Let us leave when we are done

@"SlippyCheeze.5483" said:Seriously, though, you don't have to stick around while the counter ticks down. The point of the participation meter is to enforce that people don't just idle in your base and get rewards. It isn't intended to be "delayed gratification", it's intended to be a punishment for not doing stuff. The expectation is that you should just leave WvW when you are done, with a full meter, probably after the current tick finishes.

That may be the intent but it's not how it ends up working. If you COULD get rewards if you don't leave, then psychologically you "lose" those rewards if you leave without standing around.

I usually pip down but on the occasions that I don't it doesn't bother me at all since I am obv choosing to leave those rewards on the table in favor of some other rewards or possibly even rl. I'm also losing rewards by choosing to pip down now instead of play fifteen more minutes and then pip down. I don't see any difference . . .

In any case, I would much MUCH rather anet spend its time on the alliance system, reward track queues, siege balance or any of a dozen other issues rather than deal with this problem which is at worst a minor annoyance . . .

@Blocki.4931 said:

@Blodeuyn.2751 said:I do synth runs and refresh siege while I pip out. I'd be happier if they'd put crafting stations in OBS so I could do daily crafting while pipping there, but I don't see an issue with the current situation.

tbh I don't want the convenient crafter crowd™ to go on these maps. Smart people already use WvW as a premium area for near instant access to bank and tp for free without having to walk back to wherever you were xD

thats why he asked for crafting stations in obsidian sanctum...nobody cares if there is a crowd of ppl, best put them in the arena so you have to fight for them, lol

anyways arenanet wont put them in those places because there wouldnt be any reason to buy the airship pass etc

@"SlippyCheeze.5483" said:Seriously, though, you don't have to stick around while the counter ticks down. The point of the participation meter is to enforce that people don't just idle in your base and get rewards. It isn't intended to be "delayed gratification", it's intended to be a punishment for not doing stuff. The expectation is that you should just leave WvW when you are done, with a full meter, probably after the current tick finishes.Funny how it actually achieves the complete opposite of that.

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

@"Cloud Windfoot Omega.7485" said:just let it tick when offline and out of mapwhat is the problem with that, they are already earned

Well, that is the thing: they are not "already earned": the reward comes from being in the WvW map at the end of each tick of the game.

The participation score determines how big the reward is at that point, but it isn't actually the "reward you have earned" at all.

suuureBecause idling on the full map is great for the health of WvW especially when its full, blocking others from joining. You earned the participation, it should tick weather you are there or not.

@Cloud Windfoot Omega.7485 said:

@Cloud Windfoot Omega.7485 said:just let it tick when offline and out of mapwhat is the problem with that, they are already earned

Well, that is the thing: they are not "already earned": the reward comes from being in the WvW map at the end of each tick of the game.

The participation score determines how big the reward is at that point, but it isn't actually the "reward you have earned" at all.

suuureBecause idling on the full map is great for the health of WvW especially when its full, blocking others from joining. You earned the participation, it should tick weather you are there or not.

And you can go to OS and still tick down. So.. it's also what we are trying to come up with to make OS have more things available to help make this work better.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@Cloud Windfoot Omega.7485 said:just let it tick when offline and out of mapwhat is the problem with that, they are already earned

And you can go to OS and still tick down. So.. it's also what we are trying to come up with to make OS have more things available to help make this work better.

you havnt gave a good reason why people must stay in map for these ticks

So far I’ve not even once bothered to ‘pip out’ for maximum ticket farming, just afking around is way too useless a method for me and quite frankly I cannot be bothered to do it. Never been in wvw for rewards, although it’s not all bad that now we don’t have to get broke to play our preferred game mode.

@Cloud Windfoot Omega.7485 said:

you havnt gave a good reason why people must stay in map for these ticks

There isn't a good reason to program a cashout either. :grin:

Obviously a cash out system would be for like once per day cash out.

pip down after signing/logging off would be just as good. It would just track your last pip per tick. until exhausted. It balances out because sometimes I log into wvw it can take a couple pip cycles to get participation up if wvw is dead time zone.

I think some people here completely missed the point. The OP was clearly trying to say why do we have to wait anywhere to "cash out" instead of wasting time waiting around on any map for the timer to run down.

In other words, why can't we bounce to PvE and continue playing, let the timer run there while doing something else.

Just leave when you are done, stop basing your gameplay experience on the minimal rewards of WvW. Nobody and nothing is forcing you to stay, you are choosing to waste your own time. This argument is so friggin dumb, it's akin to someone saying "Frostgorge Sound traps you into staying in that map by having events continuously show up, you can't leave and do anything else because you'll miss out on the events that keep popping up!" Oh, except the rewards from Frostgorge sound events are better than WvW...

Holy crap, people, just play the game when you want to play, then stop playing when you want to stop. Its suuuuuuuper simple.

@"Skynet.7201" said:I think some people here completely missed the point. The OP was clearly trying to say why do we have to wait anywhere to "cash out" instead of wasting time waiting around on any map for the timer to run down.

They probably are. At least on my side, it definitely feels like the OP completely missed the point, too, but whatever.

In other words, why can't we bounce to PvE and continue playing, let the timer run there while doing something else.

Because it isn't "rewards you have earned", it is "participation tracking for how involved you were in WvW". The goal is to penalize people who enter WvW and don't actively participate, not to generate additional rewards for players who did participate, then stopped.

@"SlippyCheeze.5483" said:The goal is to penalize people who enter WvW and don't actively participateNonsense. People who didn't participate in any previous version of WvW rewards never got anything. Nothing needed to be done to keep it that way. That "goal" of yours was achieved on launch.

The current system runs completely counter to what you think it should achieve. I've spent hundreds of hours only playing about a minute every 10 minutes. I wouldn't call what I do "participating", by any stretch of the imagination. Yet I get full rewards for it.

@Manasa Devi.7958 said:

@"SlippyCheeze.5483" said:The goal is to penalize people who enter WvW and don't actively participateNonsense. People who didn't participate in any previous version of WvW rewards never got anything. Nothing needed to be done to keep it that way. That "goal" of yours was achieved on launch.

It isn't mine, it is ANet. (Well, OK, my speculation about why ANet made the choices they did, but whatever.)

The same mechanism applies to, for example, the HoT meta events, where participation grows and fades in the same way as WvW.

The current system runs completely counter to what you think it should achieve. I've spent hundreds of hours only playing about a minute every 10 minutes. I wouldn't call what I do "participating", by any stretch of the imagination. Yet I get full rewards for it.

Yeah, I'm not sure it is the right mechanism, but I'm pretty confident that is the intent of the mechanism. The failure to deliver the desired results is a valid and reasonable complaint, and I feel like it should be changed to reflect that, but that isn't what this discussion is, at heart, about. This is about the question "if the participation score reflects rewards 'earned', I shouldn't have to wait for it to tick down."

The answer to which is, I believe, "it does not reflect rewards 'earned'", and everything beyond that is fluff. :)

Archived