When to use d/p and when to use s/d as a thief?

Nimrud.5642

Im back after like 3-4 months of not playing pvp, and I read about the s/d nerfs a few days ago. And as I understand now the advantage of using s/d is a lot less obvious. So I was wondering what would be the main guidelines in deciding which one to use in a particular match. I've come up with a few on my own, but would greatly appreciate if more experienced players could add theirs as well! thx

So here it goes:

d/p:-if the enemy team has a thief: if its s/d or deadeye you hardcounter him/her, if its mirror build then you'll see who's better, if its any condi build you outperform them with mobility-I find it better against scourge even with nerfed dash-I also find it better against druid because of the easily accesible interrupt

s/d:-against holo-against firebrand-can stay longer in teamfights or 1v1s-better against spellbreaker as well

This is a pretty solid set of guidelines. It also may depend on what scenarios you will find yourself in. If you think most of your plusses will take longer than a few seconds (spellbreaker, holo, fb, etc.) then you may want to go with s/d as it's sustained damage is better than d/p. If you think your plusses will be fairly brief (druids, glassier builds, etc.) then d/p's spike damage will serve you better in the long run in terms of efficiency.

@Nimrud.5642 said:Im back after like 3-4 months of not playing pvp, and I read about the s/d nerfs a few days ago. And as I understand now the advantage of using s/d is a lot less obvious. So I was wondering what would be the main guidelines in deciding which one to use in a particular match. I've come up with a few on my own, but would greatly appreciate if more experienced players could add theirs as well! thx

So here it goes:

d/p:-if the enemy team has a thief: if its s/d or deadeye you hardcounter him/her, if its mirror build then you'll see who's better, if its any condi build you outperform them with mobility-I find it better against scourge even with nerfed dash-I also find it better against druid because of the easily accesible interrupt

s/d:-against holo-against firebrand-can stay longer in teamfights or 1v1s-better against spellbreaker as well

I keep hearing that s/d thieves counter me on FB support, but I have yet to fear one particularly. Soft counter?

Maybe it's just the vast majority of thieves are bad?

Archived