Cross-dressing in Gw2 Idea

@Zauriel Mooncat.4968 said:

@Zauriel Mooncat.4968 said:I had a curious talk with a friend, and I finally got the courage to ask this: Why cant we cross-dress?There are many outfits and armor pieces that differ with their respective gender, but why cant we have the option to, for example, as a male use the female version of the desired outfit or desired armor piece?I understand this is controversial, but I really wish we had that option, we pass with our characters hours, days, years even, and some of us would enjoy to have that connection, to be able to cross-dress in game too and feel more feminine if you are male or more masculine if you are female.This is just an opinion, an idea for maybe a future change on the customization of the characters and have more variety available for those who desire to express through their characters who they really are and feel happier with their character, or for those who wants to have fun role-playing or want to have fun being like that, I do not judge.But I truly hope you can take in consideration my idea/opinion, i know it is controversial and I know some see it as unimportant, but is just something I really wish could be realized in the future.

(PS: sorry for my grammar errors and possible syntax errors, English is not my main language and I try my hardest to make myself clear)

Thank you very much for readingGil Softpaws

Here ya go!

You’re welcome!

Sir we have already discussed that its not about changing the gender but having a bigger variety of femenine looking armors or masculine looking armors and outfits, to have the option to be able to change between the styles, and ges, we have aslo talked about possible costs and also the different dissadvantages and advantages due to character modeling, time, and difficulty of the work.

I’m male, but how are you just gonna totally assumed gender like that? Lucky that micro-aggression don’t bother me, because I ain’t no snowflake...

I’ll be honest and say I didn’t read through this thread, but I thought I’d be helpful... Your suggestion is not gonna happen, though, so just make use of those makeover kits. The devs aren’t going to spend the next year reworking all armor models to fit on all gender and race models. Creating armors is already super time and resources intensive for them, as they stated.

But dear sir I did not ment to be aggressive in any kind of way, sorry if my tone seemed that way.

As a tip: that response there is someone using the language commonly associated with pro-discrimination groups, in the way that they frequently attempt to weaponize what they see as an unwelcome requirement to care about other people against they folks they see as involved in creating that requirement.

Obviously, I can't speak to the specific motivations of the individual poster, only to the similarity in their use of language with other people who have been demonstrated to be acting in bad faith, but I'd suggest you avoid becoming too invested in this branch of the conversation.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

@Zauriel Mooncat.4968 said:I had a curious talk with a friend, and I finally got the courage to ask this: Why cant we cross-dress?There are many outfits and armor pieces that differ with their respective gender, but why cant we have the option to, for example, as a male use the female version of the desired outfit or desired armor piece?I understand this is controversial, but I really wish we had that option, we pass with our characters hours, days, years even, and some of us would enjoy to have that connection, to be able to cross-dress in game too and feel more feminine if you are male or more masculine if you are female.This is just an opinion, an idea for maybe a future change on the customization of the characters and have more variety available for those who desire to express through their characters who they really are and feel happier with their character, or for those who wants to have fun role-playing or want to have fun being like that, I do not judge.But I truly hope you can take in consideration my idea/opinion, i know it is controversial and I know some see it as unimportant, but is just something I really wish could be realized in the future.

(PS: sorry for my grammar errors and possible syntax errors, English is not my main language and I try my hardest to make myself clear)

Thank you very much for readingGil Softpaws

Here ya go!

You’re welcome!

Sir we have already discussed that its not about changing the gender but having a bigger variety of femenine looking armors or masculine looking armors and outfits, to have the option to be able to change between the styles, and ges, we have aslo talked about possible costs and also the different dissadvantages and advantages due to character modeling, time, and difficulty of the work.

I’m male, but how are you just gonna totally assumed gender like that? Lucky that micro-aggression don’t bother me, because I ain’t no snowflake...

I’ll be honest and say I didn’t read through this thread, but I thought I’d be helpful... Your suggestion is not gonna happen, though, so just make use of those makeover kits. The devs aren’t going to spend the next year reworking all armor models to fit on all gender and race models. Creating armors is already super time and resources intensive for them, as they stated.

But dear sir I did not ment to be aggressive in any kind of way, sorry if my tone seemed that way.

As a tip: that response there is someone using the language commonly associated with pro-discrimination groups, in the way that they frequently attempt to weaponize what they see as an unwelcome requirement to care about other people against they folks they see as involved in creating that requirement.

Obviously, I can't speak to the specific motivations of the individual poster, only to the similarity in their use of language with other people who have been demonstrated to be acting in bad faith, but I'd suggest you avoid becoming too invested in this branch of the conversation.

I see... okey, understandable sir. Sorry if I may seem too naive or too invested, I just am trying to keep a respectful trend. But I highly understand what you are saying.

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

@"sorudo.9054" said:ppl are to prudish to even consider this, i would not mind but oh well..

GW2 features, and has for a long time, an explicitly transgender NPC in Lions Arch. So, ArenaNet are clearly willing to support trans representation in the game.

(I apologize first hand for possible intruscion on replies) But exelent observation, anet would possibly support such idea due to them already doing such things.

Nevertheless, I do understand too the posture of Sorudo, there are people against trans in game

Personally, I take the view "kitten those folks". They are welcome to take their opinions to literally any other game available today, where they will not be subject to the unwelcome intrusion of people different from them into their theoretically safe spaces.

I just wish, as a genderfluid person that likes to have male characters with female-like clothing and look cute over all, to have a larger ammount of choices when it comesnto clothing in game, i really dont understand why is socially looked wrong, I do take in count that, in a technological aspect, it is hard to re shape models and such. But I wish anet would take inncount all the ideas here for implementation.(Also I trully sorry but was a bit hard for me to understand what you ment so, I hope I gave a good response dear sir, I still kindly thank you for your comments)

@"sorudo.9054" said:ppl are to prudish to even consider this, i would not mind but oh well..

GW2 features, and has for a long time, an explicitly transgender NPC in Lions Arch. So, ArenaNet are clearly willing to support trans representation in the game.

(I apologize first hand for possible intruscion on replies) But exelent observation, anet would possibly support such idea due to them already doing such things.

Nevertheless, I do understand too the posture of Sorudo, there are people against trans in game

Personally, I take the view "kitten those folks". They are welcome to take their opinions to literally any other game available today, where they will not be subject to the unwelcome intrusion of people different from them into their theoretically safe spaces.

I just wish, as a genderfluid person that likes to have male characters with female-like clothing and look cute over all, to have a larger ammount of choices when it comesnto clothing in game, i really dont understand why is socially looked wrong, I do take in count that, in a technological aspect, it is hard to re shape models and such. But I wish anet would take inncount all the ideas here for implementation.(Also I trully sorry but was a bit hard for me to understand what you ment so, I hope I gave a good response dear sir, I still kindly thank you for your comments)

But what youre requesting makes no sense for some races. For example going for "girly" clothing on a charr would be lore breaking - that is NOT the charr culture. They all dress the same way because they want to be viewed as equals.

@Cerioth.7062 said:

But what youre requesting makes no sense for some races. For example going for "girly" clothing on a charr would be lore breaking - that is NOT the charr culture. They all dress the same way because they want to be viewed as equals.

Oh well yes I understand this, but this is personal for each person dear sir. In this case I do believe we have to separate the lore because this is the personal choice of the person/character, not the choice of the game.

Not to mention that already some outfits and armor combinations break a bit that mold within charr characters.

@Cerioth.7062 said:

I'm not sure that individual charr breaking that social convention is any more lore-breaking than an individual human breaking that same real-world social convention is "lore-breaking" in the real world. Charr unarguably have these social views, but we can also say that at least some Charr (a) still have a love for the gods, hello flame legion, and (b) don't fit into the social legion mold, hello Olmekhan.

Given that, allowing the option doesn't really seem substantially game-breaking to me. Though I'm assuming that the current way that male vs female presentation of the gear on Charr, and Asura, happens is retained, which is to say, not that much differentiation.

Oh well yes I understand this, but this is personal for each person dear sir. In this case I do believe we have to separate the lore because this is the personal choice of the person/character, not the choice of the game.

Not to mention that already some outfits and armor combinations break a bit that mold within charr characters.

I'd appreciate if

1) you did not assume my gender2) you would not call me sir

While I am male, I do not have any desire to be called titles I dont wish to be called.

As for that, you do realise that they would have to re-design every single charr armor to make a distinctive "girly" look? How would the game even treat this change in practice? We cant just change up the looks of the gear for all charr females and then have that to be a cross-dress option for males. That sounds like a big waste of resources and not something worth spending development time on. The cost effect is not big enough to justify the change. They already struggle with making new armor sets.

@Cerioth.7062 said:

I'd appreciate if

While I am male, I do not have any desire to be called titles I dont wish to be called.

As for that, you do realise that they would have to re-design every single charr armor to make a distinctive "girly" look? How would the game even treat this change in practice? We cant just change up the looks of the gear for all charr females and then have that to be a cross-dress option for males. That sounds like a big waste of resources and not something worth spending development time on. The cost effect is not big enough to justify the change. They already struggle with making new armor sets.

Ah no no x.x I havent been using sir in this trend at all as a way to despict a male but as a stranger (since at the end of the day you do all are strangers and its another why I am trying to be as respectful as possible) I do am male too but I really never mind any gender related pronouns, but highly understandable.

As for the subject, we have discussed this in the previous comments, many have talked out this concern and it has been told in previous different things such as a separate payed service, a possible thing for new outfits and armors released in the future (and then maybe even later on a rework for older armors and outfits once the devs have time in their hands) and also that could be like the total make over but for the armor (but that kidna falls too on the separate payed service) but yes, we have already takled this a lot on the previous comments and I do understand that it is also an extra work, and also understand the implications too as many critics have pointed out in the previous comments about time and resources. yet still, I neet to point again that this is simply an idea, and opinion, something that obviously is like a clay, you have the clay, but needs shaping, needs work in order to actually be something to be worked with and that I understand it. It does take a lot of time to have an idea made into a posibilty, I dont imply by any chance that this needs to be ain inmediate thing, rather an idea with a window of posibility or part of the accumulation of many ideas into a possibility.

(I hope I was able to explain myself clearly, no agressive nor unrespectful tones ment in my posts, I am trying my best with my English too)

I see... okey, understandable sir. Sorry if I may seem too naive or too invested, I just am trying to keep a respectful trend. But I highly understand what you are saying.

No, you're fine. In fact, I wish more posters would be as respectful and professional as you have been in this thread. One poster's opinion does not make it so or true. It's their opinion. And my opinion is that you're an excellent asset and example for the community. :)

Keep fighting the good fight.

I'd appreciate if

Ah no no x.x I havent been using sir in this trend at all as a way to despict a male but as a stranger (since at the end of the day you do all are strangers and its another why I am trying to be as respectful as possible) I do am male too but I really never mind any gender related pronouns, but highly understandable.

As for the subject, we have discussed this in the previous comments, many have talked out this concern and it has been told in previous different things such as a separate payed service, a possible thing for new outfits and armors released in the future (and then maybe even later on a rework for older armors and outfits once the devs have time in their hands) and also that could be like the total make over but for the armor (but that kidna falls too on the separate payed service) but yes, we have already takled this a lot on the previous comments and I do understand that it is also an extra work, and also understand the implications too as many critics have pointed out in the previous comments about time and resources. yet still, I neet to point again that this is simply an idea, and opinion, something that obviously is like a clay, you have the clay, but needs shaping, needs work in order to actually be something to be worked with and that I understand it. It does take a lot of time to have an idea made into a posibilty, I dont imply by any chance that this needs to be ain inmediate thing, rather an idea with a window of posibility or part of the accumulation of many ideas into a possibility.

(I hope I was able to explain myself clearly, no agressive nor unrespectful tones ment in my posts, I am trying my best with my English too)

And again, waste of time and resources. There is not enough interest to warrant this, and in fact it is more likely to upset people than make them happy. Anet will care more about the playerbase that they will upset than the playerbase they will cater to.While I dont mind cross-dressing as an idea, I am HIGHLY against designing any particularly "feminine" or "masculine" armors for charr. There are a LOT better things to put that extra money and development time on - such as releasing new armor sets and fixing issues with old ones - clipping with helms, hair not showing, charr horns and asura ears ignored, claws clipping from boots etc etc.

@Felipe.1807 said:oh god no lol last thing i wanna see is male norn using T2 or T3 cultural female armor lol...I would rather have a more Dark Souls kind of aproach then, armor dosent change change based on your character gender.

But what about a charr or an asura?

What about Charr and Asuras? This races have basically the same body tipe regardless of the gender(whatever if this is based on lore of just Anet laziness lol), makes sense for male and female use the same kind of armor, but Norn and Humans(and sylvaries) have big diferences between males and females(honestly norns dont even look from the same race lol), so not sure where you trying to get...anyway, as someone allready said, just get yourself a nice Total Makeover Kit for only 350 gems and have fun!

Have the feeling that this thread is gonna get closed...

@Felipe.1807 said:

@Felipe.1807 said:oh god no lol last thing i wanna see is male norn using T2 or T3 cultural female armor lol...I would rather have a more Dark Souls kind of aproach then, armor dosent change change based on your character gender.

What about Charr and Asuras? This races have basically the same body tipe regardless of the gender(whatever if this is based on lore of just Anet laziness lol), makes sense for male and female use the same kind of armor, but Norn and Humans(and sylvaries) have big diferences between males and females(honestly norns dont even look from the same race lol), so not sure where you trying to get...anyway, as someone allready said, just get yourself a nice Total Makeover Kit for only 350 gems and have fun!

From what I understand they want that charrs get re-designed feminine armor... which makes zero sense whatsoever.

@Cerioth.7062 said:

From what I understand they want that charrs get re-designed feminine armor... which makes zero sense whatsoever.

No not just charr, I mean every race, I am asura myself, and Ilove to be femenine looking asura as male asura.

No not just charr, I mean every race, I am asura myself, and Ilove to be femenine looking asura as male asura.

Yah, but asura, sylvari, human and norn already have differences between female and male armor looks - charr do not. And I would prefer charr to stay that way. It is one of the things that makes them unique as a race and truly gender friendly as the male and female charr use the same clothes.

@Felipe.1807 said:

But thats the thing, I wish there was something like the toal make over kit but for armors, the choice there to apply the female armor style on the male (no matter the race, its for all races, and yes we have talked that it is a hard and extra job and because of that, I do believe anet would have all the right to charge extra for such)

And well I dont know how a closed threat works but, I will guess that that means they have taken in consideration the options and opinions, will think about it, and make this threat from stop growing am I correct?

@Cerioth.7062 said:

Yah, but asura, sylvari, human and norn already have differences between female and male armor looks - charr do not. And I would prefer charr to stay that way. It is one of the things that makes them unique as a race and truly gender friendly as the male and female charr use the same clothes.

well as I said, I understand what you mean, but maybe other charr users want this too? in any cases, Ijust wish we could have the choise to choose the counterpart of the other gender, let it be payed, or any of the other options.

Also reguarding to the other reply you gave, yes it is true there are also many other issues with armors, but again Idid mention too I understand that this opinion/idea/possible implementation is simply that, I have understood throughout the many different talkings with many critics here that there are also many other problems that need apointment and mine is simply one of lets say, 20, so again, I do not want to imply my idea is a main or a most thing, but a transcition, something that is done as the game evolves, not something to worry inmediatly unless the team has the time for it.

well as I said, I understand what you mean, but maybe other charr users want this too? in any cases, Ijust wish we could have the choise to choose the counterpart of the other gender, let it be payed, or any of the other options.

Also reguarding to the other reply you gave, yes it is true there are also many other issues with armors, but again Idid mention too I understand that this opinion/idea/possible implementation is simply that, I have understood throughout the many different talkings with many critics here that there are also many other problems that need apointment and mine is simply one of lets say, 20, so again, I do not want to imply my idea is a main or a most thing, but a transcition, something that is done as the game evolves, not something to worry inmediatly unless the team has the time for it.

How would you even go about making a feminine looking armor for charr? They have no breasts or any other feminine forms. Charr male and female have the same body build. Considering the type of their body build it is going to be fairly difficult to even make the armor look GOOD while looking feminine.

Not to mention that making armor models is actually really frustrating, complicated and hard work. This is a huge overhaul you are asking for. A few people wanting the change does not mean ít is worthwhile for the devs. Gathering extra funds wont mean that they will have the workers or the time to fullfill your request.

@"Sylent.3165" said:Look....this is a video game. Just like in real life there is only two genders end of story. No matter what someone might feel inside they are male or they are female. Males dress like males in the game and females dress like females. I do not see any reason to change this.

I am sorry if I sound agressive/rude/rough or if my comment is seen as an attack to an opinion, but I do need to strongly disagree with such statement.

First of all, this is not "just a game" this is an MMO, you spent, as I previously stated, days, months, and even years with the character you have creeated, you invest yourself with the game in many ways, emotionally being simply one of many.

Second, you imply the same thing in real life, seclusion, "there are 2 genders, deal with it" I am sorry sir but is like saying there are just one sexuality, and if you need refferences, there are many gay couples in this game, and there is a transgender male in Lion's Arch, so, no, its not jsut a game sir, such a bold statement (with the outmust respect, bold) rather feels damaging towards what a game should be in these days, an evolution that fits the new morals, idiosyncrasies, and inclusions.

@Ardenwolfe.8590 said:

No, you're fine. In fact, I wish more posters would be as respectful and professional as you have been in this thread. One poster's opinion does not make it so or true. It's their opinion. And my opinion is that you're an excellent asset and example for the community. :)

Keep fighting the good fight.

Well, I trully thank you for such encouragement, I will try to keep up my behaviour and try my best.

@Cerioth.7062 said:

How would you even go about making a feminine looking armor for charr? They have no breasts or any other feminine forms. Charr male and female have the same body build. Considering the type of their body build it is going to be fairly difficult to even make the armor look GOOD while looking feminine.

Not to mention that making armor models is actually really frustrating, complicated and hard work. This is a huge overhaul you are asking for. A few people wanting the change does not mean ít is worthwhile for the devs. Gathering extra funds wont mean that they will have the workers or the time to fullfill your request.

Oh no, but the same can be said about the female Asuras! (with respect to this trend) they have no breasts neither, but what I mean is thelook of it, lets put as example the new outfit that started this all and that made me talk about this, the Elonian Elementarist Outfit, its not the breast but the look of it, the sexy/cute/femenine look of it what I wish my male asura had, and this also goes for other outfits that are gender bias (I said that right? as in, they differ from each gender)

And again yes, I do understand the heavy implication of extra work thats why I imply the payment or the use of it for other armros in the future, I dont want my statements or comments to even let a slip of intention of undermine the hard work that Anet applies when it comes to armor design, this is an idea, if they can do it, would be amazing, but if they feel is something that is too resourcefull or need more time or anything I will assept that too because I take in count that it is true that I can be part of a minority that actually want this, please do not think for a single second that I dont take in count the hard work that anet puts in all these.

Oh no, but the same can be said about the female Asuras! (with respect to this trend) they have no breasts neither, but what I mean is thelook of it, lets put as example the new outfit that started this all and that made me talk about this, the Elonian Elementarist Outfit, its not the breast but the look of it, the sexy/cute/femenine look of it what I wish my male asura had, and this also goes for other outfits that are gender bias (I said that right? as in, they differ from each gender)

And again yes, I do understand the heavy implication of extra work thats why I imply the payment or the use of it for other armros in the future, I dont want my statements or comments to even let a slip of intention of undermine the hard work that Anet applies when it comes to armor design, this is an idea, if they can do it, would be amazing, but if they feel is something that is too resourcefull or need more time or anything I will assept that too because I take in count that it is true that I can be part of a minority that actually want this, please do not think for a single second that I dont take in count the hard work that anet puts in all these.

The thing with asura though is that feminine armor is much, much easier to design for them though they do not have breasts as they are more humanoid. Charr are very beastly and less humanoid. Their posture is very different, and so is their shape. It would be very hard to design something that you want that would not look ridiculous on them.

But thats the thing, I wish there was something like the toal make over kit but for armors, the choice there to apply the female armor style on the male (no matter the race, its for all races, and yes we have talked that it is a hard and extra job and because of that, I do believe anet would have all the right to charge extra for such)

And well I dont know how a closed threat works but, I will guess that that means they have taken in consideration the options and opinions, will think about it, and make this threat from stop growing am I correct?

Okay okay, regardles of opinions, right and wrong, etc, lets just look at the facts...you know Skyrim? Great game right? I love that game, and also its mod community...but one thing that ever bothered me is that female characters are allways got more attention then males, the number of Mod Armors made to female characters is really disproportional...one day was released a really awesome armor, but surprise, was for female only...but I though to myself, well the armor is badass and its fullplate armor, wont look that bad on my Dovahkiin....well it looked worse then bad, looked hideous lol a stuff from nightmares, you had this feminine body with a giant male angry nord head(males are by default bigger then females), i had a couple of laughs and removed the mod...point is, most Modders dont even bother doing armors to fit both genders cause that take way to much effort, how many armors does GW2 have? Now imagine having to take all that and reshape the armor so it can fit the opossite gender characters, i mean, we talking here about all female armors to fit on male and vice and versa, that is a lot of work...lot of work that could go to something more productive...I stand for what I said earlier, just get a Total Makeover Kit and have fun, if you are creative enough I bet you can mess aroud with the sliders to make a female character look more masculine.

About closed threads...i mean that this is controversial topic, is useless discussion that will get nowhere, I bet is easier for we see a gay scene between Logan and Rytlock then to see people being able to crossdress on the game.

@Cerioth.7062 said:

I'd appreciate if

Welcome to the Internets, where everyone is a 12 year old entitled male Juvenal delinquent brat.. until they can prove otherwise.

and.. Welcome again to the Internet where most people can't prove otherwise.

Archived