Longbow is NOT 1500 Range

CantoGuy.6459

@Turk.5460 said:

@"Whiteout.1975" said:
Literally nothing of importance

You're arguing semantics when my message was clearly not meant to be taken as a direct quote from anyone in particular. You obviously have nothing more to contribute to this conversation, not that you really contributed anything in the first place. Your immature and irrelevant "rebuttal" shows that you have already lost an argument that never even happened. Sit down.

You're absolutely right it was immature. I took it direct, because you basically took parts of what I said and turned it into something totally opposite/inaccurate. As there is no one else you can relate that statement (you gave) to in that whole conversation... being that their are 3 people in that conversation before you quoted it. If it's somehow a misunderstanding, then it's just whatever.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cut back the range back to what it says on the toolbar and determine whether the attack hits at the time the attack is launched, not when it visually connects. That might make for some clunky visuals and people whining about being being shot even though they were behind a wall, or something -- but I suspect the reason projectiles travel slightly further than the toolbar suggests has something to do with the time the projectile remains in transit. (Is out of range determined when the shot is fired, or when it connects?)Alternatively, cut the range back to what it says on the toolbar and give a MASSIVE boost to projectile velocity (I'm talking like +200%) on all affected projectiles. (Read: Not attack speed, projectile velocity.)

That said, I feel some people are making a mountain out of a molehill. You're not (at least, consistently) being shot by rangers 2,100 range away. Unless sentries mark at 2k? if so I'll eat my words.

~ Kovu

edit- Oh, and deal with the damned obstructed terrain & close range bugs. In this case my longbow is making mountains out of molehills anthills.

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

@"CantoGuy.6459" said:I don't care if it's not viable in zergs this auto attacking/rapid firing kitten is at least 1800 range and is just about the most annoying and most heavily abused weapon in the game! Please remove that 300 range buffer on this overused weapon

Some of you have not been paying attention to the fact that these arcing arrows have been traveling farther since beta and launch...

Comment from 2014...

“Muscly_Geek• Mar 24, 2014, 2:21 PMYou prompted me to take a closer look. I can't find the Dev post that explained it, but essentially all arcing projectiles have a longer valid range than listed, in the sense that the projectile will hit instead of an Out Of Range error.

The projectile actually travels father than 1500 even if you're standing at 1500, due to the arc. If the projectile was only valid for 1500 (or with a slight increase to account for the arc when your target is at the same altitude), there would be instances where a target within range would nonetheless result in an Out Of Range error.

It's not so much a bug (as in an unintended error in the code), as a deliberate mechanic to accommodate the physics of the projectile, which results in a beneficial effect. It's been around since Beta, people are very aware of it, and ANet has given no indication that they intend to change it.”

Lol still can’t back anything up with Dev posts, that quote literally doesn’t prove anything that it is intended, so trying to claim a random nobody on the Internet is proof that it’s intended interaction.

Again there have been a lot of unintended interactions that were in game since beta that Anet has been Just now getting to fixing, so trying to use that as proof of it being intended is also a complete fallacy, so please provide a Dev comment that it’s intended, I will wait for that one, again 1200 and 1500 are the max ranges listed not some other further range.To Me... It just seems like it would be such a major unintended action that has gone on for so long (years)... That I think if they wanted to make the longbow shoot like other weapons, the ones that don't seem to arc, to simplify things... well common sense tells me that they would have done so.

Common sense says 1500 = 1500 and 1200=1200I get it. I think we all do. I mean you write this like in every reply so far... but it's not as simple as that. That's just taking something at
face value
though. If It were common sense then the wiki would not have bothered listing "
can actually hit targets outside of the maximum range
", People would not be making video's trying to prove otherwise (which actually support the wiki in the part of the statement listed before) and ultimately people would not be going back and forth over this... if it were common sense. That being said, there is more to it than just numbers. If they added a better in game description... well that's another story and I believe it wouldn't hurt to look into.

But I understand certain people need every advantage they can get.So speaking for myself... none of my characters use a longbow at this time. That being said, this whole thing doesn't affect me presently =)... also I don't think we even wanna begin talking about what classes have what advantages... This isn't a one way street just FYI lol.

I’m just waiting for an actual Dev to make a statement to see if it’s intended or not.

Yea I can't wait anymore ether than you feel the need to rewrite this statement multiple times lol.

This is from an earlier reply...

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:Just sounds like players are scared to lose the advantage of a big since as of yet no one can provide a statement from Anet saying that the overperforming Range is intended, must feel sad to have to rely on a bug sod badly.

So here you project the range advantage to be a "
bug
" as if it were a matter of fact. In which case, you just answered your own question on whether or not it's intentional. As "bugs" are something unintentional. Other than that, I'm curious where and what Dev you got the information from saying that this is a bug :o

Again the Wiki is maintained by players and lists thing that players find the skills to do again they have been removing interactions skills were doing since beta recently guess what the Wiki Stated those skills did those interactions, oh no with your logic they were totally intended interactions..

That's not what I said at all lol... I said all the video's and so forth... just prove that part of the statement that was given on the wiki... that is my logic there. That being said I never said it was intended ether... I said I have a hard time believing it is unintended as like I pointed out before... "if they wanted to make the longbow shoot like other weapons, the ones that don't seem to arc, to simplify things... well common sense tells me that they would have done so."

Besides you already answered your own question about it being a bug... so I'm curious where and what dev you got that information from so that I may see as well.

Nice contradiction you got here, what’s the opposite Of unintended?

That being said I never said it was intended ether... I said I have a hard time believing it is unintended as like I pointed out before

So the issue I have is you have multiple skills some say 1200 some say 1500 they go beyond the maximum range while you have others that don’t. And we have the Dev Tyler Chapman who worked with the PvP and Balance teams stating all skills Melee and Ranged are supposed to have a 15% range buffer which is clearly missing from a lot of skills, so either the bug is those skills are lacking the buffer don’t have the buffer for all those arcing projectiles are intended because no one has yet to a post the Fabled Dev statement that they claim states Arcing Projectiles having extended range over other projectiles.

All I’m looking for is Dev answering if it’s intended that certain projectiles go much further than others even though they have the same max range listed or if it’s the other Projectiles missing their range buffer.

again commonsense says 1500 equals 1500 not 1500 is greater than 1500 so both 1500 should be treated the same and commonsense says a 1200 is a lot shorter than 1500 but with certain projectiles that is clearly not the case so again that’s all I’m looking for clarification .

Tyler Chapman’s quote:

“Intended. All ranged and melee skills have a 15% buffer range to take account for tracking.”

See how that says all and not some or a few?

Please stop beating the dead horse that is some supposed quote from some dev that doesn't even work at Anet anymore. If you can't link to the quote, then it's just hearsay at best and likely taken out of context.

It's more of an argument than "The text that states 1500 is intended to not actually be 1500 and instead much further, because it's been this way for x amount of time." - which is the only other thing being spewed out of this thread.

It isn’t because it’s been that way x amount of time, it is because the designers(not some random dev) have stated this is how the mechanics of those skills work.

Testing should show all arcing projectiles currently work in this manner, unless you think it is coo incidence they just missed on all of these skills.

The game used to be on a two week release cadence with living world updates, build verification tests were constantly being run and the skills tested.

If anything was off with the tooltips or functionality it was sent to a designer as a bug. If it wasn’t fixed it was either A. Super low priority or B. Working as intended.

Something like this where the range is much longer than the tooltip would be considered a pretty high priority. In this case it is intended so it’s never been “fixed.”

Please show the Dev statement to support your claim that it’s intended, I’ll wait, but we already know the outcome.

Again just because it has been in game for a long time doesn’t mean it is intended as shown with vey recent patches/bugfixes.

So far we have a Dev post stating all skills are supposed to have a buffer that is clearly missing on certain weapons/skills, and no Dev statement stating only Arcing Projectiles are supposed to have that buffer, go figure.

Thank you for the screenshot. I now know you're referencing this post as your statement from a dev: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/List-of-Mesmer-Bugs-Older-Thread/page/3#post3750901

You're expecting a statement made about the game four years ago to still be true of the game today. This is an absurd expectation of any MMO, particuarly one that's had two expansions since then.

It's worth noting too that the post in question is in a mesmer bug thread. Nowhere in that statement does Tyler Chapman say that he's referring to all the skills in the game. How do we know he wasn't talking solely about mesmer range and melee skills?

@Shadowcat.2680 said:

@"CantoGuy.6459" said:I don't care if it's not viable in zergs this auto attacking/rapid firing kitten is at least 1800 range and is just about the most annoying and most heavily abused weapon in the game! Please remove that 300 range buffer on this overused weapon

Some of you have not been paying attention to the fact that these arcing arrows have been traveling farther since beta and launch...

Comment from 2014...

“Muscly_Geek• Mar 24, 2014, 2:21 PMYou prompted me to take a closer look. I can't find the Dev post that explained it, but essentially all arcing projectiles have a longer valid range than listed, in the sense that the projectile will hit instead of an Out Of Range error.

The projectile actually travels father than 1500 even if you're standing at 1500, due to the arc. If the projectile was only valid for 1500 (or with a slight increase to account for the arc when your target is at the same altitude), there would be instances where a target within range would nonetheless result in an Out Of Range error.

It's not so much a bug (as in an unintended error in the code), as a deliberate mechanic to accommodate the physics of the projectile, which results in a beneficial effect. It's been around since Beta, people are very aware of it, and ANet has given no indication that they intend to change it.”

Lol still can’t back anything up with Dev posts, that quote literally doesn’t prove anything that it is intended, so trying to claim a random nobody on the Internet is proof that it’s intended interaction.

Again there have been a lot of unintended interactions that were in game since beta that Anet has been Just now getting to fixing, so trying to use that as proof of it being intended is also a complete fallacy, so please provide a Dev comment that it’s intended, I will wait for that one, again 1200 and 1500 are the max ranges listed not some other further range.To Me... It just seems like it would be such a major unintended action that has gone on for so long (years)... That I think if they wanted to make the longbow shoot like other weapons, the ones that don't seem to arc, to simplify things... well common sense tells me that they would have done so.

Common sense says 1500 = 1500 and 1200=1200I get it. I think we all do. I mean you write this like in every reply so far... but it's not as simple as that. That's just taking something at
face value
", People would not be making video's trying to prove otherwise (which actually support the wiki in the part of the statement listed before) and ultimately people would not be going back and forth over this... if it were common sense. That being said, there is more to it than just numbers. If they added a better in game description... well that's another story and I believe it wouldn't hurt to look into.

But I understand certain people need every advantage they can get.So speaking for myself... none of my characters use a longbow at this time. That being said, this whole thing doesn't affect me presently =)... also I don't think we even wanna begin talking about what classes have what advantages... This isn't a one way street just FYI lol.

I’m just waiting for an actual Dev to make a statement to see if it’s intended or not.

Yea I can't wait anymore ether than you feel the need to rewrite this statement multiple times lol.

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:Just sounds like players are scared to lose the advantage of a big since as of yet no one can provide a statement from Anet saying that the overperforming Range is intended, must feel sad to have to rely on a bug sod badly.

bug
" as if it were a matter of fact. In which case, you just answered your own question on whether or not it's intentional. As "bugs" are something unintentional. Other than that, I'm curious where and what Dev you got the information from saying that this is a bug :o

Again the Wiki is maintained by players and lists thing that players find the skills to do again they have been removing interactions skills were doing since beta recently guess what the Wiki Stated those skills did those interactions, oh no with your logic they were totally intended interactions..

That's not what I said at all lol... I said all the video's and so forth... just prove that part of the statement that was given on the wiki... that is my logic there. That being said I never said it was intended ether... I said I have a hard time believing it is unintended as like I pointed out before... "if they wanted to make the longbow shoot like other weapons, the ones that don't seem to arc, to simplify things... well common sense tells me that they would have done so."

Besides you already answered your own question about it being a bug... so I'm curious where and what dev you got that information from so that I may see as well.

That being said I never said it was intended ether... I said I have a hard time believing it is unintended as like I pointed out before

So the issue I have is you have multiple skills some say 1200 some say 1500 they go beyond the maximum range while you have others that don’t. And we have the Dev Tyler Chapman who worked with the PvP and Balance teams stating all skills Melee and Ranged are supposed to have a 15% range buffer which is clearly missing from a lot of skills, so either the bug is those skills are lacking the buffer don’t have the buffer for all those arcing projectiles are intended because no one has yet to a post the Fabled Dev statement that they claim states Arcing Projectiles having extended range over other projectiles.

All I’m looking for is Dev answering if it’s intended that certain projectiles go much further than others even though they have the same max range listed or if it’s the other Projectiles missing their range buffer.

again commonsense says 1500 equals 1500 not 1500 is greater than 1500 so both 1500 should be treated the same and commonsense says a 1200 is a lot shorter than 1500 but with certain projectiles that is clearly not the case so again that’s all I’m looking for clarification .

Tyler Chapman’s quote:

“Intended. All ranged and melee skills have a 15% buffer range to take account for tracking.”

Please stop beating the dead horse that is some supposed quote from some dev that doesn't even work at Anet anymore. If you can't link to the quote, then it's just hearsay at best and likely taken out of context.

It's more of an argument than "The text that states 1500 is intended to not actually be 1500 and instead much further, because it's been this way for x amount of time." - which is the only other thing being spewed out of this thread.

It isn’t because it’s been that way x amount of time, it is because the designers(not some random dev) have stated this is how the mechanics of those skills work.

Testing should show all arcing projectiles currently work in this manner, unless you think it is coo incidence they just missed on all of these skills.

The game used to be on a two week release cadence with living world updates, build verification tests were constantly being run and the skills tested.

If anything was off with the tooltips or functionality it was sent to a designer as a bug. If it wasn’t fixed it was either A. Super low priority or B. Working as intended.

Something like this where the range is much longer than the tooltip would be considered a pretty high priority. In this case it is intended so it’s never been “fixed.”

Please show the Dev statement to support your claim that it’s intended, I’ll wait, but we already know the outcome.

Again just because it has been in game for a long time doesn’t mean it is intended as shown with vey recent patches/bugfixes.

So far we have a Dev post stating all skills are supposed to have a buffer that is clearly missing on certain weapons/skills, and no Dev statement stating only Arcing Projectiles are supposed to have that buffer, go figure.

Thank you for the screenshot. I now know you're referencing this post as your statement from a dev:

You're expecting a statement made about the game four years ago to still be true of the game today. This is an absurd expectation of any MMO, particuarly one that's had two expansions since then.

Not really since it talks of basic gameplay functionality, but hey show me a contradicting Dev statement that it’s supposed to function any differently, I will wait, but we already know where this is gonna go.

Gotta back up your claims.

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

Comment from 2014...

face value

bug

Tyler Chapman’s quote:

Thank you for the screenshot. I now know you're referencing this post as your statement from a dev:

Not really since it talks of basic gameplay functionality, but hey show me a contradicting Dev statement that it’s supposed to function any differently, I will wait, but we already know where this is gonna go.

The post in question from Tyler Chapman is about the range of Phantasmal Mage. In a mesmer bug thread. You cannot take his statement and apply it forward four years to other professions and other skills.

@Shadowcat.2680 said:

Comment from 2014...

face value

bug

Tyler Chapman’s quote:

The post in question from Tyler Chapman is about the range of Phantasmal Mage. In a mesmer bug thread. You cannot take his statement and apply it forward four years to other professions and other skills.

Go read down the list oh what’s 21 state oh intended global range Buffer oh right that wasn’t in regards to phantasmagoric Mage, and oh yeah that pesky term all Melee and Ranged skills, oh does it state a specific skill? Oh no it doesn’t, it says all, howstrange.

.#rc

Still waiting on the Dev post stating only Arcing Projectiles are supposed to have an extended range.

@"Kovu.7560" said:Cut back the range back to what it says on the toolbar and determine whether the attack hits at the time the attack is launched, not when it visually connects. That might make for some clunky visuals and people whining about being being shot even though they were behind a wall, or something -- but I suspect the reason projectiles travel slightly further than the toolbar suggests has something to do with the time the projectile remains in transit. (Is out of range determined when the shot is fired, or when it connects?)Alternatively, cut the range back to what it says on the toolbar and give a MASSIVE boost to projectile velocity (I'm talking like +200%) on all affected projectiles. (Read: Not attack speed, projectile velocity.)

That said, I feel some people are making a mountain out of a molehill. You're not (at least, consistently) being shot by rangers 2,100 range away. Unless sentries mark at 2k? if so I'll eat my words.

~ Kovu

edit- Oh, and deal with the damned obstructed terrain & close range bugs. In this case my longbow is making mountains out of molehills anthills.

So, in the second clip in that video there.. what exactly is one supposed to do when a full glass ranger starts the pewpew from ~1500+ range?

My first instinct is to block .. except I can't rely on this any more because the attacks are unblockable and go right through. By the time I realize it's unblockable, I've taken 1-2 hits and wasted a defensive cooldown.

My next instinct is to run away (eg. Rocket Boots).. except that doesn't work because I'll take ~3-5 rapid fire hits in the back mid-travel and die, since the projectiles keep hitting well outside 1500 range.

Alternatively, I could turn and fight. I'd like to do this, but I'm being pew pewed from 1.5x my maximum weapon range and by the time I close that gap, I'll be dead.

Now, I grant you that this is FAR from the biggest problem in WvW, and if they never fix it, the world will not end. It's not a problem for builds with teleports + hard invulns, or stealth, or auto-proc invuln passives, etc etc, but you counter cheese with cheese, so .. It just feels pretty lame to be on the receiving end of this. WTB counterplay that isn't cheese.

@Cogbyrn.7283 said:

@Aeolus.3615 said:@Cogbyrn.7283, rangers vs scourge is more "on paper story" than actually work in practive,it will work on practice
IF
other side has very few scourges and not even a hand of Fb's, wich m8 also mean a smaller group than the ones the ranger are.

I'll believe that currently, Rangers vs. Scourge is simple theorycrafting, but that also means that the counter-argument against it is simple theorycrafting as well. The problem with testing it is that you have to find people who might actually enjoy/want to play LB Ranger.

I do, and the sole purpose for me playing the LB ranger is to make Scourges, Thieves, and Mesmer's lives miserable. I really won't target any other class unless any of those 3 aren't available to attack. Scourges have no counter to LB rangers, it's quite unfair actually. The only way a Scourge gets me is if I'm Alt+Tab'd out doing something else.

Even tanky thieves & mesmers get torn apart by LB Rangers now, I'm surprised more people don't play them. I basically chalk it up to the old-school thinking of players in they believe LB rangers are useless and provide nothing to the group. On the contrary, they directly counter the very class that makes all the meta-classes miserable.

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

Comment from 2014...

face value

bug

Tyler Chapman’s quote:

Go read down the list oh what’s 21 state oh intended global range Buffer oh right that wasn’t in regards to phantasmagoric Mage, and oh yeah that pesky term all Melee and Ranged skills, oh does it state a specific skill? Oh no it doesn’t, it says all, howstrange.

.#rc

Still waiting on the Dev post stating only Arcing Projectiles are supposed to have an extended range.

21 is in reference to Spatial Surge, the mesmer greatsword autoattack. So yes, it does indeed refer to a specific skill. Tyler Chapman's post is a response to the initial posts of that thread, the listing of mesmer bugs. Everything in his post is about mesmer skills circa 2014. You cannot take his statements and apply them to skills that didn't even exist at the time, such as the range of deadeye rifle.

I'm not going to hunt through old forums for a dev statement I can use out of context. A current dev commenting on projectile range would be more than welcome, but until a dev comments there simply is no dev statement in existence about this issue.

@Shadowcat.2680 said:

Comment from 2014...

face value

bug

Tyler Chapman’s quote:

.#rc

21 is in reference to Spatial Surge, the mesmer greatsword autoattack. So yes, it does indeed refer to a specific skill. Tyler Chapman's post is a response to the initial posts of that thread, the listing of mesmer bugs. Everything in his post is about mesmer skills circa 2014. You cannot take his statements and apply them to skills that didn't even exist at the time, such as the range of deadeye rifle.

I'm not going to hunt through old forums for a dev statement I can use out of context. A current dev commenting on projectile range would be more than welcome, but until a dev comments there simply is no dev statement in existence about this issue.

Oh really what part between All Melee and Ranged skills have a 15% Range Buffer and Global Range Buffer denotes a specific skill? Oh right they don’t?

.#rc

@Dralor.3701 said:

@Dralor.3701 said:Told you he didn’t know what he was talking about. I doubt anyone will comment on the thread at this point.

Still nothing to back that up with?

This is why I don’t see anyone responding to the thread. You don’t seem to have a genuine desire for resolution, you just want to argue.

No, you just keep making claims with absolutely nothing to back them up, just saying, and again I have asked the Devs multiple times on multiple occasions on threads with zero arguments, but hey facts a hard I know.

So please if oh make such blatant claims at least attempt to back them up, I want a resolution to this because a Dev goes on record stating all skills have are intended to have a range Buffer but is lacking on certain weapon sets, and here you are saying they are wrong with nothing to back it up, sorry but a Dev post is more credible.

@coro.3176 said:

@"Kovu.7560" said:Cut back the range back to what it says on the toolbar and determine whether the attack hits at the time the attack is launched, not when it visually connects. That might make for some clunky visuals and people whining about being being shot even though they were behind a wall, or something -- but I suspect the reason projectiles travel slightly further than the toolbar suggests has something to do with the time the projectile remains in transit. (Is
out of range
determined when the shot is fired, or when it connects?)Alternatively, cut the range back to what it says on the toolbar and give a MASSIVE boost to projectile velocity (I'm talking like +200%) on all affected projectiles. (Read: Not attack speed, projectile velocity.)

~ Kovu

edit- Oh, and deal with the damned obstructed terrain & close range bugs. In this case my longbow is making mountains out of
molehills
anthills.

So, in the second clip in that video there.. what exactly is one supposed to do when a full glass ranger starts the pewpew from ~1500+ range?

My first instinct is to block .. except I can't rely on this any more because the attacks are unblockable and go right through. By the time I realize it's unblockable, I've taken 1-2 hits and wasted a defensive cooldown.

My next instinct is to run away (eg. Rocket Boots).. except that doesn't work because I'll take ~3-5 rapid fire hits in the back mid-travel and die, since the projectiles keep hitting well outside 1500 range.

Alternatively, I could turn and fight. I'd like to do this, but I'm being pew pewed from 1.5x my maximum weapon range and by the time I close that gap, I'll be dead.

Now, I grant you that this is FAR from the biggest problem in WvW, and if they never fix it, the world will not end. It's not a problem for builds with teleports + hard invulns, or stealth, or auto-proc invuln passives, etc etc, but you counter cheese with cheese, so .. It just feels pretty lame to be on the receiving end of this. WTB counterplay that isn't cheese.

Those rangers were in advantageous locations. It actually looked like the same person, too. A full glass toon was blown up by another full glass toon at a range when the latter had its biggest base damage via 1,200+ range, various flat multipliers, was waiting to sneak attack someone and probably popped multiple utilities/elites before loosing a rapid fire.

What you ran into is something comparable to necros hiding out in EotM to fear people off the sides of ramps. You were caught off guard. Being "caught off guard" is the reason I never roam full zerk on any non-warrior -- thieves, mesmbers, warriors and other rangers can 100->0 me faster than I could them, the first two from stealth.

Are you not running the trait that gives you Elixir S? I can't speak to the thief scenario, but in that second ranger scenario 3 seconds of invulnerability would've put you out of range and given you time to break combat.

That said, I did post in another thread about how I hate that the line between high burst builds and heavy bunker builds has grown substantially in both directions since HoT launched and how I don't personally feel its healthy for the game. Rangers are hardly the only offenders, and they're certainly not the worst.

~ Kovu

@DeadlySynz.3471 said:

@Aeolus.3615 said:@Cogbyrn.7283, rangers vs scourge is more "on paper story" than actually work in practive,it will work on practice
IF
other side has very few scourges and not even a hand of Fb's, wich m8 also mean a smaller group than the ones the ranger are.

I'll believe that currently, Rangers vs. Scourge is simple theorycrafting, but that also means that the counter-argument against it is simple theorycrafting as well. The problem with testing it is that you have to find people who might actually enjoy/want to play LB Ranger.

I do, and the sole purpose for me playing the LB ranger is to make Scourges, Thieves, and Mesmer's lives miserable. I really won't target any other class unless any of those 3 aren't available to attack. Scourges have no counter to LB rangers, it's quite unfair actually. The only way a Scourge gets me is if I'm Alt+Tab'd out doing something else.

Even tanky thieves & mesmers get torn apart by LB Rangers now, I'm surprised more people don't play them. I basically chalk it up to the old-school thinking of players in they believe LB rangers are useless and provide nothing to the group. On the contrary, they directly counter the very class that makes all the meta-classes miserable.

I think you nailed it with old school thinking players. LB Rangers with bear pets were like the de facto newbs running around in WvW. They contributed effectively nothing to the zerg, never swapped weapons in small scale engagements even when you were on top of them, and in general 98% of them looked like they just hoped LB #2 killed something.

I'm just imagining a small battery of Rangers standing back and obliterating targets as the zerg rolls in and out. What is the iron fist of a zerg ball going to do against them? Charge them? That's risking going way deep and losing stragglers unless they can transition out from that position. Would they even catch a properly evading Ranger if they could? How many people could this group of rangers drop to the ground on each pass?

Just makes me curious.

Archived