Why PvP ranked mode allows players afk inside a game?

Dreddo.9865

I had posted a video from a Plat2 game where team blue was winning by a considerable amount then one of their mates goes 'emo mode' and afk, throwing the game. This post was removed as it contained player names something I didn't realise that it was breaking the forum rules - not my intention and apologies for that. Still it clearly showed that this isn't a thing coming from people that 'sink and dissolve naturally' but something present in all the levels of ranked affecting the PvP experience considerably.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@CaldaRaric.6305 said:

@Sampson.2403 said:Lol people love to justify their losses based on everyone else but themselves and will go as far as to convince themselves that their teammates are self sabotaging.I think you got it all wrong.

Nah man, i maybe new here but i aint new to competitive online gaming. Same tune, different song.

Almost every game the losing team starts spewing conspiracy theories about win traders, throwers, cheaters, speculation of their teammates ratings being far below theirs etc.

Rarely do people come to the conclusion that their team simply got outplayed by the other.

The amount of BS on these forums is just GLORIOUS :)

Edit:

Back to the point of the post, if people choose to rage quit and go afk in a match, thats life. You act like "only pugs do this" - you and your friends are just as susceptible to the rage.

Just like anything else in life, People who continue to play with this mindet will sink while those who don't will climb. No need for government regulation here.

People in this game match manipulate. It’s not just people spewing conspiracies theories. Stay long enough and you will see. Hackers, afkers, match throwers are very, very common.

Very very common?

I've played 1200 games last season and im at 300 games this season so far and I've encountered one person who was legitimately win trading by playing two accounts.

What I have seen very very often is blatant rage fueled false accusations of "win traders", "report this guy because of xyz" and people rage quitting by "going afk" after a 100 point defecit opening.

None of the above behavior is cheating, win trading or match manipulation. Its just poor attitude.

Please feel free to correct me if I am missing something. With the amount of posts that talk about this subject I'd actually like to be proven wrong here.

@Sampson.2403 said:

@Sampson.2403 said:Lol people love to justify their losses based on everyone else but themselves and will go as far as to convince themselves that their teammates are self sabotaging.I think you got it all wrong.

Nah man, i maybe new here but i aint new to competitive online gaming. Same tune, different song.

Almost every game the losing team starts spewing conspiracy theories about win traders, throwers, cheaters, speculation of their teammates ratings being far below theirs etc.

Rarely do people come to the conclusion that their team simply got outplayed by the other.

The amount of BS on these forums is just GLORIOUS :)

Edit:

Back to the point of the post, if people choose to rage quit and go afk in a match, thats life. You act like "only pugs do this" - you and your friends are just as susceptible to the rage.

Just like anything else in life, People who continue to play with this mindet will sink while those who don't will climb. No need for government regulation here.

People in this game match manipulate. It’s not just people spewing conspiracies theories. Stay long enough and you will see. Hackers, afkers, match throwers are very, very common.

Very very common?

I've played 1200 games last season and im at 300 games this season so far and I've encountered one person who was legitimately win trading by playing two accounts.

What I have seen very very often is blatant rage fueled false accusations of "win traders", "report this guy because of xyz" and people rage quitting by "going afk" after a 100 point defecit opening.

None of the above behavior is cheating, win trading or match manipulation. Its just poor attitude.

Please feel free to correct me if I am missing something. With the amount of posts that talk about this subject I'd actually like to be proven wrong here.

That’s awesome you have only seen it once. I get an afker every match. So, yes. Very, very common.

@Dreddo.9865 said:I had posted a video from a Plat2 game where team blue was winning by a considerable amount then one of their mates goes 'emo mode' and afk, throwing the game. This post was removed as it contained player names something I didn't realise that it was breaking the forum rules - not my intention and apologies for that. Still it clearly showed that this isn't a thing coming from people that 'sink and dissolve naturally' but something present in all the levels of ranked affecting the PvP experience considerably.

Seriously, how often is someone whose ranked up enough to be in plat 2 going to pull something like this? What your describing is someone rage quitting. If this person keeps doing this then yes they will sink and dissolve naturally.

You're complaining about an outlier, presenting it like it happens all the time, and flooding the forums with QQ about how Anet is letting their game die because they wont develop code that interprets and punishes players for raging.

Come on man, save these threads for actual cheats and exploits.

That’s awesome you have only seen it once. I get an afker every match. So, yes. Very, very common.

Define afker. Someone who goes afk because they are win trading vs someone who goes afk because their team is losing and clearly not going to win are two very different things.

@Sampson.2403 said:

Define afker. Someone who goes afk because they are win trading vs someone who goes afk because their team is losing and clearly not going to win are two very different things.

In both cases it is match manipulation. It is the same thing.

@CaldaRaric.6305 said:

Someone who goes afk intentionally so the other team wins and they benefit from it vs someone who goes afk because they're upset that they're losing are not the same thing.

The former is match manipulation and the latter is rage quitting but I'm not going to debate that or this subject anymore xD.

@Sampson.2403 said:

Someone who goes afk intentionally so the other team wins and they benefit from it vs someone who goes afk because they're upset that they're losing are not the same thing.

The former is match manipulation and the latter is rage quitting but I'm not going to debate that or this subject anymore xD.

Ok man. Both are manipulating the match, so whatever. Your semantics are kind of irrelevant.

@Sampson.2403 said:Seriously, how often is someone whose ranked up enough to be in plat 2 going to pull something like this? What your describing is someone rage quitting. If this person keeps doing this then yes they will sink and dissolve naturally.

Dude there are times when I am reading your comments that make me think whether we are playing the same game, no offense. :)

The fact that there was a ban wave on wintraders from Anet recently wasn't my imagination at all. When a player 'goes emo mode' or afk or dc and reconnects that disrupts the match balance in favor of the enemies - be it wintrading or not which you can never tell for sure, the result is the same. It's not rocket science.

Ok man. Both are manipulating the match, so whatever. Your semantics are kind of irrelevant.

Ok - Fair enough, I see your point - Regardless of why someone goes afk or how often it happens, you're being put into a 4v5 situation that's out of your control. When a 4v5 situation happens because of a disconnect, you are protected from point loss, so why not when someone goes afk?

As others have already said, it's very hard to implement something that would work in punishing afkers as there's always a way around manipulating something like this and there is big risk for false positives. I have a hard time imagining that my experience could differ so drastically from yours where you say you have someone go afk every single game and yet I barely see it in 1500 games played in the last few months. Then again, if my teams losing badly and someone sits in spawn just to speed up the inevitable, I don't count that as an "afker" and maybe you do?

The problem with GW2 is that rewards are not linked to your game's outcome.You are not rewarded for playing well, just for playing.And that's one of the major issues with leagues, and one of the main factors why sPvP died. Because people are more interested in farming than competing, which means the whole game mode is completely perverted, especial after they decided to manage the game by popular vote, which just pushed it further down the spiral of doom.

@Dreddo.9865 said:

@"Sampson.2403" said:Seriously, how often is someone whose ranked up enough to be in plat 2 going to pull something like this? What your describing is someone rage quitting. If this person keeps doing this then yes they will sink and dissolve naturally.

Dude there are times when I am reading your comments that make me think whether we are playing the same game, no offense. :)

The fact that there was a ban wave on wintraders from Anet recently wasn't my imagination at all. When a player 'goes emo mode' or afk or dc and reconnects that disrupts the match balance in favor of the enemies - be it wintrading or not which you can never tell for sure, the result is the same. It's not rocket science.

lol, I think we're playing the same game, "My Café - Recipes and Stories"?

of course I understand what you're saying about a match getting disrupted, and yes I heard about the wintrader ban, but how often does someone in plat 2 whose winning decide to stop playing and lose? and how often have you witnessed and been impacted by wintraders? Same question since the ban?

I play plat games all the time, why am I not having someone go afk when we're winning every single game, or being a victim of wintraders.

Best thing Anet could do is get rid of ranked all together and move all ranked rewards into unranked. Ranked in no way shape or form accurately measures personal ability to play the game. I've been stuck hovering between silver/gold this season when I'm used to hovering between gold/plat. There are so many factors that cause game losses that you have no way to control.

@ReaverKane.7598 said:The problem with GW2 is that rewards are not linked to your game's outcome.You are not rewarded for playing well, just for playing.And that's one of the major issues with leagues, and one of the main factors why sPvP died. Because people are more interested in farming than competing, which means the whole game mode is completely perverted, especial after they decided to manage the game by popular vote, which just pushed it further down the spiral of doom.Spot on mate very true what you say.

@Sampson.2403 said:I play plat games all the time, why am I not having someone go afk when we're winning every single game, or being a victim of wintraders.

I am not able to answer your question but do a search on these forums (the old ones too) and you will see this is an issue reported by a lot of people and for a long time.

@Rufo.3716 said:Best thing Anet could do is get rid of ranked all together and move all ranked rewards into unranked. Ranked in no way shape or form accurately measures personal ability to play the game. I've been stuck hovering between silver/gold this season when I'm used to hovering between gold/plat. There are so many factors that cause game losses that you have no way to control.

You're correct. Basically the farmable rewards should be moved to baseline Unranked/ranked, and have end-season rewards, as unique as possible, tied to your rank and your outcome.

Another one just now. Score was 420 to 340 (us loosing) and our mesmer suddenly decides to sit afk inside safe zone. No trash talk, no accusations nothing. Just because we lost the bell for the 2nd time. When I tell him I report him (which I did) he just laughed. :)

This same mesmer next game was an opponent and guess what we won 500 to 150.

Now the third game after those I get him again in my team. I ask him politely not to afk or if he decides to do so to disconnect so that we don't lose points because of him. He replies "shut up or I will afk from the start". Now it's obvious people have started to abuse this.

@Sampson.2403 said:

You do realize people start throwing games and not trying very hard or go afk because someone from the other team offered them to throw the game for gold. Sooooooooooooooo many people don't know this goes on all the time.

I dont understand why this thread turned into a debate about the semantics of wintrading and ragequitting. Any type of afk should be banned immediately from ranked play as it's just not a competitive attitude. Gtfo ranked if you're going to give up easily. There are very few cases where the loss is actually inevitable (eg. enemy has 490+ points and double/triple cap while your team is all on respawn) and in those cases there's not even enough time for you to afk. With the amount of players having this shitty attitude of ragequitting (+ flaming their teammates) in ranked, I would think an automatic afk system where false positives can be a thing will be better for this game.

• 1 month later...

I bring this back because just now I had one of the most annoying afk in a match where the score was close and at 420 - 390 our mesmer decides to go afk. Final score 501 to 462 and the last minutes we were 4v5. What kind of competitive mode is this?

@Dreddo.9865 said:I bring this back because just now I had one of the most annoying afk in a match where the score was close and at 420 - 390 our mesmer decides to go afk. Final score 501 to 462 and the last minutes we were 4v5. What kind of competitive mode is this?

People are abusing the system. They're using bots to idle/AFK over night and while they're at work for the rewards.

As a bonus when they play again they're at the lowest bracket so they get to face roll lower brackets.

A buddy of mine who works second shift was telling me his last few games overnight in PvP were 2v2s because the majority of players were AFK/bots.

Just give pibs to unranked so people will go there instead of ruin ranked games.

Yes you will get less people who queue and times will increase, but if people are only playing for the carrot and not because they enjoy the competition then maybe the numbers dropping is what needs to happen.

Archived