wvw survey

Sovereign.1093

@Gop.8713 said:

@Gop.8713 said:

@"XenesisII.1540" said:Most of those reasons are not even about "tanking", more like personal reasons to take a break. Tanking involves large amount of players not playing at the same time. The two more recent servers to "actually" tank were JQ when they wanted to open their server 4-6 months ago, and Mag when they wanted to leave tier one a year ago. The rest of the supposed tanking isn't really tanking when you can't compete in the first place because of imbalances.

I agree that almost none of the poll options have anything to do with tanking but I disagree with the idea that tanking isn't prevalent, and the reason is precisely that ppl do not want to compete, they want to farm . . .

If you play the game, your server is going to rise up through the tiers until it reaches a place where the fights are more even which means you're going to start losing. When you lose about as much as you win you've reached your server's natural place in the pecking order until your or another server starts to get better or worse. But ppl don't want to fight an even match, they just want to follow tag and get loots like they do in pve so they stop playing once the competition demands more than that :(

Some people continue to equate tier with skill, they are wrong.

Yeah that's a good point too, but equating coverage with tier is also a fallacy, it's just another factor along with skill and population etc. . . .

My point remains though, for the most part ppl in wvw aren't really looking for an even matchup . . .

No, you're just wrong.You can completely dominate in the timezone you play and still lose resoundingly. That is not tanking, that is having other kitten to do. That is losing to coverage.

WvW is completely the opposite of what you think, the only thing that determines your placement is the amount of nightcappers your server has.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Sovereign.1093 said:I wonder why people tank. Don't you want yo know why?what you think?

People in general, just want an easy win IMOSo they will resort to tanking to where they can get that much easier win. More loot bag farming etc.Thing is... is if a large enough group or guild group(s) pretty much quits for the week. That doesn't go unnoticed.Then it turns into the whole morality thing where some people who still do want to play... Do not feel like playing so much now because, they feel like they're doing all the work. While their server is basically doing crap. So it turns into more or less of a domino effect at that point.

@LetoII.3782 said:

@Gop.8713 said:

@Gop.8713 said:

@"XenesisII.1540" said:Most of those reasons are not even about "tanking", more like personal reasons to take a break. Tanking involves large amount of players not playing at the same time. The two more recent servers to "actually" tank were JQ when they wanted to open their server 4-6 months ago, and Mag when they wanted to leave tier one a year ago. The rest of the supposed tanking isn't really tanking when you can't compete in the first place because of imbalances.

I agree that almost none of the poll options have anything to do with tanking but I disagree with the idea that tanking isn't prevalent, and the reason is precisely that ppl do not want to compete, they want to farm . . .

If you play the game, your server is going to rise up through the tiers until it reaches a place where the fights are more even which means you're going to start losing. When you lose about as much as you win you've reached your server's natural place in the pecking order until your or another server starts to get better or worse. But ppl don't want to fight an even match, they just want to follow tag and get loots like they do in pve so they stop playing once the competition demands more than that :(

Some people continue to equate tier with skill, they are wrong.

Yeah that's a good point too, but equating coverage with tier is also a fallacy, it's just another factor along with skill and population etc. . . .

My point remains though, for the most part ppl in wvw aren't really looking for an even matchup . . .

No, you're just wrong.You can completely dominate in the timezone you play and still lose resoundingly. That is not tanking, that is having other kitten to do. That is losing to coverage.

WvW is completely the opposite of what you think, the only thing that determines your placement is the amount of nightcappers your server has.

lol thx I needed that. It's ppl like you that keep life entertaining :)

@Chaba.5410 said:

@Sovereign.1093 said:i feel that. tourneys were the best fun.

unofficial reason imo tourneys were stopped is because 2 v1 coordinated.

Server stacking killed tourneys. Having twice as many players as the other servers in your tier is unfair.

Server stacking killed tourneys. Having twice as many players as the other servers in your tier is unfair.

could be but last tourney all servers were stacked.and it was.never.an issue

So you're saying that, for example the free transfers to HoD that stacked it to gold division level while it was stuck in silver, was never an issue. LOL.

hehe ya. =) when all has number

it is a mixture or mind games. players got brainwashed to play based on popular opinion & afraid to try. players are not really as good as they think they are and when tested in the fights, lose moral like pve npc.

Most players come to WvW expecting to get easilly carried with anything that thay think it is the right and more popylar spam build for pve, while WvW has its own way to carry the badies just need to adapt and play what anet designs broken in stack.

I don't know if poll can be edited, but if could be, I would vote on:bored to death of ktrain, want challenging fights only

As it is "tanking" is not really tanking, but the server setting a target for where to be next week, which matchup, and do whatever they can to end there. Everyone wants out of T4 and most wants out of T1, T2-T3 is where the "fights" are (well, sometimes, maybe) and is the promised land to be.I don't see a bright future for WvW (despite alliance changes, that changes nothing in scoring), if this PvE capture and avoid fights leads to "win" are kept. There is a huge disconnect between those who

1. just want to PPT (love capturing and sometimes defending with siege)
  2. want just fights (challenging but doable, not to win the fight, but last enough so they can feel as getting better players)
  3. wish for a "compromise", those who love capturing, but want it to be hard fought at each step, so those fights get a meaning

Any RvR that can't please at least the 3rd category, will offer gameplay only for the 1st kind of players. The rest will log in, observe that "is nothing to play here" and log out. That's why you can see huge spikes of activity from certain servers in certain hours, because something else is going on than ktrain. A game played like this will constantly lose players and in WvW the players are the content -- once they are gone, game is over.

@LetoII.3782 said:Why wait a month?36 responses seems adequate to reach your sought-after conclusion.

for you. =) not for me.> @"Tiawal.2351" said:

I don't know if poll can be edited, but if could be, I would vote on:bored to death of ktrain, want challenging fights only

As it is "tanking" is not really tanking, but the server setting a target for where to be next week, which matchup, and do whatever they can to end there. Everyone wants out of T4 and most wants out of T1, T2-T3 is where the "fights" are (well, sometimes, maybe) and is the promised land to be.I don't see a bright future for WvW (despite alliance changes, that changes nothing in scoring), if this PvE capture and avoid fights leads to "win" are kept. There is a huge disconnect between those who

1. just want to PPT (love capturing and sometimes defending with siege)
  2. want just fights (challenging but doable, not to win the fight, but last enough so they can feel as getting better players)
  3. wish for a "compromise", those who love capturing, but want it to be hard fought at each step, so those fights get a meaning

Any RvR that can't please at least the 3rd category, will offer gameplay only for the 1st kind of players. The rest will log in, observe that "is nothing to play here" and log out. That's why you can see huge spikes of activity from certain servers in certain hours, because something else is going on than ktrain. A game played like this will constantly lose players and in WvW the players are the content -- once they are gone, game is over.

mmm =) good point

@"Sovereign.1093" said:by the end of 1 month, we can gauge the reason or what prople think is the reason.

Not really, not with a "non-scientific" poll. The only result of self-selected polling will be confirmation bias.

I honestly wish the polling function wasn't even available on this forum. Haven't seen anyone write a good poll yet. Answers always seem to be a reflection of the OP's personal assumptions, not what anyone actually thinks. Why not just make a regular topic on tanking and what you think are the reasons people tank? You'd get much more insightful discussion when you allow people to create their own answers.

Snuf Worgens Snuffle

I'm sorry, what was this poll about again? You derailed your own thread by putting in some silly poll options, mate. But you did make me think of Cata and wonder what raiding in that expansion would have been like if I'd been sober.

I wonder if Zog ever tags sober? :confounded: Poor TORK.

All these replies and no mention of 1u1d? Tanking existed during the glicko system, but it was far less common. With 1u1d in place tanking is a week to week concern since you can predict the match-ups in the future with good accuracy and thus decide which future match-up you want.

1st gets you matched against servers A and B. 2nd gets you matched against servers C and D. 3rd gets you matched against servers E and F. "Winning" gets you nothing at all. It is all about selecting the opponents you want to face.

There are a lot of people who think they are fight guilds. Really they are just bag guilds. Essentially what happens is that some servers to play to win. They only fight when they have the advantage. The bag guilds then say they want to drop to find better fights. Rinse and repeat.

Some people spent most of the game in tiers that no longer exist, they were commonly known as Wood Leaguers. While they claimed they were roamers and into small fights, they secretly dreamed of making it to the higher tiers. Now that most of the commonly higher ranked servers have realised the benefits of tier mobility the Wood Leaguers have their chance..

But what are they missing?

Why all the indifference?

How could their holy Grail seem so tarnished to the veterans?

Everyone else must mad they finally made it.

@Sovereign.1093 said:

could be but last tourney all servers were stacked.and it was.never.an issue

First tourney killed SoR, more an issue of being able to stack/transfer (zds moving to black gate after they lost first week to SoR :anguished: ).

Cool idea but poorly implemented since they have done such a horrible job of maintaining stability in the various tiers. Probably wouldn’t matter anymore as the damage has already been done.

mmm 1u1d was what everyone wanted since tanking to open was the issue then too.

mmm why did is not add kdr into the choices before. ex. maguuma now.

so far the more popular reason is morale of players. i wonder if this will remain consistent until the end of the month.

Tired of the class imbalance .The current Meta is a prime example of what happens when classes get so imbalance that some are locked out game play because no one whats your class or build around.People say "well just play a different class" .I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO if the classes were balanced .I should be able to play what I want with whatever reasonable build I want and still be a benefit to the group. But that's not the case and hasn't been since day one .I'm tired of being told every day to play a different class .I never proclaim to be the best player ever but I would like a little acknowledgment that I play for fun .But it's just no fun anymore.I'm tired of the power creep. Now we're at the point of single shot kills. I'm tired of the completely skill less condition cancer that has infested game play.I'm tired of updates that destroys whats working and mediocre fixes for whats still completely useless .I'm tired of massive Ktrains and bag farming blobs.I'm tired of not being allowed in raids ,dungeon runs or fractal runs because of an unfounded perception that what i'm playing may not contribute.There has been many reasonable suggestions by many intelligent people ,put up of this forum addressing these and many other concerns , yet they seem to fall on deaf ears and blind eyes.

If tanking refers to lack of interest to defend and likewise PPT, then, I think it is the first option. The popular will of the server decide if the server tank or not tank, if the server decide that hanging around in ebg is more important than defending their BL, then, the PPT will show as such. There are quite a number of severs with obvious numbers but lack the PPT.

About popular will

Archived