, it would've been so much better if they added new difficult dungeons that cannot be completed in 5 minutes while you're facrolling on your keyboard.

Wait... LS1? Firstly, thats not accessible content anymore. Secondly, LS3 and 4 have major improvements over 1 and 2.

It has nothing to do with being accessible or not. That's what i played and hated. You say that they've improved... i saw streams of your "improvement", its piss poor at best.

@TheOrlyFactor.8341 said:

Can I have your stuff?

Not yet, you gotta wait a bit.

@Ashen.2907 said:

I am curious as to the extent of your knowledge of the new maps. Did you teleport to friend to try them out?

Which one? The very last map that was introduced with the latest LS, i haven't even been there because i know exactly what to expect, nothing. Been in all other maps. Some are meta event zerg fests, others are empty cuz they didn't even bother including any zerg fest events. It doesn't matter, tho because no matter what, no matter how big those maps are (the selling poit of the latest expansion), they're barebones.

The main story of the game needs to be story mode, "not dungeon, fractal or jumping puzzle mode" dressing up as story mode.

I can easily avoid any other content, but placing this type stuff in STORY MODE really inhibits me from moving through the game in the RPG sense of the term.

Story mode, story telling methods and deficiencies aside, have become tedious and aggravating. Meaning, NOT FUN for players who prefer to play a role-playing game, not an arcade game.

Open world difficulty should be sensibly INCREASED because:

• it's a multi-player environment
  • stuff the player can't solo can be more readily avoided
  • it would encourage more players to team up/build community

Solo/personal story should advance the story, there are more than enough game modes for players who like dodging red circles all over the floor and tedious, repetitive fight mechanics.

Tedious. Most glitches I have seen have been in instances. No save, just start again!!! Ahhh

Heh But, a couple weeks ago I slapped down $75 for the 2 expansions and some gems and came back. Probably have a 100 hours in this return so far.

Cheap entertainment. Developer bashing cheaper than a shirk! Win, Win!

This... is one of those issues that has no real solution.

The thing with the personal story is that the game is nearing six years old. With a game of this age, the developers have to develop content assuming that players have figured out how to play the game. Players should recognize conventions in design, know how to CC, know how to burst, and know how to make competent solo builds. Most players do, so in order to keep players interested the game is designed around this. If Anet doesn't, then players would get bored and leave.

If it is too hard for you, then maybe you're just bad at the game.

@Endless Soul.5178 said:Was I the only one to leave that Caudecus fight fully clothed? Yes, it was a bit difficult, but somehow my old, fumbly fingers managed to handle it.

~shrugs~

I remember when I first fought him on my Daredevil and for all intents and purposes, it should have been an easy fight but I kept getting knocked around and wittled down, I just kept getting downed until I paid more attention to patterns. Going back into the fight but with a Deadeye instead, the fight should have been so much harder but it was actually easier to control as my DE build has more stealth than my DD.

Fighting all those White Mantle missions with my Soulbeast, Spellbreaker, Guardian and Firebrand, once you now what the enemy will throw at you, you can swap skills to counter them. Some professions are easier than others but it's only difficult if you're being stubborn.

My advice to those players that are fed up, take a break. GW2 will still be here when you get back. It's not as bad as you think it is lol

@Imperadordf.2687 said:

@Imperadordf.2687 said:"Oh look, something that is slightly harder than open world, let me complain about it with godly over-exaggeration."

how many would buy a casual mmo for HARDCORE STORY CONTENT? lol

You think GW2 is hardcore? lol

Living story requires you to press something else than your autoattack button.

lets recap: LS can be unlocked for free...if it was that good and easy, shouldnt there be MILLIONS of players in there ?the fact is, it is neither easy, nor good...its just FREE

It brings nothing to the table. Its short, forgettable, cringy voice acting/dialogue and the new zones bring nothing else but auto attacking zerg fest, that is unrewarding, not challenging.

I would also enjoy it if they increase the difficulty. But that's never gonna happend. The new maps are getting in line with the standart open world difficulty. But there are plenty things to do and to get from them. I'm not the greatest fan of collections but there a good bunch of nice or usefull things to collect. Storytelling.... yeah this depends of your own taste if it suits you or not. For hard content fractals or raids will be the things to do.

Archived