The new forums are a step back

Lonami.2987

@DBZVelena.5186 said:I also agree on the "Helpful" "thumbs up" "thumbs down" should be anonymous . because of the very fact that theres a "thumbs down" option at all. Yes it works on reddit, but on reddit down voting is anonymous.

I disagree, we just do not need a list of icons.

I am on another forum that has more than agree/disagree (thanks, aww, like, etc) and when you click 1/more you add your name to a visible list of who reacted what way. You can also remove a reaction (handy when you click the wrong button by mistake). There are no problems and it can sometimes be handy to know at a glance who is on what side of an issue.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Harper.4173 said:I'll have to add something to the rank system. Yes - by default unlocking forum functionality through ranks is stupid, but here's another fun thing they did - they gave NO consideration to old players and contributors to the forum.Example:I have hundreds of posts on the old forums. Good, bad, right or wrong I was a person who contributed to the discussion. That's what the forums were for. I've got 5400 hours in game and yet - for some reason - I'm a "recruit".

Well done Anet, nice way to show your veteran players and people who care about this game and its community how much they matter.

I did not think about it but yes. Many people contributed to the old forums, in ways that others even today are looking up. Whether it was build guides, technical troubleshooting, or people who have been known on there for years and constantly added to it. It seems a slap it the face to say everyone is a 'recruit' without taking their contributions to the old forum into account.

Threads like these belong in the Feedback section, there is already a thread to respond with posts such as this one. Not trying to harp on you OP, just, it would make for an easier time for developers/mods and other forum staff, to view concerns/opinions such as yours, if they are all put in one spot.

Another important function the forum is missing: Active threads. A page where you see the last active threads of the selected subforums. Most forums have something like this since long ago, but neither the old or the new official GW2 forums have anything like that, and it's really painful.

It would let people see active conversations without checking all subforums one by one, and it would prevent general discussion from getting all the attention while the rest of the subforums are barely used.

Edit: Nevermind, there's one here: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussions It needs a better name though, like "active" or "recent" discussions.

@Odokuro.5049 said:Threads like these belong in the Feedback section, there is already a thread to respond with posts such as this one. Not trying to harp on you OP, just, it would make for an easier time for developers/mods and other forum staff, to view concerns/opinions such as yours, if they are all put in one spot.

This is the most visible place for users to post their opinions. I will compile and move them to the feedback thread later.

@Astraea.6075 said:I agree that there are many improvements that can be made to the new forums, but I wouldn't necessarily call the change a backwards step.

I take the fact that we have the new forums as a sign that ANet finally have a forum platform that they can more easily adapt and modify and hopefully will be able to improve on going forward.

Having said that, the mobile version looks awful and is missing functionality. I had to go to the full site to be able to set my avatar for instance.

And they apparently can't change stuff easily, as Gaile said that the nightmode, would be impossible for example,

@Menadena.7482 said:

@Harper.4173 said:I'll have to add something to the rank system. Yes - by default unlocking forum functionality through ranks is stupid, but here's another fun thing they did - they gave NO consideration to old players and contributors to the forum.Example:I have hundreds of posts on the old forums. Good, bad, right or wrong I was a person who contributed to the discussion. That's what the forums were for. I've got 5400 hours in game and yet - for some reason - I'm a "recruit".

Well done Anet, nice way to show your veteran players and people who care about this game and its community how much they matter.

I did not think about it but yes. Many people contributed to the old forums, in ways that others even today are looking up. Whether it was build guides, technical troubleshooting, or people who have been known on there for years and constantly added to it. It seems a slap it the face to say everyone is a 'recruit' without taking their contributions to the old forum into account.

Just now I searched for some information I needed and I found it in a 4 year old post on the old forums where people banded together and made an effort to bring information to the community.I also remember the huge support for discussion that came from the CDI posts, and hour-long discussions about this or that.All of that - we did for the game, for the community and for the sake of it. A bit of recognition is by no means owed - but would have been very welcome.

@Jaken.6801 said:

@Astraea.6075 said:I agree that there are many improvements that can be made to the new forums, but I wouldn't necessarily call the change a backwards step.

I take the fact that we have the new forums as a sign that ANet finally have a forum platform that they can more easily adapt and modify and hopefully will be able to improve on going forward.

Having said that, the mobile version looks awful and is missing functionality. I had to go to the full site to be able to set my avatar for instance.

And they apparently can't change stuff easily, as Gaile said that the nightmode, would be impossible for example,

The nightmode would be as easy as changing the background and font colors. It's not rocket science.

And still, if everything is so restricted, they should have used a different software :dissapointed:.

@Lonami.2987 said:

• Locking forum functionalities behind badges only encourages artificial behavior in order to farm more badges and unlock said features. The main goal of the forum should be discussion, not achievement farming and spamming to get points.This might as well be the one post I make using the new forums. I find it distasteful that Arenanet chose to 'gamify' their communications platform and lock basic functionalities of their forums behind achievements. It's not cute, it's not fun. I'd be shocked if it does anything for the supposed kittenposting problem Gaile says the locked editing permissions are supposed to solve, and that's presuming it was even a significant problem to begin with. Farm your forums so I can edit my posts? No thanks.

I disagree that the forum upgrade is a step back... but it isn't strictly an upgrade, either.

It's more like a side-grade if anything. There've been some good changes, and then we have some less desirable ones. Things like Like/Dislike/Helpful react buttons were honestly to be expected because they are everywhere these days, and the only nice thing about them is that they're anonymous insofar as they don't outright name who is pressing what button. I would agree that they're prone to starting circlejerks though and that they aren't really used as "This is good advice" or "This is bad advice" more than they become "yiss +1 QFT" or "no gfy" reactions.

But that's honestly more due to human error than forum functionality.

I agree on many of your other points too. In particular, editing lockouts for posts is asinine and stupid and I wholeheartedly disagree with it - especially because OP edits can be so integral to conversations when new people poke their foot into a thread - and I don't enjoy the limited options for avatars. Why bother giving us avatars when you make them so pitifully small and when they clearly don't scale very well? (Seriously, just look on the left. The resolution is awful on avatars at that size, yet they're fine when small icons. Who the hell organised these things and let them ship like that? As a forum designer, I'm offended.)

while its nice to see the new forums and every thing it can do :o even works with #Twitter too nice to see it all working with out any bugs at all so far. but wonder how long it last. now if they would only done this with #GuildWars2 I would bought the new pack .but still at least these forums will be much better than the old forums ever was B) :p ;)

Archived