Reasons to get a sceond Acc

I have collected 7 accounts over the life of the game. Only my main has all features, the alts only have a few added character slots and expanded bank slots.

Extra accounts are great for extra gold for little/no effort, extra limited offers (freebies from gem shop, festival 1/day/acct things, 1/day things in general) but if you are actively playing the alt account, then that is time you aren't advancing your main account. GW2 rewards focus -- if you are the type of player that wants to get all the achievements, unlock masteries, etc. I'm not so focused, so a little time played here and there on an alt account doesn't bother me too much.

For US$25, you can get one of the following:

• A 2nd account with PoF or HoT (if it's on sale). This grants you 30 bank slots, ~450 inventory slots on toons (using 18 slot bags, which are only a few gold each), and roughly an extra 20 mystic coins pre month.
  • 2000 gems, which can get you two more characters at ~180 inventory slots on toons plus some more bank tabs (if you haven't maxed)
  • 400-450 gold

If you logon every day on a second account, you can earn back the 400-450 gold in two years from the mystic coins alone (sooner if you spend the laurels on material bags and sell or use those on your main). On the other hand, that commits you to logging in every day to do that. There's also the temptation to spend time & money on a second account, e.g. dailies are so easy, that it can feel "easy" to get the extra 2g/day on top of the 20 m-coins/month.

Another advantage for some people is that having a 2nd account gives them an opportunity to start fresh. Go back to the roots of the game and have fun re-learning the different profs from scratch.

Or in short: it really depends on what you want out of the game. I wouldn't recommend a 2nd account to anyone who can't explain to a friend why it's a good idea. And at the same time, it's a really great addition for a lot of people.

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:For US$25, you can get one of the following:

• A 2nd account with PoF or HoT (if it's on sale). This grants you 30 bank slots, ~450 inventory slots on toons (using 18 slot bags, which are only a few gold each), and roughly an extra 20 mystic coins pre month.
  • 2000 gems, which can get you two more characters at ~180 inventory slots on toons plus some more bank tabs (if you haven't maxed)
  • 400-450 gold

If you logon every day on a second account, you can earn back the 400-450 gold in two years from the mystic coins alone (sooner if you spend the laurels on material bags and sell or use those on your main). On the other hand, that commits you to logging in every day to do that. There's also the temptation to spend time & money on a second account, e.g. dailies are so easy, that it can feel "easy" to get the extra 2g/day on top of the 20 m-coins/month.

Another advantage for some people is that having a 2nd account gives them an opportunity to start fresh. Go back to the roots of the game and have fun re-learning the different profs from scratch.

Or in short: it really depends on what you want out of the game. I wouldn't recommend a 2nd account to anyone who can't explain to a friend why it's a good idea. And at the same time, it's a really great addition for a lot of people.

Actually HoT is cheaper than that. Only $17 for at least another 4 days https://www.dlgamer.com/us/games/buy-guild-wars-2-heart-of-thorns-29808 although their ending time doesn't seem very accurate most of the time and that offer is available frequently.

@"Khisanth.2948" said:Actually HoT is cheaper than that. Only $17 for at least another 4 days https://www.dlgamer.com/us/games/buy-guild-wars-2-heart-of-thorns-29808 although their ending time doesn't seem very accurate most of the time and that offer is available frequently.

You're right that there are frequently better prices.

I used US$25 because it's hard to know what discounts are available to which people how often. The numbers aren't the main point: it's a trade off between a long-term potential benefit versus immediate advantages. Buying a second account is a great idea for some, a terrible idea for many.

Thanks for the responses.

What made me consider a second account in the first place was the amount of "free" laurels and coins. Everything else (dailys etc) are just icing on the cake.A second account would give me something else to do than doing my everyday chores on my main.

Now from reading all that in my case it all comes down to the effort of logging in. I don't care that much about extra bank/character slots.I guess the only reason to choose between PoF or HoT, is the liking of certain elite specs.

@"Jethro.9376" said:Thanks for the responses.

What made me consider a second account in the first place was the amount of "free" laurels and coins. Everything else (dailys etc) are just icing on the cake.A second account would give me something else to do than doing my everyday chores on my main.

Now from reading all that in my case it all comes down to the effort of logging in. I don't care that much about extra bank/character slots.I guess the only reason to choose between PoF or HoT, is the liking of certain elite specs.

Keep in mind that stuff is account-bound so characters on one account won't be able to take advantage of them from a different one.

I got a cheap HoT account just before PoF launch, essentially for the Mystic Coins and Laurels. I'm not sure if it's quite "payed off" yet, but it definitely feels rewarding! I occasionally do dailies on it, if they are very quick. (Like today, a simple jp that I could even portal through, a vista and the Metrica potato farm)The MCoins here are not sold, but help make sure I basically don't need to buy any.

It's also functioning as a mule account for the masses of Elder Wood and Mithril I'm saving for an upcoming legendary.

@"Jethro.9376" said:Now from reading all that in my case it all comes down to the effort of logging in. I don't care that much about extra bank/character slots.Sure, as long as you understand that to make it "pay off" means logging in daily and, e.g. 1x/month, spending your laurels and shipping the profits to your main.

I guess the only reason to choose between PoF or HoT, is the liking of certain elite specs.If all you're doing is mystic coins & laurels, it absolutely doesn't matter.

If you're considering long term...

• Choose HoT for easier dailies (sometimes PoF has a bounty in place of a vista).
  • Choose PoF if you think you might do more than dailies at some point; it's less effort to gain mount masteries and specializations with PoF than with HoT.
  • There are other considerations, depending on other things you might do "some day." I wouldn't worry about them: if you get to "some day," there will be a lot of other changes from what matters to you today.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived