What do PvE players think is reasonable for Gift of Battle

Well to be honest, as some one that does all types of games but mainly enjoy PVE, I have to say that I wouod wish there was also a way to get gift of battle in PvE and PvP, I personally would preffer a PvE gift of battls, for even when I do all the typws of games, I must say I still dislike at times having to kill or fight people that at times can be friends and makes me feel awful (but that also can be simply a personal problem and I am too emotional) nevertheless, would like other options to be available and still with the same type of timegate. (Sorry for my english)

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Somehow I ended up with a Gift of Battle after hearing that the reward track had other goodies I might like. I'm rank 8, finding it hard to actually hit 9, but I've completed two reward tracks only doing a couple of zergs, taking out the occasional dolyak, playing ruin-go-round for an hour or two, and a few "Big Spender" dailies. I think it might have taken me two or three weeks and maybe three or four hours total of actual WvW action. I was surprised at how little it took, honestly.

Request to Anet: Can Gifts of Battle be unbound? I'd love to sell mine. Right now, it's taking up bank storage space. I don't have the heart to toss it, since I'll never use it. I could definitely use the gold though.

If someone wants to force PvE players to play their game mode to get Gift of Battle, then I'm certainly not going to budge an inch on my opinion regarding the Gift of Exploration.

"It's not that hard, just find a zerg and stack boosters, and you'll have more GoB's that you know what to do with"

uh.. yeah.. it's not that hard, just stack boosters, and do zone completion. I've done map completion 15 times (including 5 when WvW was required), and I can assure you, unlike WvW, there are waypoints all over the place. There are also a lot of locations outside the main cities where you can park your character for 10minutes or so while you make lunch, and not have to worry about coming back to being dead.

And really, we're 6 years in to GW2. It's time to cut the kitten and admit that the challenge of running around in WvW is substantially different from the "challenge" of doing world completion.

In OWPvE, mobs don't get their undies in a twist and stalk you if you crush them. Nor do they stalk you if you're an easy kill. They are not a conscious entity capable of holding a grudge, and even though you may come up against a thousand of them, you're not going to run into any that have psychological disorders that prevent them from understanding the basic concepts of human decency. No mob is going to dance on your corpse, and if you kill them there is exactly 0% chance that they'll get mad enough to try and find you in real life.

Beyond that, for me personally, I hate the current setup because I find WvW to be boring. You either Zerg, or you Roam. There's no in between. If the Gift of Battle is going to stay in WvW, then I'd like to see the requirements reduced along with the next big up date. The things they've talked about (such as being able to play with my guild, since servers don't seem to matter anymore), make the thought of having to grind the reward track a bit less annoying. Being able to play with your friends makes a big difference in how quickly the time passes. You can form your own squads, do your own thing and have fun. Currently, depending on your server, it's a shot in the dark as to whether or not you get a commander that is good. If Anet can get their proposed changes into place, it will greatly improve the monotony of grinding for the Gift of Battle.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@foarequiem.9013 said:As big players WvW can I ask for a wvw only gift of exploration ? Lol

As weird as it sounds, GoE would be a crap ton harder in WvW if you had to get all the map elements. I remember it being an issue in the first place, since certain locations could be inaccessible for weeks (if not months) depending on how your server is for taking keeps. Might not be as bad now with the server linking... but T4 (being what it is) can be one sided in a bad way. I'm curious if this would encourage pugs to form up on a K-train if the intent was to get map exploration.

Well we did it back in the days, so it was possible ;-)

Yes, but WvW matchups were changing weekly and you could always count to swap colors every week which allowed for easier exploration. It's much harder these days, not mentioning a horror that is desert borderlands without mounts.Not necessarily. When I got the first world exploration on my alt account (about four years ago) I was playing on a server that back then was firmly sitting in last place, so firmly in fact that we were red 95% of the time, blue about 5%, and there wasn't even a theoretical chance to ever be green. I fondly remember the night I stumbled upon two random strangers on the green borderlands and together the three of us proceeded to open up all of the keeps to grab the points of interest and vistas inside. Fortunately being in a match-up of only low-population wvw servers meant that there wasn't really much danger of enemies showing up either ;) .

While I enjoy occasional outings into wvw, I certainly don't mind the wvw maps being gone from the requirements of the Gift of Exploration. Gift of Battle is much easier to aquire these days than GoE was back when WvW was still a requirement. I understand that it takes some people far out of their comfort zone, but since we are talking about a material for a legendary item I suspect that this is very much intended and no pve only way to aquire it would make up for that purpose.

@Hyper Cutter.9376 said:

@Funky.4861 said:there's no alternative to map completion- you have to do every heart, hero point, vista and point of interest.But nobody ganks you while you're doing it, at least.

And you can work solo.And you don't have to walk for 5 minutes to find something to do.And you won't get randomly abandoned by a fickle commander while doing a heart, forcing you to chase them all over the map.

@thehipone.6812 said:

@"Funky.4861" said:there's no alternative to map completion- you have to do every heart, hero point, vista and point of interest.But nobody ganks you while you're doing it, at least.

That
patrolling that one hero point in Malchor's leap says hi.

I'm sure that for someone who plays WvW exclusively but has never done anything other than run with a zerg of 15+ people and relied completely on skill rotations that the Champion Risen Knight is a challenge. For anyone who has risen above that level, the Knight should be simple.

@Zaraki.5784 said:As a mostly-PvE player I think the current acquisition method is fine.

Ditto and I'm 100% PVE. Most of the time EotM is barren, making it essentially a PVE zone. Just run around and kill PVe enemies and get reward points. I'm 2500 points from my second Gift of Battle and all of my points have been from Big Spender or dailies in EOTM. It can be done slowly with zero human interaction (Big Spender only), moderately fast with almost no human interaction (EOTM dailies and roaming), or very fast if you choose to you know, battle.

I have no problem with having to do WvW to craft a legendary weapon, but I see a problem with not having such requirement for PvP too.I see that as an oversight.

Currently, the Gift of the Mists requires these:

• Gift of Battle : Reward track
  • Gift of War : 250 Battle Memories,
  • Gift of Glory : 250 Shards of Glory
  • Cube of stabilized dark energy : Dark energy + 75 stabilizing matrices.

To make the Gift of the Mists make sense and be fair across all game modes, it should have been something like this:

• Gift of War: 250 battle memories + Gift of Battle.
  • Gift of Glory: 250 shards of glory + Perfect Mists Core
  • Gift of Fractals: 250 +2 infusions, + Fractal Journal
  • Cube of stabilized dark energy : Dark energy + 75 stabilizing matrices.

This way there's both things you can buy, and items you have to obtain yourself. And it requires actually playing in all of the mists.

@Neural.1824 said:

@"Funky.4861" said:there's no alternative to map completion- you have to do every heart, hero point, vista and point of interest.But nobody ganks you while you're doing it, at least.

That
patrolling that one hero point in Malchor's leap says hi.

I'm sure that for someone who plays WvW exclusively but has never done anything other than run with a zerg of 15+ people and relied completely on skill rotations that the Champion Risen Knight is a challenge. For anyone who has risen above that level, the Knight should be simple.

Yeah, it's not a bad fight normally, except he has a habit of Oh Hai! flying over from far away as soon as you start to channel and doing that fire charge attack that can down you pretty fast if you don't immediately break the channel.

And I'm not really sure what to make of your insult...I'm not a WvW zerg player.

@"starlinvf.1358" said:I'm curious to see what PvE (particularly open world) players think is a reasonably gated system for obtaining Gift Of Battle from non-raid PvE content.What is the point of a WvW Gift that doesnt' require playing WvW to obtain? Either it's fair to require folks to participate in more than PvE to obtain a bound Legendary or it's not fair. In the first case, the current system is fine; in the second case, I can't see that it matters much, since it will basically turn into either a PvE time or money grind.

The WvW time-commitment is nominal (6-12 hours, not counting learning) and it can be bypassed entirely with Daily Big Spender (~10 months) or substantially avoided (using the PvE-ish dailies in WvW, probably 2 months or less depending on the player).

For me, the larger question is why ANet has quadrupled down on the idea ("it's fair to require more than PvE for legendary weapons") only for WvW. They've gone out of their way multiple times to make it impossible to avoid WvW, but... the PvP component is obtainable on the TP for peanuts (relative to the total costs).

tl;dr if it's fair to require WvW for legendary weapons, the current requirement is modest; if it's unfair, why even require a Gift of Battle at all?

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:For me, the larger question is why ANet has quadrupled down on the idea ("it's fair to require more than PvE for legendary weapons") only for WvW. They've gone out of their way multiple times to make it impossible to avoid WvW, but... the PvP component is obtainable on the TP for peanuts (relative to the total costs).

tl;dr if it's fair to require WvW for legendary weapons, the current requirement is modest; if it's unfair, why even require a Gift of Battle at all?To be fair, in the age of pvp farm arenas, requiring a pvp reward track is fairly pointless. Getting your GoB from big spender dailies only looks like a pretty a huge task compared to getting a reward track done in a custom farm arena.

• 1 month later...

Just to give this a bump, since after months i finaly getting to the final steps of my Kudzu, and so i reached the Gift of Battle.

I spent months on events, mobs, gathering, daily crafts of the needed materials (thats alot) and extra money to buy the few odds missing (like that other pvp token). So the odd few times i ran around in WvW, its 90% dead on the ground, 10% running around to even find someone.

I now came to the point where i just think.. why wasted all them time, i couldve sold all that i made and just buy the stupid weapon. The ammount of stuff i crafted i really wouldnt be that far of 1000G.

The vast time i spent on all the crafting/farming (them seeds..), all just falls down to some 'mode' i dont wanna play longer then 10 minutes at best. Its not like PVE, where i just switch character and find a new event/meta to do, when you like PVE you dont mind days, weeks or months of the same stuff, but when you have to do something for weeks (by the speed im currently going) that you absolute hate.. whats the point?

Yes, its not fair to both sides, i dont like it how people focused on 1 side (PVE or PVP) are forced to do the other thing, for a unknown period of time (people do claim 4-8 hours, but i doubt this also counts for the people that simply hate the mode). I only done this for the satisfaction of making the damn weapon myself, RNG gave me enough frustration already, but i got to the point i just cba anymore to build it.

@starlinvf.1358 said:what do PvE players think WvW is lacking in the rewards department to not be worth the time? (At what point would you actually be willing to farm there)It's not much but there are three things I would change:

1.)

Save participation rate when you leave WvW, it should only go down if someone does nothing while inside of WvW.

2.)

Decouple the WvW tickets from the skirmish system and make them tick rewards based on participation level: level one: one ticket, level two: two tickets...

3.)

Reduce the level requirement of the mistforged hero stuff and make it more akin to what the legendary backpack requires.

@Dinova.8597 said:Just to give this a bump, since after months i finaly getting to the final steps of my Kudzu, and so i reached the Gift of Battle.

I spent months on events, mobs, gathering, daily crafts of the needed materials (thats alot) and extra money to buy the few odds missing (like that other pvp token). So the odd few times i ran around in WvW, its 90% dead on the ground, 10% running around to even find someone.

I now came to the point where i just think.. why wasted all them time, i couldve sold all that i made and just buy the stupid weapon. The ammount of stuff i crafted i really wouldnt be that far of 1000G.

The vast time i spent on all the crafting/farming (them seeds..), all just falls down to some 'mode' i dont wanna play longer then 10 minutes at best. Its not like PVE, where i just switch character and find a new event/meta to do, when you like PVE you dont mind days, weeks or months of the same stuff, but when you have to do something for weeks (by the speed im currently going) that you absolute hate.. whats the point?

Yes, its not fair to both sides, i dont like it how people focused on 1 side (PVE or PVP) are forced to do the other thing, for a unknown period of time (people do claim 4-8 hours, but i doubt this also counts for the people that simply hate the mode). I only done this for the satisfaction of making the kitten weapon myself, RNG gave me enough frustration already, but i got to the point i just cba anymore to build it.

cough gift of exploration for wvwers cough

I'd consider myself a PvE Player but I do enjoy playing a little bit in WvW every then and now and so far I've never felt that Gift of Battle was the problem in crafting a legendary. I struggle a lot more with Amalgament Gemstones and Crystaline Ore... But I'm also someone who tries to avoid all HoT content as much as possible since I dislike the HoT Meta Event concept.

Anyway, I don't think anything about Gift of Battle needs to change but I do think there are many things about WvW that need to change but for now I'd wait for the Alliance changes as I think they'll improve WvW greatly.After that I'd love to see an attention shift towards strategic aspects of the objectives and an increased importance of supply management, I don't enjoy the mentality of "the bigger the zerg the better" and basically just having a huge group of people farming objectives, I'd much prefer a shift to a more strategic gameplay instead of the brute force concept that is ruling WvW at the moment, but that is a whole different topic which I hope will be addressed once the Alliances have been established.

Archived