Scourge balance and shade spamming

caudata.1298

@X T D.6458 said:

@X T D.6458 said:One of the ironic things with Scourge is that it is a heavily needed spec because it adds boon corruption, group support with barriers, and high ranged aoe damage. It is desirable in groups because it is effective, and the more it was nerfed the more Scourges were needed to keep up the pressure that it brings to enemies and value it brings to groups. The spec is too valuable to ignore in WvW, so just nerfing short of a complete overhaul of its mechanics will just lead to more Scourges in WvW because of what it has to offer.

They are doing a significant overhaul to some of the deadeye mechanics. Including changing the way malice is created.

I guess maybe there COULD be an overhaul of scourge incoming.

not-so-secretly doubts it

Its possible, but I honestly doubt they would overhaul Scourge mechanics because it along with Spellbreaker were specifically designed to fill a role.

The problem is that there's no reasonable way to escape playing with boons unless ANet overhauls the entire game.

Resistance and permanent protection and stability/concentration were ANet's answers to damage and CC powercreep.

If you try to play boonless builds you still get rolled because capping boons is literally the same as wearing an entire set of extra gear as far as stats are concerned. You wouldn't tell someone to counter something by removing their accessories.

Scourge wouldn't be as big of a problem if it just wasn't so damned impossible to shut down. It has self-stab, damage mitigation/build hate, a portal, AoE heals/barriers, huge PbAoE punishment and manages effective damage all in one bundle. Basically, it's just what happens when core necro gets all its weaknesses covered and then also gets group support that scales better the more you have.

The only answer to scourge is a redesign. The entire concept is just conceptually going to be either too oppressive or too weak with no in between unless ANet wants to redesign the entire rest of the game, first, including the removal of multiple gear combos.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Solanopearl.5692 said:Scourge is all everyone runs now and Scourge has basically ruined wvw .. groups of 50 running 23 scourges cannot be fought. Only avoided ..

Not true, a couple of rangers can send that 23/50 scourge group running. Happens many times. It gets to the point you start to feel bad about killing helpless Scourge at range when they have no defense against it.

@DeceiverX.8361 said:

@X T D.6458 said:One of the ironic things with Scourge is that it is a heavily needed spec because it adds boon corruption, group support with barriers, and high ranged aoe damage. It is desirable in groups because it is effective, and the more it was nerfed the more Scourges were needed to keep up the pressure that it brings to enemies and value it brings to groups. The spec is too valuable to ignore in WvW, so just nerfing short of a complete overhaul of its mechanics will just lead to more Scourges in WvW because of what it has to offer.

They are doing a significant overhaul to some of the deadeye mechanics. Including changing the way malice is created.

Its possible, but I honestly doubt they would overhaul Scourge mechanics because it along with Spellbreaker were specifically designed to fill a role.

The problem is that there's no reasonable way to escape playing with boons unless ANet overhauls the entire game.

Resistance and permanent protection and stability/concentration were ANet's answers to damage and CC powercreep.

If you try to play boonless builds you still get rolled because capping boons is literally the same as wearing an entire set of extra gear as far as stats are concerned. You wouldn't tell someone to counter something by removing their accessories.

Scourge wouldn't be as big of a problem if it just wasn't so damned impossible to shut down. It has self-stab, damage mitigation/build hate, a portal, AoE heals/barriers, huge PbAoE punishment and manages effective damage all in one bundle. Basically, it's just what happens when core necro gets all its weaknesses covered and then also gets group support that scales better the more you have.

The only answer to scourge is a redesign. The entire concept is just conceptually going to be either too oppressive or too weak with no in between unless ANet wants to redesign the entire rest of the game, first, including the removal of multiple gear combos.

Yes boons are a big part of the game, and that's why there needs to be counters. Scourge by itself is not hard to counter, it is severely limited by reliance on life force. What makes Scourge more powerful is when there is a high number because this allows groups to control an area as well as provide extra group support.

@DeadlySynz.3471 said:

@Solanopearl.5692 said:Scourge is all everyone runs now and Scourge has basically ruined wvw .. groups of 50 running 23 scourges cannot be fought. Only avoided ..

Not true, a couple of rangers can send that 23/50 scourge group running. Happens many times. It gets to the point you start to feel bad about killing helpless Scourge at range when they have no defense against it.

lol what? Yeah, i am sure that group is really worried about a couple o rangers...more likely they are just laughing while farming you guys 24/7...lost the count of the number of times I saw Rangers and Thiefs killing thenselfs trying to gank someone when I casted 3# skill on F3 firebrand tome...the projectile hate on the game is way to high for ranger to actually make any diference...if you wanna play ranged, go for Ele, Necro or Rev.

@X T D.6458 said:

Yes boons are a big part of the game, and that's why there needs to be counters. Scourge by itself is not hard to counter, it is severely limited by reliance on life force. What makes Scourge more powerful is when there is a high number because this allows groups to control an area as well as provide extra group support.

I'm not going to reveal anything because I reported this and I'm praying it's a bug, but right now there's a build out there which every 15s can give all allied necros (any number) within range 80% LF and it doesn't even need to be in combat.

And again, LF doesn't have a target cap and works on both downed enemies and allies, too, making it really hard to balance in WvW. Particularly because unlike core/reaper shroud, scourge can just keep gaining it when using their class mechanic skills and mitigation. So long as people are dying, the scourge is regenerating its LF. That's a fundamental problem with its design.

@DeceiverX.8361 said:

I'm not going to reveal anything because I reported this and I'm praying it's a bug, but right now there's a build out there which every 15s can give all allied necros (any number) within range 80% LF and it doesn't even need to be in combat.

And again, LF doesn't have a target cap and works on both downed enemies and allies, too, making it really hard to balance in WvW. Particularly because unlike core/reaper shroud, scourge can just keep gaining it when using their class mechanic skills and mitigation. So long as people are dying, the scourge is regenerating its LF. That's a fundamental problem with its design.

Wont comment on your first point because I dont think I have ever personally encountered it.

Shade skills, like regular shroud is used for offense and defense. Life force is fueled by nearby deaths which means its most useful when zerging and at a severe disadvantage when solo or in small groups unless you have proper support from a party. Revenants have energy, thieves have initiative, that regenerate on their own. Life force does not regenerate by itself, it is conditional because it is a secondary set of skills, similar to druid.

Yes but in the case of nearby deaths with necro and in particular, reaper, the LF gains are negated entirely when in shroud. For core necro, this is fine because it' entirely a defensive mechanic, and for reaper, this is entirely fine because it's its offense. This isn't the case for scourge which gets tons of bonus damage, utility, and sustain while never actually cutting off its resource unlike core and reaper.

@DeceiverX.8361 said:Yes but in the case of nearby deaths with necro and in particular, reaper, the LF gains are negated entirely when in shroud. For core necro, this is fine because it' entirely a defensive mechanic, and for reaper, this is entirely fine because it's its offense. This isn't the case for scourge which gets tons of bonus damage, utility, and sustain while never actually cutting off its resource unlike core and reaper.

You can still get lifeforce while in shroud through certain skills. Scourge sacrifices the second lifebar that shroud offers, and gets access to barrier in return.

@DeceiverX.8361 said:I'm not going to reveal anything because I reported this and I'm praying it's a bug, but right now there's a build out there which every 15s can give all allied necros (any number) within range 80% LF and it doesn't even need to be in combat.

What you are stating is a complete impossibility. At the fastest, you have a 20 second cooldown on giving all allied Necros 10% life force, and only when out of combat (summon Shadow Fiend, swap skills). By using more minion skills, it can be sped up, but Shadow Fiend is the lowest cooldown that actually gives life force on death.

@Felipe.1807 said:

lol what? Yeah, i am sure that group is really worried about a couple o rangers...more likely they are just laughing while farming you guys 24/7...lost the count of the number of times I saw Rangers and Thiefs killing thenselfs trying to gank someone when I casted 3# skill on F3 firebrand tome...the projectile hate on the game is way to high for ranger to actually make any diference...if you wanna play ranged, go for Ele, Necro or Rev.

This. You'd need 2-3 rangers spec'd in well timed unblockable attacks to be able to outchew the passive healing scourges get from their firebrand buddies.Obviously roaming is a different story, but we're not talking about that here.

~ Kovu

@Kovu.7560 said:

This. You'd need 2-3 rangers spec'd in well timed unblockable attacks to be able to outchew the passive healing scourges get from their firebrand buddies.Obviously roaming is a different story, but we're not talking about that here.

~ Kovu

Idk other night we had like 4-5 soulbeasts and kept killing the commander (then the zerg) whenever they tried to push.

Obv worse than scourge but not totally useless.

@Dralor.3701 said:

~ Kovu

Idk other night we had like 4-5 soulbeasts and kept killing the commander (then the zerg) whenever they tried to push.

Okay 4-5 soulbeasts could probably blow their unblockables to pick off one guy. Maybe. If the other firebrands aren't paying attention and the driver's dodge key is stuck.Good for them.

I'll admit it has been a pipedream of mine to get a full party of rangers together with the specific purpose of pissing off the enemy tag. Ain't nobody play ranger anymore, tho, and the last time I hopped on my not-scourge @Chaba.5410 scolded me.

Speaking of scourges and classes you need a whole bunch of to be noticed, large groups of scourges are what the issue is. Even if you took out all of the firebrands, only a couple of scourges would still have a heck of a time trying to down anything with even remote investments into condition removal. They're not exactly known for their burst potential. The issue is, of the nine professions, they're the most potent when there are 20 of them.

~ Kovu

The problem with scourge is the amount of moving red circles they can constantly put down while moving. When the enemy zerg has a large number there's a huge advantage in zone control since it's nearly impossible to avoid. I don't really know what the solution is other than having more firebrands and scourges than the enemy zerg. It's really a shame how awful and basic the meta has become, and it really requires groups have a certain amount of classes playing the right spec to compete. I would like to see further buffs to older skills in WvW, like shouts and such to bring them up to par with some of the other classes, but right now the game seems to revolve around Scourge, Firebrand and Spellbreakers.

So if the scourge is having a seizure and forgets to barrier/dodge and the FB's are watching netflix on their second monitor. Or maybe the FB is having a stroke and u get 1 scourge down in the group, then what? Your 3 or 4 soulbeasts just blew all their unblockable CD's and he will be auto rezzed in like 2 seconds, because hes laying in the middle of the blob, congrats.

Then when the Scourge/FB blob push into melee you have 3-4 useless soulbeasts who can either run or die. Because standing in the scourge push of death you die in all of about a second when 6-7 scourges push over u, feel free to pop your signet of stone on the way out.

@Dralor.3701 said:

~ Kovu

...okay, your 5 rangers where able to snipe down the enemy commander and wipe the rest of the zerg...dont know what this proves other then the complete incompentence of the other server...saw Thiefs using fireworks and being able to get kills on WvW, that mean that fireworks are viable for thief or is just that are people with really low skill on the game?I honestly would put Soulbeast on the useless category when talking about large scale fights...theres literally nothing that they can offer that other specs dont do it far better.

To all the above jumping on the post about rangers, I don’t think they are “good” just not useless.

By this forum’s logic anything not sb, scourge, or firebrand is useless (probably not too far from the truth) but chill out. :expressionless:

@Dralor.3701 said:

~ Kovu

Com focusing has its own special place in hell with spawn campers and genocidal maniacs.

All that needs doing to scourge is to remove big shade, then rebalance according to 1 sized shades.

@apharma.3741 said:

~ Kovu

Com focusing has its own special place in hell with spawn campers and genocidal maniacs.

All that needs doing to scourge is to remove big shade, then rebalance according to 1 sized shades.

(灬ºωº灬)

mmmm

k

or just one meteors size shade with cd. =p

@Sovereign.1093 said:

~ Kovu

(灬ºωº灬)

mmmm

k

or just one meteors size shade with cd. =p

As in the size of the meteor that hits? Sure sounds good, that’s what 180?

@Korgov.7645 said:

@Aeolus.3615 said:Resistance need's to changed from a buff to something else >_>

Resistance was a big mistake. Nigh permanent 100% immunity to conditions is unhealthy for a competitive game mode. It should receive the same treatment as Stability.

Yes to start resistance was a big mistake,......Gw2 dev's working on skill/classes and balance are simply awfull on that role(they m8 be great on other roles, but not on class stuff)... still i dont think they care much about this threads anyway since Anet keeps enforcing bad gameplay every time, and making awfull changes.

Anet dev's imo look very lame quality reason classes ended always stupid to play, dont expect much or anything that good, that's what i have learned from this company.

@apharma.3741 said:Com focusing has its own special place in hell with spawn campers and genocidal maniacs.

If this gamemode had unwritten rules of the things to and not to do, an entire server wouldn't exist.Com's got to run tankier stats and make sure there's a second FB (or some other healer like an ele or druid) in his party. =pOr abuse stealth antics so the gankers constantly lose target. Smoke fields aren't hard to come by.As it was noted earlier, it takes several rangers for it to become a threat, anyway.

~ Kovu

@Kovu.7560 said:

@apharma.3741 said:Com focusing has its own special place in hell with spawn campers and genocidal maniacs.

If this gamemode had unwritten rules of the things to and not to do, an entire server wouldn't exist.Com's got to run tankier stats and make sure there's a second FB (or some other healer like an ele or druid) in his party. =pOr abuse stealth antics so the gankers constantly lose target. Smoke fields aren't hard to come by.As it was noted earlier, it takes several rangers for it to become a threat, anyway.

~ Kovu

Not com focusing is about having a fight, that’s fun and gets to play out. If all you do is beeline 20 people onto one target unless those 20 people are so devoid of intellect a zombie can beat them at chess they will kill the 1 guy pretty easily. What this ends up doing is creating boring and uninteresting fights for both sides which leads to everyone ending up worse off in the long term.

Archived