Anet would get much more money from me....

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:The fact of the matter is with gemstore armors we had more armors released and that's what I see people complaining mostly about. And the fact that they keep releasing armor pieces both in gemstore and as exclusive RNG drops from BLC, makes the "avoid controversy" argument dead. Anet doesn't give a kitty kitty boom boom about "controversy" when it comes to gemstore. It's all about their terrible armor creation tools which are inefficient to be monetized as fast as outfits which they made exactly for the purpose of pushing revenue.

They do not want to monetize Armors, that's what the community was asking them to do so long ago. "Stop releasing armor sets on the gem store!" was a very common thread title back in the day. And Arenanet listened, no more monetization of Armor on the gem store, instead they promised to release Armor sets inside the game. Why would they go back?

Because only some players were asking for that.

Black lion weapon skins, mount skins, 600 gem weapons skins, etc there are always players asking for gem store items to be ingame rewards instead.

I think they just arent going back because armor skins is a pain for them to make.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Lambent.6375 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:The fact of the matter is with gemstore armors we had more armors released and that's what I see people complaining mostly about. And the fact that they keep releasing armor pieces both in gemstore and as exclusive RNG drops from BLC, makes the "avoid controversy" argument dead. Anet doesn't give a kitty kitty boom boom about "controversy" when it comes to gemstore. It's all about their terrible armor creation tools which are inefficient to be monetized as fast as outfits which they made exactly for the purpose of pushing revenue.

They do not want to monetize Armors, that's what the community was asking them to do so long ago. "Stop releasing armor sets on the gem store!" was a very common thread title back in the day. And Arenanet listened, no more monetization of Armor on the gem store, instead they promised to release Armor sets inside the game. Why would they go back?

Because only some players were asking for that.

Black lion weapon skins, mount skins, 600 gem weapons skins, etc there are always players asking for gem store items to be ingame rewards instead.

I think they just arent going back because armor skins is a pain for them to make.

Thats the exact reason they arent. they put out at one point i forget where the difference between time used to make armor VS outfits. the tools for outfits are much easier to do, so they go with that.

With that said, I wonder how hard it would be for them to redesign/alter existing armor sets or pieces

Like they did with the gemstore flames sets, and the lunatic sets from this Halloween.

I'd pay for a pair of heavy armor aetherblade pants without the side metal thigh attachments >_>.

it doesn't really cost more to make armor instead of outfits, the only reason why they rather not is because they need to fit it with other armors without glitching.but like allot of ppl have said over the years, we don't care about glitching as long as we can mix them.

Creating new armor sets takes at least triple the work of outfits because of one little detail: seams. Every armor piece has to look good with every other armor piece, or at least like they're all parts of an ensemble. Not only do ANet have to create a cohesive costume design, they then have to go back and match that design with every other armor piece that it might be paired with (in a variety of color samples) to make sure the design holds up "out of context". Then, if they make any changes, would have to go back again and make sure the design still holds up internally, and back and forth, until it was either good enough to ship, or bad enough to scrap.

Outfits don't have that issue. They don't have to look good out of context because they will never be out of context. That way, ANet can skip the extra QC steps and create more, faster, and cheaper costuming, as well as more creative and elaborate designs. I agree that it's not the ideal, but this is ultimately better for us, too. We're the ones who benefit primarily from the faster, cheaper, and more elaborate designs.

@"Trise.2865" said:Outfits don't have that issue. They don't have to look good out of context because they will never be out of context. That way, ANet can skip the extra QC steps and create more, faster, and cheaper costuming, as well as more creative and elaborate designs. I agree that it's not the ideal, but this is ultimately better for us, too. We're the ones who benefit primarily from the faster, cheaper, and more elaborate designs.

We? Not me, for sure. I don't have any use for things with such fixed "context".

People keep claiming that ANet stopped selling armor in the gem store, because people didn't want armor in the gem store. That's false. People asked ANet for better balance between the amount of armor in the game and that in the gem store, because we went for a very long time getting the majority of armor in the gem store only. People asked for BOTH.

I've never understood WHY it takes this particular game so long to make armor sets. I've played other games that were able to put out quality armor at much faster rates and GW2 is a far superior game. Maybe they need a team that only makes armor, weapons, and outfits, but nothing else? Then they could TRY to put 60-65% of it in the gem store and the other 35-40% in game.

@videoboy.4162 said:People keep claiming that ANet stopped selling armor in the gem store, because people didn't want armor in the gem store. That's false. People asked ANet for better balance between the amount of armor in the game and that in the gem store, because we went for a very long time getting the majority of armor in the gem store only. People asked for BOTH.

I've never understood WHY it takes this particular game so long to make armor sets. I've played other games that were able to put out quality armor at much faster rates and GW2 is a far superior game. Maybe they need a team that only makes armor, weapons, and outfits, but nothing else? Then they could TRY to put 60-65% of it in the gem store and the other 35-40% in game.

Anet seems to have made some decisions early in the development of GW2 that continue to have consequences to this day. Hindsight is always 20/20.

@videoboy.4162 said:People keep claiming that ANet stopped selling armor in the gem store, because people didn't want armor in the gem store. That's false. People asked ANet for better balance between the amount of armor in the game and that in the gem store, because we went for a very long time getting the majority of armor in the gem store only. People asked for BOTH.

I believe that both the players and Anet are the problem here. On one hand player expectations are too high, but Anet is also not doing everything that they could be doing. Let me explain my reasoning.

The majority of Anet's armor releases have been completely different armor sets. For example bounty hunter armor and bladed armor do not resemble any other armors in the game in the slightest. On the other hand you have the biggest MMO in existence, World of Warcraft, where the majority of releases are either recolors (there is no dye system) or reskins. Even if you exclude the recolors, you still have tons of reskins, especially chest and legs which are usually different textures stuck over a character's body. New GW2 armor sets are actually more work and they affect your appearance more. There are also plenty of MMOs that use armors that work similar to GW2 outfits instead. This is where the players are wrong in that Anet releases less armors than other games.

However, as I said before, Anet is not doing enough. The work that they do on the quality of armors is commendable, but they are simply too afraid to make more reskins. The reskins that Anet have made so far are actually pretty good, like flamekissed, sunspear and that Halloween armor. I think they have been oversaturating weapon and backpack skins lately, with all the BLC weapons, LW weapons and backpacks, as well as all the gem store wings. I really think they should take a break from those and make more armor reskins as rewards, gem store content and maybe even BLC content. They could even make the reskin sets have some completely new pieces, like new shoulders and helms, which is typical for WoW. GW2 devs develop new helms and shoulders all the time anyway, and they'd be more appealing if they came with a full set, even if most of it is reskinned. Though I don't think that they should sacrifice work hours spent on completely new armor sets for this, just to be clear.

@"Neural.1824" said:They'd make a lot more money from me if they'd quit this "scarcity" kitten and just leave things in the store.

New player, got the pack that comes with 4000 gems and wanted to pick up something nice to level in... I noticed that half the outfits aren't purchasable. What the hell?The mind reels.

The problem with putting Armor in the game, is they need to make content for the Armor to drop in.. and.. that becomes a whole process.

What I really wish is that Outfits were more Dynamic then Armor. There are so many outfits that could just be Armor, so they end up looking "Meh.. I wish this was armor" as opposed to things like Raiment of the Lich, Mad King, Lunatic Guard, Ghostly, where there are effects going on that simple Armor skins do not provide.

Too many of them simply look like Armor.

Archived