New player with expansion and boost but confused.

So I’ve been playing for a month or two making all classes to 21ish to try and see if I like the game and class. Love the game, bought the expansion

I boosted my thief to get a mount for my main I plan to level 1-80. I can only get the raptor and it seems whenever I try to do anything in the expansion, I get facepalmed into oblivion by everything.Questions:

1. Is it because I’m a thief, still new, or expansions are hard? I want to solo the maps and explore but every veteran or champion? Destroys me.
  2. I really like warrior and guardian. Trading blows face to face in heavy armor. Can I solo both expansions?
  3. Crafting is an enigma. Do I honestly as a new player, be making my own gear? I salvage literally everything and I’m broke to buy anything from trading post and I seem still so far off in materials to craft.

I highly appreciate any help from the veteran community. Not new to mmos, but Guild Wars 2 for me is such a unique game; no quests, no set trinity of healer tank dps..etc

Thief is fragile and requires a bit of finesse to play well, but yes, any class can solo all of the story content in the game. Some will be easier than others, but it's all doable. That said, the expansions do have more difficult enemies(particularly Heart of Thorns) and content than the core game, so they are a bit rougher to learn your class in.

Crafting is fun but not very practical, in my opinion. By the time you collect the materials and level up your crafting to make your character anything useful, your character will have leveled up again. You get a lot of gear given to you as you level up and what you don't get, is fairly cheap on the Trading Post anyway. I mainly craft because I enjoy it or to gain experience for a new character but I have played a long time and have a lot of materials to throw at it. I certainly don't make money on it.

I see, thanks for the help guys. I’ll just give up on crafting for now... put a hold on the getting all the mounts for my alt too, I don’t think I can get the rabbit even.Really love Elementalist but it gets less forgiving fast or I just suck at kiting. Can they still solo ?

Also, what do you mean go into PVP to test? Wouldn’t I just get destroyed playing against real people?

@"AKFonze.3284" said:So I’ve been playing for a month or two making all classes to 21ish to try and see if I like the game and class. Love the game, bought the expansion

I boosted my thief to get a mount for my main I plan to level 1-80. I can only get the raptor and it seems whenever I try to do anything in the expansion, I get facepalmed into oblivion by everything.Questions:

1. Is it because I’m a thief, still new, or expansions are hard? I want to solo the maps and explore but every veteran or champion? Destroys me.
  2. I really like warrior and guardian. Trading blows face to face in heavy armor. Can I solo both expansions?
  3. Crafting is an enigma. Do I honestly as a new player, be making my own gear? I salvage literally everything and I’m broke to buy anything from trading post and I seem still so far off in materials to craft.

I highly appreciate any help from the veteran community. Not new to mmos, but Guild Wars 2 for me is such a unique game; no quests, no set trinity of healer tank dps..etc

I'd say you're having difficulty because you're new. I died to just about everything when I first entered the jungle (HoT) and people assured me it would get easier. They were right! Here's a video I recorded tonight:

Needless to say, diving right into a champion, a veteran, and 7 or 8 regulars all at once was out of the question when I first arrived in the jungle! But once you learn how to build for your play style and practice up until you're comfortable with it, you may be surprised what you can do with this combat system!

@"AKFonze.3284" said:I see, thanks for the help guys. I’ll just give up on crafting for now... put a hold on the getting all the mounts for my alt too, I don’t think I can get the rabbit even.Really love Elementalist but it gets less forgiving fast or I just suck at kiting. Can they still solo ?

Also, what do you mean go into PVP to test? Wouldn’t I just get destroyed playing against real people?

What he means is to go into the PvP lobby and test the classes against the training NPCs. Inside the PvP lobby you have access to every trait and skill and your stats are boosted as if you were lvl 80. This allows you to try out different builds before spending any time on leveling a character.

As for the elementalist: eles are squishy. They are the profession with the lowest armor and base health in the game, but they can deal insane damage. Just not while leveling, since they require special equipment for that. When leveling an elementalist I recommend using Glyph of Elementals to avert enemies attention. Kiting is difficult and not really efficient. Instead try to create a situation where enemies can't harm you even though they're right in front of you. Sandstorm is the most overpowered defensive skill you have access to. It makes up to 5 enemies unable to hit you for as long as they're inside the sandstorm (doesn't work on champions and above).

Also you mentioned soloing veterans and champions. Veterans are supposed to be a challenge. For now you can consider a veteran to be as strong as yourself, so don't pick fights unprepared. Champions are not meant to be soloed. Sure, there are enough players who easily kill champions solo, but that is not something a new player can do.

1) Yes, yes and yes. You're getting destroyed by every veteran or champion (and probably most large groups) because thieves are not an easy profession to play, you need to really understand your skills to play them effectively, because you're new and may not know all the mechanics and 'tricks' in as much detail as you need and likely won't have the best equipment for your build (or a coherent build) and because the expansions are designed to be harder so they're a challenge for people who have done everything else.

2) It will eventually be possible to solo everything in the open-world maps and story, probably on any profession but definitely on a warrior or guardian. But also don't forget it is a multiplayer game and you can ask for help with anything you can't do alone - either ask your guild once you have one or ask in map chat. Also the Looking For Group tool can be used for any content, including things like Hero Challenges and events. If you don't see a group for what you want to do you can create one in the right category - just make sure you put a description in so people know what you want help with.

3) Crafting is odd in this game. It takes a lot of materials and unless you know what you're doing (or you're following a guide) it can take a long time to level it up. Which means it's usually not cost effective or practical to make your own equipment while leveling. I think it's useful to train crafts for later use - there's several items which can only be obtained by crafting and some which are much easier to get that way (ascended - top tier - armour and weapons for example), but it's not something you need to do right away.

I've always just used a mix of dropped gear and ones from story and level rewards while levelling up. It means the stats don't always match, but it's free and good enough to get through open-world content and story. Other options are to buy it from the Trading Post (you can often get very cheap equipment if you use the advanced filter tools to search rather than putting in, for example, 'Beserkers helm' which will only return ones with those words in the name) or to buy it from merchants in the world with karma, gold or other currencies.

@AKFonze.3284 said:So I’ve been playing for a month or two making all classes to 21ish to try and see if I like the game and class. Love the game, bought the expansion

I recommend looking up guides on how to play whatever class you're interested in -like an extensive guide. Ele can solo with their high dps but most beginner elementalists try to face tank with staff - a ranged weapon or don't understand the benefit of their rotations and how to combo from them with arcane roll etc.

Wow the Mesmer video is crazy. That class looks crazy hahaFace tanking with staff is exactly what I tried which didn’t work now I’m guardian :) and having much more fun.I saw the guides on Dulfy? Written some 4-5 years ago it seems. Are they relevant still to the current game? Most other guides I tried looking for are just builds to copy but not really much explanation into anything

Wow but thanks for the detailed answers guys it’s really making me enjoy the game more.

@"AKFonze.3284" said:Wow the Mesmer video is crazy. That class looks crazy hahaFace tanking with staff is exactly what I tried which didn’t work now I’m guardian :) and having much more fun.I saw the guides on Dulfy? Written some 4-5 years ago it seems. Are they relevant still to the current game? Most other guides I tried looking for are just builds to copy but not really much explanation into anything

Wow but thanks for the detailed answers guys it’s really making me enjoy the game more.

Glad you liked the video! If you're into that sort of thing, I have over 100 videos up on my channel. The Zintl Inquisitor is among the first and easiest bosses I've done. I use him as a sort of open world benchmark to track my performance as I evolve my build (or after major balance patches that impact my class). If you thought that was something, wait until you see some of my other videos!

You seem to favor Elementalist, though. I don't necessarily recommend it for beginners as it's a complex and unforgiving class. However, it doesn't have to be the glassiest of glass cannons. Ele has entire trait lines devoted to healing, cleansing, and damage mitigation. By sacrificing damage output, you can become extremely tanky. It's definitely not the way to go in group content, but for solo play you can have it your way.

Here's an example of a boss that's much more dangerous than the Zintl Inquisitor. The Mushroom Queen is probably the toughest HoT HP champion. She deals very high damage and it's difficult to find anywhere that's safe in the tiny cave you're forced to fight her in! But my celestial tempest auramancer build can literally stand in her area effects and is never really pressured much at all! Not what people typically expect from an elementalist (unless they PvP!).

I'm afraid I don't have anything for guardian. It's a class I haven't put any time into.

@AKFonze.3284 said:I see, thanks for the help guys. I’ll just give up on crafting for now... put a hold on the getting all the mounts for my alt too, I don’t think I can get the rabbit even.Really love Elementalist but it gets less forgiving fast or I just suck at kiting. Can they still solo ?

I recommend not focusing on crafting until you need Ascended pieces (best rarity - pink coloured).

They can solo with a proper build and gear, but it's one of the worst at soloing. Elementalists excel at group content like Raids/Fractals/Dungeons.

There are Testing Golems in PvP lobby. You can test different utility skills/traits/stats in Heart of the Mists.

Some classes are easier to start with than others (Warrior, Guardian, Ranger, Necromancer), while others are harder (Thief, Elementalist, Mesmer). It is fully possible to start on a more complex class to begin with, it will just feel a bit harder until you start getting used to it, and make use of the mechanics.

Elementalist you should start learning Dagger right away, it's the weapon that will keep you alive in most of leveling and open world PVE. Staff is a great weapon, but mostly in group stuff, where you have other players to help out.

Similarly, start getting used to the different atunements, and swap between them often. The class is built around having weapon skills with bit longer cooldowns, so you should switch to another atunement to get "new" skills, then switch again to get more skills. Preferably you should never use auto attacks :) Then start looking at which skills leads well into other skills, example fire #5 (dagger/dagger) creates a "Combo Field Fire", if you swap to earth after that skill and use a skill with "Combo Finisher Blast" it will give you Might, which increases your damage.

It is a fun class with many options, and a lot to learn. When it works, it works great, when you mess up you feel it. And always having the 4 atunements available means you almost always have an option or a solution at hand.

That said, I prefer playing my guardian when just wanting to relax, and don't want to remember the Periodic Elemental Table of buttons and skills.

Archived