Radial Mount Menu and recent banwave

We all know about the recent banwave session.Before I lost my pc to the fires of age, I had an addon called: "Radial Mount Menu" (easiest to find by googling for WoodenPotatoes video on the mod)simple in use, it creates a small circular menu overlay, and then connects moving the mouse left, right, up and down, as well as keeping central with the '1-5 mount keys'.however it is an addon, not an overlay. It touches the DLL.It was fine at the time of release of course, but now that I heard how sensitive the banwave was, I decided not to activate it anymore.I would like to know if there's anyone else out there who still uses it, if anyone heard anyone got banned for using it.or best yet, if any dev knows about this 'mod' and whether or not it would spring a cheat signal on their banning software?

kind regards in advance

Edit:so, what I found was; Chris gave a greenlight at the original release. It's not a permanent okay, but since v.02 was only bug-fixes, I suppose it still persists.Secondly, the installation is a new .DLL in the bin64 folder, it doesn't touch the actual game's .DLL

I've never heard if this, but I'm dying to use it now. Given that WP uses and endorses it, I'd guess it's safe. Still, I'd love to hear an official response too.

Edit: I did a little research and saw Chris approved it, but when I clicked the Reddit link . . . deleted.

So I'd definitely wait and say your caution is warranted.

@"Ardenwolfe.8590" said:I've never heard if this, but I'm dying to use it now. Given that WP uses and endorses it, I'd guess it's safe. Still, I'd love to hear an official response too.

Edit: I did a little research and saw Chris approved it, but when I clicked the Reddit link . . . deleted.

So I'd definitely wait and say your caution is warranted.

Didn't know there was a reddit link, I got it from WP's youtube video.But of course, that was before the ban-wave

edit:found the reddit post. the Github link seems to work fine for me. Maybe you've got the link to an outdated version, or an older reddit post?https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/74t7f7/mount_radial_menu_addon_updated_open_sourced/

ChrisClearySkrittCoin-Miner134 points·6 months ago·edited 6 months agoThe premise of this seems fine, the implementation would need further review. This author has not yet reached out to me.

Edit: OP reached out, reviewed implementation, looks fine. Approved for initial implementation and release. GL :)

ShareReportSaveGive gold

The above is Chris' post, well, I'm gonna reinstall it. It seems safe, and if chris gives an okay, then at least I have something to fall back on if I get a warning.

It basically translates a single mouse interaction into a single simulated keypress. One "logical" action on the client, one logical action on the server.

That is about as clear-cut as you can get for "yes, acceptable". Especially as it doesn't even try and read state to determine if it should send the keys, it just, y'know, presses the button when you tell it.

So, baring any new features, it should remain just fine. Use at your own risk, of course.

@"Endless Soul.5178" said:"Use at your own risk"

Yeah, I value my account enough that I will never install anything 3rd party for this game. Chris Cleary can approve these things today, but that approval may be disapproved later.

You are entirely correct, but ... Chris, and ANet, are not unreasonable. It will not change on a whim, it will change on the basis of either (a) ANet change their policy across the board, or (b) the mount menu gains additional features.

For the former, I'm comfortable that if I miss the announcement (which will be at the top of reddit and the forums, full of angst and anger) I will be much more likely to be told by support that I shouldn't have done that than to get a ban. For the later, pay attention to what the developer says about the update.

@"Ardenwolfe.8590" said:Thank you. I clicked the original link to his post, and it said not found. That made me think he deleted it. And given the recent suspensions? Not surprised.Even so, I'll wait and see. Better safe than stupid.

https://github.com/Friendly0Fire/GW2Addons is where you can find the addon; it has not been deleted, just moved. Also, neither ArcDPS or the mount menu were in the list of problem things, and ANet have explicitly confirmed they were not part of what they looked for.

@Ardenwolfe.8590 said:@SlippyCheeze.5483 Interesting. Again, thank you. As far as ANet not being unreasonable? Well . . . I can think of a bunch of suspended people who said otherwise, but let me not kick around that can of worms. ?

Oh, but worms are so much fun to kick, and punch, and stomp back into the ground for their habit of spitting annoying boulders at me... ;)

In seriousness, though, there are a lot of people who were suspended for cheating who, yes, think it was entirely unreasonable. Unfortunately for them, it is kind of hard to find much sympathy for claims that they never cheated, because the tool was wrong, or that they cheat in other games, not GW2, and it was totally coincidence they had cheating tools running while playing...

Beyond that, the most common complaint is that GW2 did what literally every commercial anti-cheating solution did ... but without installing (with user permission, of course) a rootkit first, as those commercial solutions prefer to do. That ... doesn't impress me; if there was any uncertainty, the technical analysis confirmed that this was simply obtaining cryptographic hashes that are essentially impossible to reverse to determine anything useful about the original content of the application.

So, yah, I'm not particularly impressed by the claims that bans were made in error here.

Archived