The high arc on Rocket, is this a bug? or intended?

Chaotic.2401

Greetings all!

I have recently delved into the world of Holosmith and have been playing around with all of the skills at our fingertips. However, I've noticed that Rocket ([&BiEYAAA=]) has this disgustingly high arc at max range. Due to its remarkably long travel time, using it in wvw/pvp at range seems unreasonable as seems to take almost five whole seconds to actually make impact.

Has anyone made use of this skill effectively at long range? This seems to be feasible only in close range scenarios.

@Chaotic.2401 said:Greetings all!

I have recently delved into the world of Holosmith and have been playing around with all of the skills at our fingertips. However, I've noticed that Rocket ([&BiEYAAA=]) has this disgustingly high arc at max range. Due to its remarkably long travel time, using it in wvw/pvp at range seems unreasonable as seems to take almost five whole seconds to actually make impact.

Has anyone made use of this skill effectively at long range? This seems to be feasible only in close range scenarios.

All I can say is good luck trying to make it effective at long range. Even when you're using it at close range, the damage isn't that great. From the looks of it, it does seem intended and that's the issue with it. I recommend making it function similar to the Aim-Assisted Rocket trait in Explosives, where it follows your foe and they have to dodge in order to avoid it.

@"Chaotic.2401" said:Greetings all!

It's had this obscenely long arc since launch, with no discernible reason why. As a skill, it's never been useful in any competitive setting, even before HoT, with limited utility in PvE (the damage isn't bad at point blank). It's one of those toolbelt skills / utility skills most see as a pointless fight trying to make it remotely useful. There's more pressing issues at hand.

Btw, here's the link: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Rocket

FROM THE WIKI:The rocket moves extremely slowly, due to its high arc. Up to its maximum range of 1,500 units, it can take approximately 5 seconds to land.

I'd put in the same balance as for the mortar kit: slower (even more so!), easier to see, kills you if you don't get out of the way:

• Damage increased 300% or so.
  • Always crits.
  • Obvious starting animation, say a shoulder-mounted rocket launcher firing for 1s or so, followed by a 3s-4s flight arc.

@Hoodie.1045 said:

All I can say is good luck trying to make it effective at long range. Even when you're using it at close range, the damage isn't that great. From the looks of it, it does seem intended and that's the issue with it. I recommend making it function similar to the Aim-Assisted Rocket trait in Explosives, where it follows your foe and they have to dodge in order to avoid it.

https://imgur.com/a/WN7DSC4

@Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365 said:

Its damage is certainly nothing to sneeze at, the trouble is that if you're firing it from anything further than point blank, you're incredibly likely to miss because of the tiny radius and length of time it takes to reach the target.

@Rezzet.3614 said:its because rocket turret's last rework was like 6 years ago during the wvw overhaul it got the arc like that so it could be shot over wvw walls also to avoid Obstructed shots , turrets havent been touched positively ever since

I use it on my berserker engie to cover towers and keeps, its so fun. Critting 10k average on people ramming and then all the mortar crits on top of that.

Archived