Dead content

@Rasimir.6239 said:

@bigchunk.3875 said:I don't play guild wars 2 with voice anymore, but I respect the amount of work it takes to implement. I think they can fix a lot of what you call 'obnoxious' by significantly lowering the chance that a boon will trigger a voice line. That would solve most voice related complaints pretty easily. A lot of those lines don't seem to be meant to be repeated often.

Please no. Personally I rely a lot more on those lines to alert me to happening on-screen than I do on watching buff lists, party lists and the like. It's one of the reasons why I love my golem back-pack: it gives me even more audio cues about things going on in-game that I could never take in as easily if they were only visual effects. Not every person is primarily visually focussed.

If you don't like to hear the lines, you can simply turn them off, but don't take them away for those of us that make use of them when playing the game just because you find them inconvenient and useless.

I'm not personally invested either way as I said earlier, I don't play with voice. If you wanted to stem the frustrations some people have with voice acting in game, that would be the way to do it. Relying on voice for boon up-time isn't the best way to play group content, as you will be getting a lot of boons from your party so the information is almost random. If you're playing by yourself, you are generating your own boons, so you should have a good feel for what's on you. Lastly, voice lines don't provide 100% accurate feedback as there is a chance you will get a boon and NOT hear a voice line. Either way, I don't understand how you find voiced boons as reliable information. My understanding of the boon triggered voice lines is to provide that audio confirmation from time to time that something is happening to make your character better at combat. A lower trigger rate would still do that, and add replay-ability to the lines.

@"zombyturtle.5980" said:While I agree with you that dead content in the game creates a problem.. I dont think any of the things you listed apply to dead content.Animation and voiceovers are purely subjective. They cant be called dead... It costs far far to much to add additional voiceovers and its not worth adding different animations as they dont bring revenue to anet.

Revenant profession does need a rework, but not in the form of more legends (these will come with elite specs). It needs a rework of its energy costs.

This.... subjective stuff is meehhh to some, woowwee to others, doesn't mean its dead.Revenant is actually my favourite class to play at the moment. Sure it might not be the top notch dps meta but I have a lot of fun playing it, especially renegade.I do however , wholeheartedly agree though it needs some better thought into the energy costs around its skills, much like thief did many moons ago, but more than that I also think adding in some choice in elite skills with each legend not just the "you will only have these if using that legend" will go along way to opening up the revenant a lot more.

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

@"zombyturtle.5980" said:While I agree with you that dead content in the game creates a problem.. I dont think any of the things you listed apply to dead content.Animation and voiceovers are purely subjective. They cant be called dead... It costs far far to much to add additional voiceovers and its not worth adding different animations as they dont bring revenue to anet.

Revenant profession does need a rework, but not in the form of more legends (these will come with elite specs). It needs a rework of its energy costs.

This.... subjective stuff is meehhh to some, woowwee to others, doesn't mean its dead, just means I reduce the sound bar down so I don't hear them.Revenant is actually my favourite class to play at the moment. Sure it might not be the top notch dps meta but I have a lot of fun playing it, especially renegade.I do however , wholeheartedly agree though it needs some better thought into the energy costs around its skills, much like thief did many moons ago, but more than that I also think adding in some choice in elite skills with each legend not just the "you will only have these if using that legend" will go along way to opening up the revenant a lot more.

Thumps up to the op if for nothing else, then at least for the fact that revenant must be fixed because its current state is embarassing.

It is not just that it is weak as whole and not really needed anywhere in the game, it is also that some of its mechanics and animations are broken or buggy.Perfect example is the sword 3 ability which teleports you in a cloud of mist around a target while dealing damage. Not only this ability can tickle multiple targets instead of one which weakens the damage, but those other targets can even be non-hostile yellow mobs. In addition, this skill often puts you with your back or side facing the enemy. If this was to be used in pvp, you'll easily get backstabbed.

This is a basic class ability...meanwhile the game got this "awesome" update allowing you to sit in a chair!

@"EpicName.4523" said:Thumps up to the op if for nothing else, then at least for the fact that revenant must be fixed because its current state is embarassing.

It is not just that is weak as whole and not really needed anywhere in the game, it is also the fact that some mechanics and animations for it are broken or buggy.Perfect example is the sword 3 ability which teleports you in a cloud of mist around a target while dealing damage. Not only this ability can tickle multiple targets instead of one which weakens the damage, but those other targets can even be non-hostile yellow mobs. In addition, this skill often puts you with your back or side facing the enemy. If this was to be used in pvp, you'll easily get backstabbed.

This is a basic class ability...meanwhile the game got this "awesome" update allowing you to sit in a chair!

Anet just trolling us tbh?Revenant is my favorite profession because of how it connects to the lore but like the usual it doesn't get the attention it should

@Danikat.8537 said:

@"zombyturtle.5980" said:While I agree with you that dead content in the game creates a problem.. I dont think any of the things you listed apply to dead content.Animation and voiceovers are purely subjective. They cant be called dead... It costs far far to much to add additional voiceovers and
its not worth adding different animations as they dont bring revenue to anet.

It could actually be possible to make money from adding new animations. Elder Scrolls Online sells "personalities" in their cash shop which change the animations your character uses, and even how they stand, walk and perform emotes. For example the thief personality changes the standing position to a defensive pose and changes walking to sneaking (even if you're not using the sneak mechanic), the assassin personality gives your character a dagger to play with when standing idle and makes a lot of emotes look more aggressive, and the drunk personality means you have a drink in your hand whenever you're standing still and changes the walk animation to stumbling around etc. (I can't really describe how they change the emotes, but if you're interested I'm sure there's videos on youtube.)

I don't think it's their best selling item but some people really enjoy them and selling it as an optional extra means they get some money back from the people who want it to cover the time taken to make them.

Personally the animations in GW2 rarely bother me. I guess I don't spend that much time looking at my own characters. I was disappointed when they changed the ranger's sword fighting, because now it just looks like they're waving the sword around randomly, but it fixed the problem of being locked into an animation and unable to dodge or move except at a few specific points, so overall it's better.

Of course the problem is if they sold new animations in the gem store the people who can't stand the current ones would probably complain that it's too expensive for something they absolutely cannot play without and it must be added to the base game as a free update instead.

I didn't know that this idea has already been implemented in a game but it sounds so good, I agree with you about the fact that Anet probably doesn't have any interest in making new animations probably because of the money but I have some faith that their appearance in E3 will refresh content and add much more(crossing fingers).

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

@"AliamRationem.5172" said:I like the voice work, even when it's laughably bad. It's just so...GW2! But I will grant you that some of the voice work for player skill use crosses the line into obnoxious territory. I've always loved the chatty Asuran female voice in combat, but I agree that Norn female (especially ranger!) is about the most annoying thing ever. If I have to hear "We heal as one!" just once more...

Or the one a female Norn says when she gets swiftness: "Quickly!"(1) I don't mind "We heal as one!" because I control when
my
ranger says it.

"Suffer!" on a (female human) Reaper just gives me ... chills. It fights with a female human warrior shouting "Shake it off!" and any human female saying "Oh, it's
on
now!" for top place.

Oh, and on the subject of
good
animations, these are the ones I like best, in no particular order:
  • Sword/Dagger Weaver in Fire/Lightning, 1/2/3 especially 2.
  • Daredevil autoattack chain
  • Revenant Sword 3 "Unrelenting Assault"
  • Revenant Hammer 3 "Phase Smash", especially if your character is showing the Black Feather Wings back item skin.
  • Reaper GS 2 "Gravedigger"
  • Fire Elementalist Dagger 2 "Drake's Breath", real dragon breath there
  • Guardian Torch 5 "Cleansing Flame",
    blue
    dragon breath
  • Guardian GS, more or less the whole set.

(1) Particularly grating if you have the passive mode of Signet of Illusion running, where it gives you a random boon every ten seconds, since it the list includes swiftness and you'll hear your character say it a couple of times a minute the whole time you are logged in.

Daredevil and Reaper imo have the best animations like damn Anet really did a good job, and they are the only reason I bought HoT?

Be thankful if you think content in this game is dead, in the last game I played they are going to totally delete the lower end areas and start characters at a high level . That's like deleting most of this core game. I would hate to see most of this game go because it was seen as 'dead content' even if they created new maps.And i'm sorry moaning about a characters voice and animation is superficial at best.

@"Dami.5046" said:Be thankful if you think content in this game is dead, in the last game I played they are going to totally delete the lower end areas and start characters at a high level . That's like deleting most of this core game. I would hate to see most of this game go because it was seen as 'dead content' even if they created new maps.And i'm sorry moaning about a characters voice and animation is superficial at best.

When I say "dead content" I don't mean that people just abandon it, I mean that it needs a refresh if even just a bit of all the old content.And btw what game is it that it deletes all of it's core? Sounds like the devs wanna shoot themselves in the leg...

The developement of the Revenant happened at the same time ANet was developing their first expansion. Many things needed to be done and the ppl were waiting and yelling for the devs to release the thing allready. Different from PoF, a lot of new systems, like Elites, the Guild Halls or Adventures, needed to be developped in the first place and the Rev suffered a lot in the process.The class feels like orphaned content at many, mostly minor, points. You don't get to choose your Racial Skills for example as a Rev. Another more bothering thing would be the state of Revenants under water. New Legends tend to not be available UW, locking you into Mallyx and Shiro. Also, I think if the Rev would have been a core class and had had the same time/ressoures devoted to it, there would be more skills to chose from per legend... and maybe no weapon swapping(unpopular opinion but it was their original design and it would mirror eles(light) and engis(medium) for the heavy armor class).

Will they fix it? I don't know at this point. The Rev will allways be that one class that came in late and it will allways feel out of place or strange, can't change that. But ANet could rework the proffession by adding some skills for all the legends, reworking it to be more on par with the other classes UW. If they add stuff and only slightly tweak the existing things, maybe the backlash of players who like the rev the way it is would ot be as bad... On the other hand Anet has quite the record for abandoning things. They like to let those trial balloons fly and see what sticks with the audience, what keeps them engaged and what generates them money in the process.

As with many things in this game I likevery much, I'll be excited when it happens.

Rev doesnt need another legend, but a finished UW set of skills, and a few (5 to 8, IMO, no more) "free" utility skills, not linked to any legend, so you could customize a bit your utility bar. This would greatly improve the profession, adding clear and visible variety and personalization and putting Rev on the same level as other classes.

well myself thinkiíng about coming back and start full time play even bfa coming soon ...But dont judge me or dont tell me im wow playa or etc.

Im the only one who feel gw2 dying ? not me like a wildstar or any mmos.

Just normal no flame wave .

For me Pof is nice expansion but still feel no content nothing what can ppl handle in this game no matter if have subs or its b2p

@Nopesarenotforme.5190 said:

@Nopesarenotforme.5190 said:Revenant - why can't Anet add more legends?, Why can't I channel Zhaitan or Mordremoth?(don't know if it's possible lore wise but you get the point), It's a great opportunity to give more lore and bring more content in the future(I'm pissed off mostly because of that but Im sure there are more examples).

because the elder dragons do not go to the Mist when they die?

I thought about glint when I wrote that and it sounded pretty kitten worthwhile

it's possible that Glint could originally be a native dragon to Tyria, like Saltsprays of Cantha, thus able to go to the Mist after death.

here's a quote from wiki referencing Arah explorable, an indication Glint possible have a flesh form; thus the ability to produce offsprings through eggs?

Warden Illyra: I have learned that the last time the Elder Dragons came, the Forgotten worked with Glint, who hid the old races from the dragons' power. [...]Warden Illyra: Yes. Yes! Look at these runes. The Forgotten were able to remove Kralkatorrik's control over Glint.Warden Illyra: Glint remained in crystalline form, but she regained her free will and identity. [...]Warden Illyra: This is the altar. It was here, before the human gods came, that Glint was freed of the Elder Dragons.

@AliamRationem.5172 said:

@AliamRationem.5172 said:I like the voice work, even when it's laughably bad. It's just so...GW2! But I will grant you that some of the voice work for player skill use crosses the line into obnoxious territory. I've always loved the chatty Asuran female voice in combat, but I agree that Norn female (especially ranger!) is about the most annoying thing ever. If I have to hear "We heal as one!" just once more...

I guess there's no setting to turn off player voice work, huh?

Have you tried this option in the 'Options - Sound' menu?

Disable Player ChatterDisables the random chatter and player character shouts, like those from when a boon is acquired.

Nope. Never bothered me enough to try. But if I ever pick up ranger for real, I'll be sure to check it out! Thanks!

Oh man, back in the day they either didn't have this option or I didn't know about it and I'd afk in DR by the bank and there was this sylvari female who did the same and she'd get boons and omg since I was still at my computer I could hear them after several weeks of it, it was enough to make me turn off all sound and just listen to music instead. I really like sylvari, the lore around them, and the pale tree mini I have is one of my favorite minis I think she's so pretty, and even though I've seen some sylvari who dress laughably bad (players), or who have creepy faces(both players and characters), Sylvari themselves aren't so bad, they're about human height so they're just as good as humans for jumping puzzles/vistas and Canach is awesome probably the best sylvari ever love his lines, that said, those player chatter lines are THE WORST out of all of them.

Archived