Guild Enhancements are only available to players with Heart of Thorns.

I started doing a write, and noticed it getting longed winded..... so to boil it down....

Why aren't they buying the expansion if it has the features they want? And if they can't afford it, how far is the guild willing to go to help them out?

I find guild Altruism to be utterly bizarre, in that they can collectively drop 2k gold (and in turn the time spent accumulating it) to offer a major guild contributor a token of gratitude..... but will not collectively offer $30 to get that same player an expansion, so they can play with the rest of the group. Even if that example isn't something thats happened to you; I'd ask, why hasn't it?

I don't think the problem here is access to guild features per expansion, and more a question of where the average guild will draw a line to help one of its own. Guilds are a community element. Some even becoming extended family. So if its that important that that guild member put in enough stuff to be in need of a return on investment, then the rest of the guild (who directly benefits from that contribution) should paying into that player as well. Because its just a question of personal RoI for guild buffs, it will NEVER be worth it.... even with access off the bat.

If its really THAT important to reimburse that player... why is the guild not doing it manually out of its collective boost in production? Its because you, and most players, expect the game give out rewards for efforts, instead of a conscious effort by the guild. Its subtle, but its a hypocrisy gamers have largely take for granted. Because if it really was important enough that the guild would collectively do something about it, they would had already. Guild mates could (collectively) offer gold at the market value to reimburse one player to buy prepaid credit card, or paypal $30 and send that to the player "in need" so they can get the expansion. The player benefits from "guild buffs", the guild benefits from the player now being able to play more stuff, and also gets access to farming resources they didn't have before. Its a Win/Win for everyone involved! But it didn't happen, because that was never the point....... that player simply wasn't worth investing/bootstrapping in the eyes of the guild.

Altruism or Laziness? In the former even going to that extreme would be a non-issue. The latter avoids the logical conclusion of the former due to lack of importance.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With this logic, why are buffs gated behind Guilds? Why do I have to join a guild to receive these buffs? Shouldn't they be tied to my server's WvW score? I mean, that would make more sense. My server does well, I am rewarded. Why should I have to join a club to get access?

@Blocki.4931 said:So then complain that you will never craft a gen 2 legendary because its hot content and you dont have 20 bucks to spare

. PoF owners can craft gen2 .5 and again people don't work for it to give it to guild, they do it for themselves.

Let me put it this way, what is it there in guild hall to offer for people to work for and do weekly tasks? Commendations for trinkets with core stats? Well that might work for a bit till they get 24. What is after that? hey guys can you kill couple of hours to do this tasks and in return you will get nothing. Oh and please don't forget to donate mats to guild hall that will offer you nothing.

Most of them don't get HoT not cos they can't afford it, they don't see the need of it. Any new player asks which expansion they should get and answer is obvious PoF after they learn from guild mates and youtube HoT horror and grind, why would they even bother to buy it?

@phs.6089 said:

@Zohane.7208 said:Guild halls were added as a part of HoT, hence they are part of HoT. Like all other HoT features, the services they supply are exclusive to accounts with HoT applied. If Guild hall services had been added with PoF, those services would have been PoF exclusive.I hope you know there is guild hall within desert and again only PoF owners raiding (that is HoT) just fine.

In my book people within guild should not be discriminated.

Pof owners can only do wing 5 the others requires hot and its masteriesAnd guild enchantment was added with hot what you say pof should include hot

@"phs.6089" said:Why so mean ArenaNET? What about PoF owners? :'(

Different expansions have different content, some of which is exclusive to that expansion. As HoT is the older of the two expacs, migrating some of this unique content into PoF would diminish the value of HoT to a point where people will not be purchasing it at all.For those who were not aware of the buffs only being available to HoT owners, I can sympathize - it is sometimes difficult to find this info and it's not necessarily something you would check before investing in the guild hall.For those requesting to have it with PoF - just buy HoT, it's dirt cheap; in fact you can purchase both PoF and HoT for less than the original GW2 vanilla was at launch.

As for it being "mean" of ANet to do this - no, it's them being fair. When HoT was released, players were informed that the guild upgrades were specific to that expac. It's not a case of locking people out, but more that everyone has to pay something for the upgrades.

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:While Guild enhancements were added with HoT there has also been a new Guild Hall added with PoF that connects to the maps of that expansion. So it could be easily argued that since there is a PoF Guild Hall then the enhancements with that Guild Hall should also be available to those who only own the PoF expansion.

Yes. Like revenant profession being originally HoT feature, it's now an expansion feature in general. I see no reason why guild enhancements should be gated by HoT exclusively.

However I guess why it is the way it is. There is no guild team anymore, these devs are now responsible for WvW updates. This means nobody bothered to check or fix this inconsistency and so customers are now neglected.

@Laila Lightness.8742 said:

@phs.6089 said:

@Zohane.7208 said:Guild halls were added as a part of HoT, hence they are part of HoT. Like all other HoT features, the services they supply are exclusive to accounts with HoT applied. If Guild hall services had been added with PoF, those services would have been PoF exclusive.I hope you know there is guild hall within desert and again only PoF owners raiding (that is HoT) just fine.

Pof owners can only do wing 5 the others requires hot and its masteriesAnd guild enchantment was added with hot what you say pof should include hot

Revenant was added with HoT aswell and it doesn't follow your flawed reasoning.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@Zohane.7208 said:Guild halls were added as a part of HoT, hence they are part of HoT. Like all other HoT features

Yeah, like revenant, or gen2 legendaries? Anet themselves prove your argumentation wrong.

Maybe hot should be free to pof owners they are entitled to it after all

Nobody suggested anything like this. The only people unreasonably entitled here are those who don't see an obvious inconsistency in expansion feature distribution.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@Zohane.7208 said:Guild halls were added as a part of HoT, hence they are part of HoT. Like all other HoT features

Yeah, like revenant, or gen2 legendaries? Anet themselves prove your argumentation wrong.

Nobody suggested anything like this. The only people unreasonably entitled here are those who don't see an obvious inconsistency in expansion feature distribution.

Yes but also pof should be all you need to play all content its fair. Why should a pof owner pay for old content. Yes inconsistency and its all becuse anet want more money for old content. That is what i think

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@phs.6089 said:

What does Revenant has to do with that? Not realy in to Raids but Laila said that you need HoT masteries and that does not include by having a Revenant now does it?

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

I agree.With the Windswept Haven being the newest guildhall, and PoF being a stand-alone expansion, guildhall bonuses being tied to owning HoT is backwards.Even owning HoT, you can’t mine the materials needed from the guild ore synth in WSH to make the Ornate Guild armor, because Tenebrous/Shimmering crystals are tied to a specific guild hall, rather than being a random drop now. Granted, you do get Obsidian Shards from WSH, but you can’t use them like the Crystals from the previous halls.It’s all just a big fat oversight and off putting.Any player, that can contribute to the Guild Treasury should be able to reap the benefits of the upgrades they earn, regardless of what expansion they own.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

Yes but also pof should be all you need to play all content its fair. Why should a pof owner pay for old content. Yes inconsistency and its all becuse anet want more money for old content.

If it was about money, revenant wouldn't be a part of PoF. It's not about money, it's an oversight caused by disbanding guild team altogether.

@Haleydawn.3764 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

I agree.With the Windswept Haven being the newest guildhall, and PoF being a stand-alone expansion, guildhall bonuses being tied to owning HoT is backwards.Even owning HoT, you can’t mine the materials needed from the guild ore synth to make the Ornate Guild armor, because Tenebrous/Shimmering crystals are tied to a specific guild hall, rather than being a random drop now. Granted, you do get Obsidian Shards from WSH, but you can’t use them like the Crystals from the previous halls.It’s all just a big fat oversight and off putting.Any player, that can contribute to the Guild Treasury should be able to reap the benefits of the upgrades they earn, regardless of what expansion they own.

Boosts shouldnt require any expansions

@EdgarMTanaka.7291 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@phs.6089 said:

@"Zohane.7208" said:Guild halls were added as a part of HoT, hence they are part of HoT. Like all other HoT features, the services they supply are exclusive to accounts with HoT applied. If Guild hall services had been added with PoF, those services would have been PoF exclusive.I hope you know there is guild hall within desert and again only PoF owners raiding (that is HoT) just fine.

What does Revenant has to do with that? Not realy in to Raids but Laila said that you need HoT masteries and that does not include by having a Revenant now does it?

Their argumentation is "but guild enhancements were added with HoT". Well, so was revenant but you can get it with PoF only aswell. And gen2 legendaries, which are listed as HoT selling point on expansion page.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

I agree.With the Windswept Haven being the newest guildhall, and PoF being a stand-alone expansion, guildhall bonuses being tied to owning HoT is backwards.Even owning HoT, you can’t mine the materials needed from the guild ore synth to make the Ornate Guild armor, because Tenebrous/Shimmering crystals are tied to a specific guild hall, rather than being a random drop now. Granted, you do get Obsidian Shards from WSH, but you can’t use them like the Crystals from the previous halls.It’s all just a big fat oversight and off putting.Any player, that can contribute to the Guild Treasury should be able to reap the benefits of the upgrades they earn, regardless of what expansion they own.

Boosts shouldnt require any expansions

Thank you for reiterating my last paragraph. /s Core owners iirc can contribute to the treasury.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@phs.6089 said:

@"Zohane.7208" said:Guild halls were added as a part of HoT, hence they are part of HoT. Like all other HoT features, the services they supply are exclusive to accounts with HoT applied. If Guild hall services had been added with PoF, those services would have been PoF exclusive.I hope you know there is guild hall within desert and again only PoF owners raiding (that is HoT) just fine.

Their argumentation is "but guild enhancements were added with HoT". Well, so was revenant but you can get it with PoF only aswell. And gen2 legendaries, which are listed as HoT selling point on expansion page.

I guess it is to Laila to defend that claim but as I understod that response was that S/he only said that you can not do the raids without HoT masteries as a response to 'You can do the HoT raids without owning HoT.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind for every guild member to be able to use the buffs it gives the players another reason to stay in the game. Though I do not understand why someone wouldn't get HoT and PoF anyway after trying the game a few hours and find it awesome! :+1:

@EdgarMTanaka.7291 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@phs.6089 said:

I guess it is to Laila to defend that claim but as I understod that response was that S/he only said that you can not do the raids without HoT masteries as a response to 'You can do the HoT raids without owning HoT.

Your confusion may come from the fact that I originally quoted other poster and Laila joined with raid argument which is irrelevant here becasue both expansion have raid feature, just different wings.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@phs.6089 said:

Your confusion may come from the fact that I originally quoted other poster and Laila joined with raid argument which is irrelevant here becasue both expansion have raid feature, just different wings.

I see, my bad then. Sorry.

As someone who has both expansions, I agree that these guild boosts should not be treated as expansion content features (specifically hot).

Gating things like gliding, hot metas (and the daily hero's choice), raid wings, elite specs, map content, lw3 (which is very important), these are way more than enough to entice players to buy hot. More importantly, these are actual game content, playable, significant)

On the other hand, gating guild buffs is completely redundant, plays no part in enticing players to buy hot, and is actually a parsimonious annoyance that will turn off potential buyers.

Think about it: non-hot players can contribute as part of a guild towards a shared goal, yet cannot use them? That is a stupid marketing strategy. In fact, the whole neglect of development of the guild system for most content is short-sighted and stupid. It is in encouraging wide-ranging in-game community that will retain and entice new players.

I do, however, see the sense of locking this for completely free2play accounts. I don't really care about it, but it makes sense.

And, as a financially-secure working adult, I think the argument that each expansion is cheap and affordable (and therefore blabla) is just self-centered and childish. Everyone has their own circumstances. As for me, even though I can afford it, that doesn't mean I will give a single cent to a game unless I play it enough to ascertain that I can and will enjoy it, and wish to spend a commensurate amount as thanks for the game content. And one of the personal draw factors for me was things like account-wide unlocks for outfits, mountfits (tho I played before pof), easy access to transmutation charges, non-extremely-punitive system for minimal-spend players, etc. I have spent more on gw2 in my 1yr+ than I have for every other game I have ever played previously.

And I honestly agree that this is some detail that they overlooked or believe to be of low priority to fix or a non-issue, and I also agree that it should be fixed.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

You have a good point, this discussion shouldn't be about why guild buffs aren't there for PoF but rather why does PoF get Revenant when it's HoT content.Obviously it's too late to revert but that profession should have stayed exclusive to the 1st expac to keep things more consistent IMO.

Having guild features that are only part of one expansion, splits guilds over different expansions.That any generic guild features are only part of HoT, just doesn't make any sense from a player perspective.

First of all, those generic buffs and other such things were part of the core experience, they were the basis of guild progression.I understand that they may have shipped this with HoT. And that many features actually are only available within HoT through specific materials.

But to not make guild halls, or their respective features, where that make sense be able to use them is just very bad design.That you as a guildmember can donate your materials entirely into this and then NOT get the benefits? That's ridiculous. That's like spending your materials crafting a legendary weapon and not be able to use it because you didn't buy the respective expansion.

I have no idea what technical limitations are in place why it's not possible to share, (or why they designed it like that in the first place) but It really doesn't make sense to me.

I feel like they shouldn't bring out more guild halls if they want Guild halls as a HoT feature. No more new decorations if it's a HoT feature.In a way it's like they're still updating HoT but not the rest of the game. Why would you keep updating the game for only those who have HoT.

Archived