Why block mounts in JPs?

What's the point in buying the PoF (Ultimate in pre-order in my case), completing the story-line for PoF, earning 250 gold in game and doing the quest for the griffon only to be blocked from using mounts at JPs that we have done over and over and over and over? Blocking them the first time a player has done non-PoF JPs I can understand but after that remove the block. It's not like they are that rewarding. I might understand it if JP chests dropped mystic coins.

If grabbing loot at jps is your only reason to buy the expansion and get the griffon, then you might have made a bad move in getting it in the first place. Going through all that just for a chance at loot that you dont even see as rewarding seems a bit over the top from my point of view ;) .

Personally, PoF in general and the mounts in particular have given me a lot of enjoyment so far. Cheating jumping puzzles just for a quick grab at the end chest is not among the things I use them for though, as I see no point in it. Why should doing it once (or even several times) give you the right to get the jp loot without doing the jp (unless you're willing to "pay" by parking a character at the chest, or a friendly mesmer invites you to the loot after finishing the jp themselves)? In the same line of thinking, I'd like to use my griffon to fly past those pesky world bosses that annoy me most of the time, to just grab the end chest without having to deal with the events, but I can easily see why that won't happen.

You miss the point; this is a commentary on mount blocks. I just used JP to highlight it. It's just annoying to encounter mount blocks in random areas. Hoelbrak has a big mount/gliding block @ the Wayfarer Foothills gate for no reason. There isn't even a JP there.

Most of us can easily bound up JPs with ease without mounts because we have done them many many many times. If they are going to block mounts at JPs then why not block mesmer portals also? That's an even bigger shortcut. The JP in Dry Top lets you use the jumping crystals; how is that different from the springer? Jumping crystals are faster. I would love the challange to try to tackle some of them with a springer. Especially the one in Ember Bay from inside the volcano hitting the check points.

Even if some jumping puzzles are a bit trivial, there are also some that are very challenging, and mounts would make those jumping puzzles much easier. I personally think it's good that mounts are blocked at most JP's, because it keeps the challenge where it is relevant. Imagine going to the chaos crystal cavern JP, and instead of going through the entire route as intended, you just ran to the end and hopped up with a springer. It would't be challenging, it would be rather pointless.

Yes, I do agree that portals also trivialize many JP's (though there are some JP's where portals are far less effective), but I think the reason they kept those is because it promotes cooperation in the community. Perhaps ANet sees more value in players helping each other than they do in players simply overcoming challenges alone with an automatic "I win" button. That being said, even when there's a daily JP, I typically ignore mesmer portals and do the JP myself, because I do enjoy them and the daily gives me an incentive to do them properly every now and then (and, in the past, players did actually ask for ANet to implement rewards to incentivize doing JP's more than once).

If, however, you specifically enjoy the idea of doing JP's with mounts for the challenge of it, then the best thing would be that more jumping puzzles are added to new maps that are designed from the ground up with mounts in mind and that require mounts to complete.

Do you really believe the mount block on JP diminishes your game experience enough to negate everything you got out of playing pof and obtaining a griffin? The griffin which I consider to be one of the greatest investments in the game, and most games.

Unless I am missing something jp are primarily useless and just there for achievement, and you aren't really achieving anything if you flew your way to the top. So the integrity of these post seems quite questionable.

Idk.. new specializations alone is already an reason for me to buy an expansion. And there are 10 billion other things that makes an expansion great. So unless you cant afford it or you're some kind of gw(2)/arenanet hater... I don't see why one wouldn't buy it

theres tons of things in the game that i don't see the point of... e.g. repeatable hearts... i really wish hearts were like the core maps... do once and never have to do again....things you can't sell... and then you have to type the name to delete... what is the point of this???

@kharmin.7683 said:

@"Deathanizer.3716" said:Get Taco, it magically transforms horrible game design into enjoyable content.

And also saves you money by getting you banned so you don't spend anymore money to ANet!

They won't ban for TACO

Have you read the "OMG Why am I banned?" plethora of forum posts? The people there say "I don't use anything but TACO why I'm banned???"

So are you sure they don't ban for TACO? Or...are people lying?

I think JP should admit the use of mounts the same way they admit the use of mesmer portals.The reward should change, though: normal and small if you use portals or mounts, much better if you do the JP the hard way.IMO this would keep the JPs fun, interesting and fair for everyone.

@Tekoneiric.6817 said:You miss the point; this is a commentary on mount blocks. I just used JP to highlight it. It's just annoying to encounter mount blocks in random areas. Hoelbrak has a big mount/gliding block @ the Wayfarer Foothills gate for no reason. There isn't even a JP there.

The blocks aren't for "no reason." In Hoelbrak, people were using mounts to void jump, which ANet has an interest in preventing (even though some people enjoy breaking out of maps). It's somewhat arbitrary that they've decided to allow gliding and/or jumping for some JP, but not others, but that doesn't mean that there isn't a valid case-by-case reason for each.

I understand your frustration: I hate invisible walls, which are used in much the same way (to prevent void jumping or other sorts of semi-exploits that can break the game). At the same time, I understand the necessity of using a quick-and-dirty approach to limiting potential issues, rather than devote the art department's limited resources to redesigning maps so this isn't necessary.

@Martimus.6027 said:

@"Deathanizer.3716" said:Get Taco, it magically transforms horrible game design into enjoyable content.

And also saves you money by getting you banned so you don't spend anymore money to ANet!

They won't ban for TACO

Have you read the "OMG Why am I banned?" plethora of forum posts? The people there say "I don't use anything but TACO why I'm banned???"

There are a lot of people in my guild who use both taco and arcdps, nobody got banned.

Are people lying?

Yes.

Ahem. Gaile gave us a list of programs that were not acceptable. TacO is not on it.

Lying? Well . . . given how that thread turned since you last read it? All evidence points to yes, but that's a topic for that thread.

Feel free to discuss it there.

As far as this topic, it's needed because mounts can very much trivialize daily jumping puzzle challenges and have until recently corrected.

There's your answer.

@"Martimus.6027" said:Have you read the "OMG Why am I banned?" plethora of forum posts? The people there say "I don't use anything but TACO why I'm banned???"

People thought arc/taco was the cause because that's the only software they had that was directly involved with GW2, and using it has always been at your own risk. They never expected to banned just for having something else that had nothing to do with GW2. The recent ban wave was targeting specific programs, regardless of how they were being used, which ultimately means some people were truly banned for no reason.

It's safe to assume that they'll never ban for taco specifically, since it's only using the data ArenaNet publicly provides, so they can stop it whenever they want to.

Archived