Besides instant revealed when dodging with rifle with silent scope selected, there is another bug

Sandling.3648

Days before I submitted that with the silent scope trait selected, sometimes you'll get instantly revealed in the middle of dodge roll, but the new bug is that when I didn't select the silent scope trait, first I used one skill such as blinding powder to make myself became stealth, but then when I tried to use another skill like shadow gust or shadow meld, I got instantly revealed. I think both of these bugs have the same triggering mechanic cause for the first bug, it often happens when you trying to do the second dodge roll.

The Silent scope thing isn't really a bug, is it? It's just rifles' slow attacks hitting target during your dodge roll. It's obviously a problem, but not really a bug.

The second issue is a bug that's been in game for as long as I can remember. Certain stealth attacks like Shadow Gust, Hidden Thief, Mesmer's Signet of Midnight, and more I'm sure (but only a small percentage of stealth attacks) will trigger auto attack to go off after stealthing you if you have weapon auto attack turned on.

Turn all forms of auto attack off and it will solve a majority of your problems.

@"Madisonlee.9641" said:The Silent scope thing isn't really a bug, is it? It's just rifles' slow attacks hitting target during your dodge roll. It's obviously a problem, but not really a bug.

The second issue is a bug that's been in game for as long as I can remember. Certain stealth attacks like Shadow Gust, Hidden Thief, Mesmer's Signet of Midnight, and more I'm sure (but only a small percentage of stealth attacks) will trigger auto attack to go off after stealthing you if you have weapon auto attack turned on.

Turn all forms of auto attack off and it will solve a majority of your problems.

Eeeh... No? Check vid, see that it is clearly bugged (it is about silent scope, still this bug is not the one mentioned by author)

@AfroMetal.5394 said:

@"Madisonlee.9641" said:The Silent scope thing isn't really a bug, is it? It's just rifles' slow attacks hitting target during your dodge roll. It's obviously a problem, but not really a bug.

Eeeh... No? Check vid, see that it is clearly bugged (it is about silent scope, still this bug is not the one mentioned by author)

This video needs more attention tbh

Yeah I saw that video but that doesn't happen to me in the spvp lobby, maybe it's different for game modes? That vid is definitely a bug, which shouldn't be confused with the auto attack being slow and revealing you issue.( lol we have a lot of issues huh) In game it always happens that my auto attack or other rifle attack land during my dodge roll and auto reveal me. I can literally see it happen like that every time.

@Jugglemonkey.8741 said:Shadow gust has a damage component, it should reveal you. Shadow meld is another issue tho.

This is excellent advice as well, if you still have auto attack on disable it, and bind 1 to a mouse button or something like that.

Shadow gust will reveal you with it's damage component if you use it improperly, but that is not the bug. The bug is if you use shadow gust it will fire off an auto attack if you have auto attack turned on and are targeting something, the bug is that it fires off a random auto attack when it shouldn't, which reveals you AFTER you've stealthed.

@Madisonlee.9641 said:Yeah I saw that video but that doesn't happen to me in the spvp lobby, maybe it's different for game modes? That vid is definitely a bug, which shouldn't be confused with the auto attack being slow and revealing you issue.( lol we have a lot of issues huh) In game it always happens that my auto attack or other rifle attack land during my dodge roll and auto reveal me. I can literally see it happen like that every time.

@Jugglemonkey.8741 said:Shadow gust has a damage component, it should reveal you. Shadow meld is another issue tho.

This is excellent advice as well, if you still have auto attack on disable it, and bind 1 to a mouse button or something like that.

Shadow gust will reveal you with it's damage component if you use it improperly, but that is not the bug. The bug is if you use shadow gust it will fire off an auto attack if you have auto attack turned on and are targeting something, the bug is that it fires off a random auto attack when it shouldn't, which reveals you AFTER you've stealthed.

Ah, this is something that happens with utility skills in general, I noticed this with signets some time ago which is what made me disable auto attack (that and the confusion buff a few years ago). It's been coded that way for some time.

@Legatus.3608 said:

This video needs more attention tbh

I actually see whats happening its not a bug.Look at the stealth skill for DJ just as the character dodges

It actually tries to fire diespite you not committing to to it regardless if you are manually canceling it or not or if its just auto partially casting on its own you can see the effect flash start up on the skill icon as if trying to cast the skill.

Deaths Judgment actually applies revealed to you the moment and i mean any moment you start to cast it. Unlike other stealth attacks which dont apply revealed until you deal the damage this skill applies revealed to the caster at the start of the cast (Regardless if you finish casting the skill or not ) To prevent using it several times in stealth in a row and so that you dont have multiple chances to fire it provided your foe dodges it the first time. It leaves you open for potential counter play

Anet can solve this in 1 of 2 ways.

• 1 Remove the reveal from DJ but also remove the unblockable feature from it. If you can fire it off with more than 1 attempt form stealth it needs to have some more counter play so it should be able to be blocked / reflected etc.
  • 2 The 2nd option is to rewrite the code so that the reveal is applied at the end of the cast (just as the projectile leaves the riffle) and leave it as is.

But anet cannot remove the reveal from this skill without at least making it block-able as having several chances to fire it from stealth without being revealed would be pushing limits to its counter play potential

Well obviously it should apply revealed at the moment the projectile is created, not at the start of the cast. I don't think there's really room for debate on that one and I don't know how it got through the cracks.

Actually I wonder if the proper implementation would be to apply revealed when the damage occurs, ie if the target were to dodge or los why is it applying revealed? Is this common across all builds and skills and classes?

Iirc stealth was always removed when you applied damage to an enemy not when you USE a skill, (see backstab) so I'm not sure why this was built this way. Do the other rifle skills also reveal upon activation? Does a mesmer get revealed when they throw a great sword from stealth? Maybe it's only melee skills that can attack without revealing if they miss.

Archived