Fractal/open world Legendary armor

@Tyson.5160 said:

@STIHL.2489 said:Personally, I would rather see them finish WvW and sPvP armors first.

Then.. whatever they want to make after that, fine by me.

What do you think needs to be added to wvw armor?

Ya know, I thought about this, and what I think would be really great, is if WvW Armor had Flames (I suppose in effect sort of like CoE armor) to match Warbringer. (the WvW Back item)

BUT

I think there should be a minor revamp to the Flame Effect on Warbringer (The Back Item), to more reflect that this is WvW Equipment not PvE, and the way I propose they do that is since it is a Legendary Item for WvW players, the Flame should change color contingent to the team you are on, and this would also apply to the Legendary Armor as well. IE: It would be Green Flames if you were Green Team this week, Blue flames for Blue Team.. obviously and Red for Red team.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@STIHL.2489 said:

@STIHL.2489 said:Personally, I would rather see them finish WvW and sPvP armors first.

Ya know, I thought about this, and what I think would be really great, is if WvW Armor had Flames (I suppose in effect sort of like CoE armor) to match Warbringer. (the WvW Back item)

BUT

I think there should be a minor revamp to the Flame Effect on Warbringer (The Back Item), to more reflect that this is WvW Equipment not PvE, and the way I propose they do that is since it is a Legendary Item for WvW players, the Flame should change color contingent to the team you are on, and this would also apply to the Legendary Armor as well. IE: It would be Green Flames if you were Green Team this week, Blue flames for Blue Team.. obviously and Red for Red team.

So kinda like the Balthazar armor and switch colour like the obsidian weapons?

@Tyson.5160 said:

BUT

So kinda like the Balthazar armor and switch colour like the obsidian weapons?

For the most part, yup.

@"Tyson.5160" said:Kinda got into this discussion on a different thread and it didn’t seem to fit. What are you guys thoughts on a Fractal or open world Legendary armor that has the stat swap but a different armor skin.

I remember seeing a post last year of a player designing a set of Fractal armor that looks amazing and fits well with Ad Infintium.

I think a Fractal armor set would be fine, but it's still instanced content, and there's already the raid one. I think the more options they add, the better, but they need to open up options that do not require the "high-stakes" instanced content of the current raids or T4+ Fractals. It needs to be something that more casual and open world players can pursue. They need to keep in mind that not everyone that would like these skins would enjoy that sort of content, so they need multiple paths towards acquiring it (even if the "home" path is the most efficient).

@Ohoni.6057 said:

@"Tyson.5160" said:Kinda got into this discussion on a different thread and it didn’t seem to fit. What are you guys thoughts on a Fractal or open world Legendary armor that has the stat swap but a different armor skin.

I remember seeing a post last year of a player designing a set of Fractal armor that looks amazing and fits well with Ad Infintium.

I think a Fractal armor set would be fine, but it's still instanced content, and there's already the raid one. I think the more options they add, the better, but they need to open up options that do not require the "high-stakes" instanced content of the current raids or T4+ Fractals. It needs to be something that more casual and open world players can pursue. They need to keep in mind that not everyone that would like these skins would enjoy that sort of content, so they need multiple paths towards acquiring it (even if the "home" path is the most efficient).

I think it unlikely for them to add a fractal set any time soon. They only recently added gigantic sinks for the fractal currencies, in effect giving the fractal players long-term goal to work on. Adding another one in parallel does not seem efficient or necessary. So out of these two, the open world variant seems more reasonable.

There is the question, do they want legendary-tier armor to be accessible through open world only? Armor sets always felt like they were intended to be the ultimate rewards.

@Feanor.2358 said:

I think it unlikely for them to add a fractal set any time soon. They only recently added gigantic sinks for the fractal currencies, in effect giving the fractal players long-term goal to work on. Adding another one in parallel does not seem efficient or necessary. So out of these two, the open world variant seems more reasonable.

There is the question, do they want legendary-tier armor to be accessible through open world only? Armor sets always felt like they were intended to be the ultimate rewards.

Yeah. Open world legendary armor sounds pretty stupid to me. Like, kill these open world bosses when you don't need to do more than autoattacking, here, do this kind of events and have a legendary armor.

Fractal armor at least would require more effort.

@nia.4725 said:

Yeah. Open world legendary armor sounds pretty stupid to me. Like, kill these open world bosses when you don't need to do more than autoattacking, here, do this kind of events and have a legendary armor.

I mean, there's sort of open-world prestige armor skin (two of them actually) - the Hellfire and the Radiant. Yeah, they're not restricted to open-world only, but they don't really impose any requirements on the type of content you need to play. And there's a catch - they require a LOT of play.

@Feanor.2358 said:

@nia.4725 said:

I mean, there's
sort of
open-world prestige armor skin (two of them actually) - the Hellfire and the Radiant. Yeah, they're not restricted to open-world only, but they don't really impose any requirements on the type of content you need to play. And there's a catch - they require a
LOT
of play.

They don't impose anything in particular but they do to some extent. I mean, you need AP to get those skins, and every game mode has a limited amount of AP. I don't think anybody can get the full set just by doing PvP or WvW achievements.

@nia.4725 said:

@nia.4725 said:

I mean, there's
sort of
open-world prestige armor skin (two of them actually) - the Hellfire and the Radiant. Yeah, they're not restricted to open-world only, but they don't really impose any requirements on the type of content you need to play. And there's a catch - they require a
LOT
of play.

They don't impose anything in particular but they do to some extent. I mean, you need AP to get those skins, and every game mode has a limited amount of AP. I don't think anybody can get the full set just by doing PvP or WvW achievements.

Well in this context the question should rather be "can you get the full set by just doing open world achievements". I'm not sure, actually. It's a lot of AP. But it can get you far.

@Tyson.5160 said:Kinda got into this discussion on a different thread and it didn’t seem to fit. What are you guys thoughts on a Fractal or open world Legendary armor that has the stat swap but a different armor skin.I remember seeing a post last year of a player designing a set of Fractal armor that looks amazing and fits well with Ad Infintium.

No stat swap function for purely OW and Fractal content armor. Fractal-exclusive skins (for ascended gear from FotM) would be great,

@ReaverKane.7598 said:

@Turin.6921 said:Good luck convincing the devs to make new legendary armor. It must have been an ordeal that barely made it last time. But a fractal themed armor (without complex animations) with legendary properties that needs both fractal and open world stuff would be awesome.

Its really awkward though... I mean they spent almost 2 years coming up with concepts and systems to implement that, and when they finally nailed the method of how to make it work, they stopped... I mean it wouldn't be like the had to repeat the whole process again, they did it once shouldn't be too hard to repeat it now that they know how they first succeeded.It's really odd that decision, but then again, that's also nothing new with Arena Net, logic sometimes goes out the window...

Well development does not work that way unfortunately. Especially for sth that has both design and coding involved on a game that large. Just becuase the did it the one time does not necessarily mean that the second one could be easier. And then there are other things to consider. Bugs like the one that crashed an entire map when using the armor for example suggests that it is more complex that it sounds. Only the ppl that know the source code actually know how complex it would be to repeat.

TBH from what i understand the only reason they went through it in the first place was that it was promised.

@"Feanor.2358" said:Well in this context the question should rather be "can you get the full set by just doing open world achievements". I'm not sure, actually. It's a lot of AP. But it can get you far.

They could easily use similar system as with aurora. Have each piece tied to achievements in each LS season. 1 or 2 pieces per season. That would make it enough of a quest to make the reward reasonable.

@Feanor.2358 said:

@Feanor.2358 said:There is the question, do they want legendary-tier armor to be accessible through open world only? Armor sets always felt like they were intended to be the ultimate rewards.

Then what better place to have them but the ultimate gameplay mode?

tumblr_mlrrumMQj21rc407qo1_500.gif

I was talking about open world, the ultimate game mode in GW2. The other stuff is just niche content.

@Ohoni.6057 said:

@Feanor.2358 said:There is the question, do they want legendary-tier armor to be accessible through open world only? Armor sets always felt like they were intended to be the ultimate rewards.

I was talking about open world, the ultimate game mode in GW2. The other stuff is just niche content.

Want me to post the gif again? You just used the same word, and again in a completely wrong context.

@Feanor.2358 said:

Want me to post the gif again? You just used the same word, and again in a completely wrong context.

I'll paste the dictionary entry for you to read, dear Ohoni.

ULTIMATE

adjective1.last; furthest or farthest; ending a process or series:the ultimate point in a journey; the ultimate style in hats.2.maximum; decisive; conclusive:the ultimate authority; the ultimate weapon.3.highest; not subsidiary:ultimate goal in life.4.basic; fundamental; representing a limit beyond which further progress, as in investigation or analysis, is impossible:the ultimate particle; ultimate principles.5.final; total:the ultimate consequences; the ultimate cost of a project.6.not to be improved upon or surpassed; greatest; unsurpassed:the ultimate vacation spot; the ultimate stupidity.

@nia.4725 said:

ULTIMATE

adjective1.last; furthest or farthest; ending a process or series:the ultimate point in a journey; the ultimate style in hats.2.maximum; decisive; conclusive:the ultimate authority; the ultimate weapon.3.highest; not subsidiary:ultimate goal in life.4.basic; fundamental; representing a limit beyond which further progress, as in investigation or analysis, is impossible:the ultimate particle; ultimate principles.5.final; total:the ultimate consequences; the ultimate cost of a project.6.not to be improved upon or surpassed; greatest; unsurpassed:the ultimate vacation spot; the ultimate stupidity.

Yup, you can't do better than open world in GW2. The rest of the stuff's there just to appeal to niche audiences. Never confuse "more difficult" for "better." In fact, that should really go without saying.

@Ohoni.6057 said:

@nia.4725 said:

ULTIMATE

Yup, you can't do better than open world in GW2. The rest of the stuff's there just to appeal to niche audiences. Never confuse "more difficult" for "better." In fact, that should really go without saying.

Oh, you can certainly do a lot better. You have a lot of room for improvement. All of it, actually. Since you can't really go lower in requirements than open world. Just because something accessible and popular doesn't make it best. Or you should be labelling McDonalds "the ultimate food".

P.S. On a related note, if this is your definition of "ultimate", then the ultimate armor is the one you start with when creating new character. Everybody has that. All other skins are created to appeal to niche audiences.

@Ohoni.6057 said:

@nia.4725 said:

ULTIMATE

You can't do better than open world in GW2

slow clap

Archived