I hope for future branching storylines..

When I started playing GW2 I loved the fact that playing the main story multiple times it had meaning, with the branching storyline, now with the new expansions and living story I don't feel motivated into playing the story more than once, because nothing changes.I really hope that the devs will realize that the branching storyline could be a big selling point and a way to keep pve players engaged more time than as it is right now.

I made my point...feel free to critique it.

It's not really that it is a bad suggestion because there is merit to it, but they have largely ruled out a return to this format due to multiple reasons - time being perhaps the largest of these factors. It would set back a lot of development time by enough of a margin that it could prove problematic.

I think it would add a lot of depth personally, but realistically it just wont be happening.

They discussed it briefly in this thread. The way the stories proliferate and then have to all be resolved means it’s unlikely to happen.

Jessica Price II.9813 ArenaNet March 15, 2018Yes and no. It's something we consider often, but consider 5 races 10 personalities 3 background options 3 background options minimum of 4 background options = 1800 potential combinations that affect the personal story BEFORE you get into choices made during the personal story. So it's more if someone mentions that we could provide a slightly tweaked alt on this line of dialogue that would be relevant to one of those combos, we'll slip it in, but otherwise the scope bloat just makes us cry in the corner whenever we think about it.

Note that even the original story wasn't branching - it started as various choices and converged into fewer and fewer choices (to the point where it really was linear - you might have a choice of what mission you did, but then on the next step, you are back to that same path and have other choices which basically are independent of the previous one).

Archived