Getting other characters to the desert

@Vladish.3940 said:

@Vladish.3940 said:

@Boogiepop Void.6473 said:It should not require gems to get your alts to content you paid real money to access already.

It doesn't, it's called play the story. It doesn't take long. The game just came out and people seem to be in a hurry to finish all the content on the first day.

Tell that to someone with 30 or more alts they need to get access. Do you want to play that opening instance for EVERY ONE OF THEM?

Actually yes. If you can't play them all what's the point of making them other than having too much money :/

Deliberate trolling? I find it hard to believe you can't understand that grinding the exact same extended scene 30 times just to get access to an area isn't "playing" in any sense of the word. Or is it just pettiness?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Jak.6049 said:A bit early for this, but you could probably enter through the guild hall in Vabbi. Though, of course, that puts you in Vabbi... but, still in PoF.

Right, I was actually planning on capping a GH for a storage guild just to do this. However, that's hardly something that is easily available to everyone, given that it needs 100 gold, a free guild slot (or an accommodating GL), and time to do the events.

@Sarpan.9074 said:

@GreyWolf.8670 said:You don't even need a guild to get to HoT maps. Just walk straight through the portal in SW Silverwastes.

Really? I was pretty sure that alts still either had to do the Rally to Maguuma story or use a gizmo. Did that change?

You just need to walk out the back end of the Silverwates. It's a readily accessible map gate.

@Vladish.3940 said:Not really. I roll characters to play them, and I have 11 of them. I have no problem playing every part of the expansion, including prologue (it's pretty kitten short), on every one of them. I see no point having 30 characters other than as a bank storage, and at that point I still wouldn't be butt hurt about not having them on a PoF map. There are same vendors/banks/etc. in every city, and at this point it's actually more beneficial to keep them in old content because it will load faster due to people migrating into new content. So no, I don't see a point in the outcry. And if someone wants to play all 30 characters, than don't cry about actually having to play them. I simply don't understand the point, other than trying to jump a bandwagon of bitching in order to show off an inflated account..

It's great that you enjoy playing the story a dozen times, but other people prefer other aspects of the game, including completing maps. People aren't complaining about having to play their characters, they are complaining about repeating particular content just to open a gate. In this particular case, due to crashes beyond our control, some players could not complete the story, and so the gate locked their character(s) out of the zone entirely.

Currently the game only gates progression per character for: leveling, adding elites, ranger pets, stories, map completion, and crafting. Nearly everything important in the game is account bound instead: learning recipes via consumables, masteries, wardrobe, acquisition to all other maps, collections, achievements, wvw ranks, pvp ranks, and so on.

So it's fine if you don't understand why other people have other preferences, but you could at least respect that they don't feel the same as you. People aren't jumping on some sort of bandwagon nor was the OP whining about it — the OP asks if it's possible to reach the C-Desert without doing the story (answer: no) and then stated their opinion that there should be another way.

@Boogiepop Void.6473 said:

@Vladish.3940 said:

@Boogiepop Void.6473 said:It should not require gems to get your alts to content you paid real money to access already.

It doesn't, it's called play the story. It doesn't take long. The game just came out and people seem to be in a hurry to finish all the content on the first day.

Tell that to someone with 30 or more alts they need to get access. Do you want to play that opening instance for EVERY ONE OF THEM?

LOL I'd figure if you have 30 (!) lvl 80 alts that you need to get to the oasis, that it's safe to say that you are pretty heavily invested in this game. Heck, maybe it's the only one you play. Why not drop some extra cash on a game you clearly enjoy?

It is strange, lots of people commented here and agree with it, but there are only 3 thumbs up! As suggested in feedback forum, although anet still might read all forums, if you want your voice heard and agree with it, thumbs up the first post.

Also I do agree, using guild hall, teleport to friend or even doing story over and over is not a viable option. This is not the first time Anet publishing a new map, they might have known this would happen and players will ask for it, if there is no direct entry point.

@Vladish.3940 said:

The people who were in hurry, already finished content and nothing would stop or slow them even not even a single story step!Just 4 hours after launch, I saw someone using skipper jumped to mastery point in Diviner's reach in desert highland. It means he already had 15 mastery points. these kind of people are only may be 10%~15% top hardcore players.

And then there are people like me with different playing style and purpose.

@Vladish.3940 said:

@Vladish.3940 said:

Actually yes. If you can't play them all what's the point of making them other than having too much money :/

For economical reasons. who you think is supplying stuff that you buy from TP?

@Sarpan.9074 said:

@GreyWolf.8670 said:You don't even need a guild to get to HoT maps. Just walk straight through the portal in SW Silverwastes.

Really? I was pretty sure that alts still either had to do the Rally to Maguuma story or use a gizmo. Did that change?

You just need to walk out the back end of the Silverwates. It's a readily accessible map gate.

Wow. Silly me, blindly believing the wiki. I did that first story on all my toons to get into VB. LOL.

@Sarpan.9074 said:

@Sarpan.9074 said:

Wow. Silly me, blindly believing the wiki. I did that first story on all my toons to get into VB. LOL.

Wiki for VB says (my emphasis):"Getting there[edit]From the Silverwastes: the portal to Verdant Brink is in the south-western part of the map. First time access is activated through the Story Journal entry Prologue: Rally to Maguuma."

But I didn't check edit history, that note can be a later addition.

Sorry for multiple posts, but since I can't edit yet...

I had read the wiki entry as meaning the first time access per character, not account. My mistake.

And, yeah, I agree with the OP that doing the story over and over is tedious (from experience, heh). I'm glad I have the Lily pass if this is the way it is and stays that way.

@bobsort.4097 said:

@Vladish.3940 said:

@Vladish.3940 said:

For economical reasons. who you think is supplying stuff that you buy from TP?

I don't use TP.

@Vladish.3940 said:I don't use TP.

That's irrelevant. The TP is used by hundreds of thousands of players. While it's your choice to avoid the financial benefits, please don't let it color your view of how the existence of the TP and people who farm/gather on multiple toons affect the gameplay of the rest of the community.

@Vladish.3940 said:I don't use TP.

That's irrelevant. The TP is used by hundreds of thousands of players. While it's your choice to avoid the financial benefits, please don't let it color your view of how the existence of the TP and people who farm/gather on multiple toons affect the gameplay of the rest of the community.

And just as me not using TP is irrelevant... their desire to skip a story part where you are introduced to first mini-boss and create a reason for your character wanting to stop her murdering spree is irrelevant to me. It's an important part of character's developing story and doesn't mean it should be skipped just because you don't feel like playing it.

@Vladish.3940 said:

Sorry, but a) 30 characters, what the hell? and b) that's up to you but IF you have 30 chars, then this also means more work.

That said; yes, it would be nice to have a way to skip this. I am lucky having the Lily of the Elon thingy, but not everyone has that.

Archived