I don't use discord

In my guild's they were telling me about invites to someplace. I'm like okay where are the sign-up sheets. They replied 'Discord" no I do not want to jump on discord. I only have a headset. I play with the sound off. I don't want to jump into discord. I want to stay in the game and play it. Why are people's obsession with discord? I just don't get it.

Why can't I play in the game, why can't everything be in the game? Why do I need to sign up to discord to listen to them talk and heavy breathing? I just want to play the game.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's up to your guild and it's officers/leaders where they put their event advertising, not you. If you have a problem with that, talk to them.You also, don't have to use Discord with voice. It is a great tool to organize people for events/dungeons/fractals/ etc. To see when/how many people are free to do them.¯ \ (ツ) / ¯

@Icemanfrost.5428 said:

@sakura.7961 said:Discord is also a textchat, not just a voicechat. You can use it without mic and sound.

It feels like I am going have pressure to talk on the mic. I don't like talking through a headset or mic. I like writing.

Then express your concerns to your guild. Explain exactly what you just said - that you don't like talking through a mic and would prefer to type. If they're not okay with that...well, that's their fault.

@"Icemanfrost.5428" said:In my guild's they were telling me about invites to someplace. I'm like okay where are the sign-up sheets. They replied 'Discord" no I do not want to jump on discord. I only have a headset. I play with the sound off. I don't want to jump into discord. I want to stay in the game and play it. Why are people's obsession with discord? I just don't get it.

Why can't I play in the game, why can't everything be in the game? Why do I need to sign up to discord to listen to them talk and heavy breathing? I just want to play the game.

You can just play the game. There is no requirement to use discord to play. For example, I played for years before even learning that discord existed. Now I do use it, but only when I feel like it.

The reason they use them simply is the provide far better functionality than what the game does, with the added bonus of linking players in a guild when not in game. Guild websites used to do this more as a widespread too., but these days discord etc is just better set up, especially with the mobile access too.

Im not a big fan of these things despite being a user at times, but the advantages to guilds are pretty massive compared to limitations the game provides.

@Icemanfrost.5428 said:

@Evolute.6239 said:Discord is like skype or whatever. You dont need to speak a word or ever use a voice channel ever if you dont want to.

Communities use community tools to communicate. Not that shocking.

Lol @ heavy breathing. Have you used a VoIP program in the past five years or are you stuck in 2004?

What is voip

Technical term for skype, discord, mumble, teamspeak etc etc

@Randulf.7614 said:The reason they use them simply is the provide far better functionality than what the game does, with the added bonus of linking players in a guild when not in game. Guild websites used to do this more as a widespread too., but these days discord etc is just better set up, especially with the mobile access too.

Im not a big fan of these things despite being a user at times, but the advantages to guilds are pretty massive compared to limitations the game provides.

I had a bad stuttering problem in school. It's gone away now. Kids were not kind to me. I talk much easier just in-game chat. I prefer only in-game chat. Someone on here was wanting to help me. I said yea sure. They wanted to show me screenshots of discord on their webcam

. Took two hours, it didn't work. They tried to get me install Skype. I tried that didn't work. Leaving me overly frustrated. I'd prefer only in-game chat if I could.

@Icemanfrost.5428 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:The reason they use them simply is the provide far better functionality than what the game does, with the added bonus of linking players in a guild when not in game. Guild websites used to do this more as a widespread too., but these days discord etc is just better set up, especially with the mobile access too.

I had a bad stuttering problem in school. It's gone away now. Kids were not kind to me. I talk much easier just in-game chat. I prefer only in-game chat. Someone on here was wanting to help me. I said yea sure. They wanted to show me screenshots of discord on their webcam

. Took two hours, it didn't work. They tried to get me install Skype. I tried that didn't work. Leaving me overly frustrated. I'd prefer only in-game chat if I could.

Which is a perfectly fine and reasonable reason not to want to use it. I would have a private word with an officer, but if it helps, no guild ive ever associated with has ever pushed for compulsory voice chat.

@Randulf.7614 said:

Which is a perfectly fine and reasonable reason not to want to use it. I would have a private word with an officer, but if it helps, no guild I've ever associated with has ever pushed for compulsory voice chat.

It feels like it. Twice a guild officer had encouraged me to use discord in PM's. I went so far to tell them my discord ID but they want me to add them to discord. Should I just leave the guild?

@Icemanfrost.5428 said:

Which is a perfectly fine and reasonable reason not to want to use it. I would have a private word with an officer, but if it helps, no guild I've ever associated with has ever pushed for compulsory voice chat.

It feels like it. Twice a guild officer had encouraged me to use discord in PM's. I went so far to tell them my discord ID but they want me to add them to discord. Should I just leave the guild?

It isnt my place to say yes or no, but ultimately it is just a video game and it should be fun and comfortable experience for everyone playing.

@Castigator.3470 said:Eh, Teamspeak3 is my preferred voicechat, but there's Mumble for those who like open source software, good quality and low latency, and Ventrilo, though that may be a little oldschool?I don't really get what's so good about Discord, that cannot be found in the aforementioned programs.

Free like mumble, has built in servers like raidcall, it's voice quality is pretty good, it has more updates than any of the other softwares combined, it can be ran from a browser or your smart phone with proprietary apps, not third party stuff, has a pretty good bot community for extra stuff.

It's just better. Mumble and TS were the thing a few years ago, but discord just blew them away in terms of how good of a platform it is.

@Icemanfrost.5428 said:

Have you explained to them why you aren't comfortable using Discord? If they keep pushing you after you've explained, then yes, leave the guild. It's not worth it to be around people who are continually pushing you to do something you aren't comfortable with.

@Batel.9206 said:

Have you explained to them why you aren't comfortable using Discord? If they keep pushing you after you've explained, then yes, leave the guild. It's not worth it to be around people who are continually pushing you to do something you aren't comfortable with.

I feel like if I tell them. They won't take my concerns seriously. I just don't think they'll remove sign-ups from in discord to in the game. I don't think GW2 has sign-ups, do they? I will have to check it out. I just silently watch them talking about discord, some of them are actually nice so I don't want to leave the game, just seems easier than dealing with that.

@Randulf.7614 said:There are no tools for sign ups in game. Since discord is more commonly used for text chat, you can either leave it running in the background and use it as and when or if you want to text chat via or just use it for sign ups and nothing else.

If I do use it. I'll just use text, thanks. I feel like they will start talking on it. I can't hear them with not having any sound. I'll check see what type of guild it is.

I dislike voicechat too... I have very very rarely used it. I still have discord though and communicate in the various text chats now and then when I am not in game. Thankfully my guild is not pushing towards me having to use voicechat. Although at certain organised events it might be more beneficial if I will at least listen.

But yeah I definitely feel you on this, I have really hated when guilds have pushed for me to use other voicechat programs.

Did they actually say you need to talk on Discord? What you described sounds like my Pokemon Go raid group: someone finds a raid, sets up a text channel saying where it is, what pokemon and how long is left and then anyone who wants to join in replies with what time they can get there so we know who to expect and how long to wait. We never use voice chat (even though most people are using the mobile app so they definitely have a microphone) because text works better for event sign-ups.

I'm also in 2 GW2 guilds who use Discord, but I told them when I signed up I don't use voice chat because I'm usually playing with the sound off and can't listen to it and they said that's ok. I probably miss out on some chatter but it's never been a problem.

Archived