Meta Griefing

After every Chak Gerent and Octovine there's a person or people that try and screw over others after the meta. They place merchants, feasts, and other interactables on the chests at the end of each meta. It's gotten to the point where it's happening at every time slot now.

Why is Arenanet allowing this with their systems? I know it's an oversight, and they wouldn't condone it, but they're allowing it and not giving us any option to do anything. I try and tell the frustrated players on the maps to just double click the chests, but why should they have to? I don't understand why there simply isn't a priority list for interactables where nodes, and chests are always first.

And if you think this is a big deal over losing one chest, you haven't seen what's happening. On Auric Basin it's slightly better, but maybe worse since they're targeting a much better chest. However, on Tangled Depths they're doing every chest since there's not as many. The other thing happening in TD that at least is avoidable is a mesmer putting a portal on the first chest that kills you if you don't deploy your glider. Now if you still think this isn't a problem I'll remind you that there's an interactable that starts a cutscene, and just by calling attention to any of this might cause a huge surge in the people doing it. That's not what I want, but it's unavoidable when talking about issues like these.

5dZth75.jpg

Arenanet please fix this mess!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's two fixes I can think of. Either putting a priority list on what you interact with which should be easy, or an aoe on nodes and chests where other things can't be used or placed near them. People can walk 3 steps to use a trading post away from a node, and it won't hurt them.

That is if the second option is even remotely possible.

But also both being put in would be nice.

@Laila Lightness.8742 said:Sadly this is not a technical problem if they remove this trolls will find other ways to do it(maybe reduce drop rate on expresses(normal ones) would reduce this since less sources of items)

The merchant/feast drops aren't the problem. OP, you can target the chest to prioritize them over anything else within interaction range.What Anet could (and should think about doing) is giving a deadzone range for chests/vendors/merchants/TPs etc so nothing else can be spawned on top. But, there will always be 1 person who complains the range isn't big enough.

@Haleydawn.3764 said:

@Laila Lightness.8742 said:Sadly this is not a technical problem if they remove this trolls will find other ways to do it(maybe reduce drop rate on expresses(normal ones) would reduce this since less sources of items)

The merchant/feast drops aren't the problem. OP, you can target the chest to prioritize them over anything else within interaction range.What Anet could (and should think about doing) is giving a deadzone range for chests/vendors/merchants/TPs etc so
nothing else
can be spawned on top. But, there will always be 1 person who complains the range isn't big enough.

One person complaining about that is a lot different than the current game where nothing is in place.

@MoarChaos.8320 said:

The merchant/feast drops aren't the problem. OP, you can target the chest to prioritize them over anything else within interaction range.What Anet could (and should think about doing) is giving a deadzone range for chests/vendors/merchants/TPs etc so
nothing else
can be spawned on top. But, there will always be 1 person who complains the range isn't big enough.

One person complaining about that is a lot different than the current game where nothing is in place.

Well there is the 'target takes priority' thing. So target what you want to interact with. I'm not condoning the actions of trolls, I'm saying there's an obvious work around already.

@Haleydawn.3764 said:

@"Laila Lightness.8742" said:Sadly this is not a technical problem if they remove this trolls will find other ways to do it(maybe reduce drop rate on expresses(normal ones) would reduce this since less sources of items)

nothing else

Well there is the 'target takes priority' thing. So target what you want to interact with. I'm not condoning the actions of trolls, I'm saying there's an obvious work around already.

"I try and tell the frustrated players on the maps to just double click the chests, but why should they have to?"

@MoarChaos.8320 said:

@"Laila Lightness.8742" said:Sadly this is not a technical problem if they remove this trolls will find other ways to do it(maybe reduce drop rate on expresses(normal ones) would reduce this since less sources of items)

nothing else

"I try and tell the frustrated players on the maps to just double click the chests, but why should they have to?"

I love how you skip over the part where I agree with you, but get the hump because I throw out the obvious workaround. #logic

@Endless Soul.5178 said:

@Goettel.4389 said:Not saying it's not true, but I've been grinding VB/AB/TD/DS for more than a year and I've never had this problem.

Really? That's interesting, because I've been doing the same thing and I see what op is talking about
all the time
.Not at the game right now, but a possible explanation is you can tab-target passed anything on top of a chest (can you?), so maybe I've seen it but it's never prevented me from opening any. But really, I haven't seen this, and I put an average of 2-3 hours a day in the HoT metas.

@MoarChaos.8320 said:

nothing else

"I have a problem and the power to fix it but I am angry so I can't"

What?

@"Blocki.4931" "Reading comprehension is the ability to process text, understand its meaning, and to integrate it with what the reader already knows. An individual's ability to comprehend text is influenced by their skills and their ability to process information." -Google

The subject of the line you quoted is another player, and I tell them presumably in game to "double click the chests", then I go back to the reader on the forums and ask "but why should they have to?". This is done to emphasize that there's a problem that should be solved. It draws parallels with other updates we've had such as the salvage kit update. There were slight work arounds you could do to make salvaging easier, but ultimately it was an archaic system that everyone was glad it was changed.

@Goettel.4389 said:Not at the game right now, but a possible explanation is you can tab-target passed anything on top of a chest (can you?), so maybe I've seen it but it's never prevented me from opening any. But really, I haven't seen this, and I put an average of 2-3 hours a day in the HoT metas.Well tab doesn't work, not sure why I haven't seen this kind of grieving.

I see it all the time. Sometimes it so many items that you can barely target the chest you're trying to interact with. Anet just needs to impose a dead zone that makes it impossible for any player spawned item to show up near a chest, bank, merchant, etc.

As i posted in a previous thread i do not understand why they just don't add "dropped by so & so courtesy of blank guild" just like they have on banners. This should be done for all items that could be dropped so that people can at the very least identify the slack jawed troglodytes that do this thinking it's funny and report them. Most of this would go away if the culprits were identified because frankly anonymity is why a lot of this happens because there is no possible repercussion. The tech exists and this would be the quickest solution to the problem in my opinion.As far as people saying it doesn't happen often I've experienced this almost every 2nd time i do Auric Basin meta event and almost daily at the Royal Terrace bank.

@Goettel.4389 said:

@Goettel.4389 said:Not at the game right now, but a possible explanation is you can tab-target passed anything on top of a chest (can you?), so maybe I've seen it but it's never prevented me from opening any. But really, I haven't seen this, and I put an average of 2-3 hours a day in the HoT metas.Well tab doesn't work, not sure why I haven't seen this kind of grieving.

To be fair, I usually see it at the chests after Octovine and Chak Gherent. Saw it at both Octovines I attended yesterday. If you're not seeing them, then consider yourself lucky! :)

Archived