Give 4v5 Teams a Fighting Chance

malisivo.5264

Just got back from an unranked game where someone disconnected midway and our team played the rest of the game 4v5. Nothing new there, a whopping 500 - 107 defeat. Enemy team started spawn camping, not even bothering to do anything else.

That's fine and all. They're free to spawn camp all they want and laugh at our inevitable deaths. And they can be pricks about it. That's their prerogative.

HOWEVER (now hear me out), that sucks the enjoyment out of a game mode I actually like a lot. Aside from the occasional toxicity, Guild Wars 2 PVP is enjoyable.

Here is what I suggest:

1. Once a team is in a 4v5 fight, give the opposing team a debuff. Movement impairing or a lower percentage in overall damage, ANYTHING that would give the 4-member team a fighting chance to turn the tables.
  2. If the dc'd person returns, release the debuff and allow the teams to fight normally.

This is not to blame the person for disconnecting because it is not their fault that we loss. The DC contributed to the loss, but it wasn't the reason. This is to suggest a way for 4v5 games to have the potential for all members to be playing on even ground.

Please do not insult, rage, or throw shade at me. Feel free to add your thoughts. Thank you for taking the time to read this!

Thank you for the response! And while I agree with you, the team I had still wanted to fight until the end and didn't give up one bit, even when the other team was spawn-camping. I'm thinking if we had something like this, our time wouldn't be wasted (only to be thrown into another long matchmaking queue). And if we win, the win will be worthwhile. ^^

My suggestion would be this:

Forced honor. Temporarily disable respawn for the most recently deceased member(s) of the team with extra players.

This would give an incentive for the 4man team to keep trying to get an enemy on respawn and level the playing field.

If a disconnect happens while it was a close match with death on both sides, then it's completely evening the field automatically, until players return.

Edit: Obviously you'd still be shielded from rating loss if you were outmanned for more than 2 minutes, but in a lot of cases you can avoid the outnumbered scenario.

I mean I am mad if someone disconnects right away in ranked because the other team might be win trading. I do like how nothing happens to your rating after the loss though. They need to ban win traders faster so people will stop doing it.

@Chaith.8256 Hmm, while I agree that may work for ranked, unranked is made more for players who need respawns. During that game, the other team was spawn-camping, so we couldn't quite kill them, even if we tried. ? They killed us before we could make it past the gate. I'm just trying to suggest a way to keep the game mode fun in unranked, and really, 4v5 matches in unranked ruin any sort of fun to be had. But, thank you for responding! I appreciate it!

@Chaith.8256 said:My suggestion would be this:

Forced honor. Temporarily disable respawn for the most recently deceased member(s) of the team with extra players.

This would give an incentive for the 4man team to keep trying to get an enemy on respawn and level the playing field.

If a disconnect happens while it was a close match with death on both sides, then it's completely evening the field automatically, until players return.

Edit: Obviously you'd still be shielded from rating loss if you were outmanned for more than 2 minutes, but in a lot of cases you can avoid the outnumbered scenario.

Sure, but it could give unfair situations for the 5. Bad luck, the firebrand was last to die, you still have a 4v4 against 2 scourges..To be honest, i'm not sure this has to be adressed. 4v5 isn't fun, but that's it, you cannot really change this. One could be having a 5 second internet crash, leading into dying on a crucial moment, leading into a lose. This won't be noticed by players, but it's roughly the same as being 4v5 for a few seconds..

The best way is probably to tell players to play the safest, i.e holding close, playing 2 points ( far + close are quite often 4v4), etc..

@Abazigal.3679 said:Sure, but it could give unfair situations for the 5. Bad luck, the firebrand was last to die, you still have a 4v4 against 2 scourges..To be honest, i'm not sure this has to be adressed. 4v5 isn't fun, but that's it, you cannot really change this. One could be having a 5 second internet crash, leading into dying on a crucial moment, leading into a lose. This won't be noticed by players, but it's roughly the same as being 4v5 for a few seconds..

The best way is probably to tell players to play the safest, i.e holding close, playing 2 points ( far + close are quite often 4v4), etc..

As soon as someone else dies they'd take the place of the person honoring. If a crucial member of the 5 is honoring, as soon as someone dies he'll be released. I dont think there's really anyone without a crucial role though.

Archived