What to upgrade next for my PC?

Hello there!

As of currently, my core PC specs are as follows:

• I5-6500 3.2GHz
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • GTX 960 2GB

I would like to upgrade one main component this summer but I am unsure which part is the weakest or let's say, hurting my performance the most? I believe it is the processor but could some more techy guys please provide some input and help me reach a decision on what to upgrade next?

Many thanks in advance!

@Dainank.1308 said:Hello there!

• I5-6500 3.2GHz
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • GTX 960 2GB

I would like to upgrade one main component this summer but I am unsure which part is the weakest or let's say, hurting my performance the most? I believe it is the processor but could some more techy guys please provide some input and help me reach a decision on what to upgrade next?

Many thanks in advance!

Since GW2 is very CPU intensive, you're better off buying an i7 processor. I have a GTX 970, an i7 and over 8 GB DDR3 RAM. The graphics card is fine as well as your RAM memory, so the only thing that could help improve your FPS is the new CPU. If you need any advice on what settings to use for smooth FPS, let me know.

@Hoodie.1045 said:

• I5-6500 3.2GHz
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • GTX 960 2GB

Many thanks in advance!

Since GW2 is very CPU intensive, you're better off buying an i7 processor. I have a GTX 970, an i7 and over 8 GB DDR3 RAM. The graphics card is fine as well as your RAM memory, so the only thing that could help improve your FPS is the new CPU. If you need any advice on what settings to use for smooth FPS, let me know.

I second that. Depending on your motherboard, you might have to upgrade also for the motherboard to be compatible with the intel. An i7 7700 would be fine to do. And you have the same ram as I do. Your Ram is far more then enough.

@blambidy.3216 said:

@"Dainank.1308" said:Hello there!

• I5-6500 3.2GHz
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • GTX 960 2GB

Many thanks in advance!

I second that. Depending on your motherboard, you might have to upgrade also for the motherboard to be compatible with the intel. An i7 7700 would be fine to do. And you have the same ram as I do. Your Ram is far more then enough.

FWIW, the reason that single threaded CPU performance is important is because when you eliminate everything else, that is the current sticking point for GW2 performance. You just can't buy a faster enough CPU on that front today. However, it isn't as simple as "buy an i7" or whatever; check the various single threaded performance benchmarks for CPUs and you can see that, eg, an older i7 vs a newer i5 or even i3 sometimes comes out the other way in favor...

The other reason to select based on single threaded performance for GW2 is that it uses multiple cores, but even an i3 gives you enough of those "for free" that they are not going to be the bottleneck.

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

@"Dainank.1308" said:Hello there!

• I5-6500 3.2GHz
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • GTX 960 2GB

Many thanks in advance!

FWIW, the reason that single threaded CPU performance is important is because when you eliminate everything else, that is the
current
sticking point for GW2 performance. You just can't buy a faster enough CPU on that front today. However, it isn't as simple as "buy an i7" or whatever; check the various single threaded performance benchmarks for CPUs and you can see that, eg, an older i7 vs a newer i5 or even i3 sometimes comes out the other way in favor...

The other reason to select based on single threaded performance for GW2 is that it uses multiple cores, but even an i3 gives you enough of those "for free" that they are not going to be the bottleneck.

Ok maybe you actually don’t know about i7 7700 in the first place... because i7 7700k is 7th gen quad core.... with like 3.6 gigahertz. He/she said he/she already has 16 gigs of ram with ddr4 2400. Which is more then enough. With a gtx 960. The i7 with ram is more then enough. I would question the gtx 960. But since another person said it’s fine, I would assume it is.

My pc is i7 8700k with 16 gigs ram 2400 ddr4. Z370 motherboard. 2 terabytes and 1 240 gb ssd.

But an i7 7700k intel with 16 gigs ram and gtx 960 might be fine. The only thing is you will have to upgrade the graphics card when expansion 3 comes out, so you get higher frame rate.

To let you know when I said i7 7700k. I meant intel 7, 7th gen, quad core. No I am not saying any i7 will work because that is bs. An i7 5700, will not do with this day and age. And I pray people don’t get that to upgrade. But like I said. If the person has an h270 motherboard or z270. Upgrading motherboard will not have to happen. But the person did not state which motherboard he/she has. So that person (might) have to upgrade motherboard or not.

However an i7 7700k will do fine with gw2 and every single game that is made this date. Especially with the 16 gigs of ram. But I will say the gtx 960 will not do with every single game. But I have seen people and videos use that graphics card with gw2.

@Hoodie.1045 said:

• I5-6500 3.2GHz
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • GTX 960 2GB

Many thanks in advance!

An i7 isn't better for gaming than an i5 of the same generation. The performance difference is marginal and mostly due to the slight frequency difference. Generally the unlocked i5 had been recommended over an i7 if all someone did was play games due to the fact when both are clocked equally they will run games extremely similarly. The unlocked i5 gets even better when you consider the price difference between even just the unlocked i5 vs a locked i7, with the gap widening further if you consider the unlocked i7. Unless you plan on actually doing something that makes use of Hyperthreading the 100$ price difference for a few fps on a handful of games (as they're equal for most) isn't worth it. Going with an i5 allows the money saved to go towards a better GPU (or an SSD if someone didn't have one) in the future which would provide a much better performance boost than what an i7 would offer.

Of course if money isn't an issue for someone they can just forget it all and go with an i7.

I'm not a techy person but I guess my PC is somewhat similar to OP's, also 16 GB RAM, GTX 960 4GB and i5-4690 3.5GHz. I'm an open world meta farmer and still manage to get 25-30 fps in the middle of Palawadan when there are 50+ people around and the game still doesn't look like crap (I use med-high graphics settings and Reshade for extra prettiness). So before you upgrade, you should check your GW2/Windows settings because using the "right" ones improves performance by A LOT! Here's a guide that was posted on Reddit a few days ago. I hope this helps. :D

Okay. From all the posts, it seems like my graphics card and ram are fine. If I were to upgrade my current processor, 'I5-6500 3.2GHz' to an I7, which I7 would be the best in terms of value for money (I know this is very broad but if someone could give me a short run-down that would be great!). Many thanks!!!

@Dainank.1308 said:Okay. From all the posts, it seems like my graphics card and ram are fine. If I were to upgrade my current processor, 'I5-6500 3.2GHz' to an I7, which I7 would be the best in terms of value for money (I know this is very broad but if someone could give me a short run-down that would be great!). Many thanks!!!

I've been using an i7-4790 3.60 GHz for more than three years and it's been doing wonders with GW2. If you can find that version of i7 or any other CPU that comes close to that, then go for it.

@"Samnang.1879" said:everything. if u want to get the best of this game's graphics go for the most expensive graphic card 1080.u have no idea how much of a big diff it makes between my 5 year old card and my current one

While a 1080 or 1080Ti is useful, it is not the be-all and end-all of performance options here. GW2 will bottleneck on even a significantly overclocked "fastest" CPU before being able to use all of the capability of a stock 1080Ti at 1440p, so unless you are playing at 4k or above, it probably isn't the highest priority upgrade.

OTOH, this is not true of other games, so unless you only play GW2, a faster graphics card is definitely useful.

@Dainank.1308 said:

@"DeanBB.4268" said:My suggestions would be to get your OS and games on an SSD(s).

That will make NO difference to rendering performance, since the disks aren't involved in that. SSDs can only help loading times.

Yes that is true. Either way, I will most likely upgrade to an i7. Thanks for all the advice, everyone!

What Yamazuki.6073 is true, in their post above. An i7 may or may not be the best choice. To be honest, the best possible option for you is probably a CPU from https://siliconlottery.com/ which offer pre-tested CPUs for overclocking, and grabbing the fast i5. That said, that is also a rather expensive option, so YMMV, y'know?

If you are fine with overclocking get a i7-8700k to 5GHz and OC high quality RAM with Samsung B-Dies to 4266-17-17-17-28 with tuned subtimings. RAM is really important in CPU limited scenarios. Saying 2400 MT RAM is plenty is garbage. The problem is most tech websites test with XMP profiles which are also garbage. You are leaving like 20% performance on the table if you have Samsung B-Die RAM and use XMP Profile over making your own tuning.But note that you need a good motherboard if you want to overclock and tune RAM properly. Preferably one with only 2 RAM slots like the Apex from Asus.

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

@"Samnang.1879" said:everything. if u want to get the best of this game's graphics go for the most expensive graphic card 1080.u have no idea how much of a big diff it makes between my 5 year old card and my current one

While a 1080 or 1080Ti is useful, it is not the be-all and end-all of performance options here. GW2 will bottleneck on even a significantly overclocked "fastest" CPU before being able to use all of the capability of a stock 1080Ti at 1440p, so unless you are playing at 4k or above, it probably isn't the highest priority upgrade.

OTOH, this is not true of other games, so unless you only play GW2, a faster graphics card is definitely useful.I play with a 1080ti @ 2 GHz and it is definitely a bottleneck at 1440p (with supersampling, FOV max, everything else also maxed except character model limit medium) on the new maps. GPU use reaches 99% around 120 fps (I have a 165 Hz screen).

Archived