Cross-dressing in Gw2 Idea

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Ayrilana.1396 said:Anet already has difficulty producing more armor skins for us and this would essentially double the number of skins they’d have to produce. I see it not happening more because of how infeasible it is rather than for a lack of support for such an option.

Not to get pedantic but the skins are already assets, they are just going on different meshes. You would need a way to also define which of the two skins to use, although that can be as simple as unlocking both versions for your race. The real work is actually not as much a new technical piece as it is checking all the skins. For example, I am guessing they would lose their rating if women could walk around pretty much topless.

@Menadena.7482 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:Anet already has difficulty producing more armor skins for us and this would essentially double the number of skins they’d have to produce. I see it not happening more because of how infeasible it is rather than for a lack of support for such an option.

Not to get pedantic but the skins are already assets, they are just going on different meshes. You would need a way to also define which of the two skins to use, although that can be as simple as unlocking both versions for your race. The real work is actually not as much a new technical piece as it is checking all the skins. For example, I am guessing they would lose their rating if women could walk around pretty much topless.

They’d still have to be modified because believe it or not, men and women don’t have the same body types. Armor that fits one gender won’t necessarily fit the other.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

They’d still have to be modified because believe it or not, men and women don’t have the same body types. Armor that fits one gender won’t necessarily fit the other.

That would be part of the check. For example, an artist could have highlighted the expected shape of the mesh underneath which may or may not look good with a different shape. Of course, anet can just do a "no visible boobies" check and leave it to the users to decide if a given skin looks good or not.

@starlinvf.1358 said:

@"DarcShriek.5829" said:It seems like it would be a lot of extra work for something only a few people would use. It's a shame that people can't leave politics out of this thread.

Politics are inherent to human civilization..... as long as 2 people can communicate an idea, the exchange is inherently going to have political bias. The more ideas involved, the more political it gets. Even if they're in agreement, its still political. The real problem is people not being able to get past the politics, because we're exacerbating extreme opposition (us vs them), as opposed to processing information for things of value.

In this particular case, I find the real issue is some RPers not really being capable of RPing, and need validation rather then actually ... you know..... "role playing". More concerned with "what" they are, rather then "who" they are..... which is ironic, given how they describe the reasons for wanting these features.

A thread regarding cross dressing toons is no place to diss another person's home.

@Menadena.7482 said:

That would be part of the check. For example, an artist could have highlighted the expected shape of the mesh underneath which may or may not look good with a different shape. Of course, anet can just do a "no visible boobies" check and leave it to the users to decide if a given skin looks good or not.

And Anet could do the same thing with armor skins instead of doing costumes. There’s obviously more to it than that.

@DarcShriek.5829 said:

@DarcShriek.5829 said:It seems like it would be a lot of extra work for something only a few people would use. It's a shame that people can't leave politics out of this thread.

Politics are inherent to human civilization..... as long as 2 people can communicate an idea, the exchange is inherently going to have political bias. The more ideas involved, the more political it gets. Even if they're in agreement, its still political. The real problem is people not being able to get past the politics, because we're exacerbating extreme opposition (us vs them), as opposed to processing information for things of value.

In this particular case, I find the real issue is some RPers not really being capable of RPing, and need validation rather then actually ... you know..... "role playing". More concerned with "what" they are, rather then "who" they are..... which is ironic, given how they describe the reasons for wanting these features.

A thread regarding cross dressing toons is no place to diss another person's home.

I "can't even" that train of thought.....

But it is almost always MALE HUMAN armor (AND poorly adapted).

There is a cultural reason for why charr armor is how it is and I dont think it should be changed.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Do keep in mind, sis, that 'paying extra' might not cover the costs; if the item(s) don't sell well enough (there isn't enough interest from the percentage of the playerbase targeted), the work is for naught. These are the things the Devs consider before implementing fringe content, I would guess.

Oh... that is actually a very valid point, I would guess this deffinetly is dependent on how big the group asking for this is big enough or not, although then as said in comments above, another way would be putting the option for new outfits instead of the current ones and work on current ones waaaay later while they attend to other bigger conserns.

@"TheQuickFox.3826" said:Fine with me, but as LoTRO player, where you can use any outfit on any gender, you will need to be prepared for great disappointments.I once previewed some female Elven clothing for my somewhat feminine male elf char, but it looked horrible. I think the better option is to have more styles of fashion within the genres, including more masculine styles for females and more feminine styles for males. In that account: I love the new Elonian Elementalist outfit.

First, YES, I love this idea a lot, would work just as well.And second, actually I started all this exactly because of that outfit.. as a femboy asura, I trully trully would have loved to see that on my male, but I guess is okey, maybe some day very in the future, who knows?

@Menadena.7482 said:Good luck in your quest but as has been pointed out there are a few things standing in the way ranging from technical (and resource) issues to US mores.

I would reemphasize one suggestion and add that you can use role playing to get over some hurdles. Roll another character on your account for the gender of armor you want. When creating the character choose a name that reflects what name the gender you want to present as (maybe a female character called Hank for example). The same for physical attributes (a flat chested woman still gets female armor).

Oh yes dear sir some one apointed this in a comment above, and I was a bit dissapointed cause yes, it does fill a way, but one doesnt feel the same, but for now it is a way, even although my name is pretty gender neutral, Gil Softpaws, but thank you for the comment.

@"Zauriel Mooncat.4968" said:I had a curious talk with a friend, and I finally got the courage to ask this: Why cant we cross-dress?There are many outfits and armor pieces that differ with their respective gender, but why cant we have the option to, for example, as a male use the female version of the desired outfit or desired armor piece?I understand this is controversial, but I really wish we had that option, we pass with our characters hours, days, years even, and some of us would enjoy to have that connection, to be able to cross-dress in game too and feel more feminine if you are male or more masculine if you are female.This is just an opinion, an idea for maybe a future change on the customization of the characters and have more variety available for those who desire to express through their characters who they really are and feel happier with their character, or for those who wants to have fun role-playing or want to have fun being like that, I do not judge.But I truly hope you can take in consideration my idea/opinion, i know it is controversial and I know some see it as unimportant, but is just something I really wish could be realized in the future.

(PS: sorry for my grammar errors and possible syntax errors, English is not my main language and I try my hardest to make myself clear)

Thank you very much for readingGil Softpaws

Here ya go!

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Total_Makeover_Kit

You’re welcome!

@Swagger.1459 said:

@"Zauriel Mooncat.4968" said:I had a curious talk with a friend, and I finally got the courage to ask this: Why cant we cross-dress?There are many outfits and armor pieces that differ with their respective gender, but why cant we have the option to, for example, as a male use the female version of the desired outfit or desired armor piece?I understand this is controversial, but I really wish we had that option, we pass with our characters hours, days, years even, and some of us would enjoy to have that connection, to be able to cross-dress in game too and feel more feminine if you are male or more masculine if you are female.This is just an opinion, an idea for maybe a future change on the customization of the characters and have more variety available for those who desire to express through their characters who they really are and feel happier with their character, or for those who wants to have fun role-playing or want to have fun being like that, I do not judge.But I truly hope you can take in consideration my idea/opinion, i know it is controversial and I know some see it as unimportant, but is just something I really wish could be realized in the future.

(PS: sorry for my grammar errors and possible syntax errors, English is not my main language and I try my hardest to make myself clear)

Here ya go!

You’re welcome!

Sir we have already discussed that its not about changing the gender but having a bigger variety of femenine looking armors or masculine looking armors and outfits, to have the option to be able to change between the styles, and ges, we have aslo talked about possible costs and also the different dissadvantages and advantages due to character modeling, time, and difficulty of the work.

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:ppl are to prudish to even consider this, i would not mind but oh well..

GW2 features, and has for a long time, an explicitly transgender NPC in Lions Arch. So, ArenaNet are clearly willing to support trans representation in the game.

(I apologize first hand for possible intruscion on replies) But exelent observation, anet would possibly support such idea due to them already doing such things.

Nevertheless, I do understand too the posture of Sorudo, there are people against trans in game, and I do understand at the end of the day this is, after all, a controversial implementstion/opinion/idea, still, I wish such thing would happen to include a bigger variety and maybe also have more inclusion for people that might like the idea for any reason, let it be as legit transgender person, some one that wants to try it, or a troll, or some one thay wants to rp as it.(I hope I was able to explain well with my English, I apologize for the errors and possible lack of structure)

@Zauriel Mooncat.4968 said:

@Zauriel Mooncat.4968 said:I had a curious talk with a friend, and I finally got the courage to ask this: Why cant we cross-dress?There are many outfits and armor pieces that differ with their respective gender, but why cant we have the option to, for example, as a male use the female version of the desired outfit or desired armor piece?I understand this is controversial, but I really wish we had that option, we pass with our characters hours, days, years even, and some of us would enjoy to have that connection, to be able to cross-dress in game too and feel more feminine if you are male or more masculine if you are female.This is just an opinion, an idea for maybe a future change on the customization of the characters and have more variety available for those who desire to express through their characters who they really are and feel happier with their character, or for those who wants to have fun role-playing or want to have fun being like that, I do not judge.But I truly hope you can take in consideration my idea/opinion, i know it is controversial and I know some see it as unimportant, but is just something I really wish could be realized in the future.

Here ya go!

You’re welcome!

Sir we have already discussed that its not about changing the gender but having a bigger variety of femenine looking armors or masculine looking armors and outfits, to have the option to be able to change between the styles, and ges, we have aslo talked about possible costs and also the different dissadvantages and advantages due to character modeling, time, and difficulty of the work.

I’m male, but how are you just gonna totally assumed gender like that? Lucky that micro-aggression don’t bother me, because I ain’t no snowflake...

I’ll be honest and say I didn’t read through this thread, but I thought I’d be helpful... Your suggestion is not gonna happen, though, so just make use of those makeover kits. The devs aren’t going to spend the next year reworking all armor models to fit on all gender and race models. Creating armors is already super time and resources intensive for them, as they stated.

Yeah and what else, next thing you know people like me are gonna want skimpy outfits. It's never gonna happen we all know how inflexible Anet has become with sexy armor and outfits, with everything new now it's overdress this and overdress that, and cover this what are parents gonna say, Now armor must by definition look overdressed and boring. I have a very hard time now buying one a year. :p

@Swagger.1459 said:

@Zauriel Mooncat.4968 said:I had a curious talk with a friend, and I finally got the courage to ask this: Why cant we cross-dress?There are many outfits and armor pieces that differ with their respective gender, but why cant we have the option to, for example, as a male use the female version of the desired outfit or desired armor piece?I understand this is controversial, but I really wish we had that option, we pass with our characters hours, days, years even, and some of us would enjoy to have that connection, to be able to cross-dress in game too and feel more feminine if you are male or more masculine if you are female.This is just an opinion, an idea for maybe a future change on the customization of the characters and have more variety available for those who desire to express through their characters who they really are and feel happier with their character, or for those who wants to have fun role-playing or want to have fun being like that, I do not judge.But I truly hope you can take in consideration my idea/opinion, i know it is controversial and I know some see it as unimportant, but is just something I really wish could be realized in the future.

Here ya go!

You’re welcome!

I’m male, but how are you just gonna totally assumed gender like that? Lucky that micro-aggression don’t bother me, because I ain’t no snowflake...

I’ll be honest and say I didn’t read through this thread, but I thought I’d be helpful... Your suggestion is not gonna happen, though, so just make use of those makeover kits. The devs aren’t going to spend the next year reworking all armor models to fit on all gender and race models. Creating armors is already super time and resources intensive for them, as they stated.

But dear sir I did not ment to be aggressive in any kind of way, sorry if my tone seemed that way.

And yes sir we bave also talked about this and understood that it is true that the developers have a hard time and extwnsive time creating armors, but there have been some other (possible) solutions for that.

Also, I dont dessire to imply at all an inmediate rush of change, I can put as example the toogle on and off from different pieces of armor thay didnt used to be able to toogle on or off, we didnt get all pieces of armor but we got some, and took years for that opinion to become something. I believe there are other 2 examples but I cant recall them right now (apologies).

But yes, to re-state, this is an opinion that I understand that requieres a lot of shaping in order to be even a suitable idea, and by any means I mean aggression, in fact, I try to be as respectful as possible or to state and well as I can a position or a statement..(Sorry of the structure of my paragraph is a bit bad but trying my best to make it understandable)

@Hybarf Tics.2048 said:Yeah and what else, next thing you know people like me are gonna want skimpy outfits. It's never gonna happen we all know how inflexible Anet has become with sexy armor and outfits, with everything new now it's overdress this and overdress that, and cover this what are parents gonna say, Now armor must by definition look overdressed and boring. I have a very hard time now buying one a year. :p

Well I kinda understand this statement, but I do need and feel the need to speak up about it, maybe wont happen, maybe will, maybe they will take in consideration all the things we have talked in this threat and find a solution, and maybe my english will be understandable enough!... (I hope...)

But nevertheless, one never can leave things like that, one always must speak, just as you for example spoke, and there was maybe a chance of me not seeing your comment by accident or being affraid to reply, but I did. (Although thats because I really am trying to see every opinion, be active on my replies and trying to be as respectful and kind as I can, I trully trully hope I am doing well)

Anyways, I am sorry for my long replies, thank you for your comment, I just wanted to convey that there is always a spark on hope, and one can only look at the best outcome of things, even when might be bad, terriffic, or actually good.

@Zauriel Mooncat.4968 said:

@"sorudo.9054" said:ppl are to prudish to even consider this, i would not mind but oh well..

GW2 features, and has for a long time, an explicitly transgender NPC in Lions Arch. So, ArenaNet are clearly willing to support trans representation in the game.

(I apologize first hand for possible intruscion on replies) But exelent observation, anet would possibly support such idea due to them already doing such things.

Nevertheless, I do understand too the posture of Sorudo, there are people against trans in game

Personally, I take the view "kitten those folks". They are welcome to take their opinions to literally any other game available today, where they will not be subject to the unwelcome intrusion of people different from them into their theoretically safe spaces.

Archived