Jump to content
  • Sign Up

suggestion: anet should collaborate with Mattel (Scrabble)


Recommended Posts

ok so am prob the only one in this entire game who is super addicted to scrabble... its like my most fav board game ever. the other day i was like... "omg am gonna get a bingo for the word, 'traited'" but then scrabble dictionary rejected it :'( :cry:

so i thought how awesome would it be if anet collaborated with Mattel and release a GW2 version of Scrabble? sort of like there are Klingon Scrabble etc.

Like the vocabulary would be awesome e.g. being joko, palawadan, traited, chrono, CA, wvw, sic em, etc...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just print out a list of related words and keep it with your dictionary. Agree with your opponents that those words are allowed. Joko and Palawadan are proper nouns, so should not be allowed, but you can make whatever exceptions you like as long as all players agree.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@costepj.5120 said:Just print out a list of related words and keep it with your dictionary. Agree with your opponents that those words are allowed. Joko and Palawadan are proper nouns, so should not be allowed, but you can make whatever exceptions you like as long as all players agree.

???Ken is a proper noun and it's allowed in original Scrabble... (unless there are some other meanings of Ken i'm not aware of) O___o

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

I am pretty sure costs are much bigger than possible gain for anet and mattel from this.

i swear to god, some ppl... all they care about is profit. y'know there are some ppl in this world who make/create things for the artistry and for entertaining others. like the creator of gw2 (whoever it is... am sure it's not mike obrien or whatever) is like super rich right now and can retire and live the rest of his/her life work-free... but they continue to make expansions to entertain other ppl and to continue to story of ascalon.

some of us make things for artistry... it's not about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ all the time... jesus.

u think michelangelo made that naked male statue to become a millionaire??? eff NO. he made it cuz he appreciated the male form... etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some words match proper nouns but have other meanings. To ken something is to know it or perceive it, mostly used in Scotland.John is a proper noun, but can also mean a toilet in the US.Etc.

From the official Scrabble rules:Accepted Scrabble WordsAny word that is found in a standard English dictionary can be used in the game of Scrabble. There are also Official Scrabble Dictionaries that can be purchased for more word options.There are some words that are not allowed to be played and these include suffixes, prefixes and abbreviations. Any word that requires the use of a hyphen or apostrophe cannot be played in the game. Any word that required the use of a capital letter is not allowed.When playing an English version of the game, foreign words are not allowed to be placed on the board. However, if the foreign word does appear in a standard English dictionary, it is allowed. The reason for this is due to the fact that the word is spoken enough and is considered part of the English language.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

I am pretty sure costs are much bigger than possible gain for anet and mattel from this.

i swear to god, some ppl... all they care about is profit.

Anet and Mattel are companies. They are motivated by profit
exclusively.

not always, wasn't it just few months ago anet donated $2000 (or more don't remember) to some charity for sick kids or something (maybe another group can't remember).i thought that was nice of them.

and it literally wouldn't even take $2000 to make a GW2 Scrabble... if anet wants it, i'll do it for them for free. they just have to cover the publishing costs of the board/dictionaries and split the cost with mattel

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Samnang.1879 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

I am pretty sure costs are much bigger than possible gain for anet and mattel from this.

i swear to god, some ppl... all they care about is profit.

Anet and Mattel are companies. They are motivated by profit
exclusively.

not always, wasn't it just few months ago anet donated $2000 (or more don't remember) to some charity for sick kids or something (maybe another group can't remember).i thought that was nice of them

Creating positive PR is part of generating more profit through word of mouth.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@"Samnang.1879" said:..........i swear to god, some ppl... all they care about is profit. y'know there are some ppl in this world who make/create things for the artistry and for entertaining others. like the creator of gw2 (whoever it is... am sure it's not mike obrien or whatever) is like super rich right now and can retire and live the rest of his/her life work-free... ...........

self-correction: apparently Mr o'brien is one of the founders of gw2 xDDDDDDDDDDDDDD . i thought he's like the main director that was hired by the creators.

he looks kinda hot in this profile pic on the wiki, not gonna lie

0tfObsp.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

I am pretty sure costs are much bigger than possible gain for anet and mattel from this.

i swear to god, some ppl... all they care about is profit.

Anet and Mattel are companies. They are motivated by profit
exclusively.

not always, wasn't it just few months ago anet donated $2000 (or more don't remember) to some charity for sick kids or something (maybe another group can't remember).i thought that was nice of them

Creating positive PR is part of generating more profit through word of mouth.

thats so self-contradictory. and collaborating with mattel would not bring publicity? O_____o.... you know how popular scrabble is?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anet are currently working in collaboration with a fan site (or several fan sites?) on a deck of Tarot cards, and of course they've got the whole fan art merchandise website up, so other collaborations and spin-off products aren't out of the question.

The tricky part, if Scrabble is still under copyright, would be getting permission from the owners of the game. They almost certainly would want to see some profit from it, if only in the form of someone (likely Anet) paying a fee to use their product. I have no idea how that works, whether Anet would have to contact them and work out a deal or if someone could get permission from Anet to design it and then go to Mattel themselves to get permission from them too. But I'm sure there are people out there who know how these things are done, it's just not something I've ever had to do myself.

@Samnang.1879 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

I am pretty sure costs are much bigger than possible gain for anet and mattel from this.

i swear to god, some ppl... all they care about is profit. y'know there are some ppl in this world who make/create things for the artistry and for entertaining others. like the creator of gw2 (whoever it is... am sure it's not mike obrien or whatever) is like super rich right now and can retire and live the rest of his/her life work-free... but they continue to make expansions to entertain other ppl and to continue to story of ascalon.

some of us make things for artistry... it's not about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ all the time... jesus.

u think michelangelo made that naked male statue to become a millionaire??? eff NO. he made it cuz he appreciated the male form... etc.

Actually Mike O'Brien is the creator of GW2. He and 2 other people (Patrick Wyatt and Jeff Strain) quit Blizzard early in the development of WoW to pursue their own ideas about how an MMO could be created and run. They founded Arenanet, created GW1 and later GW2 (although I think the other two had left by then). Of course a lot of other people have been involved. I doubt he's "super rich" although I'm sure he gets a decent salary from Anet, and as a general rule people who do things for the love of it don't tend to retire as soon as they have enough money...they keep doing it because they like it.

(Also at the risk of disappointing you Michelangelo's David was a commission - he was hired to create it as decoration for a cathedral.)

Sadly it's rarely as simple as people doing things for free because they love it or doing it for money because they're greedy kittens who don't care about anything else. I love my job and I think the work my employer does is very important. But I can't work for free out of love of the cause because I have to buy food, pay rent and all those other things and need money to do it, and don't have time to do something else for money in addition to my job.

It's the same for Anet and Mattel. They might both love the idea of making a GW2 Scrabble game, but people at both companies would have to spend their time making it happen and they need to be paid for that time in order to buy food and other things they need to live. That money has to come from somewhere. The obvious and well established method is for the people who are going to use and enjoy the end product to pay for it. But that's risky - you have to do all the work before you have any chance of being paid for it, if it falls through and no one buys it you've lost all the money paid to the people who made it. A company can maybe afford to do that occasionally, but only if other things they make earn even more than they cost to make. So ideally they need to be sure when they start that enough people are going to pay for it to cover the cost, and ideally a bit more so they have money to put towards other new products in future.

There are other options, like a wealthy donor providing the money to make it happen, but that's pretty rare and unlikely.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Samnang.1879 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

I am pretty sure costs are much bigger than possible gain for anet and mattel from this.

i swear to god, some ppl... all they care about is profit.

Anet and Mattel are companies. They are motivated by profit
exclusively.

not always, wasn't it just few months ago anet donated $2000 (or more don't remember) to some charity for sick kids or something (maybe another group can't remember).i thought that was nice of them

Creating positive PR is part of generating more profit through word of mouth.

thats so self-contradictory. and collaborating with mattel would not bring publicity? O_____o.... you know how popular scrabble is?

The production and licensing would cost too much considering lack of relevance or recognition of GW2 franchise on the market.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@"costepj.5120" said:Why would you need to spend any money on this? There is absolutely no need to change the Scrabble board, all you are talking about is an addendum to the dictionary. You could create/distribute that for free.

honey, nothing in life is free.

like i want a board like this, but with GW2 dragons asuran sylvari or whatever on the board

KXe5zhS.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@"costepj.5120" said:Some words match proper nouns but have other meanings. To ken something is to know it or perceive it, mostly used in Scotland.John is a proper noun, but can also mean a toilet in the US.Etc.

From the official Scrabble rules:Accepted Scrabble WordsAny word that is found in a standard English dictionary can be used in the game of Scrabble. There are also Official Scrabble Dictionaries that can be purchased for more word options.There are some words that are not allowed to be played and these include suffixes, prefixes and abbreviations. Any word that requires the use of a hyphen or apostrophe cannot be played in the game. Any word that required the use of a capital letter is not allowed.When playing an English version of the game, foreign words are not allowed to be placed on the board. However, if the foreign word does appear in a standard English dictionary, it is allowed. The reason for this is due to the fact that the word is spoken enough and is considered part of the English language.

honey, it's called GW2 scrabble for a reason... we use gw2 terminologies...

rules in the original scrabble would not apply to a modified version... otherwise there wouldn't be any star trek, chinese scrabble etc... since these all break the last rule you mentioned "NO FOREIGN words"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Samnang.1879 said:

@"costepj.5120" said:Why would you need to spend any money on this? There is absolutely no need to change the Scrabble board, all you are talking about is an addendum to the dictionary. You could create/distribute that for free.

honey, nothing in life is free.

like i want a board like this, but with GW2 dragons asuran sylvari or whatever on the board

KXe5zhS.jpg

You can design and print it yourself or at print studio (or whatever they are called in your country).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:You can design and print it yourself or at print studio (or whatever they are called in your country).

...the thing is i want an official souvenir from ANET... not make my own thing. it's like u like a music artist, u can burn the cd and print cover for urself and pretend u have the cd... but it doesn't feel genuine/real.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Samnang.1879 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:You can design and print it yourself or at print studio (or whatever they are called in your country).

...the thing is i want an official souvenir from ANET... not make my own thing. it's like u like a music artist, u can burn the cd and print cover for urself and pretend u have the cd... but it doesn't feel genuine/real.

emmm... okay, good luck then, I'm sure Anet is already discussing the plan how deliver to your demands

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:You can design and print it yourself or at print studio (or whatever they are called in your country).

...the thing is i want an official souvenir from ANET... not make my own thing. it's like u like a music artist, u can burn the cd and print cover for urself and pretend u have the cd... but it doesn't feel genuine/real.

emmm... okay, good luck then, I'm sure Anet is already discussing the plan how deliver to your demands

am not worried about anet. worried about mattel... they seem like a snobby company... and gw2 is not as popular as star trek or wow...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Samnang.1879 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

I am pretty sure costs are much bigger than possible gain for anet and mattel from this.

i swear to god, some ppl... all they care about is profit.

Anet and Mattel are companies. They are motivated by profit
exclusively.

not always, wasn't it just few months ago anet donated $2000 (or more don't remember) to some charity for sick kids or something (maybe another group can't remember).i thought that was nice of them.

and it literally wouldn't even take $2000 to make a GW2 Scrabble... if anet wants it, i'll do it for them for free. they just have to cover the publishing costs of the board/dictionaries and split the cost with mattel

You mean the same company that increased quarterly earnings by +200% and still deliver irrelevant and subpar content?The same company that spent an entire patch fixing underwater, which is <2% of the entirety of GW2 content?

Idk.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@"Samnang.1879" said:ok so am prob the only one in this entire game who is super addicted to scrabble... its like my most fav board game ever. the other day i was like... "omg am gonna get a bingo for the word, 'traited'" but then scrabble dictionary rejected it :'( :cry:

so i thought how awesome would it be if anet collaborated with Mattel and release a GW2 version of Scrabble? sort of like there are Klingon Scrabble etc.

Like the vocabulary would be awesome e.g. being joko, palawadan, traited, chrono, CA, wvw, sic em, etc...

I don't understand how this is different from playing normal Scrabble with your own rules. Would the letter distribution need to be different? Would the tiles be in New Krytan? Would chrono and wvw be allowed even though they're abbreviations?

Also, maybe I'm being stupid, but what is CA?

@costepj.5120 said:Any word that required the use of a capital letter is not allowed.

I love the way they've worded this, since every letter on the Scrabble tiles is a capital!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Tommo Chocolate.5870 said:

@"Samnang.1879" said:ok so am prob the only one in this entire game who is super addicted to scrabble... its like my most fav board game ever. the other day i was like... "omg am gonna get a bingo for the word, 'traited'" but then scrabble dictionary rejected it :'( :cry:

so i thought how awesome would it be if anet collaborated with Mattel and release a GW2 version of Scrabble? sort of like there are Klingon Scrabble etc.

Like the vocabulary would be awesome e.g. being joko, palawadan, traited, chrono, CA, wvw, sic em, etc...

I don't understand how this is different from playing normal Scrabble with your own rules. Would the letter distribution need to be different? Would the tiles be in
? Would chrono and wvw be allowed even though they're abbreviations?

Also, maybe I'm being stupid, but what is CA?

the point of having a themed scrabble is that you can only use words from that theme... u can't use english anymore. so u can use abbrev. and phrases like sic em (blank tiles for spaces). common terms used in gw2 by players... thats what makes it special about themed Scrabble.

CA = celestial avatar and it's very commonly used, so are lfg, lfm, there are so many terminologies in wvw too like ganking, treb, downs, cata etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@DakotaCoty.5721 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

I am pretty sure costs are much bigger than possible gain for anet and mattel from this.

i swear to god, some ppl... all they care about is profit.

Anet and Mattel are companies. They are motivated by profit
exclusively.

not always, wasn't it just few months ago anet donated $2000 (or more don't remember) to some charity for sick kids or something (maybe another group can't remember).i thought that was nice of them.

and it literally wouldn't even take $2000 to make a GW2 Scrabble... if anet wants it, i'll do it for them for free. they just have to cover the publishing costs of the board/dictionaries and split the cost with mattel

You mean the same company that increased quarterly earnings by +200% and still deliver
~
~~~ and subpar content?The same company that spent an entire patch fixing underwater, which is <2% of the entirety of GW2 content?

Idk.

agreed if u only pvp/wvw...but for pver like me... i love living story episodes lol...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...