Gw1 Why it is genius and gw2 just meh.

@Greyraven.4258 said:For me it's community...GW2 is probably the most accepting inclusive community in gaming today...GW1, was often times a very toxic cesspool.

I never had huge issues with the community in GW1. Actually, it's pretty much the same in both games. There are jerks here and there, but overall the community is nice.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Nuka Cola.8520 said:Really is simple. GW2 has no content. No matter what you do, there's no goal EVER. PVE is as pointless and they come in an mmo. PVP is more limited than Tetris. Even being AFK in Spamadan was better in gw1 than being in the boring LA in gw2.

The only thing GW2 has going for it is the combat system, but even then its not as great as it could've been because the build variety is non existent.

You get maybe a hundred hours out of a content rich single player game, yet you have thousands of people who get thousands of hours of content out of GW2. Your confusing personal taste with game design.

@vesica tempestas.1563 said:

@Nuka Cola.8520 said:Really is simple. GW2 has no content. No matter what you do, there's no goal EVER. PVE is as pointless and they come in an mmo. PVP is more limited than Tetris. Even being AFK in Spamadan was better in gw1 than being in the boring LA in gw2.

The only thing GW2 has going for it is the combat system, but even then its not as great as it could've been because the build variety is non existent.

You get maybe a hundred hours out of a content rich single player game, yet you have thousands of people who get thousands of hours of content out of GW2. Your confusing personal taste with game design.

In a single player game (such as god of war as an example) you get QUALITY writing, story, characters, voice acting, set pieces. None of that is present in GW2. Its all cringy/kiddy writing, bottom of the barrel voice acting, and for the rest, well, forget about the rest cuz none is in gw2. Don't compare an mmo to a single player game because an mmo will permanently fail against a quality single player experience when it comes to most things but variety and longevity. Lots of people get thousands of hours in mmo's by doing nothing, just standing afk in whatever place. Is that content? Is meaningless open world with time gated meta events that have non existent reward system supposed to be content? Gw1 had quality pve and pvp content. Gw2 has decent wvw. Everything else is a mess.

@Nuka Cola.8520 said:

In a single player game (such as god of war as an example) you get QUALITY writing, story, characters, voice acting, set pieces. None of that is present in GW2. Its all cringy/kiddy writing, bottom of the barrel voice acting, and for the rest, well, forget about the rest cuz none is in gw2. Don't compare an mmo to a single player game because an mmo will permanently fail against a quality single player experience when it comes to most things but variety and longevity. Lots of people get thousands of hours in mmo's by doing nothing, just standing afk in whatever place. Is that content? Is meaningless open world with time gated meta events that have non existent reward system supposed to be content? Gw1 had quality pve and pvp content. Gw2 has decent wvw. Everything else is a mess.

And thats still opinion. You can compare MMOs to single player games, you want cringy stories, i give you Skyrim, hell i give you fallout 4, Obilivion, KOTOR II, just about every RTS games story. GW2 has quality PVE too, to me, and to alot of other players. you dont like it, which is perfectly fine, but to say it as a fact is wrong.

@Nuka Cola.8520 said:

so the people that get thousands of hours of entertainment do nothing do they, so your argument stands lol.,Well you are wrong, and I know you are wrong because i've been in a guild since day 1 with many other players that have indeed spent thousands of hours in the game - doing wvw, pvp, open world, fractals, dungeons, raids. fact is its your perspective that's the issue, your playing a game you apparently don't enjoy??. Sounds like you should stick to fps shooters or single player games.

My feeling is that both games are apples to oranges. If you ask me which I like better, GW1 wins that one.

GW2 certainly evolved some mechanics like jumping, dodging, swimming, etc. but from a gameplay standpoint shares very little with GW1. As far as I am concerned, GW2 is not a true sequel to GW1, and thus that gameplay itch is only satisfied by GW1 which never got the sequel it deserved.

Do I like GW2? Sure, there are many parts of it I find fun, but i's just not the same.

@Dante.1763 said:

And thats still opinion. You can compare MMOs to single player games, you want cringy stories, i give you Skyrim, hell i give you fallout 4, Obilivion, KOTOR II, just about every RTS games story. GW2 has quality PVE too, to me, and to alot of other players.
you
dont like it, which is perfectly fine, but to say it as a fact is wrong.

oblivion, skyrim, fallout4 all have enough gameplay to last you for hundreds upon hundreds of hours. So when someone says "You get maybe a hundred hours out of a content rich single player game, yet you have thousands of people who get thousands of hours of content out of GW2" that's false, because the same could be said about those games. They're also all made by Bethesda, the dev/publisher known to have garbage writing. Compare gw2 story, voice acting, writing, etc, etc to God of War and see how it pales in comparison. Its not even close, its like 10 leagues behind.

@Nuka Cola.8520 said:

And thats still opinion. You can compare MMOs to single player games, you want cringy stories, i give you Skyrim, hell i give you fallout 4, Obilivion, KOTOR II, just about every RTS games story. GW2 has quality PVE too, to me, and to alot of other players.
you

oblivion, skyrim, fallout4 all have enough gameplay to last you for hundreds upon hundreds of hours. So when someone says "You get maybe a hundred hours out of a content rich single player game, yet you have thousands of people who get thousands of hours of content out of GW2" that's false, because the same could be said about those games. They're also all made by Bethesda, the dev/publisher known to have garbage writing. Compare gw2 story, voice acting, writing, etc, etc to God of War and see how it pales in comparison. Its not even close, its like 10 leagues behind.

writing in GW2 is rubbish, we know this, but GW2 is a big game that is not just about the writing (its the poorest aspect of GW2 imo). The people who play GW2 obviously see past the writing and get thousands of hours pleasure out of GW doing PVP, WVW, Open world PVE, Dungeons, Fractals. all of which are on par or superior to other AAA mmorpg. There's a reason why GW last's and is played by many.

@Nuka Cola.8520 said:

you

oblivion, skyrim, fallout4 all have enough gameplay to last you for hundreds upon hundreds of hours. So when someone says "You get maybe a hundred hours out of a content rich single player game, yet you have thousands of people who get thousands of hours of content out of GW2" that's false, because the same could be said about those games. They're also all made by Bethesda, the dev/publisher known to have garbage writing. Compare gw2 story, voice acting, writing, etc, etc to God of ar and see how it pales in comparison. Its not even close, its like 10 leagues behind.

You mean the game i cant play because i find the combat system awful? and yes im referring to God of war, the story may be good(I dont think its much better than GW2 as it amounts to "kill gods for revenge", but i couldnt stand the gameplay to actually play through more than one game. ive played Skyrim for at least 800 hours(both it and the special edition put together.) and Fallout 4 for almost 500, since launch, and as bad as KOTOR II was(not made by bethesda by the way) i think i played for 100. By comparison, ive spent over 5000 hours in GW2(it would have been closer to probably 7000 or more but ive been deployed twice in the last two years and was thus unable to play). Gw2 has enough content, and i mean content, not grinding achievements, i only do the ones i want to do, that ive played that much and still have stuff to do, it doesnt matter where this stuff is(WVW, PVE, PVP, Fractals, raids) i have stuff to do. Is the voice acting cringy? sure yes it is, but after playing final fantasy 10, nothing comes close that games level of cringe. The writing is on par with Gw1 in almsot every case, and i think stronger than GW1 in PoF, the story as well.

"Hey, let's all argue about what game is better, based on our subjective opinions, while making completely irrelevant comparisons between two games of completely different styles and mechanics"

Awesome. Frankly, When i compare Pong to GW2 ... I like Pong much better. Please make a Pong-like game Anet, just because I like it more.

Just gonna note, the voice acting in gw2 is superb and involves the biggest names in the gaming VA industry. People hating it are of course free to dislike it, but I felt like I needed to point this out...Also, now I feel like the only one that loves the writing... The thing is, video game stories have genres, just like books or movies. Not everyone is gonna enjoy reading Shakespeare, some will call the plays (or sonnets) too shallow, pretentious, wordy, or confusing, and simply not enjoy them, some might not simply like drama at all, and that is fine, but that doesn't automatically make it bad writing. (I am exaggerating here a bit, but the point stands...). X:

@Obtena.7952 said:

Awesome. Frankly, When i compare Pong to GW2 ... I like Pong much better. Please make a Pong-like game Anet, just because I like it more.

Way to drive into absurdity. GW1 is an Anet product, Pong is not. GW2 is based on GW1, Pong is not. Fans crave for GW1 in Anet forums, not for Pong.I explained this in earlier posts as well. Everything may be subjective, but since both games carry the same name and come from the same source, comparison is not only unavoidable, but needed, be it for the better or worse. And since there are still people who want GW1 gameplay, this debate won't stop anytime soon, as evident by the existence of this thread itself.

@"Eekasqueak.7850" said:All the people saying that GW1 had such a great story but I thought it was for the most part really bad. GW2's story isn't amazing but I think it's steadily getting better.

I partially agree with you. The story wasn't bad, it was simply generic. Served the purpose you might say. It was okay. Nothing more, nothing less. GW2 improved alot in some aspects:

• Story
  • voice acting
  • character development
  • lore

Yet I still prefer GW1's gameplay, as that was what made it an actual game. Going out with a grop, be it heroes or real people, felt alot more dynamic. Everyone had his role, while GW2 comes down to "deal dmg" most of the time. Not always, sure, but it lacks the distinction of classes, their roles and a general feeling of team composition, both in player and enemy groups, as mentioned in OP's video.

While I liked GW1 in its time I never really dared travel into the depths of the higher-level areas as imho the difficulty was quite high when only playing with henchies. Perhaps I needed to git gud, idk, but I prefer GW2 a gazillion times because the combat system is just sooo much more my cup of tea. I play every part of GW2 (except raids) and greatly enjoy myself. As it is, I still think highly of GW1 as a piece of art and lore, but from a gamer's perspective, I don't see myself returning to it anytime soon (left it on my PC nonetheless =) ).

@Imba.9451 said:

Way to drive into absurdity. GW1 is an Anet product, Pong is not. GW2 is based on GW1, Pong is not. Fans crave for GW1 in Anet forums, not for Pong.I explained this in earlier posts as well. Everything may be subjective, but since both games carry the same name and come from the same source, comparison is not only unavoidable, but needed, be it for the better or worse. And since there are still people who want GW1 gameplay, this debate won't stop anytime soon, as evident by the existence of this thread itself.

@"Eekasqueak.7850" said:All the people saying that GW1 had such a great story but I thought it was for the most part really bad. GW2's story isn't amazing but I think it's steadily getting better.

I partially agree with you. The story wasn't bad, it was simply generic. Served the purpose you might say. It was okay. Nothing more, nothing less. GW2 improved alot in some aspects:
  • Story
  • voice acting
  • character development
  • lore

Yet I still prefer GW1's gameplay, as that was what made it an actual game. Going out with a grop, be it heroes or real people, felt alot more dynamic. Everyone had his role, while GW2 comes down to "deal dmg" most of the time. Not always, sure, but it lacks the distinction of classes, their roles and a general feeling of team composition, both in player and enemy groups, as mentioned in OP's video.

I prefer GW2 mechanically for the exploration and more dynamic combat personally. I can only tolerate the lack of a Z axis in old school RPG games too.

@Eekasqueak.7850 said:

@Eekasqueak.7850 said:All the people saying that GW1 had such a great story but I thought it was for the most part really bad. GW2's story isn't amazing but I think it's steadily getting better.

• Story
  • voice acting
  • character development
  • lore

I prefer GW2 mechanically for the exploration and more dynamic combat personally. I can only tolerate the lack of a Z axis in old school RPG games too.

Preferances I guess. While I absolutely adore the verticality of Verdant Brink (my favorite GW2 map by far), I don't find myself disliking games in wich I cannot jump. If the game, by design, doesn't need you to be able to jump, then so be it.I also agree with you on the exploration part. Some later maps in GW1 had quite some level of detail, but GW2 certainly topped that. Again, following the Day-Questlines in Verdant Brink was so much fun. The characters, the dialogues, the general athmosphere of unlikely companions being trapped in a jungle that wants to murder the shit out of you and while also not knowing wich Sylvari to trust - those Questlines have been incredibly enjoyable. Also Shashuu as highest-in-rank? That was so freaking cute.

@"Plautze.6290" said:While I liked GW1 in its time I never really dared travel into the depths of the higher-level areas as imho the difficulty was quite high when only playing with henchies. Perhaps I needed to git gud, idk, but I prefer GW2 a gazillion times because the combat system is just sooo much more my cup of tea. I play every part of GW2 (except raids) and greatly enjoy myself. As it is, I still think highly of GW1 as a piece of art and lore, but from a gamer's perspective, I don't see myself returning to it anytime soon (left it on my PC nonetheless =) ).

More power to you. Enjoy wat you enjoy.To me however, the general content of GW2's fighting system lacks some kind of methodical approach. It's just "smack stuff till it dies to death" basically. (Not speaking about raids)However, just to end this on a positive note, the boss designs have improved SO much during GW2's lifetime. When I compare early dungeon bosses with never fractal or living story bosses, the difference in design is huge. It's still about bashing skulls in, but the bosses feel like they have an actual mechanic you need to learn in order to succeed. Lazarus, Balthasar and my favorite boss, the unclean, offer a great contrast to older bosses.

@Imba.9451 said:

@Eekasqueak.7850 said:All the people saying that GW1 had such a great story but I thought it was for the most part really bad. GW2's story isn't amazing but I think it's steadily getting better.

• Story
  • voice acting
  • character development
  • lore

Preferances I guess. While I absolutely adore the verticality of Verdant Brink (my favorite GW2 map by far), I don't find myself disliking games in wich I cannot jump. If the game, by design, doesn't need you to be able to jump, then so be it.I also agree with you on the exploration part. Some later maps in GW1 had quite some level of detail, but GW2 certainly topped that. Again, following the Day-Questlines in Verdant Brink was so much fun. The characters, the dialogues, the general athmosphere of unlikely companions being trapped in a jungle that wants to murder the kitten out of you and while also not knowing wich Sylvari to trust - those Questlines have been incredibly enjoyable. Also Shashuu as highest-in-rank? That was so freaking cute.

@"Plautze.6290" said:While I liked GW1 in its time I never really dared travel into the depths of the higher-level areas as imho the difficulty was quite high when only playing with henchies. Perhaps I needed to git gud, idk, but I prefer GW2 a gazillion times because the combat system is just sooo much more my cup of tea. I play every part of GW2 (except raids) and greatly enjoy myself. As it is, I still think highly of GW1 as a piece of art and lore, but from a gamer's perspective, I don't see myself returning to it anytime soon (left it on my PC nonetheless =) ).

More power to you. Enjoy wat you enjoy.To me however, the general content of GW2's fighting system lacks some kind of methodical approach. It's just "smack stuff till it dies to death" basically. (Not speaking about raids)

For me it's the Crystal Desert maps that I always like going back to. The minimap wasn't really designed with verticality in mind and it can get confusing.

@Imba.9451 said:Preferances I guess. While I absolutely adore the verticality of Verdant Brink (my favorite GW2 map by far), I don't find myself disliking games in wich I cannot jump. If the game, by design, doesn't need you to be able to jump, then so be it.I also agree with you on the exploration part. Some later maps in GW1 had quite some level of detail, but GW2 certainly topped that. Again, following the Day-Questlines in Verdant Brink was so much fun. The characters, the dialogues, the general athmosphere of unlikely companions being trapped in a jungle that wants to murder the kitten out of you and while also not knowing wich Sylvari to trust - those Questlines have been incredibly enjoyable. Also Shashuu as highest-in-rank? That was so freaking cute.Verdant Brink forever!

@Imba.9451 said:

Way to drive into absurdity. GW1 is an Anet product, Pong is not. GW2 is based on GW1, Pong is not. Fans crave for GW1 in Anet forums, not for Pong.

I don't think it is ... I think those connections you are making are actually pretty superficial. If Anet were making GW2 just a simple extension of GW1, it would be much more obvious to us. The basis for comparison is almost nothing, other than they are both Anet products that share some lore.

GW2 is it's OWN game. People complaining that GW1 is better than GW2 because of personal preference don't seem to understand what objectivity is. There is almost no relevance to this game to make those claims in these forums.

@Obtena.7952 said:

Way to drive into absurdity. GW1 is an Anet product, Pong is not. GW2 is based on GW1, Pong is not. Fans crave for GW1 in Anet forums, not for Pong.

I don't think it is ... I think those connections you are making are actually pretty superficial. If Anet were making GW2 just a simple extension of GW1, it would be much more obvious to us. The basis for comparison is almost nothing, other than they are both Anet products that share some lore.

GW2 is it's OWN game. People complaining that GW1 is better than GW2 because of personal preference don't seem to understand what objectivity is. There is almost no relevance to this game to make those claims in these forums.

I could quote everything I said to hold against this, but since you only disregard it as superficial, while making Pong alliterations, I don't think there is any more to discuss here.People want GW1. Fact. And nothing you say will make that go away, especially not in a thread like this.

Like I said, this forum is the best place for GW1 fans to be heard. I dunno why you want to dictate what people are allowed to say and what not. Like I say, you simply drive it into absurdity with your comparision, wich are a true "apples and oranges" example.

Edit: Also, writing "shrug" to show disinterest in a certain topic, while also shwoing a strong interest in making other read your opinion about this topic is rather ironic. I think you have made your point clear. You don't like people bringing GW1 up. I tried to explain to you, how threads like this came and will come up in the future, and how it shows affection from old fans to a game, wich has been abanded by the devs, so to speak.Unless you have anything new to add to this, moking other peoples won't help you in your cause. Enjoy what you enjoy. Let others also enjoy what they enjoy, and get vocal for it. Thats how a forum works. And sometimes, people make a change. Look at lootboxes and the whole EA debacel for example.

Archived