Worst matchmaking I've ever seen.

It's just ridiculous! I lost match a few minutes ago...Why? Cause Mesmer told us since the start that he wants to see war and necro and not useless ele and "pewpew" rangers. "Relog or I will afk' and he stood afk all the game. Then he PMed me after the match and told about how bad we were with zero rotation, teamplay etc. etc. Ofc he saw it all from the base and with minimap only.

Why you, Arena.net, even pretend that you do something with balance and matchmaking, that you have some system at all, that you fix something or else? I don't know any game with such a bad matchmaking system. I had afk-players before many times. "Reported-blocked". Ye, but it doesn't work at GW2 cause you can meet the same afk-player from the previous match at the new one. I had such a situation not a single time.

Right now I have 7 loses and 3 wins at matches history. Is it your 50/50?

Last time I took a break for GW2 for 3 weeks. I've backed only this week. I want to play all modes that I like and it includes PvP. But...Why I try hard to get Platinum so then I drop it cause some afk players/ gold players that run 4 men-stack around the map or to close or else etc. Why? I like LS4 but let be honest - we have very very little content. New map, new story and that's it. One fractal/raid once per 6 months. It's sound like a joke. And we don't have any guild's updates, PvP updates(besides nonsense balance patches once per 3-4 months), WvW updates, new festivals and many other game modes.

I just don't know what to do... I like GW2 but I can't split my reaction between modes. I don't want to support such a company that doesn't care and still pretends that they 'do so much'.I want to play PvP. I'm not a super pro or even pro. I would be glad to my 50/50 wins/loses. I'm trying my best and learn new tricks. I want to end a season with platinum cause I have a feeling that I'm appropriate for at least 1 tier of that. But I can't do it. All my last seasons I started with gold 3 and ended with gold 1 cause I had lose-streaks like 5 loses-1 win- 6 loses - 1 win etc. And still, all those seasons I got platinum 1. Did someone carry me? I really doubt.

I've never written on Reddit or here before(except one message at the thread about matchmaking) and I think that this post will be pointless anyway. You, guys, just don't care and you proved it many and many times. And in the end, I will drop the game for 6-8 months again(like I did several times) to then return with positive memories only till next huge disappointments.

People who afk has nothing to do with Matchmaking.

Blocking people shouldn't prevent them getting in your match as it would just be exploited - block people who you know will beat you.

Don't be made just because you can't make it to Plat 1 where "you think you belong".

Matchmaking isn't great, but it's as good as it can be with a small population. Player toxicity is something completely different.

@"Meteor.3720" said:People who afk has nothing to do with Matchmaking.Blocking people shouldn't prevent them getting in your match as it would just be exploited - block people who you know will beat you.

It should not be possible to exclude player from a match: It should be possible, however, to exclude a player from "your" team by blocking him/her. let him play for the other team and all :)

I think that would satisfy original poster, and in the long run - toxic players would start to reign in their behaviour. ( Low population would actually help with this one - once queue time starts going over 5 minutes, trolls would have to weight pros/cons of flaming and throwing matches) Best thing for Anet - company did not exclude a single person, other players did. Lessens the burden on monitoring team.

@Arioch.4810 said:

@"Meteor.3720" said:People who afk has nothing to do with Matchmaking.Blocking people shouldn't prevent them getting in your match as it would just be exploited - block people who you know will beat you.

It should not be possible to exclude player from a match: It should be possible, however, to exclude a player from "your" team by blocking him/her. let him play for the other team and all :)

I think that would satisfy original poster, and in the long run - toxic players would start to reign in their behaviour. ( Low population would actually help with this one - once queue time starts going over 5 minutes, trolls would have to weight pros/cons of flaming and throwing matches) Best thing for Anet - company did not exclude a single person, other players did. Lessens the burden on monitoring team.

Terrible idea. You just block people who in your eyes played poorly, shifting blame.

THEN matchmaking would be fucked, because you wouldn't get matched with anybody in the limited player pool anyway or worst case: You get people far below your rating on your team because there aren't enough other people around

@Blocki.4931 said:

Terrible idea. You just block people who in your eyes played poorly, shifting blame.

THEN matchmaking would be kitten, because you wouldn't get matched with anybody in the limited player pool anyway or worst case: You get people far below your rating on your team because there aren't enough other people around

If you can't get in a match because you have blocked too many people isn't that a problem you made?

@"Blocki.4931" said:

Terrible idea. You just block people who in your eyes played poorly, shifting blame.THEN matchmaking would be kitten, because you wouldn't get matched with anybody in the limited player pool anyway or worst case: You get people far below your rating on your team because there aren't enough other people around

I agree with you, some players would use that function like that, but there's an angle: Players shifting blame to others and blocking, for instance lets say thief because he did not cap far etc, are not exactly behaving in a civil or desired manner. Once the block enough of "normal" players they would put themselves in same basket with grievers/ AFKers - on the other team.

And those special tryhard ragers that would block half the population - well, they would put themself out of matchmaking, i see no problem there :)

@Meteor.3720 said:People who afk has nothing to do with Matchmaking.

Well it has to do. I'm not really expecting players to throw matchs or afk purposely without even trying in gold division or above. That being said

@lexasaniaalex.9860 said:Right now I have 7 loses and 3 wins at matches history. Is it your 50/50?

That's the issue i mentionned yesterday. You can't judge this season system upon 10 or 20 matchs. This is all statistics, you can have a 60/40, 50/50 ratio overall, but that doesn't mean you can't be losing 10 games consecutively. If you flip a coin 10 times, you have cases where you will get 10 tails unfortunately. But this won't be the case over 100 throws.

@Neutra.6857 said:

THEN matchmaking would be kitten, because you wouldn't get matched with anybody in the limited player pool anyway or worst case: You get people far below your rating on your team because there aren't enough other people around

If you can't get in a match because you have blocked too many people isn't that a problem you made?

You missed the entire point. It doesn't matter if that problem is selfmade, this affects the game quality as a whole even if only one person does it and it only gets worse and worse. You just block people you don't like, then end up playing with low rank players because there aren't enough people at higher rating anyway -> games become even more volatile and one sided and impossible to enjoy for a majority of players -> even less people play and problems just get worse from there.

People should never have the option to directly skew a matchmaking system like that.

At least in ranked I think a system that would automatically remove players from the match and give dishonor if they don't leave spawn within a designated time frame should be incorporated into the game. Could go a step further and adjust rank points gained or lost based on personal contribution to the match and personal k/d ratio. If that salty player decides to feed the enemy team because he/she can't AFK then that player can lose double the rank points as the rest of the team.

@Abazigal.3679 said:

Well it has to do. I'm not really expecting players to throw matchs or afk purposely without even trying in gold division or above. That being said

@lexasaniaalex.9860 said:Right now I have 7 loses and 3 wins at matches history. Is it your 50/50?

That's the issue i mentionned yesterday. You can't judge this season system upon 10 or 20 matchs. This is all statistics, you can have a 60/40, 50/50 ratio overall, but that doesn't mean you can't be losing 10 games consecutively. If you flip a coin 10 times, you have cases where you will get 10 tails unfortunately. But this won't be the case over 100 throws.

Rank means nothing. The sooner you realise this, the happier you will be.

@"Meteor.3720" said:People who afk has nothing to do with Matchmaking.

Blocking people shouldn't prevent them getting in your match as it would just be exploited - block people who you know will beat you.

Don't be made just because you can't make it to Plat 1 where "you think you belong".

Matchmaking isn't great, but it's as good as it can be with a small population. Player toxicity is something completely different.

Ofc it has since I can meet the same people that I already blocked and reported and the second match. And blocking people should do exactly what I said as at the other games I've played like FFXiV/SWTOR/WoW/TESO - I don't want to play with them at the same team. Cause usually if they afk at the first match cause 'you are f noobs' so they will do the same at the second match.

You are an example of people 'we have nice matchmaking, everything is alright, just get better'. It's pointless to even talk with such persons since you don't understand - if I do not belong to Platinum then I shouldn't get there at all and I should have my 50/50 loses and wins on gold and not lose streaks like 5 matches.

@Abazigal.3679 said:

Ye, however, I have the same story with lose-streaks every season and I have more losses than wins. Right now I have 17 wins with 42 matches played. As I said I didn't play GW2 for 3 weeks after lose-streak on April that is why I have so little matches in total(Usually I play 2-3 matches per day). And anyway the system shouldn't work like you won 10 matches when you take a placement or get to your rating so then you have lose-streak till the end of the season with little breaks like 1-2 wins. You should have 50/50 or 60/40 ratio on the rating you deserve. And I've never had such a ratio since Seasons started several years ago.

@"AngelLovesFredrik.6741" said:

Rank means nothing. The sooner you realise this, the happier you will be.

It's not about rank for me. I want to get Platinum and then higher but it's not so important. The most annoying thing here is that I try hard, learn from my mistakes, use more tactics etc. etc. If I would get 50/50 ratio then I would be glad enough whatever rating I would be. But right now I'm losing my rating not cause I was bad(ye, I make mistakes and I'm not pro as I said before but I never complain about loses when it's obvious that I and team wasn't good enough and enemies did better for sure), but because afk people, people who shouldn't be put at match with platinum at all(it's common story when you meet people from lower tiers and even divisions), people who decided at first minutes that we will lose and started to play for fun running 2 men for thief and all other staff. I have many stories like that. Why should I lose my rating cause this nonsense? A fair fight then you are not good enough - I'm ok with that. Bad matchmaking, balance(scourge curse still at work) or players behavior(that don't even punish) - no way!

@lexasaniaalex.9860 said:

@"Meteor.3720" said:People who afk has nothing to do with Matchmaking.

Ofc it has since I can meet the same people that blocked and reported and the second match. And blocking people should do exactly what I said as at the other games I've played like FFXiV/SWTOR/WoW/TESO.

You are an example of people 'we have nice matchmaking, everything is alright, just get better'. It's pointless to even talk with such persons since you don't understand - if I do not belong to Platinum then I shouldn't get there at all and I should have my 50/50 loses and wins on gold and not lose streaks like 5 matches.

If I had the ability to block people to stop being in their matches, what's to stop me from blocking every player on the leader boards?

Loss streak of 5 isn't that bad but you'll do better if you have a break at 3 losses... Think of the Snickers ad and apply the concept to Winning (full) and Losing (hungry).c7gJIZi.png

@lexasaniaalex.9860 said: The most annoying thing here is that I try hard, learn from my mistakes, use more tactics etc. etc. If I would get 50/50 ratio then I would be glad enough whatever rating I would be.

This. I was so excited that support Firebrand was a viable healing option that I rerolled. I had roughly a 50/50 win rate playing games on Mesmer and engie in previous metas. Today I went 2/10 matches. I'm I know not the best, and I can admit when someone is better skilled at their class just as easily as me being better than someone else. SO much depends on your teammates that you can't really just straight up carry people all the time. And when you're repeatedly getting paired into weak matchups, it makes the play experience very unrewarding.

@Squee Squashington.5189 said:

@Sampson.2403 said:You guys are fing hilarious. The denial and rage is GLORIOUS.

My point exactly. When you get paired up with intellect like this, might as well concede to the other team.

I gurantee you ive played more ranked games than you this season and the last season and i happily float in plat 1 and 2 (over 1000 games last season and 500 this season so far).

I'm familiar with everything yall crying about. I've seen it all. I know how big or small of a deal it all really is vs what you guys present it to be in your rage fueled posts.

Like i said, It's glorious. Knocking on the door of legendary!

Yet you post this in your own thread:

@Sampson.2403 said: I really wish there were more analytical discussions and game knowledge transfer on these forums.
and come here and all you do is talk shit.

For all of your games played, amazing rank, and familiarity with everything possible, you added literally nothing to anything that anyone was saying.

@Squee Squashington.5189 said:Yet you post this in your own thread:

@Sampson.2403 said: I really wish there were more analytical discussions and game knowledge transfer on these forums.

and come here and all you do is talk kitten.

For all of your games played, amazing rank, and familiarity with everything possible, you added literally nothing to anything that anyone was saying.

Oh am i supposed to add fuel to the toxic rage crying fire? Im trying to put it out by presenting logic. Yall self sabotage yourselves so much. Gaming is supposed to be fun and relaxing. All i see here is stress and anger.

Maybe this will help. Here's the thing. Your opponents are JUST AS LIKELY to have afkers, bad players, throwers, ragers as your team. The deck is not stacked against you. Over the course of a season, you will have benefited just as much as you have suffered from everything that you're complaining about. It all balances out.

When im playing a game and someone on my team rage quits or were just unlucky on combined skill or team composition what i do is use that as an opportunity to work on something. Maybe i want to practice a new strategy against a spell breaker so ill keep engaging him for the 1v1 practice or whatever.

At the end of the day, no matter how you slice it, if you're getting more stress out of the game than you are relaxation then your doing it wrong.

@"Sampson.2403" said:Maybe this will help. Here's the thing. Your opponents are JUST AS LIKELY to have afkers, bad players, throwers, ragers as your team. The deck is not stacked against you. Over the course of a season, you will have benefited just as much as you have suffered from everything that you're complaining about. It all balances out.While I get what you're saying as well as operating under the assumption that you're indeed "knocking on the door to legendary" you should know that it doesn't balance out.

While you may win a game because of an afk as often as you lose because of one, you lose substantially more rating. You need to maintain ~ 3:1 winrate to push to and stay in legend.

@"Specialka.7290" said:The issue I see here is that ppl want you to play the meta class because they are far superior to anything else. There will always be a meta in any game, but here, the gap is far too wide between the meta class and the rest.

Not ALWAYS. It just seems that way because every single game does absolutely NOTHING to discourage it.

There are things you could do, as a developer, to incentivize more build diversity ... but almost every single game I've played or seen incentivizes 1) winning and 2) winning efficiently.

Look at a game like Hearthstone. Winning and winning fast (other than just playing shit decks for daily quest gold) is the best way to farm resources. It's more of an addiction than it is a game. GW2 is the same. It almost forces you to play the game in a way that you don't want to play it, so you can keep playing it in a way you don't want to.

And of course players are part of the problem too. Using Hearthstone as an example again, I think a great majority of players would be just fine with their opponent auto-conceding at the start of the game than actually having a good, nail-biter of a game. There's just something about gamers (generalizing of course) that prefer unfair, "stomping" of n00bs. You see it with streamers non-stop. We call it toxicity, but really it's just this desire for 1) superiority (pretty human impulse) and 2) the easy road (also fairly human) ... but it really manifests strongly in the gaming community. It's why there are cheat codes and god mode and why you can trade all the good players to one team on Madden football and stomp the AI 89 to 0.

I guess its escapism, this desire to be OP. But to me, it's really weird. I'd rather lose 498 to 500 than to win 500 to 180... but you don't get rewarded in the former and you get shiny things, quicker, in the latter. So that's what players want.

Archived