How the hek do you survive heart of thrones map with core builds?

Ryou.2398

With core? You link a tempest build you know?

Anyway, the utilities are fine, I'd replace glyph of elemantal tempest by glypgh of summon lesser elemental (It's usefull in open world PvE). Forget DD, just use staff in HoT map I felt it was the most effective weapon.

In HoT with a core berserk build I'd probably just play that:http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vFAQFAWhUMouhVNwnB0RMIAYRAoA8AKth0gcJLBpAA

If you have issue with survivability... well... you shouldn't have issue with survivability...

@"Dadnir.5038" said:With core? You link a tempest build you know?

Anyway, the utilities are fine, I'd replace glyph of elemantal tempest by glypgh of summon lesser elemental (It's usefull in open world PvE). Forget DD, just use staff in HoT map I felt it was the most effective weapon.

In HoT with a core berserk build I'd probably just play that:http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vFAQFAWhUMouhVNwnB0RMIAYRAoA8AKth0gcJLBpAA

If you have issue with survivability... well... you shouldn't have issue with survivability...

That is not a tempest build look again its fire, air, and arcane and a water variant, but you gave me something to think about with the going staff and using the lesser elemental thanks.

@Ryou.2398 said:

• Don’t over-aggro.
  • Learn your class’ strengths and weaknesses.
  • Learn the enemies’ strength and weaknesses along with mechanics.

No thats not my issue at all, im asking about builds.

Builds are irrelevant if you do those three.

If you’re looking for advice on a build then your thread title doesn’t match what you’re posting.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

• Don’t over-aggro.

If you’re looking for advice on a build then your thread title doesn’t match what you’re posting.

It clearly saids builds and I linked the build do not get over defensive because you did not read the thread before you replied, better luck next time sport.

@Ryou.2398 said:

• Don’t over-aggro.

It clearly saids builds and I linked the build do not get over defensive because you did not read the thread before you replied, better luck next time sport.

I read it and it was a 50/50 on whether my response would be correct. Clearly I lost on that gamble.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

• Don’t over-aggro.

I read it and it was a 50/50 on whether my response would be correct. Clearly I lost on that gamble.

Sure whatever you say my queen.

Use a staff, start in earth so you can reflect projectiles, immob/CC enemies or blast fury. Nuke. Ranged kite and LoS anything that gives you trouble.

If all else fails use glyph of elementals in earth, attack an enemy and cancel the cast so the earth elemental attacks first drawing aggro. If needed use an energy sigil.

@Ryou.2398 said:

• Don’t over-aggro.

If you're not surviving running zerk gear, then yes, that's part of the issue. In this game, understanding foes & mechanics is more important than builds or gear. If you have the first, you can manage with an unsuitable build or the wrong suit of armor; if you have optimal gear and specs, you won't necessarily survive.

So sure, spend some time worrying about build & gear; that's worth doing. But please don't ignore advice just because it wasn't in the form you had expected.

So you think there's a berserker glassy build that suddenly allows you to survive while not dodging and making mistakes all over the place?

Sorry, that doesn't exist. You can invest on PVT gear though and you won't die while facetanking at least 2 hits.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

• Don’t over-aggro.

If you're not surviving running zerk gear, then yes, that's part of the issue. In this game, understanding foes & mechanics is more important than builds or gear. If you have the first, you can manage with an unsuitable build or the wrong suit of armor; if you have optimal gear and specs, you won't necessarily survive.

So sure, spend some time worrying about build & gear; that's worth doing. But please don't ignore advice just because it wasn't in the form you had expected.

I am not ignoring the advice it simply does not apply to me considering I already know my ele well to begin with,. the problem is people in the forums just like to assume and want to be toxic like in any other mmo.

@apharma.3741 said:Use a staff, start in earth so you can reflect projectiles, immob/CC enemies or blast fury. Nuke. Ranged kite and LoS anything that gives you trouble.

If all else fails use glyph of elementals in earth, attack an enemy and cancel the cast so the earth elemental attacks first drawing aggro. If needed use an energy sigil.

I am starting to realize that staff is working out better then daggers for hot maps thank you for this suggestion.

@Ryou.2398 said:

• Don’t over-aggro.

I am not ignoring the advice it simply does not apply to me considering I already know my ele well to begin with,. the problem is people in the forums just like to assume and want to be toxic like in any other mmo.

It was generic advice and not meant to be specifically about you. All of what I listed will assist players going into LS2 and later maps. There’s very little that you can do to modify a singular build that will suddenly make HoT easier.

I read your initial post two different ways due to the title saying one thing and the actual post taking another. I took a gamble and went with what I read in the title as I figured that that would be more worthwhile advice.

I’m sorry if you felt I was being assuming and toxic but that was not the intention.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

• Don’t over-aggro.

It was generic advice and not meant to be specifically about you. All of what I listed will assist players going into LS2 and later maps. There’s very little that you can do to modify a singular build that will suddenly make HoT easier.

I read your initial post two different ways due to the title saying one thing and the actual post taking another. I took a gamble and went with what I read in the title as I figured that that would be more worthwhile advice.

I’m sorry if you felt I was being assuming and toxic but that was not the intention.

Well it was not only about you, I knew no build would magically make it better but I was curious if that build was even viable for harder maps like hot vs the rest of the open world since it does not specify.

@Ryou.2398 said:

• Don’t over-aggro.

Well it was not only about you, I knew no build would magically make it better but I was curious if that build was even viable for harder maps like hot vs the rest of the open world since it does not specify.

That build is absolutely viable for HoT maps, even for a not particularly great elementalist player like me. I used more or less that when I took my ele through there a while back.

All of the "Open World" builds on metabattle are able to complete all the open world content in the game. Not necessarily solo champions hero points, but complete them without too much trouble? Absolutely.

So, we come back to the very start of this discussion: HoT maps are significantly harder than core maps. They absolutely require you to play to the strengths and weaknesses of the enemy. You can get away without doing that in big zergs elsewhere, in core maps, and to some degree in PoF. You can't in HoT, and you especially can't in LS3 episodes.

If you can't survive with that build, changing builds is only going to help if it allows you to focus more on the fight mechanics and less on the "rotation" or skill priorities.

I hope that helps clarify the situation for you, but to be double-clear: ALL "Open World" builds on metabattle are ABSOLUTELY VIABLE for HoT maps.

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

• Don’t over-aggro.

That build is absolutely viable for HoT maps, even for a not particularly great elementalist player like me. I used more or less that when I took my ele through there a while back.

All of the "Open World" builds on metabattle are able to complete all the open world content in the game. Not necessarily solo champions hero points, but complete them without too much trouble? Absolutely.

So, we come back to the very start of this discussion: HoT maps are significantly harder than core maps. They absolutely require you to play to the strengths and weaknesses of the enemy. You can get away without doing that in big zergs elsewhere, in core maps, and to some degree in PoF. You can't in HoT, and you especially can't in LS3 episodes.

If you can't survive with that build, changing builds is only going to help if it allows you to focus more on the fight mechanics and less on the "rotation" or skill priorities.

I hope that helps clarify the situation for you, but to be double-clear:
ALL
"Open World" builds on metabattle are
ABSOLUTELY VIABLE
for HoT maps.

Hmmm thanks not sure I agree with the last statement, I think some meta builds require you to do a specific rotation on the dot 100 percent of the time to be effective.

@Ryou.2398 said:Hmmm thanks not sure I agree with the last statement, I think some meta builds require you to do a specific rotation on the dot 100 percent of the time to be effective.

Not the open-world builds. They are created knowing that (a) it's not usually possible to hit 100% of a rotation in open world and (b) the audience for open world builds isn't likely to pay strict attention.

Ele is a very squish class and has to pay more attention to mechanics than most, regardless of the build. That's especially important in HoT maps, because the mobs are very unforgiving.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Ryou.2398 said:Hmmm thanks not sure I agree with the last statement, I think some meta builds require you to do a specific rotation on the dot 100 percent of the time to be effective.

Not the open-world builds. They are created knowing that (a) it's not usually possible to hit 100% of a rotation in open world and (b) the audience for open world builds isn't likely to pay strict attention.

Ele is a very squish class and has to pay more attention to mechanics than most, regardless of the build. That's especially important in HoT maps, because the mobs are very unforgiving.

What @Illconceived Was Na.9781 says here is an accurate summary of my position.

I'd also add that "is X viable" necessarily presupposes that you play with some degree of effectiveness. None of the builds are "stand still, press 1 until target is dead", because there is no build that can deliver that.

On top of that, @Ryou.2398, even if that were true, the result would be reduced effectiveness, not complete and utter failure.

I do not understand why you are targeting and attacking people who are trying to help you. I have read through all the responses and none of them seem like they are assuming, accusing or being toxic towards you.

It is just that - the build is not everything. If you struggle with core ele in HoT, then I would say you definitely need more practice in skill usage. HoT is all about countering. All of the mobs have extremely low HP and thus they should die quickly to your attacks, but if you do not utilize your skills/traits right you are going to struggle. Some examples:

• Pocket Raptors. Spot them before they spot you, they die to one AOE.
  • Mordrem Snipers are going to shoot a straight line at you, simply dodge out and you are good
  • For the shadowstepping hyleks use protection or a block when you see them stealth because they are going to melee attack you next - place aoes under yourself
  • Reflect bristleback projectiles
  • Arrowheads will roll onto their sides so make sure to keep some distance
  • Stoneheads charge directly at you so simply flank them
  • Rolling devils you want to cc quickly, use your ice fields or earth skills for this
  • Mushrooms tend to spray goo or charge at you depending on type, just be careful with positioning and you will do fine
  • CC anything that has a breakbar
  • Use your elementals to body block attacks
  • Dont attack chak when they have the damage reflect bubble up

And so on!

I personally prefer scepter/dagger with fire, air and arcane specs and using mainly glyphs or arcane skills in utilities. Fiery Greatsword elite or glyph of elementals. Change heal skill depending on situation.

You dont the HoT maps were designed with the idea that you would always have people to help you clear the content it was designed to be over challenging due to massive complaints about the core game not being challenging enough. For alot of things in the HoT maps to solo them with core or even many espec builds can be nearly impossible.

If you are having trouble with a specific hero point then you should ask map chat to or a near by player if you can find one to help you clear what you cannot on your own.

@Cerioth.7062 said:It is just that - the build is not everything. If you struggle with core ele in HoT, then I would say you definitely need more practice in skill usage. HoT is all about countering. All of the mobs have extremely low HP and thus they should die quickly to your attacks, but if you do not utilize your skills/traits right you are going to struggle. Some examples:

• Mordrem Snipers are going to shoot a straight line at you, simply dodge out and you are good

Your advice is generally excellent. Here, the one thing I would add is: dodge sideways, as the line is long, and I usually find myself at a range where dodging backwards keeps me in the damage zone.

• Arrowheads will roll onto their sides so make sure to keep some distance

Some of them, at least, also have a forward facing cone attack, just to add pain. Staying at a diagonal, either forward or backward of them, outside that cone but also not where they will roll, is the easiest way to handle that. In general, if you have the range you can also let them roll once you have a good feel for the distance, just by standing far enough back and/or backpeddling away from them.

How the hek do you survive heart of thrones map with core builds?

My experience is: You don't. At least not as new HoT player. The HoT maps have far stronger monsters than the maps of the core game and the Elementalist is fragile here. Even with a Celestial build I ended up to be overrun a lot when wandering alone. The solution is in the last part: Don't wander alone when you start HoT. You will have a more enjoyable and more rewarding experience in a groups doing the dynamic events. later on, when you have leveled your masteries or maybe even have a few mounts (Path of Fire) you will have a better experience wandering alone as Elementalist.

Elementalist in full berserker is like standing in an angry crowd with a "kick me" written on your t-shirt. I too had problems surviving on my ele, until I started using x2 exotic soldier earrings. The added toughness and vitality really made a difference. I also started using the utility skill "Armor of the Earth" which gives you stability and protection. This, combined with the lesser elemental glyph to tank a few mobs allowed me to stay alive for way longer.

Most people will tell you that berserker is the way to go even for open world, because as long as you kill, you should be fine. Dead foe means no damage, right? However, I don't believe this holds true for the profession with the lowest health and least passive defences in the entire game.

It doesn't matter how much damage you do if you get two shotted by a mordrem sniper. MIx soldier and berserker or get marauder gear, some extra health and armor can save your life surprisingly often.

Archived