Advice for PoF berseker build unexperienced player

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for some decent berseker build(Nothing extraordinary, just enough to finish the main story) for PvE in Path of Fire.I have played this game for a bit of time but i never payed any attention to build, craft etc. I just played for the exploration and the main story, equipped only stuff gained from loot, but now i find myself at a stop, because while i had no problem for the story in the main game, i've started PoF recently and i'm getting absolutely shredded(finished a mission with no stuff, i died something like 30-40 times) and it's quite frustrating.Maybe i'm just playing really bad although i really try to time my spells, dodge ennemy attacks and all but i feel like it's time i take a look at my stuff for once to make it a bit easier and more enjoyable for me.So if you guys have some idea i'm open to any ideas ! Thanks !

@"bsmPelot.4198" said:

I'm looking for some decent berseker build(Nothing extraordinary, just enough to finish the main story) for PvE in Path of Fire.I have played this game for a bit of time but i never payed any attention to build, craft etc. I just played for the exploration and the main story, equipped only stuff gained from loot, but now i find myself at a stop, because while i had no problem for the story in the main game, i've started PoF recently and i'm getting absolutely shredded(finished a mission with no stuff, i died something like 30-40 times) and it's quite frustrating.Maybe i'm just playing really bad although i really try to time my spells, dodge ennemy attacks and all but i feel like it's time i take a look at my stuff for once to make it a bit easier and more enjoyable for me.

So, first things first, GW2 does difficulty by being more difficult, not by resetting player power. So, yeah, PoF enemies are pretty darn smart about making you suffer. You skipped right over LS1, 2, 3, and HoT, all of which featured increased difficulty in the story that serve as a training ground for how to handle those threats.

I'd suggest you start by getting geared appropriately: full exotic, ideally using something that has defensive as well as damage stats. A good place to start would be the Conquest, WvW, and Open World builds on https://metabattle.com/ - the first two will focus even more on defensive than the Open World builds. This is ... not the "optimal" strategy, which assumes you don't need defenses since you never take damage. If you can't master that yet, no shame in it, just take a more defensive build to mean that you don't get two-shot when you miss a dodge, yah?

Also, pick traits for defensive and healing benefits, not just damage output. Consider if you could use weapons that give you an easier time: attacking at range, stunning or slowing enemies, etc. That should help.

Finally, if you do have access to any of that intermediate content, spending time there will reduce the "brick wall of challenge" experience. When I first hit HoT zones I was absolutely shredded by the opposition. They would take me apart instantly in anything other than a one-on-one fight, and those were tough. When I first hit Lake Doric I had a bit of the same experience: some of those groups would just ruin me.

Now, Lake Doric is mostly easy, and HoT? I laugh at your two packs of Pocket Raptor's, and clean them up with minimal trouble. Not because I am suddenly overgeared; I have the same ascended kit I had then, and TBH, the same actual build, because I didn't enjoy the PoF necro elite. Because I learned how to handle them. Eventually.

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

Now, Lake Doric is mostly easy, and HoT? I laugh at your two packs of Pocket Raptor's, and clean them up with minimal trouble. Not because I am suddenly overgeared; I have the same ascended kit I had then, and TBH, the same actual build, because I didn't enjoy the PoF necro elite. Because I learned how to handle them. Eventually.

I might have misunderstood the post but you find pof easier than hot? I played pof first for the sake of unlocking all the mounts but moving over to hot I found that side of things specifically hero challenges to be far more difficult. Some of them were at the point of not doable by myself or another person, where pof HP were not too hard to solo.

I found pocket raptors to be rather annoying and menacing, but squishy enough not to be a major problem. Also not sure on the exact name of the mob (something with duskscale in it I think) but it looks like a hyena and teleports around instead of walking, that thing is quite irritating.

@DarthFurby.3970 said:

I might have misunderstood the post but you find pof easier than hot?

I'm afraid you did misunderstand, or I communicated poorly, because PoF enemies are harder than HoT enemies.

My own skill level has increased over time, and now the HoT enemies that used to butcher me are ... well, not exactly trivial, but vastly more manageable. In my example above I used to die every time a pack of Pocket Raptors hit me, unless I ran the kitten out of there. Now, I laugh at them and kill them easily.

LS3 enemies are harder than HoT, PoF enemies are harder than LS3, etc. The further through the expansions and story you go, the harder things are. So, you are better off going through them in sequence in order to reduce the scale of the challenge.

I played pof first for the sake of unlocking all the mounts but moving over to hot I found that side of things specifically hero challenges to be far more difficult. Some of them were at the point of not doable by myself or another person, where pof HP were not too hard to solo.

I found pocket raptors to be rather annoying and menacing, but squishy enough not to be a major problem. Also not sure on the exact name of the mob (something with duskscale in it I think) but it looks like a hyena and teleports around instead of walking, that thing is quite irritating.

Yeah, DuskScales are also a challenge, as were the Rolling Devils - they really lived up to their name. I have mastered them all now, , but I still remember them all being so darn painful!

(Part of the challenge with the raptors was that I didn't gave great AoE skills, and didn't have good mastery of the ones I did, when I was facing them down. Learning, as noted, has corrected that. :)

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

I might have misunderstood the post but you find pof easier than hot?

I'm afraid you did misunderstand, or I communicated poorly, because PoF enemies are harder than HoT enemies.

My own skill level has increased over time, and now the HoT enemies that used to butcher me are ... well, not exactly trivial, but vastly more manageable. In my example above I used to die every time a pack of Pocket Raptors hit me, unless I ran the kitten out of there. Now, I laugh at them and kill them easily.

LS3 enemies are harder than HoT, PoF enemies are harder than LS3, etc. The further through the expansions and story you go, the harder things are. So, you are better off going through them in sequence in order to reduce the scale of the challenge.

I played pof first for the sake of unlocking all the mounts but moving over to hot I found that side of things specifically hero challenges to be far more difficult. Some of them were at the point of not doable by myself or another person, where pof HP were not too hard to solo.

Yeah, DuskScales are also a challenge, as were the Rolling Devils - they really lived up to their name. I have mastered them all now, , but I still remember them all being so darn painful!

(Part of the challenge with the raptors was that I didn't gave great AoE skills, and didn't have good mastery of the ones I did, when I was facing them down. Learning, as noted, has corrected that. :)

Sorry, that was my fault, I reversed the acronyms in the question. I personally found hot to be more challenging than pof. For whatever reason I found groups of mobs in pof easier to take down than just a couple in hot. Could be mob design being larger but few more difficult mobs versus smaller and easier mobs that could be burnt quickee in pof, or may be I am remembering everything wrong. Either way there are always those few mobs which stand out, rolling devils were tiresome to kill if for no other reason they cc'd non stop. You had to move around non stop and it made them not even worth killing. Rather aoe a pack of small raptors for that heart than kill one rolling devil, I sought out those pocket raptors!

@DarthFurby.3970 said:Sorry, that was my fault, I reversed the acronyms in the question. I personally found hot to be more challenging than pof. For whatever reason I found groups of mobs in pof easier to take down than just a couple in hot. Could be mob design being larger but few more difficult mobs versus smaller and easier mobs that could be burnt quickee in pof, or may be I am remembering everything wrong. Either way there are always those few mobs which stand out, rolling devils were tiresome to kill if for no other reason they cc'd non stop. You had to move around non stop and it made them not even worth killing. Rather aoe a pack of small raptors for that heart than kill one rolling devil, I sought out those pocket raptors!

Oh! Right. My theory would be that you, also, gained significant experience between HoT and PoF; I'd definitely say that the forged and harpies in the desert are significantly smarter - Lake Doric level - than the enemies in HoT. The later are mostly tough and dumb, with great tells. The newer ones actually make you work to counter their skill combos much more than anything other than the occasional combined attack of Mordrem did.

YMMV, though. Individual people are gonna keep being individuals. I'd stand by my statement as a good generic position, even if you are an exception. :)

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

@"DarthFurby.3970" said:Sorry, that was my fault, I reversed the acronyms in the question. I personally found hot to be more challenging than pof. For whatever reason I found groups of mobs in pof easier to take down than just a couple in hot. Could be mob design being larger but few more difficult mobs versus smaller and easier mobs that could be burnt quickee in pof, or may be I am remembering everything wrong. Either way there are always those few mobs which stand out, rolling devils were tiresome to kill if for no other reason they cc'd non stop. You had to move around non stop and it made them not even worth killing. Rather aoe a pack of small raptors for that heart than kill one rolling devil, I sought out those pocket raptors!

Oh! Right. My theory would be that you, also, gained significant experience between HoT and PoF; I'd definitely say that the forged and harpies in the desert are significantly smarter - Lake Doric level - than the enemies in HoT. The later are mostly tough and dumb, with great tells. The newer ones actually make you work to counter their skill combos much more than anything other than the occasional combined attack of Mordrem did.

YMMV, though. Individual people are gonna keep being individuals. I'd stand by my statement as a good generic position, even if you are an exception. :)

Yea, I'd say that's a good policy. In any event it say its worth generalizing that either of the two expansions are content wise more difficult than base tyria.

But I think that's a good thing as it forces you to continue to learn how to play your class / character as it is getting you ready for "end-game" content.

I also for some reason found mobs in blood stone fen to be more difficult than any of the other living world seasons 3 seasons, but that might just be me.

The advice to use tanky PvP oriented builds is... situational, shall we say. If you had to pick wrong or right, the advice would be wrong. But it's right in that some professions like ele -- which are VERY squishy -- can benefit from PvP gear in PvE if the player is newer. For something like ranger or warrior, the advice is just flat out wrong. GW2 is based around dodging, and any attack that will threaten you will also pretty much kill you in any gear. You eat a LOT more of those lethal attacks in PvP gear than you do in PvE gear.

TLDR: Without getting into the age old whining of PvE gear arguments, I personally don't recommend adding defensive stats. What I do recommend is smarter play which is something we can kind of help you with if you name specific enemies, or you can work on yourself by paying more careful attention to the rare lethal attacks. Also more active defense, which we can name for you if you tell us the profession you're playing.

@bsmPelot.4198 said:Hello everyone,

I'm looking for some decent berseker build(Nothing extraordinary, just enough to finish the main story) for PvE in Path of Fire.I have played this game for a bit of time but i never payed any attention to build, craft etc. I just played for the exploration and the main story, equipped only stuff gained from loot, but now i find myself at a stop, because while i had no problem for the story in the main game, i've started PoF recently and i'm getting absolutely shredded(finished a mission with no stuff, i died something like 30-40 times) and it's quite frustrating.Maybe i'm just playing really bad although i really try to time my spells, dodge ennemy attacks and all but i feel like it's time i take a look at my stuff for once to make it a bit easier and more enjoyable for me.So if you guys have some idea i'm open to any ideas ! Thanks !

On a warrior the simplest and easiest way to gain some sustain is to swap out one of your trait lines for Defense. Grab Defy Pain and whatever else though you probably want either Last Stand or Cleansing Ire for Grandmaster depending on what you are fighting.

Then there is food. There are plenty of very cheap health regen or life steal food.

You should make sure your gear have stats that compliments what your traits are doing. Having stats that are all over the place is not very useful. For example if you have a bunch of condition damage on your gear but you are using weapons that doesn't apply any damaging conditions then you are simply wasting stat points.

Archived