Legendary weapons/armor

Be aware that crafting any legendary is a long, expensive multi-step process. For example each legendary weapon has 4 different collections which need to be completed (for the original ones the 4th collection doesn't have an achievement, it was supposed to be a scavenger hunt where players worked it out themselves, now you can use the Wiki) and additional things which need to be crafted in between. It also requires playing multiple game modes - open-world PvE, WvW, Fractals, dungeons or more WvW etc.

If there's things in the game you absolutely cannot stand doing and you'd rather go without a legendary then attempt it, or if you're not willing to spend all your gold, other currencies and materials on it (may not be necessary, depending on how much you have, or you might need far more than you've got now) then I strongly recommend researching what's involved before you start - and making sure you've checked through all the different steps - so there's no nasty surprises. (And on the other hand there may be shortcuts - for example you can buy generation 1 legendary weapons on the trading post, or just their precursor which saves a lot of the work.)

That doesn't mean don't do it, I'm making my 3rd legendary weapon at the moment and enjoying it, it just means know what you're getting yourself into.

If you're having trouble working out what's involved from the Wiki pages and you can tell us which legendary or legendaries you've chosen we can tell you exactly what's involved. Doing that for all of them would take forever, which is why I'm not just doing it now, but if you need a summary or any specific pointers we can help. :)

@CaelestiaEmpyrea.2617 said:Another important thing to note is that the stats of Legendary gear are identical to Ascended gear. Legendary gear is primarily a COSMETIC upgrade. The only mechanical benefit is the ability to change the stats of Legendary gear at any time you aren't in combat.

The reasons to get legendary armor are obviously subjective.You see the cosmetic aspect more appealing while I find the functionality immensely more important.For players like myself, having the highest tier armor which can have any stat combination available is the most useful part of leg gear.

Be aware that the prices for first-generation legendaries are ... painful, pretty much all in four figures of gold. The precursors are much less problematic, with the highest prices around 650 gold.

Just about the easiest to collect-and-craft yourself is Rodgort (Torch), but even that requires you to run a full Central Tyria map-complete (for a Gift of Exploration, although you do at least get two of them), and a full WvW reward track ("Gift of Battle Item Reward Track"). for a Gift of Battle. To craft the precursor yourself, you'll need to run the Snowblind Fractal once and correctly light a fire in there, as well as a lot of faffing about using fire for various purposes in the ordinary open world.

@CaelestiaEmpyrea.2617 said:Another important thing to note is that the stats of Legendary gear are identical to Ascended gear. Legendary gear is primarily a COSMETIC upgrade. The only mechanical benefit is the ability to change the stats of Legendary gear at any time you aren't in combat.

This. When I was new to the game I would have sworn to have seen higher stats than ascendeds on the trading post for the legendary weapons. So I was a bit disappointed after I crafted my first legendary. But I like then anyways and having a few stat-changable items is great to make quick adjustments to your build.

Archived